Dairy Alarmism

Replies

• SpicesOfLife
    SpicesOfLife Posts: 290 Member
    You could be right. This thread is too long to reread.

that it is.. also i think this is my stop ;) *waves*
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    The ones drinking milk in this pic are:
    babies
    carnivores

Human adults are neither.

True; however, I don't know if you noticed but she referred to the line that said "we are the only mammals that consume milk from another mammal".
    I noticed, but i still think cow's milk is not a good food for humans. We are the only species who makes a daily habit of harvesting and processing the milk from another species, and then consuming it long into adulthood.

Why is cows milk bad for humans?
    because he is morally opposed to it...

Sounds legit. :yawn:
    Whoever wrote that morally opposed comment does not get to speak for me. It's bad for human health, and that has nothing to do with morals.

Not sure who wrote it, though, because this thread looks like this to me:

You are ignoring this user undo

Wow, so that is how you are. I suspected that. You really don't care about other peoples opinions or facts. You have your opinion without fact and that is all that matters. You don't have science to back it up, just YOUR OPINION. I have been seeing you post a lot the last few days and every time I see your name my first thought is I sure hope you are not this opinionated outside the forums because if you are I would expect there to be some emergency room visits. I have met people that act like you outside the internetz in the past and most are not well liked.

By the way, that video you posted was a very poor descriptor of what it is really like on a dairy farm. Nothing like someone taking a hidden video and then editing it to show only what they want. I used to work on a dairy farm and it was nothing like that.

We love milk (family goes through 3 - 4 gallons a week), cheese, yogurt, butter and cheese in our house.

Also, to those on his blocked list. Kudos!!!!!!!!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,872 Member
    I'm allergic to all forms of dairy. Whey, Lactose, Casein...apparently there are more people in the world that can't tolerate dairy as apposed to those that can (No I don't have scientific stats to back me up, I'm just going by what my doctor and nutrionist said), however if I could, I would EAT ALL THE ICECREAM!!! Be thankful that you can handle such a high protein source, the rest of us have to spend tons of money for dairy free protein powder and consume a lot more food to get our calcium intake up. I fear osteoporosis.
    No worries, I'm sure a certain someone will come along soon to tell you that diary causes osteoporosis.

EDIT: Oh, and he'll also say you don't need much protein at all and it's just a conspiracy.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member

I agree with you, but the insults have been flying from both directions.

It's unfortunate that we can't disagree while still treating each other with some respect.

but in self defense, if i remember correctly.. :P

f-p.gif
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    This thread would still be on page one if you guys would quit quoting each other.

Each page has X number of posts. It doesn't matter how big or small those posts are... so quoting doesn't do anything other than shrink the scroll bar.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Cooking food is a mistake?!

surprised-cat-o.gif

(edited to narrow down the quotes.. ;D)

According to him, yes. He is a raw vegan, IIRC.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    This thread would still be on page one if you guys would quit quoting each other.

Each page has X number of posts. It doesn't matter how big or small those posts are... so quoting doesn't do anything other than shrink the scroll bar.

Oh. I stand corrected.

Then how about this:

My eyes wouldn't be all worn out if you guys would quit quoting each other.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member

Then how about this:

My eyes wouldn't be all worn out if you guys would quit quoting each other.

seriously, it isn't that hard to delete the quotes of quotes you don't need and only quote what you're replying to.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Cooking food is a mistake?!

surprised-cat-o.gif

(edited to narrow down the quotes.. ;D)

No i'm not a raw vegan, but i'm close. Cooked food is not as nutritious as raw fruits and veg.
  • jim180155
    True, John.

Also, it'd be nice if the quotes included names. As entertaining as some of these arguments are, it's hard to remember who's arguing with who.
  • jim180155
    No i'm not a raw vegan, but i'm close. Cooked food is not as nutritious as raw fruits and veg.

Not everyone agrees, but I think raw veggies taste better than cooked veggies. And I think everyone likes raw fruits better than cooked.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member

Not everyone agrees, but I think raw veggies taste better than cooked veggies. And I think everyone likes raw fruits better than cooked.

Raw veggies =/= raw fruit
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    The ones drinking milk in this pic are:
    babies
    carnivores

Human adults are neither.

True; however, I don't know if you noticed but she referred to the line that said "we are the only mammals that consume milk from another mammal".
    I noticed, but i still think cow's milk is not a good food for humans. We are the only species who makes a daily habit of harvesting and processing the milk from another species, and then consuming it long into adulthood.

We do it because we can. Other animals can't---or perhaps they would. :smile:
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    QUOTE FROM SNOWFLAKE954: We do it because we can. Other animals can't---or perhaps they would. :smile:
    Perhaps you are right.

(How's that quoting method, Jim?)
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member

I won't group all vegetables into tastes better cooked or raw because I prefer different ones in different styles

I find some of the higher nutrient veggies difficult to consume raw (greens) in any decent calorie #. Granted those were never really "intended" to be consumed as a high % of a human diet.
  • jim180155
    Perhaps you are right.

We're making progress. I think my work here is done.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member

So you don't like apple pie?
  • richardheath

Sorry.

But cooked can be more nutritious than raw. http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/raw-veggies-are-healthier/
    One 2002 study he did (published in the Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry) found that cooking actually boosts the amount of lycopene in tomatoes. He tells ScientificAmerican.com that the level of one type of lycopene, cis-lycopene, in tomatoes rose 35 percent after he cooked them for 30 minutes at 190.4 degrees Fahrenheit (88 degrees Celsius). The reason, he says: the heat breaks down the plants' thick cell walls and aids the body's uptake of some nutrients that are bound to those cell walls.

Cooked carrots, spinach, mushrooms, asparagus, cabbage, peppers and many other vegetables also supply more antioxidants, such as carotenoids and ferulic acid, to the body than they do when raw, Liu says. At least, that is, if they're boiled or steamed. A January 2008 report in the Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry said that boiling and steaming better preserves antioxidants, particularly carotenoid, in carrots, zucchini and broccoli, than frying, though boiling was deemed the best. The researchers studied the impact of the various cooking techniques on compounds such as carotenoids, ascorbic acid and polyphenols.
  • richardheath
    QUOTE FROM SNOWFLAKE954: We do it because we can. Other animals can't---or perhaps they would. :smile:
    Perhaps you are right.

Other forums I've posted on have a
    username wrote:
    function, that adds the poster's name to the quote... Wish they'd do that here!