Dairy Alarmism

Options

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    Why you guys picking on hormones..........plants have hormones too.....

phytoestrogens are all natural and good, while environmental estrogens (manmade compounds) which often have much lower affinity for the estrogen receptor (very promiscuous receptor anyway) are ALWAYS bad...
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    If you dont want to eat Dairy Dont eat Dairy. If you want to gobble it up! Personally i have come to my own conclusion that Milk is not necessary and i choose not to consume it anymore. Its for baby cows not humans. The only little bit of dairy i eat is mozzarella once and a while. but i am working on no Dairy at all.. its a choice to make by yourself. I personally believe that Milk has been advertised and push on us saying well if you dont drink milk you wont get enought calcium. its all political and money driven. They dont want people to stop drinking milk becuase people make alot of money from the Milk industry. anyways its a personal choice. if you are drinking regular USDA Milk you are drinking hormones. if you are ok with that, thats your choice.

:laugh:

Yeah.

Recombinant Bovine Somatotropin (rBST) (also called simply growth hormone, or GH) is used to increase milk production, and can be found to some extent in milk. The milk of cows not treated with the recombinant protein show low levels of the endogenous protein. BUT this protein is destroyed by the pasturization process and by digestion (as any protein is) in the gut.

Further, even if some did make it into the blood system (where it would need to be to cause any possible effects) it has been shown that bovine growth hormone does not bind to human growth hormone receptors meaning it would have no physiological effect on humans.

Here is a blog post about this (it has references too if you want to dig further): http://scienceblogs.com/aetiology/2012/06/19/growth-hormones-in-milk-mythfact/
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    If you dont want to eat Dairy Dont eat Dairy. If you want to gobble it up! Personally i have come to my own conclusion that Milk is not necessary and i choose not to consume it anymore. Its for baby cows not humans. The only little bit of dairy i eat is mozzarella once and a while. but i am working on no Dairy at all.. its a choice to make by yourself. I personally believe that Milk has been advertised and push on us saying well if you dont drink milk you wont get enought calcium. its all political and money driven. They dont want people to stop drinking milk becuase people make alot of money from the Milk industry. anyways its a personal choice. if you are drinking regular USDA Milk you are drinking hormones. if you are ok with that, thats your choice.

Nonsense...
    Well said. :smile:

Not really. It made perfect sense to me. I didn't agree with everything she said, but I understood every word. If you two would like me to read it to you, maybe you too could understand and then decide whether you agree or not.

Absolute nonsense...
  • richardheath
    Options
    MMMMMMM, that big glass of milk after my run was awesome! Seriously, perfect balance of carbs fats and proteins for recharging my system. Lucky for me I'm not allergic and my body produces it's own lactase, so there's absolutely no good reason to avoid it.

but dairy is a death sentence!

Well you know, none of us are getting off the planet alive anyway!

I am! I'm going to go to Mars!
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

Nonsense...

Not really. It made perfect sense to me. I didn't agree with everything she said, but I understood every word. If you two would like me to read it to you, maybe you too could understand and then decide whether you agree or not.

Absolute nonsense...
    Absolutely well said. :smile:
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    MMMMMMM, that big glass of milk after my run was awesome! Seriously, perfect balance of carbs fats and proteins for recharging my system. Lucky for me I'm not allergic and my body produces it's own lactase, so there's absolutely no good reason to avoid it.

but dairy is a death sentence!

Well you know, none of us are getting off the planet alive anyway!
    With that attitude, what's keeping you from getting into drugs? I'm not advocating that! I'm just saying that we can make choices that about what we put into our bodies, and those choices effect our lives, more than we realize during the pleasurable moment of ingestion
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I don't eat much meat, so to get to my goal of 150g of protein a day, I eat a lot of dairy. Not much milk, but eggs, yogurt, cheeses. Every day. No dairy intolerances (I've been tested).
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Conspiracies are everywhere! I think we're all big enough to figure advertising out and buy accordingly. By the way--do you eat eggs? You know you are eating unborn chickens?
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Well, Richard, we may not see eye to eye on diet, but you are one of the smart ones on here. Thanks for the discourse.
    People criticize the ones that preach moderation and calories in calories out by calling us closed minded but this the absolute perfect example of someone being closed minded. Block anyone that doesn't agree with you and praise the ones that do while taking shots at the other group.

