Horrible experience in the gym tonight

Options

Replies

• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    They seem pretty rude to me.

I am so glad I had the $ to buy my own gym equipment & set it up in my house, & avoid people like this.

People like that are probably the ones who leave Methicillin Resistant Staph aureus (MRSA) on all the equipment, anyway, uugh.
    Excuse me? I had MRSA and trust me it has nothing to do with what people are like. WHAT does that even mean?
    I'm curious as well. The only two people I know to get MRSA were my aunt and best friend. Neither lift weights. Both are nurses.

OP, maybe you should spend more time finding out how to ask nicely for the things you want instead of whining to a bunch of strangers who can't change the situation.

my granddad died of MRSA. he caught it in hospital while having routine treatment for cancer. He got it along with two other hospital superbugs (he was a tough man, it took a lot to kill him lol) but MRSA was the one that made it onto the death certificate.

to whoever made the comment about "people like that": people at the gym are not likely to be carrying MRSA unless they work in a hospital or similar (so "people like that" = doctors, nurses, paramedics, hospital volunteer staff....?). It's caused by over-use of antibiotics on a large scale (i.e. it evolved resistance to them within a healthcare setting where lots of people are on antibiotics) not by being dirty. And even if there is MRSA at the gym it's unlikely anyone will get sick from it at the gym, it's only the already vulnerable who are likely to get ill from it. It may be resistant to antibiotics, but it's not usually that much of a match for a healthy immune system, i.e. the kind of thing that will be a secondary infection or post-surgical infection when someone's system's already under stress.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I TOTALLY get where you are coming from. I find those bro types to be super intimidating so I never lifted at the gym... I'd use the machines instead of the free weights or I'd go to body pump. Body pump was always full of friendly women getting their burn on!!

I bet if you asked them to spot you they'd be more than happy to oblige. That might be less awkward than asking them to move or turn down the TV.

every class I've been to is full of fricking snobs. I am incredibly confident- and I hate going to those classes. The sea of judgemental hormones is over whelming.

Nope- I'm going to hang out with the meat heads- they are my friends and they are significantly nicer- more helpful and more friendly than almost anyone in any class.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    You know what it means. If you don't ask the CDC.

*dialsphonenumbertocdc* CAN EVERYBODY PLEASE STAPH TALKING....!?!?!?! I'M TRYNA TALK ON TEH PHONNNNNNNNEEEE!!!

16180060.jpg

MyChocolateDiary posting a picture of Sexual Chocolate?

Awesome. And I don't mean Miz.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Basically it goes like this. Most people want to get there set done and go home. Some people use the gym as a social club with there friends and barely get anything done. They know to get out of the way of the people that go there lift and get out.

1 - Ask nicely if there using the weights and that you need them for a set.
    2 - If they say yes ask how long they'll be using them and weight 2-3 minutes.
    3 - If its too long for you to wait then ask to work in with the weights since the person will need a rest period between there sets.
    4 - If they give you attitude then go complain to the desk pretty simple or go at a different time.
    5 - If they don't care at the desk just join a new gym.
  • pavrg
    pavrg Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    (Hey now...let's not lose sight of the important issue here...and that is how my equating "more likely" with "probably" is a failure in my reading comprehension.)

Strange. According to various dictionaries, probably means "Most likely"

You were one word off Joff *pats on the back*
    Except when you have an event with only two outcomes -- either someone has the bacteria or doesn't -- 'more' is the correct interpretation. The superlative form is only used to compare 3 or more things.

The dictionary uses 'most' because it is less vague in unversal application. If the dictionary said 'more' and there were greater than two possible outcomes, you wouldn't know which one is 'probably' going to happen if it defined 'probably' as 'more likely.'
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    (Hey now...let's not lose sight of the important issue here...and that is how my equating "more likely" with "probably" is a failure in my reading comprehension.)

Except when you have an event with only two outcomes -- either someone has the bacteria or doesn't -- 'more' is the correct interpretation. The superlative form is only used to compare 3 or more things.

