Fat people ambassador

Options

Replies

• MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Ambassadors generally have some knowledge of social graces

And take a stand when debatable arguments are put forward.

am·bas·sa·dor
    noun
    1. an accredited diplomat sent by a country as its official representative to a foreign country.
    2. a person who acts as a representative or promoter of a specified activity.
    synonyms: campaigner, representative, promoter, champion, supporter, backer, booster

dip·lo·mat
    1.an official representing a country abroad.
    2.a person who can deal with people in a sensitive and effective way.

I understand your pain, it's evident in your writing, and pain is often the greatest when it is expressed in anger.
    If you want to be a fat people ambassador, you are going to have to find a way to be that in "a sensitive and effective way"

The way you came out, with guns blazing and words firing at all "skinny people" everywhere was neither.

if anything, maybe you're an activist.

I am thin, I have never been obese - and I have never claimed to know what "fat people" go through.
    All I can do is share what my life looks like right now, and hope that others - regardless of their size / shape / gender - can pick out what may work for them.

I have a high degree of empathy for ALL people... being an overtall lady who was mocked throughout adolescence for her height, intelligence, et cetera. I was called "sasquastch" "fat" "ugly" "stupid" by many of my peers and grew to believe that. As a result, I have a huge issue with seeing myself as I am, and feel like a fat girl trapped in a body I often don't recognize. I have struggled for 25 years with fighting those demons.

Dear OP, skinny people have scars too. Many of them are internal - so you cannot see what you are dealing with, right up front. And as an ambassador to fat people, you'd do well to try and develop some empathy for the people you are attempting to bring together.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    "I have no idea. People who boast about their IQ are losers."

-Stephen Hawking, on his IQ
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    You mean you would like people to judge you on the content of your character rather than the way you look and not make false assumptions based on appearances?

How dare you!!!

I'm judging OP solely on the entirety of my interaction with her which is this one post.
  • jet32
    jet32 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Good job in losing 50lbs! Im glad to know that it is possible with PCOS and insulin resistance, I was just diagnosed with the same thing myself and have noticed that losing weight has been a little bit easier now that I am on medication so I hope I can keep it up!
  • pdank311
    pdank311 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Fighting perceived stereotypes with anger and stereotypes?
    Right out of Victimology 101.

:drinker:

Gonzo fist bump
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    umad.gif
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    In for the lulz!
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Tagging for the butthurtz
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Right, okay...have a rant of my own on this one.

If we are discussing things we dislike one thing I dislike is excuses. If anything, ANYTHING, is going to sabatoge your attempt at weight loss (which you clearly are attempting) it is excuses. To me this just read as a list of why being overweight is somehow not your fault. No, it is your fault and trying to externalize blame does you no favors.

Let us go through these points then fat people ambassador

1. I saw an advert for a weight loss product. There was an outline of a skinny person filled with veggies and an outline of a fat person filled with hamburgers and fries etc. NEWS FLASH***** Not all people are fat because they eat to much. There are hormone problems etc. etc etc. And those who DO eat too much, might not know that they are OR have emotional issues to deal with that other people no nothing about! Ads like these are degrading, uninformed and miss-leading.

For all people on the planet there is a number of calories at which they maintain their weight. If they go over that they gain weight, if they go under they lose weight. That maintenance number can vary quite a lot throughout the population and it is every individuals responsibility to determine their own maintenance level. This is true regardless of hormonal, medical or emotional issues. If you gain weight it is because you are eating above your bodies maintenance level and continue to do so for long stretches of time despite evidence (in the form of weight gain) that you are eating above maintenance.
    2. Skinny people whom have never had a weight issue, should stop pretending to know what us fatties go through on a daily basis PLUS.... Why do skinny people think that fat people are stupid. NEWS FLASH***** I have an IQ of 126 - which is above average. Yes, I am an under-archiever because of some emotional stuff AND weight stopping me from doing what I really am capable of. The fat did not cover my brain though and it did not make me stupid. Guilty skinnies, wake up!

There is intelligence and there is wisdom. Intelligence is the ability to collect knowledge and wisdom is the ability to use that knowledge in a practical manner. I don't personally put much stock in IQ but if you are intelligent fine, time to apply it though. I don't say that because you are fat, I say that because of what you posted here.
    3. I HATE the pittiful glances I sometimes get from people. NEWS FLASH**** I am overweight, not disabled. I have many disabled people in my life, including my mom. We are all people.... Able-bodied, disabled, skinny, fat. IT DOES NOT DEFINE YOU!!!!!!

Disability is any condition that limits your ability to do things. In the bullet point above this one you said "weight stopping me from doing what I really am capable of". This is pretty much the definition of disability is it not? So yeah, being overweight is a disability. So why don't overweight people get sympathy for their disability? It is because it is a disability that is within their power to change (as clearly evidenced by your 50 pound weight loss). I have a lot of sympathy for someone who is paralyzed from the waist down and confined to a wheelchair. My sympathy for that person would be diminished a great deal if they could "fix" their paralysis by something as simple as eating less but yet have not done so despite clearly being depressed and negatively affected by their lack of mobility. To be frank it would make me think they were being a bit lazy yeah.
    4. I recently read a VERY disturbing article by KAI that was on Biggest Loser. I always knew it was a crap show, but I am amazed that the trainers are that mean and causing contestants to dehydrate and excersie through injuries. I thought that Jillian Michaels, that used to be fat, would actually be more understanding of what fat people are going though... (She was not on the show when KAI was a contestant, but sure she followed in BOB's footsteps.) - I apologize for this comment if Jillian turns out to be the saint and saviour of fat people on Biggest Loser.

Don't really have a comment about this, it is a reality TV show. Complaining about this would be like complaining about how socially mistreated people were on MTVs Real World. These people were not prisoners, they signed on for this and they stayed there of their own free will. Are you claiming otherwise?
    I am dedicating my time - from now on - to destroy myths abouth fat people. I have a mirror, thanks... I know what I look like. I have PCOS and Insulin Resistance and I have already managed to lose 50+ pounds. I am smart. I am funny (sarcastic). I know my current weight is unhealty and I am busy losing it.

You know your weight is unhealthy, you have demonstrated that you are capable of losing it by having lost 50+ pounds. Reverting to excuses about how it is the fault of this or that condition or your emotional needs or whatever is not going to help you in any way. Conditions like PCOS or insulin resistance or hyper- hypothyroid can skew your maintenance level away from the population average...but you still HAVE a maintenance level and it is your body and therefore your responsibility to determine what that is.

The fact that if you and you alone are responsible for determining your caloric maintenance level and eating and exercising in such a way as to maintain a healthy weight is in NO WAY changed by whatever conditions you may have. It is still your responsibility and if you are visibly obese you are broadcasting to the world that it is a responsibility that you have failed at.

I know that that is harsh but that is the reality. Now you sound like you have summoned the will to work towards a healthier stronger version of yourself and I applaud you for that and wish you the best. But lets not sugar coat things or make excuses, you are overweight...you would be better off not being overweight...the only person responsible for that and capable of changing is you and you alone.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    You mean you would like people to judge you on the content of your character rather than the way you look and not make false assumptions based on appearances?

How dare you!!!

I'm judging OP solely on the entirety of my interaction with her which is this one post.

Proceed.
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I am wholly disappointed in the lack of gifs in response to this post. With only one per page on the first few pages I almost read the responses. Needs more lulz.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    I am wholly disappointed in the lack of gifs in response to this post. With only one per page on the first few pages I almost read the responses. Needs more lulz.

giphy.gif
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

True true.

I think these two sort of go with the OP's theme:

dollhouse_im-just-a-series-of-excuses.gif

post-18141-Wednesday-Adams-Ill-be-the-vic-81j7.gif
  • PikaKnight
    Options

giphy.gif

2uWuSUr_zps24e9f352.gif
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

a1et5do.png
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options

giphy.gif

2uWuSUr_zps24e9f352.gif

I can't see your gif at work because they blocked it. (table flip)

giphy.gif
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I have decided to become a self-proclaimed 'Fat People Ambassador'.

Yep. Lots of good will going on.

I'm hoping you'll be back soon to support your original post. This has been loads of fun.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

giphy.gif

2uWuSUr_zps24e9f352.gif

I can't see your gif at work because they blocked it. (table flip)

giphy.gif

Oh. Well, here is another cat gif for you..hopefully you'll be able to see this one

Ill-Tell-You-When-I-Had-Enough-Bro.gif
  • ossentia
    ossentia Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I think you've probably been hurt many times, and I understand your anger. Problem is, your excuses are not going to help you lose the weight. Your anger is not going to help change the minds of people who are too stupid or too cruel to realize how bad they can hurt people. This isn't about fat vs. skinny. It's about you being unhappy with who you are and projecting that feeling onto others. Some of these responses are harsh, but all of them offer great advice. Start worrying about yourself and forget about the people that hurt you.
  • TutuMom41
    TutuMom41 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I actually feel sorry for people who think like the OP. Complete lack of self accountability, Narrow mindedness, Making excuses, Perpetuating stereotypes ect....

My path to a better life started with my desire to change (I am sure most other peoples did too) I know if I started with bitterness and excuses I would have been doomed to fail.