Another Mom under fire for post baby selfie.

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Why is what we said going to make you postpone pregnancy? Just curious. :smile:

Days of torrential vaginal bleeding, shifting stomach muscles ...:sad:

The possibility that you'll be so swollen in your nethers that you won't be able to pee so three nurses will spend the next hour trying to find the urethral opening only to call in the most experienced nurse to do it who will tell you, as you're weeping tears in agony, that in cases with as much swelling as this the best thing to do is watch the patient's face for signs of the greatest pain in order to get that tube reinserted.

Note: I didn't cry when a nail went clean through my foot but I cried when it felt like the were using scalpels down there.

Is that what you were looking for?

2nd note: I still only have the one...

geesuscrist woman.
    I'll give you my mother's number and you can deal with her crying when you tell her she'll never have grandkids.

Sorry. I don't think that happens too often.

It did suck though. My husband was standing next to me holding our son in one arm while holding my hand. He said he'd never seen me like that and he was there when I'd just given birth a couple hours before. But like I said, I think it's not too common.

Edit: this thread is not about population control through the telling of gruesome pregnancy stories

it might as well be.

the thought of producing a child is ... shall we say- inconceivable to me.

yeah- I went there.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    According to her blog the woman was running 40k+ week in her 20th week. Yeah. So pretty much she worked her *kitten* off. If she was healthy enough to do that, good for her! I still don't get all the hate.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Maybe all she owns are clothes that you consider "cute". Maybe someone took the photo of her in an unplanned way and she didn't ask for it to be taken. Maybe her baby is just a few feet away but out of the camera's vision.
    Everyone is so quick to judge.

while I get where you are going here...

I can't get on board with the "maybe someone took a picture of her aspect

she's in her damn underwear- holding the phone.

She took a selfie. If I looked like that after my pregnancy- you best be danm sure I'd be taking a picture.
  • Kirstyw871
    Kirstyw871 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    People are jealous.

I'm jealous!!!
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Can't women go 5 seconds without taking pictures of themselves?
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    4 days after an emergency c-section, I was flat on my back, breastfeeding and just immensely grateful that after 10 years of multiple attempts a healthy, fresh human being had come out of my body.

Getting dressed up cute, taking photos of myself and being away from our baby...that just wasn't my mindset.

I'm wondering what this woman's profession is? It seems that every actress/model is in a big hurry to be posted looking better than ever after giving birth.

So you sat beside the baby while it slept 16-18 hours a day? Well maybe you did since you had had a c section and by your own account were trying to rest a lot. But those with an easier recovery can be up and about and don't need to lie beside the baby all day long. I don't really get where you're going with this mindset business.. Unless you're saying that everyone who dares to spend a few minutes away from arm's reach of baby is somehow a bad mother? That's pretty silly so I doubt it's that.

Your baby slept 16 hours a day? My first certainly did not. And between getting the breastfeeding going and taking care of her, any time she slept, so did I.

And saying "that wasn't my mindset" could be seen as offering a different point of view, not judging people with a different mindset/priorities.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    4 days after an emergency c-section, I was flat on my back, breastfeeding and just immensely grateful that after 10 years of multiple attempts a healthy, fresh human being had come out of my body.

Getting dressed up cute, taking photos of myself and being away from our baby...that just wasn't my mindset.

I'm wondering what this woman's profession is? It seems that every actress/model is in a big hurry to be posted looking better than ever after giving birth.

Maybe all she owns are clothes that you consider "cute". Maybe someone took the photo of her in an unplanned way and she didn't ask for it to be taken. Maybe her baby is just a few feet away but out of the camera's vision.

This woman related her personal experience. She didn't qualify it as better or worse than the woman in the original post. Why do you think it contains a judgement?

I re-read your post a few times to see something indicating that you are kidding....I can't find it. :huh: In her 2nd and 3rd paragraphs all I see is judgement against the post-partum mommy in the pic and it boggles my mind that perhaps there are others that don't.

The second paragraph is offering a different point of view, that is explained by the life experience detailed in the first paragraph. She isn't saying everyone else has to think like she does or is asking why they do not.

And the third paragraph is offering a perception about a general trend in media culture that supports a focus on achieving low body fat/muscular definition as soon as possible after delivery.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    WTF I thought I was going to see a picture of a baby... Crap I love babies.... I thought she posted a baby selfie.. This is BS I say!!!!:grumble:

1slgz6.jpg

OMG... must remember what I posted in my last post... must remember how many children I already have... must remember how old I am... must find a newborn to sniff... :happy:

I agree!!! I only have two, but I have made my decision for no more children. Photos like this make it tough!!! :wink:
  • servilia
    Options

This woman related her personal experience. She didn't qualify it as better or worse than the woman in the original post. Why do you think it contains a judgement?

I re-read your post a few times to see something indicating that you are kidding....I can't find it. :huh: In her 2nd and 3rd paragraphs all I see is judgement against the post-partum mommy in the pic and it boggles my mind that perhaps there are others that don't.

The second paragraph is offering a different point of view, that is explained by the life experience detailed in the first paragraph. She isn't saying everyone else has to think like she does or is asking why they do not.

And the third paragraph is offering a perception about a general trend in media culture that supports a focus on achieving low body fat/muscular definition as soon as possible after delivery.

Actually I agree it sounded pretty judgmental.
  • servilia
    Options

So you sat beside the baby while it slept 16-18 hours a day? Well maybe you did since you had had a c section and by your own account were trying to rest a lot. But those with an easier recovery can be up and about and don't need to lie beside the baby all day long. I don't really get where you're going with this mindset business.. Unless you're saying that everyone who dares to spend a few minutes away from arm's reach of baby is somehow a bad mother? That's pretty silly so I doubt it's that.

