Kicking *kitten* In Our Twenties! - November Challenge

Options

Replies

• tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    :smile: Welcome to the gang Rachel and Jill!!

I second that!! :)
  • tai_88
    tai_88 Posts: 23
    Options
    Hey I'm in for November... I busted my butt last week and made my calorie goals and I gained a pound. Need all the motivation again not to cry... COME ON NOVEMBER!

Kattungen: To lose 5 lbs :)
    kvr413: lose 10 lbs, thanksgiving included, which will put me at 169!
    Meggonkgonk: To reach 157 lbs & to run the first 2 weeks of my 10k running program (mileage13-14 and 15-16)
    Emmyworthy: To reach 199lbs & to swim 3 times a week.
    ksv123: to lose 3 pounds (yes, including Thanksgiving!!), and ramp up my workout routine that I have managed to ignore lately. The workout will include a minimum of 4 days a week of either elliptical or 30 Day Shred.
    GuamGrly (Bethany) - To lose 5 pounds and work out at least 2 times per week.
    meagalayne- To reach 130lbs, complete weeks 2 and 3 of the push-up challenge at my own pace, and run my 8k (Nov 13) under 50 mins :D
    LostAlyKat (Aly) - To lose 3lbs, follow my prescribed food plan, and workout 6 days a week!
    Tjradd73-to lose 9.6lbs, and to continue on with the push-up challenge :)
    allislefttogain: Maintain (120-125 range); no scale until December 1st; 2 days a week with strength/body weight training; run 3-4x a week and run my 10K in 56 minutes or under (be happy with 59:01 or under though!)
    rai8759: loose 3 lbs by Thanksgiving, 5 lbs in total/workout 3x a week 60-90 minutes/5K in 30 min or less/be true to food diary even if i miss a day get right back into it the next day!!
    tai_88: to lose 5 lbs and continue working out at least 4 times a week.
  • wardiemelissa
    wardiemelissa Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I'm new and would love to join....but I'm not in my 20's (although lately I feel like it!!!!!). You all are so inspiring and motivating and I would love to be a part of that!!!!

Meggonkgonk: To reach 157 lbs & to run the first 2 weeks of my 10k running program (mileage13-14 and 15-16)
    ksv123: to lose 3 pounds (yes, including Thanksgiving!!), and ramp up my workout routine that I have managed to ignore lately. The workout will include a minimum of 4 days a week of either elliptical or 30 Day Shred.
    meagalayne- To reach 130lbs, complete weeks 2 and 3 of the push-up challenge at my own pace, and run my 8k (Nov 13) under 50 mins :D
    LostAlyKat (Aly) - To lose 3lbs, follow my prescribed food plan, and workout 6 days a week!
    allislefttogain: Maintain (120-125 range); no scale until December 1st; 2 days a week with strength/body weight training; run 3-4x a week and run my 10K in 56 minutes or under (be happy with 59:01 or under though!)
    rai8759: loose 3 lbs by Thanksgiving, 5 lbs in total/workout 3x a week 60-90 minutes/5K in 30 min or less/be true to food diary even if i miss a day get right back into it the next day!!
    wardiemelissa-my goal is to lose my last 0.5 pounds (taking me to 125 pounds-my wedding weight from 7 years and 2 kids ago), to maintain my weight, continue with my exercise routine (running 3-4 days and strength on off days) and finish my first 10K under 75 minutes on Thanksgiving Day!!!
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Melissa - I suppose we'll allow it! but only because you LOOK like you're in your twenties! :happy: Great goals though and with your speed, I am CERTAIN that you can finish your 10k in under 75 mins. You'll likely best your goal by a long shot... From what I can tell you are a little speed demon! hehe

Tai - Great to have you here :happy: It sure can be frustrating when you feel like you aren't losing anything, but we all have rough weeks (last week for me!) -- Just have to persevere and know that things on the scale will improve. It's a long journey! And so long as you are making progress off the scale (non-scale goals, folks!) you know you are moving in the right direction. Just try to stay motivated and keep your chin up.

So happy to see this thread pick up! :bigsmile: Love the encouragement. And LOVE that so many people are including health + fitness goals alongside their scale goals. It's great to see a more balanced approached from so many people on here! Your hard work won't always show on the scale right away, so it's nice to have other measures of success throughout the month. Keep it up, ladies! :heart:
  • spellbinder25
    spellbinder25 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Welcome Jill, Rachel, tai & wardiemelissa!!

