High carb vegan diet

Options

Replies

• yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Correct FireflyJay - one factor which naturally controls population.
  • Harrisonsauntie
    Options
    Your analogy is flawed. A predatory animal, such as a wolf, feasts when a kill is made but then they won't eat for days afterwards. I assume you don't eat 4000cals then skip a days worth of eating do you, so that it evens out at 2000cals/day?
    Listen, if you're hungry or you just want some food then go and do it, we are a part of nature and in nature there is no calorie restriction. If a wolf had access to food at all times he would eat is brains out without putting on a single pound. Look at pets for instance, a cat eats all they and sleeps all they but won't gain weight. Just try it out for 2 weeks and you'll see what I'm talking about.

I am confused - how does vegan = no calorie counting.

Look at the paleo diet and also LCHF. Both eat meat both encourage you not to count calories.

LCHF = Low carb High fat is bull****. Why cut out the primary source of energy, carbs. If you want to loose fat then why the hell would you stuff your mouth full of fat. Carbs for the win! Look at how the kenyan runners eat, they eat a very high carb diet with little fat and little protein yet they are slim as ****. Carb do not make you fat. Is it that bowl of rice that makes you fat or is it pound of lard you eat every morning for breakfast.

You do not know much about this to be honest. Excess calories makes you put on weight. You could eat high fat low carb and lose weight if you didn't exceed calories. You could eat high carb low fat and lose weight if you didn't exceed calories. There is a lot to be said for not calories counting but limiting one macro source to do so can be considered extreme. Be vegan if you want to, no one would argue that but don't try and use it as evidence that all other dieting and fitness information and strategies are flawed.
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I thought I knew everything when I was 18 too... a balanced nutritious diet works best for me and no matter who you are if you eat at surplus you will gain. I am glad you have found what works for you. As you mature you will realise it isn't a one size fits all when it comes to diet. I would never eat high carb low fat again because I have been there and it isn't the best way. Fat doesn't make people fat, eating to many calories does. As far as you eating 4000 calories, well you said yourself you didn't log accurately. Maybe instead of being over zealous and preaching to the masses you should take a step back and do a little more unbiased research.
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Jade - I applaude your enthusiam and choosing to go vegan, but some of your points are not accurate.

May I suggest there is a vegan group on MFP where you could try out your points and have them discussed by fellow vegans before you venture out in to the open arena of the general forum; if at all.
    Why promote veganism to people who already are vegans. I'm just giving advice, that's all, just exercising my freedom of speech. A high carb low fat vegan diet is the way to go , but if calorie restricting is working for you then fine keep doing it, im not forcing anyone.

Talking out your poo hole is not advice. It just stinks.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I guess if you are going to preach to others about nutrition, what with your six weeks of experience, you should learn the difference between "loose" and "lose."
  • VeggieKidMandy
    VeggieKidMandy Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    ehhh.....I see where you were going with this....but I dont quite agree .
    Ive been a raw vegan for three years...and over the course of three years i dropped 121 lbs. That came from partially eliminating meat, but mostly it came from eliminating sugar. From what my nutritionist told me....Carbs = energy...but in the end carbs break down as sugar....which equals fat. Without working out, those energy calories , that we are meant to burn off turn into extra calories which result in weight gain.
    If you look at people in third world countries - yes they eat carbs, which is their main source of protein, but typically they spend all day in a factory, or they fish or they are out in a field harvesting. they have very laborious jobs...and those carbs give them energy to carry on throughout the day.
  • yogicarl
    Options
    I guess if you are going to preach to others about nutrition, what with your six weeks of experience, you should learn the difference between "loose" and "lose."