Your baby slept 16 hours a day? My first certainly did not. And between getting the breastfeeding going and taking care of her, any time she slept, so did I.

And saying "that wasn't my mindset" could be seen as offering a different point of view, not judging people with a different mindset/priorities.

At 4 days old, yes. Nurse, sleep for 2 hours, rinse and repeat (plus time in there for changes, etc) I did nap sometimes but also had time for fixing snacks, etc. not saying it was a walk in the park, but there was certainly time enough for taking a selfie if I was so inclined.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    I think this has been alluded to already. But, the emotional reality is that this number of 4 days (after birth) is a powerful number to women that have birthed children. If you read the responses, you can clearly see how that number calls straight into memory what was going on at 4 days postpartum. And yes, that is going to be different for many women. But, that is why this thread, in particular has caused people to recall and share some aspects of their stories of pregnancy, birth, postpartum. If we all take a step into our mother memory and our empathy, we can see things from a somewhat different perspective. Four days postpartum was a powerful moment in our lives, after experiencing one of the most wild, profound things we will ever experience, and many of us were still recovering in various ways, we were sleep deprived and learning whole new skills (breastfeeding for example, with our milk just coming in). It's like when people say where were you when you found out about JFK, the challenger exploding, 9/11, etc. Hearing that number, it transports us body and mind into the memory, almost as if we are experiencing it again, and it is intense. That brings up all kinds of stuff, and all kinds of sharing, and all kinds of astonishment at how different it can be for some people. It's just human.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I think this has been alluded to already. But, the emotional reality is that this number of 4 days (after birth) is a powerful number to women that have birthed children. If you read the responses, you can clearly see how that number calls straight into memory what was going on at 4 days postpartum. And yes, that is going to be different for many women. But, that is why this thread, in particular has caused people to recall and share some aspects of their stories of pregnancy, birth, postpartum. If we all take a step into our mother memory and our empathy, we can see things from a somewhat different perspective. Four days postpartum was a powerful moment in our lives, after experiencing one of the most wild, profound things we will ever experience, and many of us were still recovering in various ways, we were sleep deprived and learning whole new skills (breastfeeding for example, with our milk just coming in). It's like when people say where were you when you found out about JFK, the challenger exploding, 9/11, etc. Hearing that number, it transports us body and mind into the memory, almost as if we are experiencing it again, and it is intense. That brings up all kinds of stuff, and all kinds of sharing, and all kinds of astonishment at how different it can be for some people. It's just human.

:heart: Squeeeeeee! Sorry this just sounds all so exciting and new to me that powerful of an event its unreal...cant wait 5 more weeks! Hurry up 5 weeks! I'm sure I'll be too excited, scared, and nervous to take selfie, and be cooing over my new baby boy! Although since I think the image of breastfeeding is like the most beautiful image of a mother's love I might take a selfie of that but I wont post it on a blog in Norway. Come on time go faster!
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

:heart: Squeeeeeee! Sorry this just sounds all so exciting and new to me that powerful of an event its unreal...cant wait 5 more weeks! Hurry up 5 weeks! I'm sure I'll be too excited, scared, and nervous to take selfie, and be cooing over my new baby boy! Although since I think the image of breastfeeding is like the most beautiful image of a mother's love I might take a selfie of that but I wont post it on a blog in Norway. Come on time go faster!

Yaaaay!!!

I do have one of my favorite photos is right after birth (at home), breastfeeding my baby. I am naked, but wrapped up in a velvetty purple blanket.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Still, people NEED something to get pissed off about.

This must be it. I don't know why anyone would be offended by this. I might be an oddball, but other women's bodies don't seem to have any negative impacts on my own self esteem. Fit and/or attractive women don't make me feel insecure. They are more motivational or inspirational I think. I respect and admire them, and I'd rather congratulate their efforts than tear them down. It's not a competition (as far as I'm concerned anyway...) and if you look better than me four days after giving birth, I say, Go You! :drinker:
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options

Exactly!

Did she detail how she managed to fit in a rigorous work out regimen with a full-time job, running a household,commuting to and from work? I think most new moms would love to be able to take a selfie within the first year, let alone the first 4 days....so how did she do it?
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options

Did she detail how she managed to fit in a rigorous work out regimen with a full-time job, running a household,commuting to and from work? I think most new moms would love to be able to take a selfie within the first year, let alone the first 4 days....so how did she do it?

Er, she is a blogger and married to a premier soccer player.

I daresay she doesn't have to do much commuting, or even a full time job. Unless you call being a WAG a full time job.
  • likitisplit
    Options

At 4 days old, yes. Nurse, sleep for 2 hours, rinse and repeat (plus time in there for changes, etc) I did nap sometimes but also had time for fixing snacks, etc. not saying it was a walk in the park, but there was certainly time enough for taking a selfie if I was so inclined.

Ah. You had time for fixing snacks. I was pumping every hour as I worked on getting the breastfeeding on the right track. And nursing off and on so that my baby could get what she needed even with the issues. And my baby was reflux-y even after we got everything on track, so she never really slept for two hours at a time. Even now she needs less sleep than most three year olds. And the stitches and the bleeding and etc. I lost a whole lot of weight though...

My second, I would have had time for a selfie, if I hadn't been taking care of a toddler and a newborn at the same time.
  • likitisplit
    Options

Word!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

I daresay she doesn't have to do much commuting, or even a full time job. Unless you call being a WAG a full time job.

Way to depreciate her -- she's apparently the leading blogger in Norway, a journalist, ran part of a book publishing company, is a model, wrote a book.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Way to depreciate her -- she's apparently the leading blogger in Norway, a journalist, ran part of a book publishing company, is a model, wrote a book.

Hard work. Some people do and others make excuses.