I didn't meet my October goal but I had intentionally aimed higher. And, I'm happy with my loss & the fact that I workout regularly now. I do think I'm over-stressing myself and trying too hard. So, this month I'm going to concentrate on regular exercise rather than weight loss...of course, there has to be some loss :D

wardiemelissa-my goal is to lose my last 0.5 pounds (taking me to 125 pounds-my wedding weight from 7 years and 2 kids ago), to maintain my weight, continue with my exercise routine (running 3-4 days and strength on off days) and finish my first 10K under 75 minutes on Thanksgiving Day!!!
    spellbinder - Reach 146lbs, exercise 5 days a week, do strength training + crunches + squats 3 days a week, ensure that I don't put on any weight during thanksgiving week!!

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE :)
  • SkierElle
    Options
    Ok, I'm already doing the 12 lbs of Xmas challenge but this one looks so fun!! and I'm 21 =)

So here are my goals: 180 by Nov. 30 (188 now)
    Fitness: exercise every day
    Nutrition: I'm not eating any candies, cookies or desserts any day this month except Thanksgiving, I'll have a lil piece of pie.
    That last one will be the hardest!

Good luck everyone! =) Wait no, it will take more than luck to succeed so, I wish you all the greatest motivation!! I'm off to work out!
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Update for SkierElle:

spellbinder - Reach 146lbs, exercise 5 days a week, do strength training + crunches + squats 3 days a week, ensure that I don't put on any weight during thanksgiving week!!
    SkierElle- reach 180lbs/exercise every day/limit sweets and desserts (apart from Thanksgiving)

For anyone joining into the challenge - please copy the list and add your goals to the bottom. Helps to keep everything a little more organized! Thanks :bigsmile:
  • SkierElle
    Options
    Oops sorry about that!! Didn't realize I needed to post it at the bottom.
  • meagalayne
    Options
    No worries, welcome to the challenge!
  • ttaylortulsa
    ttaylortulsa Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    After last week, this is exactly what I need. My school and work schedule changed drastically last week, throwing a big ol' wrench in my spokes. I'm simply going to look at it as a challenge that I can feel awesome about overcoming! I'll need all the support I can get. (Pursuing a Culinary Arts degree is NOT conducive to a weight loss/lifestyle overhaul program!)

I started the C25K program 2 weeks ago, but shelved it last week because my knees couldn't seem to handle the sudden increase in usage/stress, haha. So I'd really like to start up on that again. Also gave the 30 Day Shred a try last week, but not sure how I feel about it yet. I do like that it's only 30 minutes though. Anyone have another circuit training vid that's half an hour that they recommend?

Alrighty, on to the goals. I'm so excited to see everyone's goals and even more excited to be joining the road to success in these goals. November is going to be good!!!

SkierElle- reach 180lbs/exercise every day/limit sweets and desserts (apart from Thanksgiving)
    ttaylortulsa: 8 lbs for month - C25K training 3 days/wk - 30 Day Shred (or equivalent) 2 days/week - YBB vid 1 day/week
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, and welcome to all our newbies!! I love this group so much and am so so excited for the start of a new month. So last month my original goal was to be in the 160's, which I hit (yay!), so mid-month I changed it to being at 165. One day I was at that magic number, though officially I weighed in today at 166.5 for the month. I'm just glad to be past the 168.5 mark which i seemed to be stuck at for the last 2 weeks.:grumble: When I started this whole process back in May, my goal was to be at 160 by the end of the year.. Unless I go totally backwards, I'm pretty sure I'll be past that, which I can't believe! A lot of that success has come from this website and the amazing people on it, and I couldn't be more grateful!
    This month I'm going to make extra effort to drink more water, and just keep up with my exercise. Best of luck to everyone! Looking forward to seeing everyone's progress! :flowerforyou:

ttaylortulsa: 8 lbs for month - C25K training 3 days/wk - 30 Day Shred (or equivalent) 2 days/week - YBB vid 1 day/week
    allie7383: to get into the 150's (6.5 lbs away!), workout 6 days a week, and increase my water intake.
  • emmyworthy
    emmyworthy Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the newbies=]
    Glad to see we've got a great bunch who are all looking to motivate and be motivated!
    So yesterday was the first day of the new month and I am glad to say that I got right back into it and didn't let my little slip up over the weekend bother me=]
    Was slightly under my calories but not too much to be anything to worry about=] and I felt sufficiently full and not bloated like I did when I was eating all the fatty foods over the weekend=]
    Got university all day today and then I'm planning on my 1st swim of the week tonight! Hopefully I manage a good hour long workout!
    Allie- by the sounds of it you will definitely be under 160 by the end of the year so WELL DONE girly=]

