I like sugar

Options

Replies

• paganstar71
    paganstar71 Posts: 109 Member
    Options

Does such a person exist? How much added sugar do they eat and do their blood work panels include a test called polyacrylamide gradient gel electrophoresis?

Yes, I'm referring to myself, but I know there's quite a few here that are similar :smile:

It's possible to be thin on the outside but fat inside (TOFI) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOFI
    Too much sugar is linked to this. If you find it easy to moderate sugar in your diet, then keep it as an occasional treat. If you find sugar starts cravings or you slip into the habit of regular sugar intake you might be better to eliminate as much added sugar as possible.

In the same way you wouldn't tell an alcoholic to moderate alcohol intake - it doesn't work!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,002 Member
    Options
    Avoiding sugar is not just a weight loss aim, that's only a small part of it.

Eating sugar (sucrose/fructose) increases visceral fat, increases blood triglycerides, makes insulin less efficient increasing the risk of diabetes and heart disease. It also changes our cholesterol transportation system (LDL) from safe pattern A to risky pattern B, again putting you at risk from heart disease. High sugar intake is also linked to pancreatic cancer, kidney disease and high blood pressure.

The only sugar (fructose) you should eat is in whole fruit and vegetables.

What if someone has excellent blood work panels, is considered very low risk for heart disease by their doctor, has normal blood pressure, has glucose numbers in the normal range, exercises regularly, has a normal bmi/weight, has no other risk factors (non-smoker etc), has a lower bf% and has no health problems. Are you still saying the in face of all the signs that point to someone being perfectly healthy, while still eating sugar, they're not in fact healthy?
    What percentage of their calories was added sugar?

I'm not currently keeping a food journal, but let's just assume a decent amount :laugh: Yesterday I had a shake from steak n shake, a donut, two tsp of cinnamon sugar on top of my sweet potato and a homemade peanut butter rice krispy bar. That's off the top of my head for obvious added sugar, but I'm sure some of the other foods I ate also had some sugar in it too. My maintenance calorie range is in the 2,2500-2,500 range.
    Need a calorie count on that......i know some shakes are 2000 calories. Anyway, will you or do you consume this every day?
    The reason I say that is because it can be confusing for some people. For example I'm on a cut right now after adding 30lbs in my bulk. My cut is 2500 calories and after I hit my macro and micro's I don't have much room for any descresionary calories, especially considering I upped my protein from my normal amount in my bulk. It's can be deceiving saying I eat all the sugar, which I do, but at the same time only after hitting my macro's........:smile:
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

Does such a person exist? How much added sugar do they eat and do their blood work panels include a test called polyacrylamide gradient gel electrophoresis?

Yes, I'm referring to myself, but I know there's quite a few here that are similar :smile:

It's possible to be thin on the outside but fat inside (TOFI) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOFI
    Too much sugar is linked to this. If you find it easy to moderate sugar in your diet, then keep it as an occasional treat. If you find sugar starts cravings or you slip into the habit of regular sugar intake you might be better to eliminate as much added sugar as possible.

In the same way you wouldn't tell an alcoholic to moderate alcohol intake - it doesn't work!

Comparing eating sugar to alcoholism is a BIG reach. And Wikipedia as your source? Okay.
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I don't just like sugar, I love it! And I am so happy that I don't blame it for my excess fat, that I have learned how to have it in moderation, that I can fit it into my intake even on a deficit, and that I have all these smart peeps on MFP to remind me it is not evil.
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Refined carbs are my favorite.

I love mini red velvet cakes with white icing.

Like these?

redvelvet14.jpg

Like these

rsz_red-velvet-cake-mini-cakes_zpsba4cfa78.jpg
  • beachlover317
    Options
    Refined carbs are my favorite.

I love mini red velvet cakes with white icing.

