Big 4 Lifts, What Muscles are Left Out?

Options

Replies

• 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Started SL dong it the recommended 3 days a week. After 4 weeks. I was feeling bad, and ended up with Bronchitis (my get sick easily when I get worn down)
    So I switched to 2 days a week, but that was still too much. So I am now doing :
    Tuesday : squats and bench press and wrist curls.
    Fridays : squats and rows and bench dips

I guess that's 2 full body lifts and one isolated?

A third day of the week, I go for a bike ride or do body weight, a few things from the You Are Your own gym book

And that is a very full week for me.

I am in the process of making a new schedule right now . More like 'cleaning up and rdefining' my current schedule.

So all this info has been helpful, THANKS! Sounds like I need to work in DL and or OHP.
  • sluggz
    sluggz Posts: 134
    Options
    Started SL dong it the recommended 3 days a week. After 4 weeks. I was feeling bad, and ended up with Bronchitis (my get sick easily when I get worn down)
    So I switched to 2 days a week, but that was still too much. So I am now doing :
    Tuesday : squats and bench press and wrist curls.
    Fridays : squats and rows and bench dips

I guess that's 2 full body lifts and one isolated?

A third day of the week, I go for a bike ride or do body weight, a few things from the You Are Your own gym book

And that is a very full week for me.

I am in the process of making a new schedule right now . More like 'cleaning up and rdefining' my current schedule.

So all this info has been helpful, THANKS! Sounds like I need to work in DL and or OHP.
    its not a "need to". It's a "want to". If you don't want to do them, don't. You don't have to do them. It depends on your goals and what YOU want.
    I was just trying to make a point about training economy is all.
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I think the glutes are often forgotten. They get some work during deadlifts but not nearly enough. Unless you're doing hip thrusts and glute bridges, you're doing yourself a disservice.

Those glute bridges are an oldy but goody that I had forgotten about. I just started doing these as they were part of a butt challenge:wink: . Step ups also really work the glutes. Not mention elevated lunges and single leg deadlifts.

A lot of interesting info in this thread. No SS or SL for me, just my own varied weight routine. I'm learning a lot from you all.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I only lift twice a week (if I'm lucky) for 30-45 minutes each time. If I make the gym my routines are:

A:
    Squat
    Barbell bench
    Dumbbell row
    Dumbbell shoulder

B:
    Deads
    OHP
    Pendlay Row
    Barbell bench
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    This thread is relevant to my interests.
  • 3foldchord
    Options

its not a "need to". It's a "want to". If you don't want to do them, don't. You don't have to do them. It depends on your goals and what YOU want.
    I was just trying to make a point about training economy is all.

Thanks, you did well explaining it.
  • 3foldchord
    Options
    I only lift twice a week (if I'm lucky) for 30-45 minutes each time. If I make the gym my routines are:

A:
    Squat
    Barbell bench
    Dumbbell row
    Dumbbell shoulder

B:
    Deads
    OHP
    Pendlay Row
    Barbell bench

About how many reps.
    I think if I lowered my reps I could get more types of lifts in.
    I am doing the full amount of reps. 3-4 sets of 5 reps at different warm up amounts, plus the 5x5.
    Maybe I will lower my reps so I can get in the different lifts.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

A:
    Squat
    Barbell bench
    Dumbbell row
    Dumbbell shoulder

B:
    Deads
    OHP
    Pendlay Row
    Barbell bench

About how many reps.
    I am doing the full amount of reps. 3-4 sets of 5 reps at different warm up amounts, plus the 5x5.

I find when I lower the reps- the weight goes WAY up- and then I'm there just as long if not longer. several sets of 80-90% one rep max takes me a hot minute to get through.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

A:
    Squat
    Barbell bench
    Dumbbell row
    Dumbbell shoulder

B:
    Deads
    OHP
    Pendlay Row
    Barbell bench

About how many reps.

I find when I lower the reps- the weight goes WAY up- and then I'm there just as long if not longer. several sets of 80-90% one rep max takes me a hot minute to get through.

Agreed. When you lift in that 85% to 100% range it's actually recommended to take anywhere from 2 to 5 minutes between sets, especially when doing singles. Working in the 65% - 75% range is definitely different and those exercises don't take me nearly as long.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    yeah- working up to your 1 rmp is NOT something to do on a Monday at 6 PM LOL- that definitely pisses some folks off. and it's just rude.