Keep updating guys...I love reading how everyone is doing....it keeps me going!!
  • mkingraham
    mkingraham Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I would like to join!! My official weigh-in is on Thursday so I will post a goal then! So excited to have other twenty-somethings for support!
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I'm Jill and I'm new :)
    Wohoo!! :drinker: So good to see you Jill!!
    If anyone needs some running or weigh-loss inspiration, Jill is a great place to look! She is such an all star and an incredibly speedy runner. Love your goals, lady. Can't wait to see you rock that 10k!
    -Meag

Meag, you're making me blush. Ladies, I'm really just a beginner crazy runner. I will give you feedback on running/losing/diet if you ask though:smile:

I started out yesterday on an interesting foot. I'm not logging any food in my diary for the next 2 weeks (maybe more). I've gotten too obsessed with it, and maintenance is very hard...harder than losing in my opinion. So many calories to eat and it's hard to eat them well. I injured my leg/ankle/I don't even know what over the weekend so yesterday I stretched and iced. I was going to do some yoga but my leg couldn't handle it. Today I'm doing No More Trouble Zones and tomorrow I will try to run again. I have a 10K on Sunday and I'm worried I would be able to run it.

Make it a great day everyone!
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    Today was my first weigh-in for the new month. I weighed in at 191.4, which brings me 5.6 lower than last month. I like the consistency of the weight I'm losing, about 1 pound a week (plus a little bit). It makes me less worried that this won't be weight I keep on off, when the loss is consistent like this and not too many pounds per week. I still have a long way to go to get to where I want to be (41 more pounds to lose) but these past months have left me feeling wonderful. I've lost 27 pounds mostly through controlling my diet. I've added some WiiFit in there (though I didn't meet the goal of doing it almost everyday), but for the most part I'm mostly losing weight by making better choices about what goes in my mouth (literally, some days I would eat Jack in the Box for lunch and Burger King for dinner). Having a more consistent life schedule is definitely helping that, but I don't think I'd ever let it get that bad again.

The reason I wasn't able to keep the WiiFit up might just be myself making excuses, but my homework load literally overwhelms me to tears some days and unfortunately is my priority. There are many days where I can't take the half hour to break a sweat because I really have over 100 pages of Supreme Court text to pour over and understand. I honestly don't know if doing the WiiFit is helping the weight loss because I lost the same amount this month as last month, when I wasn't using it. I will say I do feel great after getting my heart racing though and it leaves me really energized. I'm going to keep trying to find time to use it, but given my schedule the daily routine just isn't practical for that.

SO this month I'm going to not worry about that as a main goal, but instead focus on the 2 week challenges I've been giving myself in regards to dinners. Right now I'm making sure to incorporate a veggie with every dinner. I finished day 1 yesterday. I don't know what the 2nd 2 weeks of the month are going to have in store yet.

allie7383: to get into the 150's (6.5 lbs away!), workout 6 days a week, and increase my water intake.
    inskydiamonds: eat vegetables with dinner every night / lose about 5 pounds
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Hi Jill-

I'm glad you decided to join. I think all of us are a little concerned as to how we will eventually handle maintence. Even with it being a ways off, the thought that weightloss might not be maintainable or that I might not be able to figure it out is def discouraging. At least losing weight I know the formula(s) :-). I really look forward to hearing your thoughts and experiences so I can feel more prepared come May/June (when I plan to start my maintenence mode).

Welcome to the other newbies as well- you've found a great place to get support, encouragement and inspiration! (And the occasional kick in the *kitten*, when needed). We all look forward to hearing from you!

Emmy- have an awesome time at swim tonight!

taylortulsa- Meag recommended nerd fitness to me- it's not as intense as 30 day shred I don't think...but it's free. http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/ I do it opposite my running days 2x a week

Insky- Don't worry too much about the exercise- I don't hit every day either. It's great to incorporate when you can, but healthy food choices are the most important thing. I think I will join you in making sure I get a veggie in at every dinner- Last night 3 oz of Spinach gives me day 1 down as well!

To a Great November!

~Meggon (or Gonk if you will)
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options

Insky- Don't worry too much about the exercise- I don't hit every day either. It's great to incorporate when you can, but healthy food choices are the most important thing. I think I will join you in making sure I get a veggie in at every dinner- Last night 3 oz of Spinach gives me day 1 down as well!

~Meggon (or Gonk if you will)

Awesome! I was looking at my food diary and realized I was really lacking on the veggies. The more people that decide to do it, the better!
  • meagalayne
    Options
    This thread has really picked up over-night! Woot :drinker: So many awesome women here!

