Big 4 Lifts, What Muscles are Left Out?

Options

Replies

• sluggz
    sluggz Posts: 134
    Options

agree with this last statement. If the lats aren't engaged in any of the big 4, you're not doing them as well as you could be.

I think this is a really important thing to remember- the scapula MUST be protracted while dead lifting- and I feel that as deeply in my back as super wide grip pull ups.

You MUST engage your back to keep your chest up. It surprises me to know end how people buckle half way up- and I forget that people- women especially tend to forget that part.

and this same stabilization should be used to create a shelf for squats... same for bench... same for OHP.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

agree with this last statement. If the lats aren't engaged in any of the big 4, you're not doing them as well as you could be.

I think this is a really important thing to remember- the scapula MUST be protracted while dead lifting- and I feel that as deeply in my back as super wide grip pull ups.

You MUST engage your back to keep your chest up. It surprises me to know end how people buckle half way up- and I forget that people- women especially tend to forget that part.

and this same stabilization should be used to create a shelf for squats... same for bench... same for OHP.

I find it weakest for my bench and OHP. I'm definitely legs-centric. I can feel it with OHP and bench- but it's just NOT the same feeling. But yes- if you aren't using those lats to get you stable and ready to press- something's not quiet right.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Good post! I have been wondering about this with the 5x5 program.

I so S L 5x5, but change it to hit other muscles I think I need work on, or skip stuff that I think I am fine skipping to work on other stuff(because I inly have so much time in my day)...it's like customized, flexible Strong Lifts.

I add wrist curls. Holding a small weight in my hand and lifting my hand UP. I play conga drums and those top of the forearm muscles get so sore!!
    I doubt many people,add those muscles in to their weight program, though.

I like doing bench dips. My goal is to do full body dips.
    I really need to research more which muscles are needed for which lifts or which day to day functions.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    if it weren't for flys i honestly dont think my chest would grow at all lol
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    bump because I am learning
  • sluggz
    Options

I so S L 5x5, but change it to hit other muscles I think I need work on, or skip stuff that I think I am fine skipping to work on other stuff(because I inly have so much time in my day)...it's like customized, flexible Strong Lifts.

I hope you're not skipping the main lifts in order to do something like wrist curls... not that you cant do wrist curls, but do them after the big lifts. The main lifts are about training economy, if there's one thing to take away from this post - IMHO - its that the big 4 are "full body" lifts. You can hit a vast majority of musculature in one set. That's training economy (and time economy!) Do whatever isolation work you want/need, but AFTER doing the compound work.
  • 3foldchord
    Options

I hope you're not skipping the main lifts in order to do something like wrist curls... not that you cant do wrist curls, but do them after the big lifts. The main lifts are about training economy, if there's one thing to take away from this post - IMHO - its that the big 4 are "full body" lifts. You can hit a vast majority of musculature in one set. That's training economy (and time economy!) Do whatever isolation work you want/need, but AFTER doing the compound work.

Thanks.
    I always do squats, and change up the other lifts. I can,t do more than 2 of the main lifts a session, and only do lift twice a week. It feels super wimpy to me, but due to a couple different chronic illnesses, I get sick when I do more. (BTDT when I first started)
    Like today was squats, rows, bicep curls. The next time might be squats, Bench press, wrist curls. (I am taking a break from OHP and Deadlift. I love DeadLifts, BTW)
    but, you are correct is thinking. I need to learn more knowledge and when and what to lift/work. That's part of why I'm here though. Like, I have little idea what exactly you mean by training economy, I assume it,s biting multiple muscles at once, but it is something will go research now.
  • 3foldchord
    Options
    bump because I am learning
    me, too

:smile:
  • 3foldchord
    Options
    Still do your strong lifts, just add some isolation work also. Not too much though. Don't get carried away. Just enough. The isolation work should support your big lifts, not detract from them. Also, I think you should work on your weaknesses, not on things you're good at or strong on. If your squats are not progressing properly, focus on things that might help your squat. One thing many people ignore with the squat is hip and calf flexibility, but it's probably one of the most important aspects of properly squatting. That is just one example. So, you might decide to take up yoga, to try and add flexibility into your routines overall.

How do I know if I need help with hip or calf flexibility? And. I understand how a hip can be flexible, it,s a joint area. A calf is a calf. Do you mean the knee joint? Or the ankles?
    I should do yoga. It bores the snot out of me.i tell myself to do it weekly, but it ends up more like twice a week, but that week is only every 2-3 months. I do some sciatic nerve stretches before or after I lift. Hit 41 and had to start taking care of that issue.
  • 3foldchord
    Options

I googled protracted scapula muscles, didn't find much.
    Well, watched a M. rippletoe video on scapula while dead lifting.

And how could my back NOT be engaged if those are the muscles I,m using?

(Serious questions, I am trying to learn all the good info on how to lift and am not sure what you mean. I think I need pictures and a diagram...LOL)
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

(Serious questions, I am trying to learn all the good info on how to lift and am not sure what you mean. I think I need pictures and a diagram...LOL)

You could look up "shoulder packing". Basically you want to get your shoulders down and back. You also want to do an "abdominal brace" at the same time and while you are at it you might want to look up flexing your pelvic floor. You can practice doing all of these at the same time while sitting at your computer.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Still do your strong lifts, just add some isolation work also. Not too much though. Don't get carried away. Just enough. The isolation work should support your big lifts, not detract from them. Also, I think you should work on your weaknesses, not on things you're good at or strong on. If your squats are not progressing properly, focus on things that might help your squat. One thing many people ignore with the squat is hip and calf flexibility, but it's probably one of the most important aspects of properly squatting. That is just one example. So, you might decide to take up yoga, to try and add flexibility into your routines overall.

