Welcome to Fun and Games! Many of the discussions in this category are games based on responding to the most recent comment. Please take a moment to refresh the page and make sure you are replying to the most recent comment to keep the game going!

The official nightshift thread....

Replies

• SongDragon
    SongDragon Posts: 205 Member
    Hehe. Only two or three really annoying special snowflakes here. The others I guess I'm used to. Or I'm a special snowflake.

You're an officer? I kind of wanted to be a detective for a while, but figured I wouldn't pass the physical requirements. And at five feet tall I'd probably get laughed out.
  • Sarri93
    Sarri93 Posts: 58 Member
    I definitely know a few special snowflakes at my job. Fortunately I like the staff I'm with here tonight.
  • SongDragon
    Ah. The glory of night shift. They can only afford one staff on.
  • bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,488 Member
    Also, I love the little foil packs of tuna, but haven't tried any of the flavored ones. Which ones are best?

I had the hickory one and the Mexican. Delicious!!!

And I'm pretty sure humanity is doomed.
    @SongDragon
    @lilaclovebird
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    edited August 2015
    So, who wants to read this chapter on Pavlovian conditioning for me? And just download what I need to know for the test directly into my brain?
  • Sarri93
    Guys I'm so excited. I'm awful at eating breakfast. It's just so inconvenient for me because I'm so not a morning person (hence the night shift) but I have school during the day and have to be up for that some mornings. But I found some smoothie recipes online that look delicious. The only drawback is that they're fruit smoothies so they're really high in sugar, but I kind of feel like fruit sugar is better than added sugar and besides as long as I have a deficit, I'll lose, yeah?
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    @lilaclovebird did you say the L word???

I DID! :bawling: I said the 'L' word... GOD WHY?!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    I've never been a breakfast eater, I just don't like eating until later in the day. It hasn't affected my weight loss any.

I'm glad you found some smoothies that look awesome, though! And the fruit sugars shouldn't matter at all for weight loss as long as you have a deficit!
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Frankie_Felinius Posts: 1,398 Member
    SongDragon wrote: »

We only need one person per shift...and I wouldn't change it for the world!
  • Sarri93
    I've never been a breakfast eater, I just don't like eating until later in the day. It hasn't affected my weight loss any.

I'm glad you found some smoothies that look awesome, though! And the fruit sugars shouldn't matter at all for weight loss as long as you have a deficit!

MFP just makes me feel awful when it's like hey you've definitely gone way the hell over your sugar limit today man. I'm like well oops.

We definitely couldn't do one person per shift here. We have a greeter in the lobby, a triage nurse, a charge nurse, a HUC (health unit coordinator) and 4-5 nurses on the floor. Plus whatever doctors are on staff for the night.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member

We only need one person per shift...and I wouldn't change it for the world!

At my work place, we always have 2 people minimum during the night shift, even on weekends like tonight when it's awfully slow. In reality though, only 1 person is truly needed to cover all the work load, but if that actually came to pass, no one would be able to take time off, which would suck.
  • bethanie0825
    There only two of us in the center. 5 police officers on the squad and usually a K9 officer and/or a traffic guy or 2.
  • BodyByBex
    Hehe. Only two or three really annoying special snowflakes here. The others I guess I'm used to. Or I'm a special snowflake.

You're an officer? I kind of wanted to be a detective for a while, but figured I wouldn't pass the physical requirements. And at five feet tall I'd probably get laughed out.

I'm not a commissioned police officer. I work with them though. I am a Public Safety Officer(That's PC for 'Security Guard') for The University of Texas Police Department-Houston for MD Anderson Cancer Center.

I work primarily at The Michael Keeling Research Center for Comparative Medicine in Bastrop, TX and The Virginia Harris Cockrell Cancer Research Center at Science Park in Smithville, TX.

I've debated heavily about becoming a commissioned officer and our Lt. seems to think I would be great at it. I would be terrified. I feel like the media nowadays is training the population to hate police officers. I don't think it is their intention, but that is what is happening.

HOUSTON (AP) — Texas prosecutors on Saturday charged a 30-year-old man with capital murder in the killing of a uniformed sheriff's deputy who was gunned down from behind while filling his patrol car with gas in what officials described as a "senseless and cowardly act."

The arrest of Shannon J. Miles — who has a criminal history that includes convictions for resisting arrest and disorderly conduct with a firearm — came less than 24 hours after authorities said he ambushed Darren Goforth, a 10-year veteran of the Harris County Sheriff's Office, at a suburban Houston Chevron station.

"I am proud of the men and women that have worked swiftly to apprehend the responsible person who posed a significant threat to both law enforcement and the community at large," Harris County Sheriff Ron Hickman said at a news conference. "Our deputies return to the streets tonight to hold a delicate peace that was shattered last evening."

Court and jail records did not list an attorney for Miles.

Hickman said the motive for the killing had not been determined but investigators would look at whether Miles, who is black, was motivated by anger over recent killings elsewhere of black men by police that have spawned the "Black Lives Matter" protest movement. Goforth was white.