Now now :tongue: - I think the full stop in your post (above) should come after the quotes in this instance because the full stop belongs to and ends the sentence rather than the word in quotes. My point? - oh just that none of us aer pfercet :flowerforyou:
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Ive been a raw vegan for three years...and over the course of three years i dropped 121 lbs. That came from partially eliminating meat, but mostly it came from eliminating sugar. From what my nutritionist told me....Carbs = energy...but in the end carbs break down as sugar....which equals fat. Without working out, those energy calories , that we are meant to burn off turn into extra calories which result in weight gain.
    If you look at people in third world countries - yes they eat carbs, which is their main source of protein, but typically they spend all day in a factory, or they fish or they are out in a field harvesting. they have very laborious jobs...and those carbs give them energy to carry on throughout the day.

Just as I though this thread couldn't get any better we have this line

" yes they eat carbs, which is their main source of protein"

ummm, no.

And op - 6 weeks a vegan does not an expert make, you've got almost every fact wrong so far. Congrats, this thread should hopefully keep me entertained while in work today :bigsmile:

Mind you, my money is on the op being a troll.
  • SherryTeach
    Options
    Fat makes you fat, not carbs.

That is just wrong. excess calories are stored as fat, no matter what they come from.
    Maybe if you lay in bed all day stuffing your mouth full of hamburgers. When I first went vegan I didn't do any training due to slight overtraining but still ate like would die the next day and I lost 4 kg just like that. Now tell me, how is this possible if what you're saying is true. I weigh 69 kg and am super fit, and I assume you are overweight and struggling to run around the block. You could change this easy if you would just listen to me, just give it a try. Sorry if I offended you, I don't mean to hurt your feeling or anything, just trying to make a point :)

I think that one of the reasons people here are irritated is that the OP is making assumptions about the rest of us. I, for one, am not overweight. Nor do I struggle to run around the block. And I'm four times her age.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options

Now now :tongue: - I think the full stop in your post (above) should come after the quotes in this instance because the full stop belongs to and ends the sentence rather than the word in quotes. My point? - oh just that none of us aer pfercet :flowerforyou:

But in this case the person is correct, the op being so high and mighty and perfect should be getting the basics correct in his little preachy rant.

Of course since the op is wrong in almost everything they have said, it would make sense for them to spell lose wrong as well :laugh:
  • meankeen
    meankeen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    God, why don't people get it? Losing weight is as easy as this:

calorie outtake > calorie intake.

Keep that in your head, and track your macro's. You could basically eat candy, cake and icecream all day long as long as you calorie outtake > calorie intake.

Whether it's healthy though, is another question.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    In case anyone is still reading and hoping to glean some factual information.......all you need to do to lose weight is eat less than you need.

Maintain a moderate calorie deficit. Apply patience and time. You'll get results. Macros (carbs, protein, fat) can help prevent excess hunger, maintain lean muscle mass, and promote general health - but you don't even have to pay attention to them to lose weight. And you certainly don't have to be vegan, vegetarian, paleo, etc. Just eat less.
  • SherryTeach
    Options
    In American English, the period always goes inside the quotation mark, even if it is a single word.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Unless you have something medically wrong with your digestive system (in which case you're only skirting around the issue by going vegan rather than getting medical attention you need), meat and dairy are not the cause of weight gain.
  • yogicarl
    Options
    In American English, the period always goes inside the quotation mark, even if it is a single word.

Thank you for your reply; which I found interesting and informative.
  • VeggieKidMandy
    Options

ummm, no.

And op - 6 weeks a vegan does not an expert make, you've got almost every fact wrong so far. Congrats, this thread should hopefully keep me entertained while in work today :bigsmile:

I worded it wrong -_-" I meant to say main source of food. Rice, bread, pasta, etc etc
  • Iron_Feline
    Options

ummm, no.

I worded it wrong -_-" I meant to say main source of food. Rice, bread, pasta, etc etc

Ah, that makes more sense :bigsmile:
  • VeggieKidMandy
    Options

ummm, no.

Ah, that makes more sense :bigsmile:

I read it and laughed at myself for a good two minutes. lol Im still not awake.
  • mattbell007
    mattbell007 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Vitamin B12
  • yogicarl
    Options
    Vitamin B12

... is available as a vegan based supplement. You raise an important nutritional point as B12 is needed in tiny quantities but is essential.