I do those types of workouts Friday, Saturday, Sunday night. yeah- I'm a loser I'm at the gym my whole weekend at night. Sue me.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    yeah- working up to your 1 rmp is NOT something to do on a Monday at 6 PM LOL- that definitely pisses some folks off. and it's just rude.

I do those types of workouts Friday, Saturday, Sunday night. yeah- I'm a loser I'm at the gym my whole weekend at night. Sue me.

I usually just ending-up pissing off some people that use the equipment for stupid **** or flat-out don't know how to use it, so I really don't care most of the time if I use a rack for an hour. LOL
  • JoRocka
    Options
    we have enough people trying to do stuff in the squat rack- and I work there... so I have to be a good "steward" as it were.

But yeah- most of the time when my buddy and I are squatting- we'll tie it up for almost 90 minutes.... and not a single *kitten* was given that day.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    i try to move it a long as quick as i can with out actually compromising on rest time in those situations
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I've learned to just let people work in. I used to ask them to wait (not like a douche, but only because I was concerned with my rest timing) but I've resigned to just taking longer rests if it comes to that, and not worrying about it.

Only time I won't is if the guy is doing deads and just needs the bar. I'll point him to another bar or ask him to wait.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    that works if you guys are doing the same things... OR work at a similar weight level. one of my friends was going to work in with me- but he was doing heavy back squats- and I was doing front squats... and I have a vagina... which means- his back squat is like 10 times my front squat.

I just gave up and said you take it. I don't want to be bothered with loading and unloading all that weight.

Pet peeve of mine... please don't ask to work in with me if it requires a full reconfiguation of the set up- like If I'm doing inverted rows on the smith machine... and you want to do shoulder presses with the bench. Please.

just no.

that pisses me the **** off.
  • 3foldchord
    Options

Another newbie question.... 80-90% of what? My max , I assume? But I am not sure if the max I have done so the max of my potential.
    And my max now are lower than early August. I still am not filly back after bronchitis.
    (Thankfully, I lift at home , so no one waiting on me and no one to wait on.... If i do DeadLifts, I go to my dad's, he has more/better weights-bars.)
  • JoRocka
    Options

Another newbie question.... 80-90% of what? My max , I assume? But I am not sure if the max I have done so the max of my potential.
    And my max now are lower than early August. I still am not filly back after bronchitis.
    (Thankfully, I lift at home , so no one waiting on me and no one to wait on.... If i do DeadLifts, I go to my dad's, he has more/better weights-bars.)

80-90% of your one rep max. yes you are correct.

Go with the max you have- if you are at 80-90% you won't be able to do more than 1 or 2 reps. The closer you get to 100% of your max- then the fewer reps you do.

it's simply a way of qualifying so we can do the same workout- with the same rate of exertion.

Like if I say we are doing a sprint/dead lift workout.
    I'm doing 185 lbs- as many reps as I can combined with sprints... to you that might mean 0 reps- you might not be able to lift 185- but for me that's just over 50% of my 1 rpm.
    To my friend- that's too light- he'll be there all day banging them out.

But if I say 65% of our 1 rpm- for you that's 100 lbs- for me that's 185- for him that's 250. then we can all do the same TYPE of work out.

it just gives percentage so someone can get a feel for the rate of exertion. It's not that serious to know what it is- as long as you know that you are working hard.

The other time it comes into play is if you are doing a set program- and it calls for 5 reps of your 75% 1RMP... you would need to know that. Just work with what your closest 1 rmp is- I rarely lift with a spotter- so I know roughly what it is based on when I start to feel I need a spotter- even though I don't max out my bench often.

just a way to give you a point of reference.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    that works if you guys are doing the same things... OR work at a similar weight level. one of my friends was going to work in with me- but he was doing heavy back squats- and I was doing front squats... and I have a vagina... which means- his back squat is like 10 times my front squat.

I just gave up and said you take it. I don't want to be bothered with loading and unloading all that weight.

Pet peeve of mine... please don't ask to work in with me if it requires a full reconfiguation of the set up- like If I'm doing inverted rows on the smith machine... and you want to do shoulder presses with the bench. Please.

just no.

that pisses me the **** off.

I know what you mean, it's a pain. For the time being though, the weight isn't really enough to matter, and nobody in my gym squats more than two plates right now.

Also, most people's routines are just 3 sets of lighter weights, and they don't rest for ****. So they're usually out of my hair pretty quickly.
  • mikemc620
    mikemc620 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I lift at home and don't really have to worry much about when I can get all of my lifts in and how long I take.
  • connieleavens
    connieleavens Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Bump