Talk about being so brainwashed that you can't even have a thought out debate with the opposition because your views have validity and opening yourself up for debate risks being exposed for shopping you really are, a blind believer.

You can't fight faith with facts...
  • richardheath
    Options

Nonsense...

Just because words are strung together to form cohesive sentences doesn't mean that something isn't nonsense, you know?

But, as I feel like I am picking on the poster who made this original statement, and I don't mean to, I do want to say that I agree that milk/dairy are not required for life, and one can certainly chose to not consume them if one so wants. I simply think that people can only make informed choices if they have the correct facts.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I love dairy and eat tons of it. I feel great, I look good, my blood work is excellent, my doctor says I am lean, fit and very healthy. Why would I give up something I love eating so much because of articles on the internet?

For every article that says dairy is bad, I'm sure there is one that touts dairy's health benefits.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options

At least that made sense. And it's true. It's true of vegans and it's true of meatheads. It's true about people in general. Facts do very little to move people off their beliefs, whatever those beliefs may be. Of course, some are more open minded and less resistant to change than others.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options

At least that made sense. And it's true. It's true of vegans and it's true of meatheads. It's true about people in general. Facts do very little to move people off their beliefs, whatever those beliefs may be. Of course, some are more open minded and less resistant to change than others.

As a matter of fact, people often become *more* entrenched in their incorrect beliefs when presented with facts which oppose their thinking. There's an interesting article here: http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/articles/2010/07/11/how_facts_backfire/

It's been the subject of a lot of research lately.
  • jim180155
    Options

Nonsense...

Just because words are strung together to form cohesive sentences doesn't mean that something isn't nonsense, you know?

But, as I feel like I am picking on the poster who made this original statement, and I don't mean to, I do want to say that I agree that milk/dairy are not required for life, and one can certainly chose to not consume them if one so wants. I simply think that people can only make informed choices if they have the correct facts.

I don't think you were picking on her. It bugs me when I see the other guys piling on though. It's like a bunch of grade school bullies in here.

Somebody should be able to post an opposing view in here without all the personal crap. If you disagree, say so and say why, but don't attack the person just because she has a different opinion. (Again, not you, Richard. You've approached it strictly from the facts and refuted those. That's the way it should work.)
  • jim180155
    Options

As a matter of fact, people often become *more* entrenched in their incorrect beliefs when presented with facts which oppose their thinking. There's an interesting article here: http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/articles/2010/07/11/how_facts_backfire/

It took me a long time to figure that out, but I have to agree with you 100%.
  • richardheath
    Options

Michael Shermer had a special section in his book "Why People Believe Weird Things" on why SMART people believe weird things... basically they are very good at constructing rationales for themselves on why they believe what they believe (to avoid the cognitive dissonance) and so it becomes even harder to reason them out of it. Throw in a healthy dose of Dunning Kruger and a dollop of confirmation bias and there you go.

ETA: Kruger, not the grocery store.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options

I don't think you were picking on her. It bugs me when I see the other guys piling on though. It's like a bunch of grade school bullies in here.

Somebody should be able to post an opposing view in here without all the personal crap. If you disagree, say so and say why, but don't attack the person just because she has a different opinion. (Again, not you, Richard. You've approached it strictly from the facts and refuted those. That's the way it should work.)

I'm only pointing this out as I'd actually like to read some scientific articles about the unhealthfulness of dairy, but all the actual scientific links provided in this debate are articles that seem to support dairy being a useful and beneficial food source.

Again, you learn best from people you don't agree with, and I would LOVE to read some peer reviewed articles that go against what consensus of that science that I've read has lead me to agree with.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Michael Shermer had a special section in his book "Why People Believe Weird Things" on why SMART people believe weird things... basically they are very good at constructing rationales for themselves on why they believe what they believe (to avoid the cognitive dissonance) and so it becomes even harder to reason them out of it. Throw in a healthy dose of Dunning Kroger and a dollop of confirmation bias and there you go.

Furthermore, a lot of the smart people whom I have met were so very used to being correct that they simply couldn't fathom the idea that they might be mistaken. They're used to being the person who corrects everyone else, including the teacher.