Work birthday - I'm a jerk for not eating pizza and cake

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It is our culture to celebrate with food. Think about it - every holiday, every special occasion, every memorable event - the first thing we plan is the menu. The wedding cake...the cookout...the holiday meal...the birthday cake. If they look at you funny, its because you are bucking tradition, stepping outside of the comfort zone, making it ok to say no, making them think perhaps they should have been strong enough to do that to.

You are not a jerk, so ignore it and walk away. Do what you have to do and don't worry about it. Don't take things so personally. Get over yourself.

It sounds to me as though the person it bothers the most is YOU. Everyone else has already forgotten. I guarantee that they won't remember it again...until next time.

I disagree. They are not looking at her funny because they feel bad about what they are eating. I've seen that statement a bunch of times in this thread and judging people for their food choices is just wrong, whether they are eating healthy or not. They are looking at her funny because she is breaking the social contract by not participating, and in essence feel like she is rejecting them. It's not like holidays, birthdays, and celebrations come of out nowhere and you're completely blindsided. If eating healthy is important to you, bring something healthy to contribute to the celebration for everyone to share. That way people feel like you are actually participating in the group and not just showing up out of obligation. It's really not difficult.

^ the elephant in the middle of the thread.

i don't understand why people feel the need to make a scene about not eating cake or pizza or whatever at work. just take a bite. show your appreciation. stop being a martyr. it's not hard to figure out... one bite never hurt anybody. unless you are risking going into anaphalactic shock (such as with a severe peanut allergy), it's only one bite to show your appreciation and participation.

Why in the world should someone eat something they don't want to? Ever? And just to appease co-workers fragile feelings?? No. Just no.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Political correctness has killed the traditional office party, which consisted of eating decent food, downing cocktails, and having interesting conversations, so all we really have left is crappy potlucks, ordering pizza and cake, and mindless chatter about the weather or reality TV. The least we could do is adapt the eating to something healthier. I usually just take as little of the food I don’t want as possible, excuse myself like I need to make a call, get rid of the stuff, and come back 10 minutes later.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Political correctness has killed the traditional office party, which consisted of eating decent food, downing cocktails, and having interesting conversations, so all we really have left is crappy potlucks, ordering pizza and cake, and mindless chatter about the weather or reality TV. The least we could do is adapt the eating to something healthier. I usually just take as little of the food I don’t want as possible, excuse myself like I need to make a call, get rid of the stuff, and come back 10 minutes later.

potlucks aren't crappy here, actually. again, i'm really lucky. we have a wide variety of foods contributed from people from a wide variety of backgrounds so it's always interesting and delicious.

also, we drink at our office parties.

y'all don't hate! :flowerforyou:
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why the op's allergy needs to be severe for it to be ok that she doesn't eat food she doesn't want. My daughter is allergic to dairy and gets a rash head to toe any time it accidentally ends up in her food. Not sure how OPs allergy presents itself but a bite of cake to appease the office certainly doesn't sound worth a rash or the digestive problems often present with lactose intolerance or allergies.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

Yes, indeed. What we all need in addition to a dose of political correctness is the health and diet police to kill what little fun may be left.

Seriously - did you actually read what you wrote?
  • stealthq
    Options
    Boy, that escalated quickly

I get the impression there are a lot of unemployable people hanging out here.

Thirty seconds to type one-liners means we're all on welfare! You caught us!

Please send us cake and/or pizza, OP. We need jobs!

I'm thinking the people typing one-liners have no problem staying employed. Just sayin'.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Options

potlucks aren't crappy here, actually. again, i'm really lucky. we have a wide variety of foods contributed from people from a wide variety of backgrounds so it's always interesting and delicious.

I have worked primarily for large corporations and the government – no legal / HR department in their right minds would allow company sponsored drinking, there is just too much litigiousness and no one wants to get sued over some office party nonsense.

And I don’t hate – have fun at your party!
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Options
    Yes, indeed. What we all need in addition to a dose of political correctness is the health and diet police to kill what little fun may be left.

I have no interest in “policing” you or any of your coworkers that stuff your face at the office with grease, butter, and sugar, like it is the 1950s (but without the common sense of portion control). If you find “adapt the eating to something healthier” offensive, what is your purpose for being on this website, to sneer at people trying to improve their eating habits?
  • DamePiglet
    Options

I have worked primarily for large corporations and the government – no legal / HR department in their right minds would allow company sponsored drinking, there is just too much litigiousness and no one wants to get sued over some office party nonsense.

And I don’t hate – have fun at your party!

Gov't agency but is allowed to serve liquor (we have the i's dotted and t's crossed)
    Strange, but true.
    And awesome.

and thanks.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    i don't understand why people feel the need to make a scene about not eating cake or pizza or whatever at work. just take a bite. show your appreciation. stop being a martyr. it's not hard to figure out... one bite never hurt anybody. unless you are risking going into anaphalactic shock (such as with a severe peanut allergy), it's only one bite to show your appreciation and participation.

Yep. If you want to get anywhere in any organization, you need to get along. That means making compromises for the sake of being a "team player".

