Horrible experience in the gym tonight

Options
1121314151618»

Replies

• monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    too shy to ask them to use the equipment or how many sets they have left?.. or if you can work in?
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    I've always found at my gym that if I ask if I can drop in between their reps they let me. We work together and reach our goals. So far----I have not had that experience. I have been a member at the same gym for 7 years so I don't know if it is because they recognize me or we have great members. Hang in there --- speak up -- reach your goal. if management won't stop them from being jerks, find a new gym. Ask your friends for recommendations.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Why did you bring this monster to life?!

200-16.gif%3Fw%3D490
  • drangonfly2323
    drangonfly2323 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    So this is just my opinion but I would agree with a lot of comments and just ask them. Think of it this way you already won half the battle by putting yourself in the weight area and wanting to lift. I am a very shy person and because of that when I do go to my condo's gym I go there when no one is around, that is a personal thing and has nothing to do with the other people whom attend it. I am just not comfortable with myself and therefore I avoid it when people are there. If you are feeling intimidated you might try to see if you can go there when it is not as busy, however, if that doesnt work for you then I would just ask them, I am sure that they would be willing to move if you asked. However, ultimately if this is a problem for you and continues to be and you therefore are not getting the most out of your gym membership and workouts then I would suggest changing gyms, not necessarily because the guys are terrible and being jerks but because the situation is taking away from you and what you are trying to accomplish.

On a side note I did get upset when one of the guys at my gym moved the treadmill to face the mirror instead of outside. We only have two and well that was my favorite one, LOL. Luckily I prefer to run outside because I get bored on the treadmill but I must admit I have absolutely no desire to see myself when running, I am a hot mess.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I am just not comfortable with myself and therefore I avoid it when people are there.

this.

instead of blaming it on the meat heads and scary dudes- I wish more people saw this.

Good for you for just going when you could at a time that was more comfortable for you. That's a really important thing to realize.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I've always found at my gym that if I ask if I can drop in between their reps they let me. We work together and reach our goals. So far----I have not had that experience. I have been a member at the same gym for 7 years so I don't know if it is because they recognize me or we have great members. Hang in there --- speak up -- reach your goal. if management won't stop them from being jerks, find a new gym. Ask your friends for recommendations.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Why did you bring this monster to life?!

if i had a nickel for every time i heard that...
  • drangonfly2323
    drangonfly2323 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I am just not comfortable with myself and therefore I avoid it when people are there.

this.

instead of blaming it on the meat heads and scary dudes- I wish more people saw this.

Good for you for just going when you could at a time that was more comfortable for you. That's a really important thing to realize.

Thank you. I'm completely honest with myself. I'm getting better with being comfortable in my own skin but I know not to blame anyone but myself and to continue to improve. I use to only run in the dark now I'm running during the day. Baby steps.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

this.

Thank you. I'm completely honest with myself. I'm getting better with being comfortable in my own skin but I know not to blame anyone but myself and to continue to improve. I use to only run in the dark now I'm running during the day. Baby steps.

I think it's an amazing self assessment- you should be proud of yourself for what you are doing. Baby steps is ABSOLUTELY the way to go!!!

You'll be out there kicking *kitten* and taking names in no time!!!
  • SeanSilk
    SeanSilk Posts: 12
    Options
    I go to the gym to do what I need to do as well. I'm not there to meet a woman. I'm already engaged. But if I wasn't, I have a personal rule not to date anyone from the gym or my workplace. Most of the time those relationships don't last. Most male-female sexual relations that form at the gym are mostly based on lust.
  • tlicttbh
    tlicttbh Posts: 89
    Options
    I am sorry to hear about other's unfortunate experiences. The guys at my gym (a public recreation center) are very nice to me. I was a little worried about how the serious muscular weightlifter guys would treat me, but I have been pleasantly surprised. Whenver I have walked up to a bench or piece of equipment at the same time they do, they always are polite and offer to let me go first...almost insisting! When I need help moving some heavy weights out of the way or adjusting a machine, they are always happy to help and tell me, "Any time! No problem. Glad to help." I'm no cute young woman...I am a Senior citizen. Maybe they are being polite and nice to me because I'm a Senior citizen. In any case, for the past 4 years I've been there, I have never had a bad experience.
  • LovelyVegetarian
    LovelyVegetarian Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Join an all-women's gym. I did and it's awesome. None of this stuff goes down and I've seen it at other co-ed gyms.