"I think that's something that we have to keep an eye on," Hickman said. "The general climate of that kind of rhetoric can be influential on people to do things like this. We're still searching to find out if that's actually a motive."

Hickman said investigators are working on the assumption "that he was a target because he wore a uniform."

Goforth, 47, was pumping gas Friday night when the gunman approached him from behind and fired multiple shots, continuing to fire after the deputy had fallen to the ground.

The deputy had gone to the Chevron gas station in Cypress, a middle-class to upper middle-class suburban area of Harris County that is unincorporated and located northwest of Houston, after responding to a routine car accident earlier Friday.

Earlier on Saturday, Hickman had called the killing a "cold-blooded assassination."

"Cops' lives matter, too," Hickman said then. "So why don't we drop the qualifier and say lives matter."

Harris County District Attorney Devon Anderson echoed Hickman's sentiments.

"There are a few bad apples in every profession. That does not mean there should be open warfare declared on law enforcement," she said.

Deray McKesson, a leader of the Black Lives Matter movement, responded to Hickman's criticisms, telling the Houston Chronicle: "It is unfortunate that Sheriff Hickman has chosen to politicize this tragedy and to attribute the officer's death to a movement that seeks to end violence."

In a statement Saturday, Gov. Greg Abbott said "heinous and deliberate crimes against law enforcement will not be tolerated" and that the state "reveres the men and women in law enforcement who put their lives on the line every day to protect and serve their communities."

Hickman said Miles had been in the custody of authorities "all night." Authorities earlier Saturday said they had been speaking with a person of interest but had not identified that individual.

Court records of Miles' previous arrests show he lived at a home that deputies searched earlier Saturday and where a red truck, similar to one that authorities said left the scene of the shooting, was found. Hickman credited the work of investigators and "routine research" that found the truck that led to "the suspect responsible for this senseless and cowardly act."

An impromptu memorial sprouted at the pump Goforth had used Friday night, with a pile of balloons, flowers, candles and notes, including one that said, "Gone but never forgotten R.I.P. Deputy Goforth." The gas station was open Saturday, but that pump was closed. People gathered later on Saturday for a vigil at the gas station to remember Goforth.

Brian McCullar knew Goforth because the deputy had patrolled his neighborhood, which is about two miles from the gas station, and the two spoke often.

"He was passionate about what he did," the 49-year-old said, adding, "We're still in shock. ... It's a huge loss for his family. It's a huge loss for this area." Goforth had a wife and two children.

"You're talking about a guy that made a difference," McCullar said.

http://news.yahoo.com/sheriffs-deputy-fatally-shot-houston-while-pumping-gas-043751950.html
  • Sarri93
    Ooh oh guys guess what! Sorry I just thought about it. I'd set a goal for myself that I wanted to be down under 190 by the time school started back. Well I weighed myself before I left for work tonight and I was at 189.9! I mean I know it's .1 of a pound, but it's under 190 and I did it with 2 days to spare! :)
  • Sarri93

I'm not a commissioned police officer. I work with them though. I am a Public Safety Officer(That's PC for 'Security Guard') for The University of Texas Police Department-Houston for MD Anderson Cancer Center.

I work primarily at The Michael Keeling Research Center for Comparative Medicine in Bastrop, TX and The Virginia Harris Cockrell Cancer Research Center at Science Park in Smithville, TX.

I've debated heavily about becoming a commissioned officer and our Lt. seems to think I would be great at it. I would be terrified. I feel like the media nowadays is training the population to hate police officers. I don't think it is their intention, but that is what is happening.

HOUSTON (AP) — Texas prosecutors on Saturday charged a 30-year-old man with capital murder in the killing of a uniformed sheriff's deputy who was gunned down from behind while filling his patrol car with gas in what officials described as a "senseless and cowardly act."

The arrest of Shannon J. Miles — who has a criminal history that includes convictions for resisting arrest and disorderly conduct with a firearm — came less than 24 hours after authorities said he ambushed Darren Goforth, a 10-year veteran of the Harris County Sheriff's Office, at a suburban Houston Chevron station.

"I am proud of the men and women that have worked swiftly to apprehend the responsible person who posed a significant threat to both law enforcement and the community at large," Harris County Sheriff Ron Hickman said at a news conference. "Our deputies return to the streets tonight to hold a delicate peace that was shattered last evening."

Court and jail records did not list an attorney for Miles.

Hickman said the motive for the killing had not been determined but investigators would look at whether Miles, who is black, was motivated by anger over recent killings elsewhere of black men by police that have spawned the "Black Lives Matter" protest movement. Goforth was white.

"I think that's something that we have to keep an eye on," Hickman said. "The general climate of that kind of rhetoric can be influential on people to do things like this. We're still searching to find out if that's actually a motive."

Hickman said investigators are working on the assumption "that he was a target because he wore a uniform."

Goforth, 47, was pumping gas Friday night when the gunman approached him from behind and fired multiple shots, continuing to fire after the deputy had fallen to the ground.

The deputy had gone to the Chevron gas station in Cypress, a middle-class to upper middle-class suburban area of Harris County that is unincorporated and located northwest of Houston, after responding to a routine car accident earlier Friday.

