Kicking *kitten* In Our Twenties! - November Challenge

Options

Replies

• meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    9:1 intervals sounds like a great plan, Aly! I should try this for my longer runs after my 8k next weekend... I am hoping to increase my distance eventually to a half marathon if I can, so that could definitely be a good way to get started! Thanks! Sounds like you are getting right back on track :happy:

And thanks Tara - It would be impossible for me to have a bad time on vacation! I'm going to try to be as health-conscious as possible while I am away, and stick to my running schedule in the mornings. If I go over on my cals, oh well. It's only 4 days. I can hopefully make up for it when I get back... As long as the ice cream is out of the house by then! hehe
    -Meag
  • mcanals123
    Options
    hi everyone i would like to join in november i plan on dropping down to 165 and breaking my plato :)
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Just bringing this forward and adding Mcanals to the list

Kattungen: To lose 5 lbs :)
    kvr413: lose 10 lbs, thanksgiving included, which will put me at 169!
    Meggonkgonk: To reach 157 lbs & to run the first 2 weeks of my 10k running program (mileage13-14 and 15-16)
    Emmyworthy: To reach 199lbs & to swim 3 times a week.
    ksv123: to lose 3 pounds (yes, including Thanksgiving!!), and ramp up my workout routine that I have managed to ignore lately. The workout will include a minimum of 4 days a week of either elliptical or 30 Day Shred.
    GuamGrly (Bethany) - To lose 5 pounds and work out at least 2 times per week.
    meagalayne- To reach 130lbs, complete weeks 2 and 3 of the push-up challenge at my own pace, and run my 8k (Nov 13) under 50 mins :D
    LostAlyKat (Aly) - To lose 3lbs, follow my prescribed food plan, and workout 6 days a week!
    Tjradd73-to lose 9.6lbs, and to continue on with the push-up challenge :)
    allislefttogain: Maintain (120-125 range); no scale until December 1st; 2 days a week with strength/body weight training; run 3-4x a week and run my 10K in 56 minutes or under (be happy with 59:01 or under though!)
    rai8759: loose 3 lbs by Thanksgiving, 5 lbs in total/workout 3x a week 60-90 minutes/5K in 30 min or less/be true to food diary even if i miss a day get right back into it the next day!!
    tai_88: to lose 5 lbs and continue working out at least 4 times a week.
    wardiemelissa-my goal is to lose my last 0.5 pounds (taking me to 125 pounds-my wedding weight from 7 years and 2 kids ago), to maintain my weight, continue with my exercise routine (running 3-4 days and strength on off days) and finish my first 10K under 75 minutes on Thanksgiving Day!!!
    spellbinder - Reach 146lbs, exercise 5 days a week, do strength training + crunches + squats 3 days a week, ensure that I don't put on any weight during thanksgiving week!!
    SkierElle- reach 180lbs/exercise every day/limit sweets and desserts (apart from Thanksgiving)
    ttaylortulsa: 8 lbs for month - C25K training 3 days/wk - 30 Day Shred (or equivalent) 2 days/week - YBB vid 1 day/week
    allie7383: to get into the 150's (6.5 lbs away!), workout 6 days a week, and increase my water intake.
    inskydiamonds: eat vegetables with dinner every night / lose about 5 pounds
    mcanals123: To drop down to 165 and break my plateau :-)
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Gonk - Thanks! I'll try and help you the best I can when you get there. Hopefully I'll have it figured out by then. I'm toying with the idea of getting down a bit lower but I'm not sure. Trying to focus on health/fitness first...weight after.

Meag - I think you're well on your way to being a CRAZY RUNNER (TM) too. I wasn't at all, and then BAM! I was. Madness. All I wanted to do was run some 5ks and an occasional 10K and then I went and signed up for a 1/2 marathon?!?! And seriously considering a full in 2011. WHO AM I? :noway: Have fun on your mini-vacation. Try not to worry about gaining any...really there is NO rush to get to maintenance, trust me:smile:

Aly, wow! 1/2 marathon and triathlon! Awesome! I've been thinking about getting in to see a nutritionist, let us know how it goes!

