I prefer not get weight loss comments

Options
12345679»

Replies

• Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I get really "antsy" when anyone comments on how I relate to the entire Maslow's hierarchy of needs.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

OP, lots of people feel the way you do. They aren't offended or angry, it's just uncomfortable for them to discuss their bodies. Just give a thanks and divert the conversation to something you are more comfortable talking about. :flowerforyou:
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    This is what gives feminists a bad name. So much so I refuse to even call myself one now. Someone gives you a compliment and you are suddenly a victim. :noway: I thought feminists were strong and independent. I thought feminists were badass biches, not someone who cries over a compliment!

This thread is BSC. I will graciously accept any and all compliments, whether it be about my hair, body or personality. I will even say "thank you"... *gasp*
    Last night a girlfriend's FIANCE said to me, "You look like you've slimmed down." I was so insulted. It came out of nowhere and I was not asking for his approval or his gaze. No thank you! I do not care about your objectifying thoughts on my body changes!

My punchline is - when my good girlfriends tell me I look good and healthy and glowing or strong/fit, I appreciate that. But when a MAN I don't know very well tells me I've "slimmed down", I get pissed. My body does not exist for his appraisal or approval! And I did not invite such a comment so I really was annoyed. I didn't want to say anything to anyone because I didn't want to start a drama, but you know how it is. Unfortunately the male gaze exists and we just have to deal with it, through all our weight fluctuations.

Your arms are amazing :flowerforyou:
    But I'm a girl so I'm allowed to say that...
  • kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I brought this thread up today at lunch for discussion. I was at a table with 8 other teachers, all women of varying ages, shapes and sizes. Everyone unanimously agreed that compliments on weight loss are not only welcome, but encouraging. One of my colleagues even stated that she finds it disheartening when she loses and no one notices. I was just happy that I'm not alone in my opinions, I love compliments and am proud of my achievements. I say, hold your head up high and say "thanks!" and don't read negativity into it!
  • kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    That is a great idea. I know of a couple others at work that are losing weight and didn't want to say "Hey you look lost weight!" in case it came out as "Hey! You're less fat." I'll compliment the new clothes they get as they lose weight and hope they do the same for me.

Well, then you are implying that their old clothes are ugly and frumpy. It's a no win situation. I'll just continue to give compliments when I feel like it!
  • JVClubs
    JVClubs Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I know allot of people dig it but I prefer not get them.I don't get upset when I get them but I would rather they keep that to themselves.I use my old clothes to see if i am making progress and before and after picture so thats enough for me.Just like if I were to gain weight, I woudnt want comments on that either. Anyone feels the same?

ppl have been saying last few months i look way thinner but i dont notice the difference so i agree
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    What a ridiculous politically correct world we are living in now. You can compliment, you can't criticize, everything offends everyone. We might as well act like robots. Everyone is so damn sensitive.

I agree with this.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    One or two spaces after a period.

One space. Definitely one space. Always one space. That is all.

Don't make me fix your double spaces.

~ Proofreader