my hubby paying me to lose weight

Options

Replies

• loconnor466
    loconnor466 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't work for me. I work full time and I handle all of the money anyway. But if it works for you OP then by all means use it to motivate yourself.

Like others said if the money was coming from somewhere else I'd love that because then it truly would be extra money.

Same here, I make 3x more than my SO. We have a house joint account and then our own personal accounts. Allowance? really? I'll buy my own damn wardrobe, thank you very much.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Awesome! You'll want that money to buy clothes and stuff as you lose weight =)
  • Princess71117
    Princess71117 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    That sounds like my kind of place!! Although for my job, I'll be running around and lifting huge animals and all that stuff. It's like a mini workout of my own :D
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    By the way....congratulations on quitting smoking! :flowerforyou:
  • KathrynCatlady
    KathrynCatlady Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Am I really the only one who finds this creepy?

I totally agree. This reminds me of when my grandparents used to try to bribe me into losing weight as a kid. I think it's the totally wrong way to go. I mean, I guess if the OP is already on her weight loss journey and it's just an added bonus? Sure. But... something just rubs me the wrong way about this.
  • mteague277
    mteague277 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I asked my husband if I could get a massage if I made it to my goal, he said "Sure, whatever sweetie."
    He is supportive, but doesn't give a *kitten* what I look like. It is OUR money, but not our money to go do what we please with. We both consult each other for big purchases because isn't that what you are supposed to do? I am pretty sure OP just means her husband is going to let her do whatever she wants with this money. I could be wrong though.

However, I would be offended if my husband was offering monetary incentives for me to lose weight. It would make me feel like he cared solely about what I looked like and I would be hurt by that. But I am also fairly sensitive and not all women are like that. Until I know more details I can't for sure say it is "creepy" though.

My husband brews beer, and it can get costly. So anytime he is making a big purchase we talk about it first. I love skin care and make up products. Every time I make a big purchase, I talk about it first. There is nothing wrong with that :)
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    This is not creepy if in the right context. Even though my husband and I share our money, we each get a set amount each month for our personal money to do whatever we want with it. It is not my "allowance" - we decided on a spending limit together so that we can meet financial goals (pay extra on our mortgage, student loans etc) and I get more than him each month. Its called budgeting. I don't see how this is much different than when my husband and I decided that we would temporarily change our budget to allow for me to have personal training sessions to motivate me to get back in the gym.

I'm really not getting how people don't see that this is what's going on here. I don't know anyone who doesn't live on a budget. This is just an elaborate way of him giving her his share of the spending money, so she gets more and he gets less.

Money doesn't flow from the ATM like manna from heaven. There's a limit and bills, etc. He's giving her his portion of the leftovers. How is that creepy?

But isn't everything about marriage a political act? I mean, god forbid anyone live differently than I do. Heathens
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Although getting paid to lose weight would be a fun incentive it wouldn't have worked for me, my husband and I share all our money so it would be like paying myself!

What I did was declared that we would not go on another vacation until I hit my goal weight. It was a great incentive for me and my husband was more than happy to lend his support...he was dying to have a vacation! BTW, we went on a cruise right before xmas, a month after I hit goal!

So say your husband buys you a birthday or anniversary gift - do you not appreciate it because you two share all your money?

I personally would not appreciate getting cash as a gift from my husband.

Nice strawman

What??
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    Just divorce him and you'll get half of everything he has without having to lose weight.

+1
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Am I really the only one who finds this creepy?

I totally agree. This reminds me of when my grandparents used to try to bribe me into losing weight as a kid. I think it's the totally wrong way to go. I mean, I guess if the OP is already on her weight loss journey and it's just an added bonus? Sure. But... something just rubs me the wrong way about this.

Not really at all. When your grandparents did it to you, were you committed to losing weight already? I bet not. OP is committed to losing the weight and the money is just a nice incentive to help push her along.

It's not at all like he's putting her down or saying if she doesn't lose weight she won't get any money. He's just making it fun for her.
  • kymvia
    kymvia Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Oh wow !!! I hadnt been on here since I made my post.. thanks for all those who had encouraging words to say. So far I have made $40 ( I chose not to collect till I am at my goal weight) and for those who asked if I gain it back what then ??? Yes I have to pay him back. But I dont plan on gaining it back,. We both turned 50 last year and we are striving to get healthier . My hubby is buff he just needs to eat healthier ( that would be my fault) Not going to let any negatives get to me...I am a optimist Thanks Peeps !! :smile:
  • Bellacuore
    Bellacuore Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on quitting smoking kymvia! And congrats on your progress so far! I think it's a great idea and wish you much more success. =)
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    My hubby gave me a great incentive to lose weight. He said he would pay me for every pound i lost. 1-10 pounds $10 a pound. 11-20 pounds $15 a pound..21-30 pounds $20 a pound. Anything over 30 pounds $25 a pound. I need to lose 42 pounds. Gained the majority of the weight when i quit smoking. I can do this !!!'
    And if you don't, is he going to cut off your allowance?
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    This is not creepy if in the right context. Even though my husband and I share our money, we each get a set amount each month for our personal money to do whatever we want with it. It is not my "allowance" - we decided on a spending limit together so that we can meet financial goals (pay extra on our mortgage, student loans etc) and I get more than him each month. Its called budgeting. I don't see how this is much different than when my husband and I decided that we would temporarily change our budget to allow for me to have personal training sessions to motivate me to get back in the gym.

I'm really not getting how people don't see that this is what's going on here. I don't know anyone who doesn't live on a budget. This is just an elaborate way of him giving her his share of the spending money, so she gets more and he gets less.

Money doesn't flow from the ATM like manna from heaven. There's a limit and bills, etc. He's giving her his portion of the leftovers. How is that creepy?

I'm divided actually. Kind of speaks to more of a daddy daughter relationship, rather than husband and wife. TO ME.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Okay due to the mass confusion on this thread I now want to change my position.

I am now FOR paying me for my weight loss by the husbands with the condition that I am moving to a polygamy for women state.

*kicksbackinlazyboywithMFPsettosedentaryand1200calstowatchalltehchecksrollingIN*:smokin:

lazyboy.jpg

ETA a gif that actually goes with the post. :devil: :smokin:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I really just came back here to say that it occurs to me if regular dieter's face so much sabotage IMAGINE if the person stands to lose a monetary bet everytime you succeed? Sabotage city!
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    I really just came back here to say that it occurs to me if regular dieter's face so much sabotage IMAGINE if the person stands to lose a monetary bet everytime you succeed? Sabotage city!

im sorry, do you even know what sabotage is?

6a00d83451c83e69e200e5521bbd9f8834-800wi.jpg
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I spend all my pin money on steak and kidney pies.