what's with all the hate?

Options

Replies

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I am sorry, this should be really off topic but these last few days I have noticed a surge in hate comments to threads and just basically people trying to find excuses to start an argument. Why is that? Why the irritation/frustration?
    I know it looks like everybody's doing just because these argumentative people make more of a fuss than everybody else, so they seem to be many more than they actually are but really, I see people ridiculing things like loss of water weight, dietary choices, plateaus, when really, aren't we all on MFP just to feel encouraged and focused on our personal weight loss journeys? Why trying to put others down? it's not even constructive criticism, it's just trying to be borderline rude.
    I haven't been here long, so maybe someone with more experience can explain it to me: why does it seem like arguments can start from basically every single thread in every single forum???
    What does any of that have to do with hate?
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    There's a lot of safety in anonymity.
    And on all sides of it.

1- It's safe to ask the world's stupidest question anonymously.

b- It's safe to post a sarcastic response anonymously.

3- It's safe to read a sarcastic response anonymously.

Apparently some people are unaware of part 3.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    Is it hate or is it people posting information that isn't correct and then not liking being corrected?

No. It's hate, alright.

Best to report any posts which cross the line to the moderators. Don't respond to the people that post inflammatory comments, just put them on ignore. They want to engage you - they want to upset you, it's all they know. Pity them.

Implying people are pitiable could conceivably upset someone, and make them want to engage you.
    What else would you expect from a troll?
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    Not enough people drinking thats what!
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    drinking.gif
  • vanillabeans001
    Options
    i don't recall imposing anything on anyone.
  • theopenforum
    theopenforum Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    well I got 3 reasons
    1. haters

2. when you do something successfully whether it is to lose weight or build muscle; people tend to stand by the method that worked for them. But, they fail to realize that this method isn't for everyone it just happened to be what worked for you. So they start arguments with others about health fitness and nutrition cause they feel their way is right.

3. People with self esteem issues that want to feel better than everyone and jump on here to make themselves look better by comparison even if they cannot relate to weight loss.

In any event this is the minority and does not represent the mass as a whole. I would implore you to try to hang out with the more positive people on the forum to get a good idea of how this community really is :)

Or you can tell me who is givin ya problems and Ill bash their skull in :P

Cheers,

Tof

You could only come up with 3 reasons? That is very narrow minded of you.

There is also:

1. You are being oversensitive.
    2. You're mistaking the tone and/or intent of the person's post.
    3. You are wrong and hate being told so.

3 more:

1) people's moods can change from day to day
    2) people have different "styles" of communicating and just simply don't "click".
    3) I don't really have a third, but just wanna be part of the group.

jeeezz im not about to think of all the reasons people are *kitten* then we'd be here all night ^^ Those are just the main 3 that came to mind.

later
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I don't see much hate, just a lot of people who get easily butthurt.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    well I got 3 reasons
    1. haters

2. when you do something successfully whether it is to lose weight or build muscle; people tend to stand by the method that worked for them. But, they fail to realize that this method isn't for everyone it just happened to be what worked for you. So they start arguments with others about health fitness and nutrition cause they feel their way is right.

3. People with self esteem issues that want to feel better than everyone and jump on here to make themselves look better by comparison even if they cannot relate to weight loss.

In any event this is the minority and does not represent the mass as a whole. I would implore you to try to hang out with the more positive people on the forum to get a good idea of how this community really is :)

Or you can tell me who is givin ya problems and Ill bash their skull in :P

Cheers,

Tof

You could only come up with 3 reasons? That is very narrow minded of you.

There is also:

1. You are being oversensitive.
    2. You're mistaking the tone and/or intent of the person's post.
    3. You are wrong and hate being told so.

3 more:

1) people's moods can change from day to day
    2) people have different "styles" of communicating and just simply don't "click".
    3) I don't really have a third, but just wanna be part of the group.

jeeezz im not about to think of all the reasons people are *kitten* then we'd be here all night ^^ Those are just the main 3 that came to mind.

later

I pointed it out because you listed only reasons that put the "rude" posters in a bad light, despite the option chosen.
  • slimbettie
    slimbettie Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Hangry :tongue:
  • Beautyne
    Options
    I am sorry, this should be really off topic but these last few days I have noticed a surge in hate comments to threads and just basically people trying to find excuses to start an argument. Why is that? Why the irritation/frustration?
    I know it looks like everybody's doing just because these argumentative people make more of a fuss than everybody else, so they seem to be many more than they actually are but really, I see people ridiculing things like loss of water weight, dietary choices, plateaus, when really, aren't we all on MFP just to feel encouraged and focused on our personal weight loss journeys? Why trying to put others down? it's not even constructive criticism, it's just trying to be borderline rude.
    I haven't been here long, so maybe someone with more experience can explain it to me: why does it seem like arguments can start from basically every single thread in every single forum???

AMEN SISTER
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    This place is nothing. If you want to see people get REALLY mean, go visit a parenting forum. Nothing unleashes latent insecurity faster than hearing some parents do things "different".

I am guessing that they probably wouldn't find this funny:

ND6gtHr.jpg

:laugh:
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    This place is nothing. If you want to see people get REALLY mean, go visit a parenting forum. Nothing unleashes latent insecurity faster than hearing some parents do things "different".

^ I spent 9 months on a baby board posting GIFS. It was brutal. All the "Are hot cheetos bad for my baby?" posts.

Visit a gardening forum... I couldn't believe it, I had no idea that their was so much turmoil when it comes to proper pruning techniques for roses.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

^ I spent 9 months on a baby board posting GIFS. It was brutal. All the "Are hot cheetos bad for my baby?" posts.

Visit a gardening forum... I couldn't believe it, I had no idea that their was so much turmoil when it comes to proper pruning techniques for roses.

15xs64x.jpg
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Next we'll be arguing about whether eggs should be peeled from the big end or the little end...
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Next we'll be arguing about whether eggs should be peeled from the big end or the little end...

J4YiGkj.jpg

Any time. Any place. :laugh:
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    oh look another thread about this....

I wonder how many we can come up with today
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    because its the internet.

Yes. Internet anonymity makes condescending, argumentative *kitten* out of normal people.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options

Lol, I peel from the middle. Amateur.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Lol, I peel from the middle. Amateur.

:laugh:

:drinker: