My Experience with Dr. Oz Detox/Cleanse Smoothies

Options

Replies

• knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Somebody please read this and give me the Clif Notes version?

Dr. Oz is universally panned in this community, so I was in for snarky comments, but after my mouse wheel broke trying to scroll through your post I gave up. Sorry.

Lost 4 pounds in 3 days by sticking Kale and other stuff in a blender 3 times a day, instead of eating food. Worked out and experienced no hunger.

Edit: typo.

Pretty much - Giant Smoothies for three days and lots of water - I could do it if my smoothies were that huge but would I really want to? Perhaps - I sometimes replace meals with a smoothie but not sure I would want to do it for 3 days with nothing else. Doable but what would the end result be? Maybe a 4 lb loss that sticks maybe not.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    There is a big difference between being an A hole and expressing concern for ones flawed dieting or detox method. Just reading the first few pages, there was way more A hole posts than constructive, educational criticism.

Oh Oh wait, forget, should grow a thicker so so we can can all continue our A hole ways.

Slow clap MFP community.

You're sensitive. We get it. You should assume that those posts weren't for you (or at least were not for you at this time).

Other people aren't like you. They don't read things the same way you read them. They prefer a different approach. Those posts were for them.

I don't tell people who provide feedback in a certain (overly-sensitive IMHO) way that they're doing it wrong. I just think that they're speaking to an audience that I'm not a part of.

Why is this so seemingly difficult for so many to comprehend?
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Not sure why people bash others, must be immaturity.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the Dr. Oz 3 day Cleanse.

thank you....

I don't understand why if they simply don't agree, then why not just skip it and move on to a topic they do agree with.

for me it will always be a threshold I crossed into focusing more on eating healthier.

I would assume that those who have lost 20 or 30lbs would be understanding, as I know this doesnt happen over night, rather it is a lifestyle that you just have to get rid of certain foods and never let back in your life. Yes I feel my cravings have diminished too which is great.

Here is an example of a diet that people could believe is beneficial:

You drink a lemon water beverage, sometimes containing maple syrup. This is all you drink for 7-14 days. That's it.

This can be harmful. This is unnecessary and it is not beneficial to take such extreme measures.

If someone came on here and posted that they wanted to do a 14 day lemon water fast, would YOU still advocate taking a "if you don't agree with it, don't say anything" approach?

Based on your post, I can only assume that you have no idea how many people read these forum posts looking for solutions to their problems and you have no idea how many people are unable to separate dietary fads from realistic, sustainable habits.

Misinformation is bad regardless of whether that information comes from Dr. Oz or some random internet person posting on a public forum.

Letting potentially harmful information slide on by because you don't agree with it does not do anyone any favors unless you're more interested in protecting one person's feelings than you are protecting the hundreds of people who may fall for the bogus, harmful dietary strategies often proposed by people on these forums who just don't know any better.

Finally, I'm not attacking you. I am disagreeing with your ideas.

But it's perfectly acceptable for the haters to go on and on and on and on and on about eating as much pizza/McDonalds/cookies/ice cream etc etc etc as you want as long as you stay under some magical made up number? That's the most bogus dietary strategy ever to appear anywhere on the internet yet it's somehow acceptable on this site while advocating eating healthy vegetable based smoothies isn't? Are we living in Upsidedown World or something? Sure you might lose weight eating pizza and chips but so what, you can lose weight taking speed every day as well - doesn't mean it's good for you.

Lollercoaster

Advocating a flexible diet vs advocating drinking only crappy veggie shakes? Well that certainly is crazy talk. Not that I'd expect someone who is an organic food "gourmand" to understand

But, the OP was not advocating drinking only crappy veggie shakes as an on going method for losing weight. She gave her experience on using these shakes for a 3 day period. That's it. Three days, not a life long way of eating. The fact that folks started jumping on her for sharing her experience is beyond me. Ok, the Dr Oz I get but not the shakes. Folks talk about smoothies, replacement meal shakes and protein drinks all the time here. While I don't personally use a lot of these on any kind of a regular basis, I have enjoyed a homemade veggie shake or smoothie on occasion. A three day period of drinking these shakes is not going to do any harm that I can see. As far as detox goes, there are many forms. Her detox shakes are a heck of a lot more benign than a lot of 'detox' tablets on the market that are down right dangerous. They certainly are not as harmful as these http://www.amazon.com/Haribo-Gummi-Bears-Sugar-Free/product-reviews/B000EVQWKC/ref=cm_cr_pr_btm_link_next_2?ie=UTF8&pageNumber=2&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=byRankDescending and quite frankly the cleanse for a colonoscopy isn't very pleasant either. Her shakes actually have some nutrition in them.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I didn't read responses, but wanted to say thanks for the post. I've only done something similar once, and whether folks believe it detoxes you or not, it helped me to step away from all the crap and processed foods I was eating. I was basically able to walk away from food for a couple of days and reevaluate where I wanted to be.

Detoxification: the process of removing toxic substances or qualities.

Toxic things aren't necessarily chemicals or build up in your body. When someone gets on a path of destruction via poor food choices and bad lifestyle, you can detox your body from addictive substances (caffeine) or your mind of negative thoughts. Who's to judge how you do it.

Why would you want to walk away from food? you should eat food. it's good for you. if you eat a variety of it in moderation, it's healthy for you.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

thank you....

I don't understand why if they simply don't agree, then why not just skip it and move on to a topic they do agree with.

for me it will always be a threshold I crossed into focusing more on eating healthier.

I would assume that those who have lost 20 or 30lbs would be understanding, as I know this doesnt happen over night, rather it is a lifestyle that you just have to get rid of certain foods and never let back in your life. Yes I feel my cravings have diminished too which is great.

You drink a lemon water beverage, sometimes containing maple syrup. This is all you drink for 7-14 days. That's it.

This can be harmful. This is unnecessary and it is not beneficial to take such extreme measures.

If someone came on here and posted that they wanted to do a 14 day lemon water fast, would YOU still advocate taking a "if you don't agree with it, don't say anything" approach?

Based on your post, I can only assume that you have no idea how many people read these forum posts looking for solutions to their problems and you have no idea how many people are unable to separate dietary fads from realistic, sustainable habits.

Misinformation is bad regardless of whether that information comes from Dr. Oz or some random internet person posting on a public forum.

Letting potentially harmful information slide on by because you don't agree with it does not do anyone any favors unless you're more interested in protecting one person's feelings than you are protecting the hundreds of people who may fall for the bogus, harmful dietary strategies often proposed by people on these forums who just don't know any better.

But it's perfectly acceptable for the haters to go on and on and on and on and on about eating as much pizza/McDonalds/cookies/ice cream etc etc etc as you want as long as you stay under some magical made up number? That's the most bogus dietary strategy ever to appear anywhere on the internet yet it's somehow acceptable on this site while advocating eating healthy vegetable based smoothies isn't? Are we living in Upsidedown World or something? Sure you might lose weight eating pizza and chips but so what, you can lose weight taking speed every day as well - doesn't mean it's good for you.

Lollercoaster

Advocating a flexible diet vs advocating drinking only crappy veggie shakes? Well that certainly is crazy talk. Not that I'd expect someone who is an organic food "gourmand" to understand

But, the OP was not advocating drinking only crappy veggie shakes as an on going method for losing weight. She gave her experience on using these shakes for a 3 day period. That's it. Three days, not a life long way of eating. The fact that folks started jumping on her for sharing her experience is beyond me. Ok, the Dr Oz I get but not the shakes. Folks talk about smoothies, replacement meal shakes and protein drinks all the time here. While I don't personally use a lot of these on any kind of a regular basis, I have enjoyed a homemade veggie shake or smoothie on occasion. A three day period of drinking these shakes is not going to do any harm that I can see. As far as detox goes, there are many forms. Her detox shakes are a heck of a lot more benign than a lot of 'detox' tablets on the market that are down right dangerous. They certainly are not as harmful as these http://www.amazon.com/Haribo-Gummi-Bears-Sugar-Free/product-reviews/B000EVQWKC/ref=cm_cr_pr_btm_link_next_2?ie=UTF8&pageNumber=2&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=byRankDescending and quite frankly the cleanse for a colonoscopy isn't very pleasant either. Her shakes actually have some nutrition in them.

And I was first to ask what toxins she was detoxing, of course that is still unanswered. And please tell us why the gummy bears are harmful.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    There is a big difference between being an A hole and expressing concern for ones flawed dieting or detox method. Just reading the first few pages, there was way more A hole posts than constructive, educational criticism.

