Another Mom under fire for post baby selfie.

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Well there was some confusion about intentions in the thread, but in case I didn't say it I am actually generally of the opinion that I like when fit moms show their pics because it helps to break down the stereotypes people have about motherhood. I don't mean this as a societal thing (that became an issue in the past thread as well), I just mean from my own personal reasons.

^^^This is exactly why I like seeing these kinds of pics from fit moms. I was told all my life that I could never ever under any circumstances have a decent body after having babies, ever again. This is the story society likes to continually tell, especially to thin people who didn't starve themselves to get that way. That when "you lose that good metabolism/when you get old/when you have babies... you will never be thin again!"

It's nice to see at least a few arguments against that bullsh!t.

I love seeing the women on this site who have killer abs and children. Or who have killer abs, a little pouch and children. Or who lost over 100 pounds and have killer abs and children. That's what lets me know that it's not just the odd duck who can do it.
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    WTF I thought I was going to see a picture of a baby... Crap I love babies.... I thought she posted a baby selfie.. This is BS I say!!!!:grumble:

1slgz6.jpg
  • melb_alex
    melb_alex Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    To the person saying women shouldn't need to gain more than 10-15lbs here's a breakdown (averages):

At birth, a baby weighs about 3.3kg (7.3lb).
    The placenta, which keeps your baby nourished, weighs 0.7kg (1.5lb).
    The muscle layer of your uterus (womb) grows dramatically and weighs an extra 0.9kg (2lb).
    Your blood volume increases and weighs an extra 1.2kg (2.6lb).
    You have extra fluid in your body weighing about 1.2kg (2.6lb).
    Your breasts weigh an extra 0.4kg (0.9lb).
    You'll store fat, about 4kg (8.8lb), to give you energy for breastfeeding.

http://www.babycenter.ca/a554810/weight-gain-in-pregnancy#ixzz2mSF7EnFD

GREAT comeback and you pre-empted the reference...go girl!

My sister only gained 9 kilos and 5'9 so didn't look visibly big. I'm hoping to do the same but will adopt a strict diet and bounce back quickly; why lose all the hard work?
  • likitisplit
    Options
    The good far outweighs the challenges.

(She's required by parental law to say that...doesn't make it any less true, but just know that it's obligatory.)

No really! I gave birth at home. It was amazing and beautiful. My older daughter slept through her sister's labor and woke up just in time to run in and see the birth.

But, he's right, it's also the law.

It is the law. But it doesn't make it any less true.

My first wasn't very painful (barring the triage and as long as I pushed). It was just really, really hard work. Benching a minivan hard work.

My second hurt but was over quickly. The OB ran three red lights and still didn't get there on time. She was delivered by the three people who were in the lunch room at the time: two residents (one of whom was finishing his sandwich) and the head floor nurse.

They dress it up in pastels and lace, but it's an intensely physical/visceral experience. It was really amazing.
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I'll be 36 weeks next week and we dont even have a nursery! We finally got the guest bed moved into place, but there is nothing else. I just have a cosleeper.

You'll be fine.

My water broke with demonspawn #1 at 34.3 weeks -- the day after I went on maternity leave. The day I was going to finish putting the crib together. The day I was going to look at all the things I still needed to do and get them the heck done...

It was fine. You'll be fine. :) Even if you go into labour tomorrow, it'll all be fine!

(edited to change 36.3 to the correct 34.3...I was held in the hospital for 4 days and had DS#1 the day I hit 35 weeks. My parents came over and put together my crib. And saw my trashed house. Argh but grateful). ;)
  • likitisplit
    Options
    To the person saying women shouldn't need to gain more than 10-15lbs here's a breakdown (averages):

At birth, a baby weighs about 3.3kg (7.3lb).
    The placenta, which keeps your baby nourished, weighs 0.7kg (1.5lb).
    The muscle layer of your uterus (womb) grows dramatically and weighs an extra 0.9kg (2lb).
    Your blood volume increases and weighs an extra 1.2kg (2.6lb).
    You have extra fluid in your body weighing about 1.2kg (2.6lb).
    Your breasts weigh an extra 0.4kg (0.9lb).
    You'll store fat, about 4kg (8.8lb), to give you energy for breastfeeding.

http://www.babycenter.ca/a554810/weight-gain-in-pregnancy#ixzz2mSF7EnFD

GREAT comeback and you pre-empted the reference...go girl!

My sister only gained 9 kilos and 5'9 so didn't look visibly big. I'm hoping to do the same but will adopt a strict diet and bounce back quickly; why lose all the hard work?

I survived on Tums, Doritos and San Pellegrino. I also have two jars of queen sized green olives in the pantry from one of the pregnancies. I actually lost all the weight in the first 8 weeks, it was balancing my nutritional needs during breastfeeding that did me in. I really enjoyed just letting my body do its thing, and I gained bang on 35 pounds the first time and a little less the second.
  • RunningForeverMama
    RunningForeverMama Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    36 weeks?