I found a great article in October's Runner's World that I've been using 1x a week for strength training. I can't find it online, but if any of you get it - it's called "Coming Back Strong" and there were some challenging exercises in there.

Icing my leg (in 4 different spots) for the 4th time today - open a filing drawer in my desk and rest my leg on it. Not ideal and my leg goes numb, but it's somewhat elevated, right? My boss didn't even bat an eye...almost time to go home and see if my body can handle a workout :huh:
  • finncmh
    finncmh Posts: 290
    Options
    Saw meggonkgonk post about how awesome this thread is so I figured I would check it out. Seems like a GREAT group. Just joined MFP a few weeks ago. Glad I found this!!!!! Hope I copied this right... :)
    Meggonkgonk: To reach 157 lbs & to run the first 2 weeks of my 10k running program (mileage13-14 and 15-16)
    ksv123: to lose 3 pounds (yes, including Thanksgiving!!), and ramp up my workout routine that I have managed to ignore lately. The workout will include a minimum of 4 days a week of either elliptical or 30 Day Shred.
    meagalayne- To reach 130lbs, complete weeks 2 and 3 of the push-up challenge at my own pace, and run my 8k (Nov 13) under 50 mins :D
    LostAlyKat (Aly) - To lose 3lbs, follow my prescribed food plan, and workout 6 days a week!
    allislefttogain: Maintain (120-125 range); no scale until December 1st; 2 days a week with strength/body weight training; run 3-4x a week and run my 10K in 56 minutes or under (be happy with 59:01 or under though!)
    rai8759: loose 3 lbs by Thanksgiving, 5 lbs in total/workout 3x a week 60-90 minutes/5K in 30 min or less/be true to food diary even if i miss a day get right back into it the next day!!
    wardiemelissa-my goal is to lose my last 0.5 pounds (taking me to 125 pounds-my wedding weight from 7 years and 2 kids ago), to maintain my weight, continue with my exercise routine (running 3-4 days and strength on off days) and finish my first 10K under 75 minutes on Thanksgiving Day!!!
    spellbinder - Reach 146lbs, exercise 5 days a week, do strength training + crunches + squats 3 days a week, ensure that I don't put on any weight during thanksgiving week!!
    SkierElle- reach 180lbs/exercise every day/limit sweets and desserts (apart from Thanksgiving)
    ttaylortulsa: 8 lbs for month - C25K training 3 days/wk - 30 Day Shred (or equivalent) 2 days/week - YBB vid 1 day/week
    allie7383: to get into the 150's (6.5 lbs away!), workout 6 days a week, and increase my water intake.
    finncmh: Lose 1 pound a week- bringing me to 198 by end of the month. Full body lifting routine two days a week. Get to spinning class at least two times a week.
  • lostalykat
    lostalykat Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    allislefttogain- Have you tried alternating ice and heat? It seemed to help a lot when I was dealing with knee pain. I also twisted my foot right before a race, I bought one of those soft cloth ankle braces and I was still able to run pretty good. I would suggest trying one of those as well.

Thanks for all the support everyone, I am not counting right now because my nutritionist has advised against it, and since I am eating mainly veggies it doesn't feel like a problem. Lets all hope for the best!
  • jdeganis
    Options
    My friend from work told me about this site and I was obsessed for 2 weeks and then I became so busy and lost track and so for the month of November and on I want to remain focused! and try to be under my calorie goal daily. Its hard for me to work out because I work very early in the morning (5am) until about 10ish and then all I want to do is come home and eat, sleep and then repeat. I am always fluctuating between 160 and 165 and I want to lose 20 lbs, I have to, I'm in my early 20s. I think it's realistic. I workout when I can and was always an athlete in high school and college any suggestions to help me out?!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Hi jdeganis:

Welcome to our group! We are always glad to have some new peeps- and a lot of us are in your start/goal range. I am at 162 right now and aiming for the low to mid 130's.

I would say the best way to start here is with a couple of attainable goals for November-

Just copy the list below, and add yourself and your goal for November at the bottom. We encourage multiple goals and esp that you include something not dependant on the scale. ie- My goals include reaching a certain level with my running. Choose which ever day of the week as your weigh in/check in day and give us an update!