Doing otherwise doesn't make someone a hero, it makes them unemployable.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Yep. If you want to get anywhere in any organization, you need to get along. That means making compromises for the sake of being a "team player".

I hope that's sarcasm.
  • mammamaurer
    mammamaurer Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    So why don't you eat cake? You didn't go over that one.

i was wondering that to...
  • DamePiglet
    Options

Doesn't make an employee a 'hero' here, just someone who makes his or her own decisions.

I guess it depends on what people in the organization value. We can be social without being bullied. Probably part of the reason we actually CHOOSE to socialize with one another.

edited for agreement.
  • PrettyPearl88
    PrettyPearl88 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I politely say no thank you.

Then after more why why why I have to explain (AGAIN) that I can't eat dairy. Then whoever orders stuff says they feel bad they would have ordered me some without cheese.

I say thank you, but I'm not a pizza eater much anyway. No really it's okay.

Someone blurts out that I always eat HEALTHY - and suddenly everyone wants to know why I don't TREAT MYSELF. Then suddenly I'm a jerk and think I'm better than everyone.

I treated myself all weekend thank you and crappy cheese pizza without cheese is not all that good! The lunch I brought is way better.

I hate it when people try to force me to eat unhealthy. I don't judge them for their choice to eat 3 cupcakes, so don't judge me for my choice to eat none. :grumble:

OP, I think that you were acting perfectly fine and that some of the coworkers were simply being jerks. You had every right to refuse the food and it wasn't rude of you to do so at all in my opinion, because, as you said, it wasn't your birthday. The food was for someone else's birthday.

However, if it would have been YOUR birthday and your coworkers had gone out of their way to buy a bunch of food and sweets for YOU to celebrate YOUR day...then yes, I think it would have been very rude not to have ANY of it. In that case, the right thing to do would be to simply have a teeny tiny slice of cake or something, just to be polite. But again, since it wasn't your birthday and it wasn't all done for you, it wasn't rude of you at all to refuse. It was only rude of your coworkers to persist and then mock you for your eating habits.
  • cwaters120
    cwaters120 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Not my birthday, my boss's.

Why can't "no thank you" be enough? Twelve people in the room want to stand and discuss why the girl who brings healthy lunch every day doesn't want pizza and ice cream. It's embarrassing.

I've clearly lost a lot of weight over the last four months. About 20 lbs. Many people have commented. Why is it so crazy that I don't want pizza?

I COMPLETELY understand. Being both gluten and dairy allergic at work really bites. I get the same thing - I can't eat the pizza party food or the cakes, cookies and whatnot that people bring in and get comments and teasing. I just plain have learned not to care. I feel better NOT having it and they aren't the ones who pay the price of that sort of "indulgence". It is safer and wiser to leave it alone and just let the comments go over my head. You are always going to have SOME people that you couldn't please even standing on your head and doing what they ask, so just let the comments fly by you. Ignore them and know you are doing what you need to in order to remain healthy.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options

I'm confused by this post and your IIFYM ticker. Carry on! :drinker:
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    So it is ok to judge the eating habits of the op's co-workers, but they were out of line for judging hers?

That's extra special right there...smh
  • stealthq
    Options

I have no interest in “policing” you or any of your coworkers that stuff your face at the office with grease, butter, and sugar, like it is the 1950s (but without the common sense of portion control). If you find “adapt the eating to something healthier” offensive, what is your purpose for being on this website, to sneer at people trying to improve their eating habits?

Where the hell did you get that I was sneering at anyone's effort to improve their eating habits? I'm sneering at the notion that bringing in 'healthier' food would somehow improve the office party.

You don't see the parallel of the imposition of artificial standards (political correctness/'healthier' food) making an office party worse?

Besides, whose notion of 'healthier' should we follow? Yours? Mine? Lustig's? Atkin's? The USDA's? Please. There's no food you could possibly pick that wouldn't have someone's panties in a twist. Just eat what you want, don't eat what you don't, and bring something for yourself if you feel like it. Simple solution.

When it's your turn to bring the food, then you can pick what you'd like to bring and a different set of people will get to say "Ooh, I don't like/am allergic to/might be poisoned if I eat that!"

ETA: fixing quotes
  • jules1984
    jules1984 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    For the record I totally explained why I didn't eat cake.

I don't like sweets much, don't have a soft spot for cake, AND ICING IS DAIRY DAIRY DAIRY.

I'm not perfect. Want to watch me act like a pig? Offer me bread, pasta, or booze.

It was marble cake with a huge layer of frosting. Store bought - didn't look all that great.

Oh, and if I ate it to "appease" people I would have had severe "gastrointestinal distress" the kind that has you running to the very public bathroom nearly in tears. Not happening.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    If it was for your boss' party especially, I do think you should have brought in a nice plate of something you could eat and that others could share. Or maybe some awesome coffee! That would work for me :) It's a party for your boss. Back in the day, you'd have to buy him an expensive bottle of scotch, lol.

OTOH, if there is just crappy food down the hall that someone brought in, no worries at all.

It was rude of your coworkers to pester you, but I do think your extremely private demeanor probably throws them off, too. Hey, it happens. It's all good :) Don't assume the worst about them, though. They may be fairly obnoxious, but so are most people in an office :D