254075804dd611e39c4c125921b75990_8.jpg

Honestly, I wasn't much larger when I pushed out my daughter. I mean, my frame was bigger than this woman, but all things considered about the same. I looked 4-5 month pregnant at 39 weeks. It happens.

I would just like to comment on the adorableness of her cup and pants. Adorable.

Girl, did you even waddle? :laugh: Smash her down to half her height and move all that mass sideways in all directions but especially the front and that would of been me. :tongue: I think my belly looked like that at 5 months. People would ask when I was due, I would tell them months away and they would ask if I was going to make it or if I was pregnant with twins. :ohwell: :laugh: So those of you that are short with a short torso consider yourself warned. :tongue:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    WTF I thought I was going to see a picture of a baby... Crap I love babies.... I thought she posted a baby selfie.. This is BS I say!!!!:grumble:

1slgz6.jpg

does that baby even lift?
  • RunningForeverMama
    RunningForeverMama Posts: 261 Member
    Options

1slgz6.jpg

OMG... must remember what I posted in my last post... must remember how many children I already have... must remember how old I am... must find a newborn to sniff... :happy:
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Neither would be arrogant enough to suggest they are the way they are from their own efforts, though *shrug*.

I found this interesting.

Acknowledging your own efforts is now considered arrogance?

I'll need to notate that for future recall.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    36 weeks?

254075804dd611e39c4c125921b75990_8.jpg

Honestly, I wasn't much larger when I pushed out my daughter. I mean, my frame was bigger than this woman, but all things considered about the same. I looked 4-5 month pregnant at 39 weeks. It happens.

I would just like to comment on the adorableness of her cup and pants. Adorable.

Girl, did you even waddle? :laugh: Smash her down to half her height and move all that mass sideways in all directions but especially the front and that would of been me. :tongue: I think my belly looked like that at 5 months. People would ask when I was due, I would tell them months away and they would ask if I was going to make it or if I was pregnant with twins. :ohwell: :laugh: So those of you that are short with a short torso consider yourself warned. :tongue:

Yeah, this was how I looked at 5-6 months pregnant. And even then people thought I was so small that I was 3-4 months pregnant.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    4 days after an emergency c-section, I was flat on my back, breastfeeding and just immensely grateful that after 10 years of multiple attempts a healthy, fresh human being had come out of my body.

Getting dressed up cute, taking photos of myself and being away from our baby...that just wasn't my mindset.

I'm wondering what this woman's profession is? It seems that every actress/model is in a big hurry to be posted looking better than ever after giving birth.
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    4 days after an emergency c-section, I was flat on my back, breastfeeding and just immensely grateful that after 10 years of multiple attempts a healthy, fresh human being had come out of my body.

Getting dressed up cute, taking photos of myself and being away from our baby...that just wasn't my mindset.

I'm wondering what this woman's profession is? It seems that every actress/model is in a big hurry to be posted looking better than ever after giving birth.

Maybe all she owns are clothes that you consider "cute". Maybe someone took the photo of her in an unplanned way and she didn't ask for it to be taken. Maybe her baby is just a few feet away but out of the camera's vision.
    Everyone is so quick to judge.
  • likitisplit
    Options

Maybe all she owns are clothes that you consider "cute". Maybe someone took the photo of her in an unplanned way and she didn't ask for it to be taken. Maybe her baby is just a few feet away but out of the camera's vision.

This woman related her personal experience. She didn't qualify it as better or worse than the woman in the original post. Why do you think it contains a judgement?
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options

This woman related her personal experience. She didn't qualify it as better or worse than the woman in the original post. Why do you think it contains a judgement?

I re-read your post a few times to see something indicating that you are kidding....I can't find it. :huh: In her 2nd and 3rd paragraphs all I see is judgement against the post-partum mommy in the pic and it boggles my mind that perhaps there are others that don't.
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options

Her profession as Norway's most popular blogger. http://fotballfrue.no/

And being married to a premier league soccer player. (WAG)

So I can see the motivation for not letting herself go. She has simply put up a selfie that she likes - which is what blogs & instagram are for.

She isn't saying everyone else has to look like this, asking why they do not and it is really not her responsibility whether or not others compare themselves to her.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Still, people NEED something to get pissed off about.
  • Kirstyw871
    Kirstyw871 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    She looks good.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options

So you sat beside the baby while it slept 16-18 hours a day? Well maybe you did since you had had a c section and by your own account were trying to rest a lot. But those with an easier recovery can be up and about and don't need to lie beside the baby all day long. I don't really get where you're going with this mindset business.. Unless you're saying that everyone who dares to spend a few minutes away from arm's reach of baby is somehow a bad mother? That's pretty silly so I doubt it's that.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Still, people NEED something to get pissed off about.

^this

For example, I'm pissed off at dbmata after nearly every one of his posts.