Fat people ambassador

Options

Replies

• Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I hear where you're coming from. I do. But I want to submit to you, for your consideration, this:

What if I told you that a lot/many of the "skinny" people you see also have thyroid and other hormone issues, also battle depression, also have injuries that limit them. Knowing that they fight the same emotional battle as you every day, would you see them differently?

Interdasting isn't it?

It's a common narrative. I was fat because I got injured, I got sick, I had a thyroid problem, I was depressed, I was anxious, I lost a loved one, I was dealing with stuff nobody understands, etc, etc, etc.

As if all thinner people are just coasting around life dealing with nothing. No, some people deal with those difficulties...they just don't consistently eat above their TDEE while doing so.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    In for kitten giffs
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    From the OP I dont agree that being a Fat People Ambassador is ideal for you.

I feel that you have a much higher calling.
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    tumblr_ljzm5vkQhA1qixleeo1_500.gif
  • kuroi19
    kuroi19 Posts: 45
    Options
    You have my support, Ambassador ;)
    I wish I could see all these born skinny smart *kitten* if they had my metabolism. Half of them would be beyond morbidly obese, no disability needed. I envy the genes but they have no right to say anything.
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I've got to be honest here.

I think everyone sort of gets a raw deal - regardless of body type (fat people, thin people, in between people). People just get judged by the way they look ALL THE TIME. For every issue that a fat person has to deal with (and hey, I deal with them, as a fat person), a skinny person has to deal with too.

Here's some stereotypes for you:
    As a fat girl, I'm lazy and unhealthy, while my thin friends must have eating disorders and are exercise nazis.
    As a fat girl, I use my humor to succeed, while my thin friends just use their bodies. None of us has any brains.
    As a fat girl, I must hate my body, while my thin friends must love theirs. Never mind that everyone has some insecurities.

I could go on and on, but there's no point really. We judge people by the way they look, whether they're fat or thin. There's just as much skinny prejudice as there is fat prejudice. I think a real body acceptance movement would encompass all sizes, and encourage people to look past what they see on the outside.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I wish I could see all these born skinny smart *kitten* if they had my metabolism. Half of them would be beyond morbidly obese, no disability needed. I envy the genes but they have no right to say anything.

Fat or thin is not genetic.
  • Valrotha
    Valrotha Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    First off, OP, I'm sorry for your pain. There's a lot of hurt feelings behind your comments. I know how badly people can make you feel for not looking good.

Having said that, I think you may be addressing these concerns and complaints to the wrong community. For the most part, people aren't here because they've been skinny all their lives and have no weight issues. Seriously...what's the point of tracking calories, looking for support from others, and trying to find leaner and healthier recipes, if they're already thin and have never had weight issues?!?

There doesn't need to be a 'fat people ambassador' as though they're from a different country or something. If they really are the same, as you say, 'they' don't need an ambassador.

And, although you are right that there are some medical issues which cause weight issues, for the overwhelming majority of us (me included), it's simply been poor diet choices. These 'poor choices' are so thoroughly pervasive that it's no wonder we have as many obese people as we have in this country. Our collective diet is ****. There's so much crap put in our food that isn't necessary that one almost has to shop at a health food store just to get normal food anymore.

I celebrate your success and wish you continued progress towards your weight loss goals, but we're not the enemy. And, I agree with one of the people above me who said, "I dont agree that being a Fat People Ambassador is ideal for you. I feel that you have a much higher calling."
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options

Unless a medical condition it is a choice!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Fighting perceived stereotypes with anger and stereotypes?
    Right out of Victimology 101.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I've got to be honest here.

I think everyone sort of gets a raw deal - regardless of body type (fat people, thin people, in between people). People just get judged by the way they look ALL THE TIME. For every issue that a fat person has to deal with (and hey, I deal with them, as a fat person), a skinny person has to deal with too.

Here's some stereotypes for you:
    As a fat girl, I'm lazy and unhealthy, while my thin friends must have eating disorders and are exercise nazis.
    As a fat girl, I use my humor to succeed, while my thin friends just use their bodies. None of us has any brains.
    As a fat girl, I must hate my body, while my thin friends must love theirs. Never mind that everyone has some insecurities.

I could go on and on, but there's no point really. We judge people by the way they look, whether they're fat or thin. There's just as much skinny prejudice as there is fat prejudice. I think a real body acceptance movement would encompass all sizes, and encourage people to look past what they see on the outside.

Very much this.

OP, you're not helping. you're assuming that anyone who is thin has been magically gifted to be so and that all problems of life just pass them by. it's not true. we're all ppl. we all struggle.

you have no idea what demons someone is fighting. so just... be nicer.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lnks9gkykk1qiw26m.gif
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Granted certain medical conditions and medications can make losing and maintaining harder, but it doesn't make it impossible. So it's still a choice.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Fighting perceived stereotypes with anger and stereotypes?
    Right out of Victimology 101.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • emilyisbonkers
    emilyisbonkers Posts: 373 Member
    Options

+1
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    genes have nothing to do with it. Also unless you have some metabolic disorder or a history of eating disorders your metabolism will be in normal bounds . Too many people play the metabolism card when it's just an excuse. I've made excuses in the past and the way I lost weight was I stopped with the excuses and got control of my food and activity.

These mythical people who can eat all they want and not exercise are that just a myth like a unicorn
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Just like people may not know your history, you don't know theirs either. I'm a "skinny" now and a lot of people assume I have always been. That's just not the case. There are plenty of skinny people who also deal with depression or medical conditions, or who feel judged for the way they look. Everyone has struggles, and you'll never know the struggles of the vast majority of people you meet. Making assumptions based on a skinny person's body is every bit as bad as having them make assumptions about you based on yours.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    In because this thread is going places. I might be too sensitive, but I think I can feel it.