The dictionary uses 'most' because it is less vague in unversal application. If the dictionary said 'more' and there were greater than two possible outcomes, you don't know which one is 'probably' going to happen if you define 'probably' as 'more likely.'

TL;DR - Jof was right*.

* as he usually is
  • HEATHERACU73
    HEATHERACU73 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My first job out of college was in a male-dominated industry. Even my customers (which were men) tried to intimidate me for fun because I was a young woman. I didn't know how to handle it and I wilted under the awful comments and jokes. I remember talking to my dad and the first thing he said is that men are competitive and more alpha driven than women. You might disagree, you might say that's inaccurate or sexist, but I found as I got older and less tolerant of intimidating BS stunts, that I started earning the respect of male co-workers. It's not so much the way I talk to them as it is the posture I take. Just be polite and firm when you ask for what you want. Anyone gives you crap, take out the metaphorical claws and give a swift swipe.

Or you can just change gyms. Life's short enough that you don't have to spend the energy standing up for yourself constantly.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    What you NEED to do is flash your boobies at them and then take the equipment their using without asking, this is the only way.
    genius
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    What you NEED to do is flash your boobies at them and then take the equipment their using without asking, this is the only way.
    genius
    Works better than "squirrel."
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

The dictionary uses 'most' because it is less vague in unversal application. If the dictionary said 'more' and there were greater than two possible outcomes, you wouldn't know which one is 'probably' going to happen if it defined 'probably' as 'more likely.'

Now you went and told Jof he was right. Tsk tsk.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

If only someone would have mentioned that back on page 12.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

There'll be no living with him now.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

That's probably true
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

That's probably true
    You're most likely correct.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

That's probably true
    You're most likely correct.

translation_i_see_what_you_did_there-321463.jpg
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

That's probably true

WakeUpGirl-5162.jpg
  • arcana7609
    arcana7609 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I think part of the problem is that as a woman we often take clues from people from their body language and we expect them to be reading ours. If I were using the equipment for a long period of time and saw someone lingering. I would ask them if they were wanting to use the equipment, but most men don't function this way. I think most men assume if you want something you will ask because this is what they would do. They aren't being rude by ignoring your needs, they just don't know you have any.

As others have said you have to become more comfortable with the idea that you deserve to be there just as much as anyone else and it's ok to assert yourself and speak up for what you need.

:)
  • Don't be so hard on your self.

Remember, he gym is full of different people, none of which are perfect.

Body language can play a huge roll in miss communication, sometimes what you are seeing is exactly how you should feel.

We can all have a negative day with our selves, things around us can impact us in different ways than usual.

People, guys, personal trainers are human, they go round talking **** about other members at there clubs.

Some people are on drugs this can effect the way they put them self's around the gym.

which ever it may be, don't sweat it, go back tomorrow with a **** em attitude.

get your work out in, push your self about a bit if you have to, make your own damn room.

and if they don't like it, tell them to kiss your ****ing *kitten*.

A lot of it is just ignorance and jealousy and selfishness.

And there may be nothing going on at all, it may just be you and the way your feeling that day.

I have turrets syndrome, I walk round the gym telling everybody to **** off.

Remember the gym is not just about getting fit, its recreation, if it becomes not fun anymore, get a new membership.

The guy walking around you, I think he was just making space, its rude to cross in front of people in the gym when there looking in the mirror.

take care.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I agree with a lot of the posts.

Go in there and own your space. Ask if they have finished with the bar? If you can work in with them, whatever... They are owning the space because they are confident and no one has asked them to share. Just ask, smile and say thanks.

Also, take an ipod and listen to your own music so the TV doesn't bother you. Make your headspace your own as well.

Good luck.
  • georgiaTRIs
    georgiaTRIs Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I've always found at my gym that if I ask if I can drop in between their reps they let me. We work together and reach our goals. So far----I have not had that experience. I have been a member at the same gym for 7 years so I don't know if it is because they recognize me or we have great members. Hang in there --- speak up -- reach your goal. if management won't stop them from being jerks, find a new gym. Ask your friends for recommendations.