Fat people ambassador

Options

Replies

• srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    You don't need to advocate for me, I can do that on my own.

I am not the victim you are making me out to be.

You are perpetuating the problem.

Stop it.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    You have my support, Ambassador ;)
    I wish I could see all these born skinny smart *kitten* if they had my metabolism. Half of them would be beyond morbidly obese, no disability needed. I envy the genes but they have no right to say anything.

Fat or thin is not genetic.

Unless a medical condition it is a choice!

What medical conditions force a person to consume above their TDEE?

And what percentage of the overweight to obese are inflicted with said conditions that force them to consume above their TDEE?

Prader-Wili would probably be the closest - you always feel like you're starving so it would be incredibly difficult not to over eat.

Another possibility for quasi-genetically obese (at least in appearance) would be something like massive abdominal tumors. Of course, that isn't fat.

The onset of a disease that lowers your metabolism can cause you to overeat simply because you don't realize you have a problem and need to reduce your intake to compensate. Obviously once you figure it out, you can correct for it.

Other than that ... can't think of anything.

% of general population with these issues? Who knows. Might not even be over 1%.
  • LucasEVille
    LucasEVille Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    There are a few, and someone with PCOS will have a very difficult time losing without changing lifestyle to increase activity significantly which without that otherwise the needed severe dieting often results in nutritional and hunger issues.

My partner has PCOS (diagnosed officially not a google search) and an underactive thyroid (again diagnosed and managed by medication) and shes lost weight just as easily as me using MFP and working from her BMR adding her lifestyle and exercise kcals alongside a normal healthy diet. Its easier for me to lose weight obviously but she sticks with the plan day in day out and reaps the rewards, i'm proud of her :)
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Ditch the excuses and stop looking at as fat vs skinny, as if that's the only two things a person can be.

This.

Also:
    I'm just gonna say this.

The worst thing you can do when trying to lose weight is be hyper-sensitive about things. You're gonna get comments you hate. You're gonna read things you don't like. You're going to hate other people and yourself on a regular basis.

If you get fired up about something, good, you're supposed to. But ranting is a waste of energy. Save it for the gym.

^^That.

I don't need a freaking ambassador. I don't need someone to hold my hand and I don't need someone to motivate me. I am my own person, I was the hand that fed me and now I'm the one undoing my mistakes.

If someone wants to associate my body with their negative thoughts, so be it. It has no bearing on my life.

The best day of my weight loss happened when I started to talk clinically about my weight. Not "oh my god I'm so fat" or "ugh she has it easier!". Those words were replaced with things like "lifting weights helps retain LBM" and "eating at a 500 calorie deficit should produce a one pound loss each week". Notice the difference. One is full of feelings and placing my self worth on being fat. The other approaches the problem in a way that fixes it without needing to be self harming.

Fat doesn't make me who I am. I am FIXING it. And if someone can't understand that, I don't need them in my life anyway.

You're my 'hero of the day'...I love this! I feel your freakin' power in your words!
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I have decided to become a self-proclaimed 'Fat People Ambassador'. The reason? Some things just frikkin gets to me. I might be a little sensitive, but here follows my explanation...

1. I saw an advert for a weight loss product. There was an outline of a skinny person filled with veggies and an outline of a fat person filled with hamburgers and fries etc. NEWS FLASH***** Not all people are fat because they eat to much. There are hormone problems etc. etc etc. And those who DO eat too much, might not know that they are OR have emotional issues to deal with that other people no nothing about! Ads like these are degrading, uninformed and miss-leading.

2. Skinny people whom have never had a weight issue, should stop pretending to know what us fatties go through on a daily basis PLUS.... Why do skinny people think that fat people are stupid. NEWS FLASH***** I have an IQ of 126 - which is above average. Yes, I am an under-archiever because of some emotional stuff AND weight stopping me from doing what I really am capable of. The fat did not cover my brain though and it did not make me stupid. Guilty skinnies, wake up!

3. I HATE the pittiful glances I sometimes get from people. NEWS FLASH**** I am overweight, not disabled. I have many disabled people in my life, including my mom. We are all people.... Able-bodied, disabled, skinny, fat. IT DOES NOT DEFINE YOU!!!!!!

4. I recently read a VERY disturbing article by KAI that was on Biggest Loser. I always knew it was a crap show, but I am amazed that the trainers are that mean and causing contestants to dehydrate and excersie through injuries. I thought that Jillian Michaels, that used to be fat, would actually be more understanding of what fat people are going though... (She was not on the show when KAI was a contestant, but sure she followed in BOB's footsteps.) - I apologize for this comment if Jillian turns out to be the saint and saviour of fat people on Biggest Loser.

I am dedicating my time - from now on - to destroy myths abouth fat people. I have a mirror, thanks... I know what I look like. I have PCOS and Insulin Resistance and I have already managed to lose 50+ pounds. I am smart. I am funny (sarcastic). I know my current weight is unhealty and I am busy losing it.

Fat People do not need an ambassador. I know its frustrating, People can be judgmental, and Fat discrimination is one of the only acceptable discrimination left. The simple truth is that it is up to the individual to make changes in their lives to become more healthy and it is possible under most circumstances. NO excuses. I have multiple Sclerosis. I have had it 22 years. Exercise is a challenge. I have to force myself to do the things I want to do never mind the harder things. I gained weight having my kids (in my 30's) I took the weight off. I am now over 40. I suffer from fatigue, pain and One of the most difficult challenge is I have to take Prednisone. (look it up it causes weight gain) I have to take 1000 MG IV over 15 minutes. Some times I take it in pill form. I have so many of the challenges I hear people using as excuses. Fat people do not need to be vied as victims. They don't need spokes people (who do exist and are most often a person struggling themselves) People with emotional problems need help and need t find a different coping mechanism. People need to feel empowered. Know that if you want it bad enough you will get there. If I can do it any one can.