Welcome to the newbies! It's always great to see fresh faces on the thread!

And welcome back Allie, Emmy, Liz and everyone else!

Allie- You sound like you are making amazing progress! I have no doubt that you'll be making it to the 150s by December at your rate :bigsmile: Way to go! And good luck on working out 6 days a week. I wish I had that kind of commitment. I really struggle to get in more than 30 mins a day most days, especially since I haven't got a gym to utilize. Best of luck!

Jill - Beginner crazy runner or not, you are awesome and you have loads of great advice and experience to share with people just starting out. But yea, you could probably be classified as a Crazy Runner (TM) !! :laugh: I think at this stage, I am well on my way to that designation myself...

Emmy - SO great to see you back and to see that you are fully recharged for the month! I'm glad you didn't let your vacation weekend get you down. We all deserve a treat sometimes and it's almost nice when you come back and think "God, all that eating actually made me feel awful" because it means that you recognize how much better and healthier you feel when you are just working towards fueling your body. It's so much easier to make healthy choices when you know how gross you can feel overeating :smile: Glad to see your goals back up and your smiley face around here again! Love your dedication to swimming as well... I am hoping to maybe take it up for cross-training over the winter. We'll see what happens!

Meggon & Taylor - I do nerdfitness twice a week as well! It's not super intense but I certainly work up a sweat. I add loads of crunches and some other dumb bell work to the basic circuit just to make it a full 30 mins work out, and by the end my legs, abs, back and shoulders are definitely feeling worked out! It's great for a beginner that hasn't got much experience circuit training. Problem is, there is no video, so if you need that for motivation it could be trouble. I usually just do mine watching something on the TV or listening to music. Give it a go!

3 mile run yesterday at a decent pace. Ate some candy, which I wasn't overly happy with, but oh well. Today my boyfriend is coming over to have dinner with the family so I think I'll be making a vegetarian curry of sorts. Hopefully we won't be too tempted by all the ice cream in the freezer. Damn the holiday season! They start selling this amazing Candy Cane and Chocolate Fudge Crackle ice cream around this time of year and it's virtually IMPOSSIBLE to resist. So, so good. Have to exercise so much self-control and moderation when it's around... Doesn't help that it's my boyfriend's favourite as well as my own, and that my parents always stock up on it during the months of Nov and Dec! Must. Be. Strong. Maybe I should add that to my goals...:laugh: I guess maintenance won't be hard come December!

Only other news is that on Sunday my boy and I are leaving for our first trip together. We are going to visit some of my old school friends in Ottawa for 4 days... I'm a little nervous. I feel like this is really going to put a wrench in my weight-loss for the month, especially since I am already going to really struggle to lose the last 5lbs I have to go. On top of that, now that the weather is getting quite cold finding the motivation to run outside is going to be much harder. I know these are all excuses, but realistically I'm a little worried about managing weight-loss this month. I'll have to see how my trip goes. I'll weigh-in Sun before I leave and hopefully by the following Monday I'll have had time to work off any gains I may experience while I am away.

I will probably be fairly absent between Sun and Wed but I will try to check in when I can. My boyfriend knows how addicted I am to these forums so I am sure he won't mind giving up a little time to let me make an appearance :wink: Have a great Tuesday, all!

-Meag:heart:
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Meag-have a great time on your vaca!!! don't forget to get in your water, and try to make the best food choices you can...but don't stress about things and most of all make sure you enjoy it!! :)
  • lostalykat
    lostalykat Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Hey Thread Buds! Today is the second day of the new month and I am already feeling great. I was not able to stick to my plan completely yesterday but today is going strong, and when my nutritionist actually gives me the food plan I will be able to follow it better. I have my meeting with her in Thursday. I plan to hit the gym tonight and hopefully wake up for the 5:30am strength class at the gym. If not then I will either run or gym it in the evening as well that day. It is only 2 weeks away to my half marathon! Ahh so excited/nervous. I have been training somewhat easy this month since it was supposed to be my recovery period between triathlon training. I plan to do the Half Marathon in a walk run format, 9minutes run, 1 minute walk. I started training this way and have found that I love it. Triathlon training starts sunday, so my 6 days a week workouts will be according to the schedule. My jeans don't feel as tight today and I am feeling good about these positive changes. It is really hard because I do feel like I don't feel amazing all the time even with these adjustments. I know these things take time, and I look forward to not having chronic headaches. I am in it for the long haul! My Weigh in is Friday as usual and I am having high hopes! Have a great day everyone!