Horrible experience in the gym tonight

Options

Replies

• focknfree
    focknfree Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm a guy and I wouldn't go to that gym. I was a member of a small gym that fit that description. I'm now a member of a larger gym where those issues aren't nearly as bad as the small gym. Just switch gyms if you have other choices in the area you live.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    .......So I leave. Fed up and p*d off at the selfish, inconsiderate behaviour and the air of testosterone everywhere I come home and rant here. So am I being over sensitive? I am a professional female over 40 for pete's sake. Why do I feel so unable to stick up for myself? Should I complain to the manager about it? Why do guys do this? Or should i just find another gym...

Soooooooo.....the gym was crowded today, huh?

I guess that's what she's going to complain to the manager about? That the gym is too profitable and they should try to be less successful? Or maybe that the patrons don't read minds? Or that she should find a gym that's frequented by Franciscan Monks where no one is expected to use their words to get things they want? Or perhaps a gym that has fewer outbreaks of MRSA (probably)?
  • DavPul
    Options
    also bring your own music and headset and voice

fixed
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    You pay to use the equipment. They pay to use the equipment.

While you are working out are you always looking around trying to figure out if anyone else wants the equipment you are using, just in case? Or are you just focused on your own workout, but would you happily share equipment if asked?

Most people are basically pleasant if you talk to them. It may be more difficult for you as a woman because you find the guys intimidating, but assuming they aren't making a conscious effort to intimidate you directly, that is your flaw, not theirs.

Do -

Ask to work in.
    Ask how many sets they have left.
    Ask if they are using a particular bit of equipment at that precise moment.
    Report inappropriate, rude or aggressive behavior directly towards your person.

Don't -

Stand around hoping someone will notice you want something.
    Be passive aggressive.
    Report them to gym management, unless someone is blatantly rude and hogs equipment they aren't using even after you have asked.
    Paint everyone there with the same brush if one person is genuinely rude to you.

I guarantee these simple rules are your key to gym satisfaction.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    They seem pretty rude to me.

I am so glad I had the $ to buy my own gym equipment & set it up in my house, & avoid people like this.

People like that are probably the ones who leave Methicillin Resistant Staph aureus (MRSA) on all the equipment, anyway, uugh.

Rude people are more likely to have infections?

I sincerely doubt this.

Re-read: "probably"

The skill of Reading, is something most people wish they had. It may just benefit you in life.

Are you being serious? Really? You're calling me out on reading comprehension for equating "probably" with "more likely"? What exactly do you think "probably" means?

:huh:

The CG (all hail) prohibit me from giving you the response your comment deserves. Instead, I'll just suggest that you heed your own advice. Reading...it isn't just a town in Pennsylvania.

its a railroad right? amirite?

please marry me

awwww thanks for the offer, but I'm choosing the other guys offer. the one with the $200 bux.
  • D8vidFitness
    Options
    9/10 times, most guys would let me work inbetween their sets if I asked. I'm not the typical "yo dude how many sets you got?"
    I'm well mannered and polite, but not being a wuss about it. If it's bigger weights such as the bench or squat rack, I simply let them know I'm waiting for them, no rush. The longest wait I had was roughly 10 minutes. All I did was stretch and hover around them or check my text.

The the answer to your solution, is to courage up and ask. Don't judge people for what they are, I've met some of the nicest muscular guys at my gym. Just need to show respect.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

I am so glad I had the $ to buy my own gym equipment & set it up in my house, & avoid people like this.

People like that are probably the ones who leave Methicillin Resistant Staph aureus (MRSA) on all the equipment, anyway, uugh.

I sincerely doubt this.

The skill of Reading, is something most people wish they had. It may just benefit you in life.

I don't even think rude people probably have a greater occurrence of that bacteria on them.
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    also bring your own music and headset and voice

fixed

ty lol
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    9/10 times, most guys would let me work inbetween their sets if I asked. I'm not the typical "yo dude how many sets you got?"
    I'm well mannered and polite, but not being a wuss about it. If it's bigger weights such as the bench or squat rack, I simply let them know I'm waiting for them, no rush. The longest wait I had was roughly 10 minutes. All I did was stretch and hover around them or check my text.

The the answer to your solution, is to courage up and ask.

man up. right?

Don't judge people for what they are, I've met some of the nicest muscular guys at my gym
    me too. some of my best friends are men.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    (Hey now...let's not lose sight of the important issue here...and that is how my equating "more likely" with "probably" is a failure in my reading comprehension.)

Strange. According to various dictionaries, probably means "Most likely"

You were one word off Joff *pats on the back*
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    (Hey now...let's not lose sight of the important issue here...and that is how my equating "more likely" with "probably" is a failure in my reading comprehension.)

actually he was only two letters off.
  • DavPul
    Options

man up. right?

Don't judge people for what they are, I've met some of the nicest muscular guys at my gym
    me too. some of my best friends are men.

with $200 bucks?
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

The the answer to your solution, is to courage up and ask. Don't judge people for what they are, I've met some of the nicest muscular guys at my gym. Just need to show respect.
    this

recently I was waiting for a bench, and the guy finished his last set, so I put a weight on one side, and had to go get another one from across the way because the one I needed was missing.

Anyway there were two young muscular men doing something or other next to me, and I guess noticed that I had started to set up.

Another couple guys came over and took the one weight off when I was a few steps away, and one of the gentlemen who was working next to the bench stopped them and said this lady was using the bench.

it was very sweet and much appreciated, even though I was about to tell them myself.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

I stand corrected.

b7dbdf7f538720935689e60c070112b3.gif
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

You either have it or don't have it and there's no other option. So in this case more likely == most likely.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I'm a rude person. Does this mean I am more likely to contract MRSA or am I the point of origin? Probably both, right?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Indeed. I actually made it less probable...or said another way, less absurd of a statement.
  • DavPul
    Options
    I'm a rude person. Does this mean I am more likely to contract MRSA or am I the point of origin? Probably both, right?

ladies and gentlemen, i present to you Patient Zero
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

I sincerely doubt this.

Are you being serious? Really? You're calling me out on reading comprehension for equating "probably" with "more likely"? What exactly do you think "probably" means?

:huh:

The CG (all hail) prohibit me from giving you the response your comment deserves. Instead, I'll just suggest that you heed your own advice. Reading...it isn't just a town in Pennsylvania.

its a railroad right? amirite?

please marry me

awwww thanks for the offer, but I'm choosing the other guys offer. the one with the $200 bux.

Show20me20the20Money_thumb_500x270_72909_answer_1_xlarge.jpeg
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    9/10 times, most guys would let me work inbetween their sets if I asked.

Seriously, this! I have zero compunctions about striding right on up and asking to work in with someone. I would never interrupt a set, of course, but would wait patiently for them to finish, and then ask in a way that doesn't sound like a question. Because it's not really a question. It's just observing the formalities. We have rules about how long you can take up equipment while people are waiting, so it's really not OK to say no. The flip side of that coin is, I set the sht back up on whatever they had it when I finish my set. Etiquette is a two-way street.

If all you can manage to do is stand around all huffy being all passive-aggressive, consider practicing this to be the "grow a pair" part of your workout, because your backbone is clearly too flabby.