what is the worst thing you have been called?

Options

Replies

• AllyCatXandi
    AllyCatXandi Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    My sister once told me that I was disgusting, a waste of space/money, that I didn't deserve food, and that things would be better if I wasn't around.

To be fair though, she was only about 12-13 at the time and it was said in the heat of an fight. I know she didn't mean it, and she probably wouldn't even remember the incident. To give it some context we'd only recently had our lives uprooted, and she was harbouring a lot of resentment towards our mother (who had started dating after a messy divorce).

But because we were sitting on the poverty line, I was always keenly aware of every cent that was spent on me. I had a job so that I could pay for my own clothes and things, and saved up in case an unexpected situation requiring money arose. If there was one thing I didn't want, it was to be a burden, and I was feeling guilty enough having to live off the charity of wealthier relatives. This was also around the time I had started to put on weight - not enough to whack me over the 'normal' BMI range (at 135lbs), but enough to make me uncomfortable in my own skin. She was always the athletic one in the family, and weight is something she's never struggled with.

So to hear that from her hit pretty hard. There are a lot of lousy things I've been called (by classmates, frienemies, now-estranged relatives, strangers, etc.), but that was one that actually stung. And if I'm going to be completely honest, after that I stopped eating. It took three days and nearly passing out to realise I was being stupid. So I hit up Maccas for a '$5 Feed' (~1,200 calories) after school. And it was bloody delicious.
  • txteva
    txteva Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My mum told me I was too fat to have a boyfriend and no one would want me as a friend when I was about 14. Yeah that kinda stuck with me for life.
  • Yiazach
    Yiazach Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    My mum told me I was too fat to have a boyfriend and no one would want me as a friend when I was about 14. Yeah that kinda stuck with me for life.

Okay we re all adults now responsible for our own bodies. But i just dont get it how many parents fail so hard at educating their children nutrition wise and then blame them and cause emotional trauma.
  • txteva
    txteva Posts: 29 Member
    Options

Okay we re all adults now responsible for our own bodies. But i just dont get it how many parents fail so hard at educating their children nutrition wise and then blame them and cause emotional trauma.

About 10 years later I quoted this back to her - she didn't remember saying it.

She did teach me what was good to eat but we had big portions and I was bullied a lot in school (weight/glasses/geek) which lead to comfort eating. In fact her more or less ban on chocolate meant I was more likely to over eat it.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I was walking with a friend who was very short and thin and I'm pretty tall and was pretty big - well I still think I am. A guy yelled from across the street "why is she so skinny and the other one so fat?"

I don't know why I heard that loud and clear but any other insult just went in one ear and out the next...
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Someone once told me I looked like Monica Lewinksy.

Thanks.
  • Triciad811
    Triciad811 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    When I was a teenager, my mom used to tell me that I had better study hard because I wasn't the pretty one.....

I have been called a lot of other things .... but that by far was the worst.
  • PhoenixWithoutAshes1
    Options
    Obese....by my doctor...referring to my BMI. Good thing I like the guy.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Namitha - an Indian actress who is pretty but HUGE :( !

Do you mean this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Namitha actress?!

Huge isn't quite how i'd describe her.

She is GORGEOUS!!
  • mellyrimmer
    mellyrimmer Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I overheard my sister's husband telling her that I have 'an ugly nose and no figure'....in response to her asking 'why can't I be the prettier sister?'. After he had finished slagging me off, she said 'thanks, that's made me feel much better'.

As far as they know, I never heard this conversation. Even though I know it was mostly just to make her feel better, there are plenty of ways that he could have made her feel better without making such hurtful comments about her own sister. Why not tell her how beautiful she is, instead of just saying how ugly I am? It's so messed up!
  • PhoenixWithoutAshes1
    Options
    A horrible response to a question loaded with low self-esteem issues. And, not wanting to sound like a creeper, an incorrect response judging by your pic.
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    Options
    "Slow"

:)
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    Wow! First, let me just say...I don't know a single person in this thread...but I love all of you. Those of us who have been verbally abused can take heart in the fact that we are ALL HERE...trying to better ourselves...for OURSELVES! I have my own story...but first, I must admit that halfway through reading this thread...I sent texts to a couple of my close friends. I happen to be a VERY outspoken person, and I asked them if I had ever said anything to them that hurt their feelings or stuck with them. I needed a reality check, because honestly...I have probably said things to people thinking it was "helping" when in fact, it could have been hurting them. Thankfully, those people (who took entirely TOO long to think about it, and had me panicking!!! Ha!) told me that, no, nothing came to mind. My story is a long one, and I tend to pull TL;DR comments, but I'll try to make it short:

Sheltered my entire life...until high school, I went to the same school system with the same people. I was friends with just about everyone. Then, in the middle of my freshman year of high school, my mother moved in with my (now ex-) stepdad. He lived in Austin, Texas...and I had grown up in the suburbs of Birmingham, Alabama. Yeah...culture shock, much?! Again, I was sheltered and spoiled rotten. I went to a private school. Dated the most popular guy that went to that school. Yada yada yada. Anyway, no one really made fun of anyone there...everyone kind of got along. (I know...weird for a high school, but anyway.) Then, during my junior year of high school, the oh-so-popular boyfriend had gone off to college, and I started hanging out with some people that didn't go to my school. I was 16 when I met "tall, handsome, 19 year old, who had his own apartment". Needless to say, the summer between my junior and senior years in high school, I lost my virginity to this man-boy. He had me convinced that we could run off together and live a wonderful life. So...that's what I did. He took me all the way to Michigan right before I turned 17. (At the time, 17 was "legal age" in Michigan.) He took me as far away from everything and everyone I knew as he could. He kept me isolated. The physical and sexual abuse was bad enough...BUT...the verbal abuse was the hardest to get over. It was easy for him to practically brainwash me. Here I was...a sheltered 16 year old...away from anyone who could tell me anything different than what he told me. He spent close to a year convincing me that I was worthless...I was crazy...no one would EVER love a piece of *kitten* like me...blah blah blah. He got me pregnant, and the day before my 17th birthday...I was almost 5 months pregnant...he beat my daughter straight out of me. He told me that I should have taken better care of myself. I believed him. ANYWAY...this went on for a couple of years until I finally got away from him right when I turned 19. I literally had to "re-learn" how to be ME. I had to learn to drive...(he never "allowed" me to get a driver's license)...I had to learn how to trust people. It was awful. I spent that first year away from him drinking myself into oblivion every single day. Then...a light switch went off. I realized that all I was doing was allowing him to still have power over me. To this day...(I will be 33 in a couple of days)...he has kept "tabs" on me. He knows exactly where I live, even though I live in Alabama again (with my AMAZING husband! *smile*)...and he lives in Texas. He still tries to "get" to me...and guess what! I don't let him. Ever. It took years for me to not flinch when someone near me raised their hand really quickly. It took me years to believe that I could actually be loved for who I am. It took me years to finally figure OUT who I really am.

The thing is...it would be easy for me to play "victim". He did some unthinkable things to me. However, when I look back on it...it's almost like I'm watching a movie of someone else's life. I am SO blessed that I had so many people who loved me through it. I know a lot of people don't. I just had to get to the point where I could say, "The past is going to remain where it belongs...in the past." I had to make a choice...either let him win...or take my power back. So...I took my power back. I have the usual self esteem issues like most women...but nothing like before. Plus, I finally married a man who tells me 20 times a day (no lie) that I am amazing and beautiful EXACTLY the way I am, and that he feels like the luckiest man alive to call me his wife. :-)

I'm so proud of all of you for stepping up and saying what people have said to you in your lives that affected you. I encourage all of you to make a choice TODAY to not let those nasty people any more power over you. I know...it's much easier said than done...but you are ALL worthy of love...no matter WHAT size, shape, color, ethnicity, religion or anything else!

Sending hugs to each of you! :-)

ETA: I should've mentioned...along the way, a lot of people told me I should get my GED since I left school before I graduated...but once I knew I could do ANYTHING I set my mind to, I went to school at night and got my highschool diploma...plus some college. :-) Take that, jerk! :-)

Wow! you are an awesome woman, just because you were able to get away from the abuser. I've met a few ladies who were letting their boyfriends beat on them, and would wear long sleeves and makeup and whatever else to hide the bruises they received. Whenever anyone told them to get out of that relationship, they would say something like, "Why, the next guy I get with will do the same?" No they won't! If my husband ever struck me I would divorce him in a heartbeat. My husband, like yours tells me multiple times a day how much he loves me, is always complimenting me, and encouraging me. He always brings a smile to my face even on the most stressful days.

My story is lot different, but still similar in the fact I was abused in almost every way possible. To sum up, my parents were horrible and never stuck up for me. My mom was nice and she was very book smart and would help with schoolwork whenever I asked. She also had severe mood swings, she was a thrower and I had to duck and dodge to avoid the dishes or whatever she flung my way. She once threw me up against a metal file cabinet, and dented it with my body, another time, she beat me with a blow drier until my back was so bruised and bloody I couldn't sit up in my desk chair at school for about a week. My dad abused me emotionally, by telling me daily how worthless I was and I should be more like my 'perfect' older brother (we are 18 months apart), he played sports and was active in youth group. My parents also always yelled at each other, and I remember crying myself to sleep at night wishing they'd stop, and just get a divorce like my friends parents did. My brother and I fought so much we had to go to separate schools, they paid for him to go to private school, while I stayed in public school. I was bullied and made fun of at school from K-12 on a regular basis, I only had a few friends and was never popular. Oh, when I was 8 years old I had a slumber party with 12 girl friends at my house, plus my 14 year old neighbor to 'watch' us, so my folks didn't have too. Well my neighbor she molested every single one of us girls that night. Nothing was done about it. I told my parents, they talked to the teen and her parents, whom denied everything. I was yelled at and grounded for making up stories about the 'nice' neighbors. My parents got pregnant again when I was 9, my brother 10, so in 4th grade I became my baby brothers babysitter. I had no choice in the matter, they never made my older brother help. I love my baby brother, but I feel more like a mother than a sister to him. I was so used to being mistreated my entire life, that I was depressed and very suicidal, I had made 3 failed attempts by the age of 16. I became overweight in high school because food was my comfort, and I did not do any extracurricular activities, because I thought whats the point I will just be horrible at it, because nothing I do is good or right. Everything changed when I was 17, I met a good looking boy from a different high school, he was 18 and he talked to me and wanted to get to know me and treated me with respect, kindness, and I didn't know how to cope because he was a true gentleman and I had never met one of those before. He even asked permission to hug me the 1st time, because he "didn't want to overstep boundaries or get kicked in the balls." lol now ain't that sweet. Well long story short we got married 2 years later, he has helped me gain self-esteem, confidence, find my voice, and the list goes on and on. I truly believe If I didn't meet him when I did, I would be dead. So yes, words hurt and can destroy peoples life's. It destroyed mine until I reclaimed it with my help of my wonderful husband.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    When I was a teenager, my mom used to tell me that I had better study hard because I wasn't the pretty one.....

I have been called a lot of other things .... but that by far was the worst.

My dad told me I would never graduate high school. By golly I did and I went on to college too.
  • reddaddie
    reddaddie Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Pizza Face by a kid in HS, I had bad acne.
  • MoonDancer63
    Options
    you're gorgeous:smile:
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant with my son an older grandma type lady said I looked like a baby whale.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    honey....... by a really pervy old guy creeping me at work

Look, I'm SORRY, ok?

Hmm... when I was six or so, my mom told me very matter-of-factly that I was mentally retarded, and had inherited the trait from my father. She said this explained our shared inability to do anything right. Neither of us were mentally retarded, in fact.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Oh a few, but karma is such a cruel b_tch, and I've been lucky to watch from the sidelines and watch her do her job to perfection.

Age and success are a beautiful confidence booster
  • fiercemomma85
    fiercemomma85 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I really never got made fun of all that much, but I will NEVER forget this kid in my grade in elementary called me Mrs. Piggy, that hurt me so bad!