Good luck!

finncmh: Lose 1 pound a week- bringing me to 198 by end of the month. Full body lifting routine two days a week. Get to spinning class at least two times a week.
  • GuamGrly
    GuamGrly Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Ugh...my month has already gotten off to a rough start....more emotionally than anything but my emotions tend to lead me to eat. I am trying my hardest not to resort to my old ways because it will just make me feel horrible and will be throwing my hard work away.
  • miss_amy
    miss_amy Posts: 351
    Options
    so i didn't make my goal for october and kind of fell off the wagon this weekend. i only lost 3.8lbs last month and while a loss is a loss, i struggled most of the month with a plateau. i think that really hindered my motivation to continue and while i really picked up with working out and eating extra good for the last two weeks of october, i still didn't see a loss and in turn, sulked about it over drinks and bad food decisions this weekend. i'm really upset with myself but i'm trying not to focus on it. while a 3.8lb loss is still a loss, it wasn't as much as the past few months so i guess it was hard to grasp after working hard all month and it got to me. BUT! i am sooooo excited it is a new month. i am determined to move past a bad month and have a GREAT month! my birthday is december 4th so reaching a 25lb loss by then for my 25th birthday would be great! i also am going to set a goal of working out 5x a week and make sure i eat more protein and fiber, as it seemed i was always under in those areas last month.

good luck everyone!

miss_amy: lose a total of 25lbs, work out 5x a week & eat more fiber & protein. -5.6lbs to go!
  • emmyworthy
    emmyworthy Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Meag- Have an awesome trip with the boy=] I know you'll do so much better at staying in control than I did!!! And even if you do have a few bad days everyone deserves a treat now and then, just like you said=] So don't beat yourself up if you have a few too many calories....how often do you see old friends?? You don't want to be obsessing over calories and exercise when you should just be catching up with them=]

Guamgirly- You are so right that emotions rule the way we eat....but just think how much worse you'll feel if you eat because your feeling sad. It's just a vicious circle that you can get out of by venting your emotions on here instead of reaching into the biscuit tin!!! We're all here to listen to your problems so that you don't have to eat them way!

Amy- Don't worry about falling off the wagon!!! You sound like you are totally ready to work past them and make sure you are rocking a new body for your birthday=] 5 times a week workouts sounds insaaaane girly....you are a machine!!

Well I said I was gonna go swimming tonight but I didn't manage to make it to the pool! I had a long day at University and then had to meet with the editor of the student newspaper which I write for and that just went on for ages....So I went straight home and had a healthy dinner (Quorn fillet, asparagus and carrots!YUUUUUMMY) instead! I'm planning on going tomorrow night now instead....after I finish work.

Keep kicking *kitten* everyone=]

xxxxxxx
  • GuamGrly
    Options
    Thanks for the support Emmy!!

I need to let go of things out of my control and just deal with what I can handle. Luckily, all of the snacks at my desk are all a little healthier and I am also not interested in eating right now. Tuesdays are usually my nights to work out but I still need to vote today and I didn't bring my stuff so I am thinking about going for a run later on tonight...and I am NOT a runner. But I think that would be a great way to get my frustrations out and also burn some calories. I hope that it all works out.
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Ugh...my month has already gotten off to a rough start....more emotionally than anything but my emotions tend to lead me to eat. I am trying my hardest not to resort to my old ways because it will just make me feel horrible and will be throwing my hard work away.

GuamGrly-sounds like you need to find a new "habit" to resort to when you are stressed or upset!! Maybe you could try a new workout class, cross stich, or even simple things like chewing gum or a stress ball? whatever you decide...just hang in there, things always get better and eating is never the reason that they do :) stay strong!
  • purpleprose
    Options
    I hope it's okay that a newcomer joins! My name is Allison and I'm just past 1/4 of the way to my final goal! I just need some extra accountability and some focused goals for this month in order to get through the holiday in one (hopefully smaller) piece!

miss_amy: lose a total of 25lbs, work out 5x a week & eat more fiber & protein. -5.6lbs to go!
    purpleprose: lose 5 pounds from 10/29 weight, run the whole 5K on Thanksgiving (no walking), and to eat organic, whole foods at least 60% of the time.
  • oreganoqueen
    Options
    Hello from another newbie. I have to do sensible things like buying bathroom scales but I think my main goal this month is to try to go the gym at least once a week (it doesn't sound like much but this is a new thing and new places are horribly intimidating, so until I'm more used to the atmosphere I think I'll start slowly with it). I also need to focus on eating more protein and less carbs and to eat at least one good source of protein in 2/3 meals - if anyone knows any good vegetarian recipes for this then please pass them on. :P

purpleprose: lose 5 pounds from 10/29 weight, run the whole 5K on Thanksgiving (no walking), and to eat organic, whole foods at least 60% of the time
    oreganoqueen: brave the gym at least once a week & eat more protein
  • tai_88
    tai_88 Posts: 23
    Options
    Hello from another newbie. I have to do sensible things like buying bathroom scales but I think my main goal this month is to try to go the gym at least once a week (it doesn't sound like much but this is a new thing and new places are horribly intimidating, so until I'm more used to the atmosphere I think I'll start slowly with it). I also need to focus on eating more protein and less carbs and to eat at least one good source of protein in 2/3 meals

oregano- that's great that you are deciding to go to the gym... it doesn't matter how much you go- some people go everyday and don't get anything out of it! I am in complete understanding about the carbs... i wish there was a potato/bread/pasta diet... i have no found one. When I started to change my eating habits I really tried to make a conscious effort to think about what I was gaining rather than what I was giving up. Apparently I love asparagus:love: ... who knew?!?!?

Well I've decided that I'm not going to do another weigh in for 2 weeks. My negative loss last week was most disheartening and I figure I'm feeling good about myself so I don't want to be the one to bring myself down. Week three of my new job and I am proud to have broken my Starbucks addiction and controlled my emotional eating...

Good job everyone... two days down.... :smile:
  • ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    I was in the October challenge I believe but only lost 3lbs that month. I am in again for this one! Good luck to everyone. We can dooo this!

purpleprose: lose 5 pounds from 10/29 weight, run the whole 5K on Thanksgiving (no walking), and to eat organic, whole foods at least 60% of the time
    coatadaycarrie: finally get down to 145, and to work out at least 5x a week for at least half an hour each time.
  • GuamGrly
    Options
    Greetings newbies!! We welcome you with open arms and open ears!!

Carrie - congratulations on the nuptials!!

Everyone has established great goals for this month and I have no doubt that we will all get there.

Happy Losing!!:bigsmile:
  • LaurnWhit
    LaurnWhit Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Well I lost my 10 pds! Yay! I weigh 190. I would like to lose 8 pounds for Nov. My birthday (30th!) is this month and Thanksgiving so we will see. I am excited for a new month!

purpleprose: lose 5 pounds from 10/29 weight, run the whole 5K on Thanksgiving (no walking), and to eat organic, whole foods at least 60% of the time.
    lauratx22-lose 8 pds! starting weight 190
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Wow! A few hours away from the threads and I have so much to catch up on!

Welcome to all the newbies and all those returning from the Oct challenge as well. So good to see you, and your goals!

Here's an update with everyone (I hope)

coatadaycarrie: finally get down to 145, and to work out at least 5x a week for at least half an hour each time.
    lauratx22-lose 8 pds! starting weight 190

Oregano- Protein on a veg diet is really a struggle - I tried to eat mostly veg until recently, and since I am trying to gain lean muscle and eat way more protein, it's just impossible. I am opting for protein powder (which I should be getting Thurs, have been waiting for 2 weeks now...) and loads of tofu, legumes, and dairy. It's not ideal and can often be quite high in sodium and fat, but it's the best you can do, really. Instead of limiting your carbs, just make sure you are getting the BEST carbs possible. Always try to get whole grains in, and try complex and more complete grains like quinoa, whole wheat couscous and oatmeal. These are much easier for your body to digest and use as fuel, and quinoa especially is full of awesome amino acids and protein. Just experiment with what you can and try to make the best of it.

Good luck to all the newbs and returning Team Oct, alike!
    -Meag :heart: