My Experience with Dr. Oz Detox/Cleanse Smoothies

Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    And to the ones complaining about the snark...well, you're in a community full of people who have tried every milkshake, pill and trick in the book, and who KNOW it's all pseudosciencey BS. When I see responses from people who have lost 50, 100, 200 pounds in a healthy, sustainable way...yeah, I'll listen to them over Dr. Oz or any other shill.

Whatever the reason, it's hard for me to grasp that there are folks who believe, especially in a public forum or 'community full of people' like this, that sarcasm and 'snark' are helpful ways of communicating valuable information, or that that sort of tone provides effective support. A demeaning tone seems more likely to end participation and discussion, rather than encourage it, which, imo, is unfortunate.

It is a community, and like any community there are many different personalities and communication styles here. I love sarcasm/snark. I'd rather have that than a community that was always sweet and supportive all the time, tbh.

The best approach imo is to take what's helpful for you and ignore the rest, because it's probably helping someone with a different personality type than you have.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Whatever a least I don't believe in pizza, and those juices are blended vegetables!

Here's a thought...you could just eat the vegetables! It would actually be more beneficial and better for you to actually eat them. Juicing them you lose the fiber.

Or eat your vegetables ON your pizza. :bigsmile:
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Whatever a least I don't believe in pizza, and those juices are blended vegetables!

Here's a thought...you could just eat the vegetables! It would actually be more beneficial and better for you to actually eat them. Juicing them you lose the fiber.

The OP was drinking smoothies and using a blender, not a juicer, so the fiber should still be there.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

tumblr_lx5azw8LcG1qf9mevo1_500.gif
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options

Eating vegetables and fruits? The heck you say! What new fangled mode will they come up with next?! :D

Oh and I'm personally waiting for people to report back on the Ice Cream detox. This one looks like more fun. http://gizmodo.com/i-did-the-worlds-first-ice-cream-cleanse-yes-really-1536766226

tumblr_mxa9b9nRT41smcbm7o1_400.gif
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

tumblr_mqiaarlaHC1sp9fcho1_500_zps6226f73b.gif
  • bhdon
    bhdon Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    And to the ones complaining about the snark...well, you're in a community full of people who have tried every milkshake, pill and trick in the book, and who KNOW it's all pseudosciencey BS. When I see responses from people who have lost 50, 100, 200 pounds in a healthy, sustainable way...yeah, I'll listen to them over Dr. Oz or any other shill.

Whatever the reason, it's hard for me to grasp that there are folks who believe, especially in a public forum or 'community full of people' like this, that sarcasm and 'snark' are helpful ways of communicating valuable information, or that that sort of tone provides effective support. A demeaning tone seems more likely to end participation and discussion, rather than encourage it, which, imo, is unfortunate.

Well, you can't control the reaction you're going to get from a public post so there's no point in being butthurt over it. I've only been reading the forums for a short while and cleansing/detoxing/magic potion/latest fad comes up basically every day so I think as a community MFP is "over it" and has lost patience. The OP even started with "If you don't like Dr. Oz or have your arguments over detox and cleansing that's fine"...so she knows.

I 'm not sure anyone's 'butthurt over it'. The point is, especially in an environment where people are feeling somewhat insecure and vulnerable, (and folks who have been battling weight issues often are), that rude and sarcastic feedback is more likely to end discussion than encourage it. On the other hand, thoughtful, honest, respectful feedback is more likely to be heard and invite discussion.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options

tumblr_mqiaarlaHC1sp9fcho1_500_zps6226f73b.gif

3a9296910b700fb0_tumblr_mj1k17kIL61qfjyrro1_500.xxxlarge.gif

I love me some Audrey Hepburn!
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options

Well, you can't control the reaction you're going to get from a public post so there's no point in being butthurt over it. I've only been reading the forums for a short while and cleansing/detoxing/magic potion/latest fad comes up basically every day so I think as a community MFP is "over it" and has lost patience. The OP even started with "If you don't like Dr. Oz or have your arguments over detox and cleansing that's fine"...so she knows.

I 'm not sure anyone's 'butthurt over it'. The point is, especially in an environment where people are feeling somewhat insecure and vulnerable, (and folks who have been battling weight issues often are), that rude and sarcastic feedback is more likely to end discussion than encourage it. On the other hand, thoughtful, honest, respectful feedback is more likely to be heard and invite discussion.

Have you seen what happens to "thoughtful, honest, respectful feedback" around here? Didn't think so. 99 times out of a 100 that kind of feedback is blatantly ignored, because "drink this smoothie and detox all teh toxinz that are making you fat and sad!" is flashy and sounds like the weightloss panacea everyone needs. Sadly, common sense, e.g. creating a sensible deficit over time through diet and exercise, is the only panacea, but it's not flashy enough to be a popular advice.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    To all of those that think they need a detox/cleanse: You do realize we have built in detox/cleanses for our bodies right? It's important things like this that come standard.

They are called peeing, pooping, and sweating. You're welcome.

Hilarious!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Don't forget breathing!!! Very important one
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

honest feedback is called "mean" by 98% of the folks that read it on here. That's the issue. It's all in perception. Problem is, I'm not going to cater my advice on anyone's perception but my own.

Honest, in the MFP Forums world, tends to be labeled as cyber bullying and a great number of other things that aren't accurate either. It's a shame how TONE doesn't translate over the web.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Have you seen what happens to "thoughtful, honest, respectful feedback" around here? Didn't think so. 99 times out of a 100 that kind of feedback is blatantly ignored, because "drink this smoothie and detox all teh toxinz that are making you fat and sad!" is flashy and sounds like the weightloss panacea everyone needs. Sadly, common sense, e.g. creating a sensible deficit over time through diet and exercise, is the only panacea, but it's not flashy enough to be a popular advice.

YES!

This is why the honest truth is most often laced in sarcasm and snark. It gets your attention. It has to have a clever delivery for someone to not read over it.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,099 Member
    Options

Oh, really? Because we have had this discussion several thousand times on this site.

I wish it were that easy to end these types of discussions. We don't want these types of discussions here. So anything that shortens them is good thing.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options

YES!

This is why the honest truth is most often laced in sarcasm and snark. It gets your attention. It has to have a clever delivery for someone to not read over it.

This and if all you have is sugar coated *kitten*, it's still just *kitten* isn't it? (this is NOT meant to be mean or rude or whatever it is you want to call it. I'm just saying.)

y3PRp.gif
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options

Okay now that's just ridiculous. You mean you don't eat pizza. But exactly how do you "not believe in" pizza? I can order you one over the internet right now and it'll show up within an hour on your doorstep. It's not the toothfairy. Not believing in is not a valid option.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options

You'll get a lot further eating pizza than you would sucking down nothing but liquefied vegetables, especially since dropping some veggies on a pizza tends to work better than tossing some chicken, beef or pork into the blender for a smoothie.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options

Okay now that's just ridiculous. You mean you don't eat pizza. But exactly how do you "not believe in" pizza? I can order you one over the internet right now and it'll show up within an hour on your doorstep. It's not the toothfairy. Not believing in is not a valid option.

I like you. :)
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

YES!

+1 :drinker:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In to catch up later.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options

You'll get a lot further eating pizza than you would sucking down nothing but liquefied vegetables, especially since dropping some veggies on a pizza tends to work better than tossing some chicken, beef or pork into the blender for a smoothie.

Really? I watched an episode of Extreme Eaters where a guy ate nothing but pizza for years. Eventually, he was throwing up every morning and having terrible headaches. It turned out that his body had developed a toxic response to the dairy from being overwhelmed with it. Some pizza is fine, but I think the smoothies are probably healthier. I read the recipes and other than being too low cal to be permanent, they seem pretty healthy. I don't see what the big concern is.
This discussion has been closed.