My Experience with Dr. Oz Detox/Cleanse Smoothies

Options

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    And to the ones complaining about the snark...well, you're in a community full of people who have tried every milkshake, pill and trick in the book, and who KNOW it's all pseudosciencey BS. When I see responses from people who have lost 50, 100, 200 pounds in a healthy, sustainable way...yeah, I'll listen to them over Dr. Oz or any other shill.

Whatever the reason, it's hard for me to grasp that there are folks who believe, especially in a public forum or 'community full of people' like this, that sarcasm and 'snark' are helpful ways of communicating valuable information, or that that sort of tone provides effective support. A demeaning tone seems more likely to end participation and discussion, rather than encourage it, which, imo, is unfortunate.

Well, you can't control the reaction you're going to get from a public post so there's no point in being butthurt over it. I've only been reading the forums for a short while and cleansing/detoxing/magic potion/latest fad comes up basically every day so I think as a community MFP is "over it" and has lost patience. The OP even started with "If you don't like Dr. Oz or have your arguments over detox and cleansing that's fine"...so she knows.

I 'm not sure anyone's 'butthurt over it'. The point is, especially in an environment where people are feeling somewhat insecure and vulnerable, (and folks who have been battling weight issues often are), that rude and sarcastic feedback is more likely to end discussion than encourage it. On the other hand, thoughtful, honest, respectful feedback is more likely to be heard and invite discussion.

Oh, really? Because we have had this discussion several thousand times on this site.

I wish it were that easy to end these types of discussions. We don't want these types of discussions here. So anything that shortens them is good thing.

So, cat gifs!!
    Dancing-Cat-Animated.gif
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    Whatever a least I don't believe in pizza, and those juices are blended vegetables!

i cant even....

is this.....

538.gif
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Lol I stoppd reading after 3 days. Lots of things are doable for 3 days . . . let us know how you feel after 2 or 3 weeks of this crap.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    What do I have to do to get a strike around here

Someone please report me for being obscene.

Maybe something off topic...I like diet Dr. Pepper. If you don't like diet Dr. Pepper, you are an *kitten* hole.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Oh, really? Because we have had this discussion several thousand times on this site.

I wish it were that easy to end these types of discussions. We don't want these types of discussions here. So anything that shortens them is good thing.
    So, cat gifs!!
    Dancing-Cat-Animated.gif

cat gif's it is!

8.gif
  • Othelie157
    Options
    A little of topic, but I laughed when I saw you use your Wii as your scale, I was pretty sure I was the only one who did that.

As for the smoothies, it's to expensive for my taste (and have to much kale in it for my taste) and I like food that I can chew. But if you like it then good for you for finding something you like.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I stopped reading after I saw Dr. Oz
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    Whatever a least I don't believe in pizza, and those juices are blended vegetables!

You'll get a lot further eating pizza than you would sucking down nothing but liquefied vegetables, especially since dropping some veggies on a pizza tends to work better than tossing some chicken, beef or pork into the blender for a smoothie.

Really? I watched an episode of Extreme Eaters where a guy ate nothing but pizza for years. Eventually, he was throwing up every morning and having terrible headaches. It turned out that his body had developed a toxic response to the dairy from being overwhelmed with it. Some pizza is fine, but I think the smoothies are probably healthier. I read the recipes and other than being too low cal to be permanent, they seem pretty healthy. I don't see what the big concern is.

I wasn't concerned. I was merely responding to a ridiculous comment with something that made roughly the same amount of sense. I will, however, make a note of this for the next time someone attempts to over-cheese my pizza, since I'd hate to develop life-threatening cheese toxicity.
  • lovelayla
    lovelayla Posts: 123
    Options
    Because if THIS and all the other BULLY stuff going on I just discover the BLOCK USER feature! There seems to be a group of people that lost weight and make it their business to jump on EVERY thread that does no agree with Their way and insult people.YOU were once trying to lose weight too,and there is NO one sized fits all approach to weight loss! She came to share HER experience....she DID not ask for your RUDE advice.
  • Zaftique
    Zaftique Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    This and if all you have is sugar coated *kitten*, it's still just *kitten* isn't it? (this is NOT meant to be mean or rude or whatever it is you want to call it. I'm just saying.)

y3PRp.gif

I came in here solely to steal this .gif.

*yoink*
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    Because if THIS and all the other BULLY stuff going on I just discover the BLOCK USER feature! There seems to be a group of people that lost weight and make it their business to jump on EVERY thread that does no agree with Their way and insult people.YOU were once trying to lose weight too,and there is NO one sized fits all approach to weight loss! She came to share HER experience....she DID not ask for your RUDE advice.

post-15145-you-keep-using-that-word-gif-p-R7FH.gif
    Again, disagreement does not equal rude and it certainly doesn't equal bully. You might want to learn those definitions.

I'll make it easy for you...
    bul·ly1 [bool-ee] noun, plural bul·lies. 1. a blustering, quarrelsome, overbearing person who habitually badgers and intimidates smaller or weaker people.

Of which NO one is doing...

rude [rood] adjective, rud·er, rud·est. 1. discourteous or impolite, especially in a deliberate way: a rude reply.

Honest answers does NOT equal rude.

There are a couple posts a couple pages back explaining why people who disagree post in these threads. So you MAY want to go check those out and try to understand why these threads can actually be harmful to new users. I know it's 8 pages and a lot of reading, but I know you can do it. I have faith.

Here's a cute cat for you. So you don't think I'm mean.

cat-watching-nyan-cat.gif
  • ComradeTovarich
    ComradeTovarich Posts: 495 Member
    Options

Yeah guys! Stop telling the truth! It's mean!

You-Cant-Handle-the-Truth.jpg
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

Again, disagreement does not equal rude and it certainly doesn't equal bully. You might want to learn those definitions.

bul·ly1 [bool-ee] noun, plural bul·lies. 1. a blustering, quarrelsome, overbearing person who habitually badgers and intimidates smaller or weaker people.

rude [rood] adjective, rud·er, rud·est. 1. discourteous or impolite, especially in a deliberate way: a rude reply.

There are a couple posts a couple pages back explaining why people who disagree post in these threads. So you MAY want to go check those out and try to understand why these threads can actually be harmful to new users. I know it's 8 pages and a lot of reading, but I know you can do it. I have faith.

Here, I'll even help by pulling this one which I thought explained it nicely:
    Misinformation is ALWAYS HARMFUL. Maybe drinking juice for 3 days won't cause any noticeable, physical harm. But the attitude that even though science tells us there's no benefit to detoxing we're just going to do it anyway, and anyone who thinks it's a bad idea should just STFU, is harmful.

It's the same attitude that has caused my MiL to take my 16-year-old sister-in-law to a naturopath who consults with the spirits instead of to a real doctor. Anti-science sentiments do cause harm. To believe that they don't is naive.
  • sue_langley
    sue_langley Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    What a great feeling. Let me know when you do it again. I will do it with you.
  • smelius22
    smelius22 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Congrats on completing your challenge, I'm glad it has made you happy! :)

side note: It is annoying me that so many posters are being so negative and saying that OP thinks this is a "magical recipe" that will make her lose weight.. that's not at all the idea I got when I read the whole post (unlike most who only read parts or didn't read it at all, yet somehow have an opinion on it).

Good luck on your journey to healthy eating! :)
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    there is NO one sized fits all approach to weight loss!

Uh yeah there is. It's called move more, eat less. Mind blowing I know.
    She came to share HER experience....she DID not ask for your RUDE advice.

This is a message board, not a profile wall :/
  • lovelayla
    lovelayla Posts: 123
    Options

post-15145-you-keep-using-that-word-gif-p-R7FH.gif

Here's a cute cat for you. So you don't think I'm mean.

cat-watching-nyan-cat.gif

That is Exactly what is going on.I have something for you too and it ain't my pinky.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    Congrats on completing your challenge, I'm glad it has made you happy! :)

side note: It is annoying me that so many posters are being so negative and saying that OP thinks this is a "magical recipe" that will make her lose weight.. that's not at all the idea I got when I read the whole post (unlike most who only read parts or didn't read it at all, yet somehow have an opinion on it).

Good luck on your journey to healthy eating! :)

Last time...

Disagreement or honesty does not equal negativity.

if you sugar coat *kitten* it's still just *kitten*.
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I believe in pizza...
    pizza_god.gif
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Wait...

Someone doesn't believe in pizza?

Breaking-Bad-Pizza.gif
This discussion has been closed.