Earlier on Saturday, Hickman had called the killing a "cold-blooded assassination."

"Cops' lives matter, too," Hickman said then. "So why don't we drop the qualifier and say lives matter."

Harris County District Attorney Devon Anderson echoed Hickman's sentiments.

"There are a few bad apples in every profession. That does not mean there should be open warfare declared on law enforcement," she said.

Deray McKesson, a leader of the Black Lives Matter movement, responded to Hickman's criticisms, telling the Houston Chronicle: "It is unfortunate that Sheriff Hickman has chosen to politicize this tragedy and to attribute the officer's death to a movement that seeks to end violence."

In a statement Saturday, Gov. Greg Abbott said "heinous and deliberate crimes against law enforcement will not be tolerated" and that the state "reveres the men and women in law enforcement who put their lives on the line every day to protect and serve their communities."

Hickman said Miles had been in the custody of authorities "all night." Authorities earlier Saturday said they had been speaking with a person of interest but had not identified that individual.

Court records of Miles' previous arrests show he lived at a home that deputies searched earlier Saturday and where a red truck, similar to one that authorities said left the scene of the shooting, was found. Hickman credited the work of investigators and "routine research" that found the truck that led to "the suspect responsible for this senseless and cowardly act."

An impromptu memorial sprouted at the pump Goforth had used Friday night, with a pile of balloons, flowers, candles and notes, including one that said, "Gone but never forgotten R.I.P. Deputy Goforth." The gas station was open Saturday, but that pump was closed. People gathered later on Saturday for a vigil at the gas station to remember Goforth.

Brian McCullar knew Goforth because the deputy had patrolled his neighborhood, which is about two miles from the gas station, and the two spoke often.

"He was passionate about what he did," the 49-year-old said, adding, "We're still in shock. ... It's a huge loss for his family. It's a huge loss for this area." Goforth had a wife and two children.

"You're talking about a guy that made a difference," McCullar said.

http://news.yahoo.com/sheriffs-deputy-fatally-shot-houston-while-pumping-gas-043751950.html

God that's just awful. People honestly just suck sometimes. People don't understand that most cops just want to get back home to their families. :/
  • BodyByBex
    edited August 2015
    Sarri93 wrote: »
    Ooh oh guys guess what! Sorry I just thought about it. I'd set a goal for myself that I wanted to be down under 190 by the time school started back. Well I weighed myself before I left for work tonight and I was at 189.9! I mean I know it's .1 of a pound, but it's under 190 and I did it with 2 days to spare! :)

@Sarri93 That's awesome! I'm hoping to be under 175 by the time Halloween gets here. I'm at 180.0 right now. Well.... 182.0 as of this afternoon but I blame my drinkfest. *chugs more water*
  • BodyByBex
    After this shooting and after hearing so many people talking about how useless the police are and how they're all just a bunch of bullies with badges I REALLY feel like the whole nation would be thoroughly educated if all police officers suffered a case of 'Blue Flu' for a week.

The worst part is I KNOW for a FACT that there are far too many officers who would not participate in an act like that because they care too much about their communities and would want to keep them safe.
  • SongDragon
    There was only one time we needed a second and it was due to a client threat. But recently a coworker was ill on the overnight and it took until I came in to find her and contact her husband to pick her up since she couldn't dial. So that sits in the back of my mind. The actual job shouldn't require two. People sleep for the most part.

Mmm. That stuff is scary. It probably wouldn't be a good fit either as I'd love to work to change how police automatically deal with mental illness in some places. Old fights and whatnot.
  • bethanie0825
    @lilaclovebird My husband is a deputy sheriff. It scares me more and more each day I send him off to work. And working 911, I have a better idea of what he's being sent to. It's a sad state when he has to be ready to defend himself when he's getting gas. :(
  • BodyByBex
    @lilaclovebird My husband is a deputy sheriff. It scares me more and more each day I send him off to work. And working 911, I have a better idea of what he's being sent to. It's a sad state when he has to be ready to defend himself when he's getting gas. :(

I worry every night about Sgt. Sexy Pants because he frequents Buc-ee's almost every night for a large coke and come jerky.

Every officer has a great big target on their back when they put on their uniform now. It isn't right.

I am getting so frustrated with my father who doesn't understand that the media can influence people and the masses are being 'taught' and 'influenced' to hate police officers and some people are actually going out there and doing something about it.

"Across the nation, deaths of police officers have increased 10 percent during the first eight months of this year when compared to the same period last year, according to statistics kept by the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund in Washington.
    Prior to Goforth's death, 80 officers have died so far this year compared to 73 in the same span last year. Deaths by firearms are up 20 percent. Texas leads the nation with 10 officers killed, followed by Louisiana with nine officers killed during the first eight months this year, according to the group's website.

Houston police added to the deadly toll in May when officer Richard Martin, 47, was run over and killed by a fleeing carjacking suspect who swerved to hit Martin as he positioned a set of strip spikes in the roadway. The suspect, Jeffery Conlin, 33, shot himself in the head as police closed in."

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Officer-shot-in-NW-Harris-County-6472466.php