Says the woman who has walked through all the above difficulties and still managed to shed over 200 pounds, and has maintained that loss long term!

applause-gif-tumblr-47_original.gif
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    I wish I could see all these born skinny smart *kitten* if they had my metabolism. Half of them would be beyond morbidly obese, no disability needed. I envy the genes but they have no right to say anything.

Fat or thin is not genetic.

Unless a medical condition it is a choice!

What medical conditions force a person to consume above their TDEE?

And what percentage of the overweight to obese are inflicted with said conditions that force them to consume above their TDEE?

What I meant was - you might be skinny, fat or obese either because of a medical condition or else by choice -

But there is no medical condition that forces you to consume above your TDEE.

There are medical conditions that affect your metabolism, thus lowering your TDEE.

You chose to either approach those changes one of two ways:

A. Consume less calories to accommodate your lowered TDEE due to metabolic slow down.
    B. Eat exact the same way you did prior to to the onset of your medical issue, and gain.

Some people who run into conditions like PCOS, for example, do not gain weight. They adjust their eating accordingly. But the majority of people who gain weight due to a medical condition do so because they usually don't realize that their body requires less calories, and thus they continue to eat as "normal". Then they gain weight and are eventually diagnosed. The problem is that it seems totally unfair that they'll have to work harder to maintain their previous weight, and instead they just eat above their new TDEE and say "the disease made me fat".

The disease didn't make you fat. The disease put you in a position where it became easier for you to make yourself fat.

Good point, Never considered it from that perspective - some new to read tonight!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    In......this will be fun. :happy:
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Please don't be my ambassador- I do that on my own. I really don't like to play the victim card, I've found that it just makes me less eager to change the bad things about me.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Here's your sword and your torch... off you go..
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    h92639028
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    Let me be honest and tell you a bit about myself, I started my journey in November 2012....

I was fat - 321lb at the beginning of this journey

I was lazy - sat at the laptop all day and worked sitting down all evening

I was depressed - I hated what I saw in the mirror

I spouted the exact same lines as you've just typed, only I'd say it to anyone crazy enough to listen to me, I didn't just type it on a website (this is not to criticize what you've done)

I turned to food because it was always there for me (I live a 2 minute walk away from a large Morrisons store) - I was a stereotypical fatty, I didn't exercise because I hated the idea of thin people watching me sweat, puff and pant at the gym.

Today 18th July 2014....

I am thinner than I've ever been (as an adult) - 165lb

I spend too much time at the gym (according to my family) - I go 6 days a week, and sometimes more than once a day

I'm nicknamed the Duracell Bunny - because I'm always on the go, always happy and am always looking for something to do

I find it extremely patronising when people spout on about how fatties get a raw deal - there are NHS Weight Management programs for us fatties - they are free and if you want to join one, go see a doctor, they are free too (here in the UK) - what have the skinnies got to help them.... not all skinnies are skinny because they are happy, healthy and energetic, a friend of mine died of Anorexia about 10 years ago (everyone thought she was happy and just small framed, no she was killing herself)

I turn to exercise to make me feel better and it usually does, food used to make me full, feel sick and then feel hatred for getting fatter and fatter.

Fatties and skinnies all have their own issues - now I weigh almost half of my starting weight I have developed issues, I now have lower back and hip problems and I take daily medication, I never had to do that when I was 321lb: I now have baggy skin on my torso, arms, legs and chin; my butt (which was the only slim part of my body) is none existant - I have to sit on a cushion all the time.

Basically being fat has ruined my body and now I am trying to get slim and right some of the wrongs I did to myself - please don't turn your weight loss journey into a fight against Them & Us - make it about you, concentrate on getting yourself where you want to be.... We're all fighting a fight, we just have different motivations and different destinations.

By worrying about your journey and doing something about your weight you are proving that fatties don't need sympathy or help, you are proving that you don't envy skinnies and you are proving you have over come whatever made you put on weight in the first place....

Now that is a worthy cause in my former fatty point of view xXx

tumblr_ml87q0tkrp1re3x32o1_.gif
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    2dhz3ts.jpg
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    lol...

So which of us are "born skinny" people?

Can you tell?

200.gif
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Ambassadors generally have some knowledge of social graces
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Fighting perceived stereotypes with anger and stereotypes?
    Right out of Victimology 101.

Saved me from typing.

You will never represent me.

Agreed. I am not "naturally" skinny and have my own struggles. I ditched the excuses, accepted personal accountability and lost weight. I will count on myself without the aid of an ambassador. And picking on "naturally skinny" people is doing the same thing you accuse them of doing to you. Just sayin'
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    No thanks.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

You keep telling yourself that. Any excuse will do for failure. On the other hand, success takes hard work and personal responsibility, as well as the mindset to weather difficulty and setbacks. It's your path and your life.
  • mateo57505
    mateo57505 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    To the OP

Build a bridge and GET OVER IT!!!!

Worry about yourself and your life, and goals, I don't think Fat people are looking for an ambassador, president or dictator.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Ambassadors generally have some knowledge of social graces

And take a stand when debatable arguments are put forward.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Not all fat people eat too much? lol

This thread is going to go to some amazing places.