How do I know if I need help with hip or calf flexibility? And. I understand how a hip can be flexible, it,s a joint area. A calf is a calf. Do you mean the knee joint? Or the ankles?
    I should do yoga. It bores the snot out of me.i tell myself to do it weekly, but it ends up more like twice a week, but that week is only every 2-3 months. I do some sciatic nerve stretches before or after I lift. Hit 41 and had to start taking care of that issue.

Try to do this routine a couple time per week. It should really help with any mobility issues.

http://youtu.be/FSSDLDhbacc

With the calve or ankle flexibility it is called ankle dorsiflexion. Working on this can help you get lower in the squat without your heels wanting to come up.
  • 3foldchord
    Options
    On the calf, no I mean the calf. I have very tight calves. I cannot properly flex my feet at the ankles when I go down into the hole on a squat. So, that's something I need to work on. My body compensates with slightly bad form. I also have tight hips, so it's a double whammy problem. But, just knowing that gives me the ability to fix it.

Same on all the main lifts. You can look on YouTube or asking a trainer or post videos of your lifts here, and people will help you. Some people hire a trainer for a short time just for form help from time to time. It is very important.

Thanks for the explanation. I understand now. My husband has very tight calf and thigh muscles. He can't sit up with his legs out straight.

I think I'm OK On form. I am part of the ETP group, I just rarely go there.
    I should take my videos and let them critique. I watch lots of videos, have my kids take vids of me, then compare them with the YouTube training videos. I Should get real feed back now, I guess.

I had a trainer for a few sessions that helped with squat form, but. I wasn't impressed with their dead lift help.
  • sluggz
    Options

Thanks.
    I always do squats, and change up the other lifts. I can,t do more than 2 of the main lifts a session, and only do lift twice a week. It feels super wimpy to me, but due to a couple different chronic illnesses, I get sick when I do more. (BTDT when I first started)
    Like today was squats, rows, bicep curls. The next time might be squats, Bench press, wrist curls. (I am taking a break from OHP and Deadlift. I love DeadLifts, BTW)
    but, you are correct is thinking. I need to learn more knowledge and when and what to lift/work. That's part of why I'm here though. Like, I have little idea what exactly you mean by training economy, I assume it,s biting multiple muscles at once, but it is something will go research now.

Think of training economy as "bang for your buck" you get greater benefit to your whole body from doing a squat than a bicep curl.
    I obviously don't know you, or your condition, and haven't done any sort of assessment of you or your overall health or abilities, but in general...
    If a person was only able to lift 2 days a week, I think they would be best served by using a Squat/Bench, Deadlift/OHP split. That type of split will take them a long ways. If one was able to do more they could add in the assistance type lifts and see how it goes. (Assistance being rows, chins, dips, lunges, etc...)
    That would be how one can take advantage of training economy.

You just squeeze your shoulder blades back and down like you are trying to get them in your back pocket. Try to maintain that tension through the lift. You should also feel your lats flare out when doing this. I think the words "Big Back" in my head when doing this. I think it's important to note that breathing into your belly then pushing out with your abs (not pulling in) will set your lower torso up for stability and tension throughout the lift. Expanding my torso was a huge difference maker for me.
  • 3foldchord
    Options

You could look up "shoulder packing". Basically you want to get your shoulders down and back.
    Ah-ha, layman's terms... I work on my getting my shoulders down and back all the time. Good to know.
    You also want to do an "abdominal brace" at the same time and while you are at it you might want to look up flexing your pelvic floor. You can practice doing all of these at the same time while sitting at your computer.
    Try to do this routine a couple time per week. It should really help with any mobility issues.
    http://youtu.be/FSSDLDhbacc

Off to google more. TY
  • 3foldchord
    Options

If a person was only able to lift 2 days a week, I think they would be best served by using a Squat/Bench, Deadlift/OHP split. That type of split will take them a long ways. If one was able to do more they could add in the assistance type lifts and see how it goes. (Assistance being rows, chins, dips, lunges, etc...)

Thanks. I needed to switch things up. (Gosh, I get bored easily). I,ll try that split yup suggested for the next 6 weeks, till my brain explodes and I need to switch something again.
    Is the squats once a week enough? SL 5x5 has you doing them every lift day.
    You just squeeze your shoulder blades back and down like you are trying to get them in your back pocket. Try to maintain that tension through the lift. You should also feel your lats flare out when doing this.

I think that sounds opposite of what I saw in the Mark Rippetoe video. Of course, I could be totally misunderstanding both of you. So much of this still seems like a foreign language.
  • sluggz
    Options

Thanks. I needed to switch things up. (Gosh, I get bored easily). I,ll try that split yup suggested for the next 6 weeks, till my brain explodes and I need to switch something again.
    Is the squats once a week enough? SL 5x5 has you doing them every lift day.
    You just squeeze your shoulder blades back and down like you are trying to get them in your back pocket. Try to maintain that tension through the lift. You should also feel your lats flare out when doing this.

I think that sounds opposite of what I saw in the Mark Rippetoe video. Of course, I could be totally misunderstanding both of you. So much of this still seems like a foreign language.

stronglifts shows a split like this:

Workout A
    Squat 5×5
    Bench Press 5×5
    Barbell Rows 5×5

Workout B
    Squat 5×5
    Overhead Press 5×5
    Deadlift 1×5

If you can handle that, do it that way. just do it 2 days a week instead of 3. Still the same concept.