Oh Oh wait, forget, should grow a thicker so so we can can all continue our A hole ways.

Slow clap MFP community.

You're sensitive. We get it. You should assume that those posts weren't for you (or at least were not for you at this time).

Other people aren't like you. They don't read things the same way you read them. They prefer a different approach. Those posts were for them.

I don't tell people who provide feedback in a certain (overly-sensitive IMHO) way that they're doing it wrong. I just think that they're speaking to an audience that I'm not a part of.

Why is this so seemingly difficult for so many to comprehend?

I blame the "don't say anything I don't want to hear", "If you don't agree me it's rude", "participation trophies for everyone" crow.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

thank you....

Lollercoaster

And I was first to ask what toxins she was detoxing, of course that is still unanswered. And please tell us why the gummy bears are harmful.

(Have you read the reviews for those *sugar free* gummy bears? I'd have to say they're pretty harmful...at least to life as you currently know it. Seriously, read them...they're comic gold.)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    wow…I get busy at work and come back about four hour later and this thread had freaking exploded!!!!

LOL
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    wow…I get busy at work and come back about four hour later and this thread had freaking exploded!!!!

LOL

tumblr_lc55w0e4Vr1qc42blo1_500.gif
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

thank you....

Err. Is that what people say? Or is that how you choose to read it? Because I'm all about telling people to just shut up and eat the damn cookie, but I've never said what you're claiming people say, nor do I do it myself. It stands to reason I (and most if not all people) are in favor of a nutrient dense diets THAT ALSO allows for less nutrient dense things as well.

L2Balance.
  • lovelayla
    lovelayla Posts: 123
    Options

Slow clap MFP community.

LOVE IT.
  • Achrya
    Options

Slow clap MFP community.

*kitten* posts are a matter of perspective.

But of course everyone is you and sees things the way you do, right?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

thank you....

Lollercoaster

Again, it's not what she's doing so much as the mentality that is harmful.

"Detox" the way it is used here flies in the face of all of the available science. Just because her version isn't the most dangerous, that doesn't mean we should let it slide that she's basically saying "I don't care that the science disagrees with me." That attitude is harmful imo.
  • ndj1979
    Options

LOL

tumblr_lc55w0e4Vr1qc42blo1_500.gif

I was thinking nuclear….good gif...
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options

Slow clap MFP community.

Thank you, it takes courage to stand up to bullies.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I didn't read responses, but wanted to say thanks for the post. I've only done something similar once, and whether folks believe it detoxes you or not, it helped me to step away from all the crap and processed foods I was eating. I was basically able to walk away from food for a couple of days and reevaluate where I wanted to be.

Detoxification: the process of removing toxic substances or qualities.

Toxic things aren't necessarily chemicals or build up in your body. When someone gets on a path of destruction via poor food choices and bad lifestyle, you can detox your body from addictive substances (caffeine) or your mind of negative thoughts. Who's to judge how you do it.

please explain the toxins that a cleanse releases that your body does not naturally cleanse itself of?
  • ndj1979
    Options

Slow clap MFP community.

pffff once again the bully train is never late…

everyone who disagrees with the OP must be a "bully" ..OK sure..so saying that spending 16.00 a day on a cleanse that resulted in four pounds in water weight loss, and that the OP admitted she did not know if it really did "anything" is "bullying" …yea, sure….
  • Achrya
    Options

Slow clap MFP community.

Courage to stand up to bullies...on a forum where all she has to do is type. So dramatic.

Somewhere people who have to deal with actual bullying and have to exhibit real courage in the face of unfair treatment are wincing.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Slow clap MFP community.

What bullies???

And what "stand up"???

She responded...on a message board...to people whose "tone" of communication she disagreed with.

There is no righteous stance being taken against some great oppressor here...

...and there is no danger for which she is being courageous.

ETA: Dammit! I was too slow. Achrya, why are you bullying me???
  • Achrya
    Options

Slow clap MFP community.

What bullies???

And what "stand up"???

She responded...on a message board...to people whose "tone" of communication she disagreed with.

There is no righteous stance being taken against some great oppressor here...

...and there is no danger for which she is being courageous.

ETA: Dammit! I was too slow. Achrya, why are you bullying me???

loki%20pushes%20kid.gif

deal with it
This discussion has been closed.