Like these?

redvelvet14.jpg

Like these

rsz_red-velvet-cake-mini-cakes_zpsba4cfa78.jpg

Those are exceptional!
  • paganstar71
    Options

Comparing eating sugar to alcoholism is a BIG reach. And Wikipedia as your source? Okay.

There is nothing wrong with Wikipedia if the page is well sourced, which this one is. Alcohol and sugar are very closely linked - they both work on the reward pathways of our brain to promote addiction.
  • danigriffiths86
    Options
    made me smile :-)
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Eating sugar (sucrose/fructose) increases visceral fat, increases blood triglycerides, makes insulin less efficient increasing the risk of diabetes and heart disease. It also changes our cholesterol transportation system (LDL) from safe pattern A to risky pattern B, again putting you at risk from heart disease. High sugar intake is also linked to pancreatic cancer, kidney disease and high blood pressure.

This is not the case if you exercise... which we all should be doing.
  • beachlover317
    Options

There is nothing wrong with Wikipedia if the page is well sourced, which this one is. Alcohol and sugar are very closely linked - they both work on the reward pathways of our brain to promote addiction.

Wikipedia is a "user created site". Anyone can change/adapt the information. I'm sure it's a good jumping off point, but I would be hesitant to use that as a site for making decisions about my health. My first husband was an alcoholic - I highly doubt I would have divorced him because he indulged in sugar. They are two very different things.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Is it wrong to add maple sugar flakes to my pure maple syrup on vanilla ice cream when I'm hung over?
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

What if someone has excellent blood work panels, is considered very low risk for heart disease by their doctor, has normal blood pressure, has glucose numbers in the normal range, exercises regularly, has a normal bmi/weight, has no other risk factors (non-smoker etc), has a lower bf% and has no health problems. Are you still saying the in face of all the signs that point to someone being perfectly healthy, while still eating sugar, they're not in fact healthy?

Ok I have to respond to this, before I started over a year ago, I was in the doctor's office every 2 weeks for heart, lung, and my blood work was showing I was definitely in danger of diabetes. 1 year later, 93 lbs later lost while eating daily ice cream, cookies, cupcakes, brownies, etc. I just had all my blood work re done and heart issues have improved, lung issues are improving, and my blood work was perfect. To the point my doctor joked that I must have sent someone else in for it.

So, you continue with your sugar is horrible and we're all going to die from the toxins while I enjoy myself and continue to improve my health.
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    I get the whole IIFYMacros thing. And, I agree that for success you are better off not restricting any specific food.

However, can someone please explain how you balance your micro nutrients when eating such calorie dense foods?

Overall, I am trying to adhere to IIFYMacros and IIFYMicros...

Just a thought :smile:

edited to clean up typos
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,002 Member
    Options

Ok I have to respond to this, before I started over a year ago, I was in the doctor's office every 2 weeks for heart, lung, and my blood work was showing I was definitely in danger of diabetes. 1 year later, 93 lbs later lost while eating daily ice cream, cookies, cupcakes, brownies, etc. I just had all my blood work re done and heart issues have improved, lung issues are improving, and my blood work was perfect. To the point my doctor joked that I must have sent someone else in for it.

So, you continue with your sugar is horrible and we're all going to die from the toxins while I enjoy myself and continue to improve my health.
    Weight loss facilitates those responses in different degrees.......while the nation is getting fatter is where the problem lies, not with people trying to improve their health. Sugars context and dosage while gaining weight is the health issue.
  • paganstar71
    Options

In order to lose 93lb (big congrats by the way!) you would have no doubt restricted your calories. The easiest way to restrict calories is to reduce the amount of calorie dense food you ate, such as sugar and fats. I'm not surprised your blood work has improved. However there is no link between blood cholesterol and heart disease. The link is actually whether you are a Pattern B LDL type person.
  • FreshKrisKreash
    FreshKrisKreash Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I eat something sugary every day. I feel like the body needs a little bit or else you'll get low blood sugar and wonk out. :flowerforyou: