The Randoms - January 2011

Options

Replies

• 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    QOTD: Who has been the most supportive of the changes in your life? Has there been anyone who has not been supportive?

Hmmm... in general everyone has been supportive. My friends have really understood the changes I've made and they don't grumble when I tell them I don't want pizza for lunch, can we find a sandwich/salad place. When I see ones I haven't seen in a while, they're so excited for me, it's awesome. My family is the same way, they are really excited about the changes. My uncle has been good with exercise and healthy eating advice. My mom and dad haven't really made the effort yet, my mom at least bought a recumbent bike for Christmas for themselves, hopefully that helps them to make some healthy changes.

I'd say the most supportive is everyone on MFP! You guys really understand this whole thing better than anyone else that I know in person. I definitely don't think I would have gotten this far this quickly without everyone's support and thoughtful advice. Its one of the reasons I never mind answering the question "how did you do it?" because I wouldn't have had much success if other people didn't answer that question when I asked in the beginning.

As for my boyfriend, since we've only been dating for 3 months, he's supportive and he doesn't mind when I nudge him to do some healthy things himself. I swear, one day I will succeed in getting him to use his gym membership! (he's never gone... lol). But in general, when I'm with him I don't want to think about dieting and exercise, I just want to enjoy myself. So usually our dates are my cheat meals... haha. And having a boyfriend results in exercise too... teeeheeeee
  • just4peachy
    just4peachy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    QOTD: Who has been the most supportive of the changes in your life? Has there been anyone who has not been supportive?

Supportive: I've been very fortunate in that some of my MFP friends are my real life friends. You are all right there with me every step of the weigh (Oh do I crack me up!)
    My boyfriend has been a lot better than I expected. He doesn't handle change well so dinner is a struggle sometimes but he's really encouraging with my running.
    My son is great! He'll attempt to eat anything I put in front of him and he :love: racing me, jumping jacks, up & down bleachers, etc.
    One of the owners of my company, he emails me every Monday morning to ask what my running schedule is for the week.
    My boyfriend's sister, a great gym companion!

Not so supportive: The idiot at the wine store that keeps selling me bottles, he's not very supportive. He's pretty much the only one though. :grumble:

Gosh, I guess I need to start sending out some thank you cards!
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options

Most people have been supportive--some more than others. I got made fun of occasionally, but nothing to get terribly upset about.
  • msamcoates
    msamcoates Posts: 261 Member
    Options

Most people have been supportive--some more than others. I got made fun of occasionally, but nothing to get terribly upset about.

Ditto .... I often get made fun of as well but I let it roll of my shoulders.
  • Ding724
    Ding724 Posts: 791 Member
    Options

Supportive: My husband, my parents & MFP!!! When I decided to change my lifestyle, my husband was behind me 100%. I don't think that he really understood all that it would entail [changing eating habits, a gym membership, workout dvds, etc] but he said he just wanted me to be happy! He goes to the gym with me at least 5 days per week & has recently started P90X because he says I'm making him look bad :laugh: My parents were inspired by my weightloss & have recently tried to start losing weight as well! It's really encouraging when my dad gives me weekly updates & says that he's so proud of me!!! :blushing: FINALLY --> MFP is amazing & I couldn't have come this far without all of you wonderful people & my friends supporting me. I feel like it is truly a priceless tool!!!

Unsupportive: A few of my friends [not all of them!] for awhile seemed really against me losing weight for whatever reason...but now we just don't talk about it unless one of them bring it up...kinda strange, but I don't let it get me down anymore. I just move forward & focus on all the supportive people that are in my life!
  • bionicdiver
    bionicdiver Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    QOTD: If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go? & of course...WHY???

I would go to Truk (Chuuk) Lagoon in Micronesia. Being a scuba diver who loves ship wrecks, this is the mecca of ship wreck diving. Hope to spend 7-10 days of doing nothing but diving...for me, that is heaven.
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options

Funny, when I asked this question I was excited to hear your answers. Now I feel all emotional answering it myself. :o)

My husband is amazing. He is my best friend and my biggest support. Random example. Watching Biggest Loser and the trainer said to one of the contestants "You have so much heart." Floyd turns to me and says "Tara, you have the biggest heart I know. Infact, you have two hearts." I said "Huh?" (Very poetic of me right?) He replies "You have mine too." :love:

My mom is seriously, wowsa.....so awesome! I love her desperately. I think she thinks I could take over the world. My whole life she has practically told me that! She has supported me since I was young and wanted to try diets...which may not have been the best but at least I understood healthy eating from a young age.

MFP. Seriously. There were days that I didn't know why I was doing what I was doing. I would sign on here and instantly be slammed with support and inspiration. It was amazing. It still is. I love it! I want to support this website forever! I recommend it to everyone! I love it! And not only in my weight loss. Emotionally, mentally and spiritually! I love you guys!

As far as not supportive? lol...I've had my share of naysayers. In fact, even post weight loss I've had un-supportive people. But I don't care. I don't give people who can't support me or people who want to be anything but positive a second glance. Heck, a first glance! Its not worth my time. Bettering myself has shown me that I'm worth it and I'm worth being treated with respect. :o)
  • SarcasticManiac
    Options
    QOTD: Biggest supporters would have to be all you Randoms here on MFP, hands down! You guys are the best! My family comes in second, mainly because I spend most of my time away at school. Can't say I have any detractors, guess I'm lucky that way. :happy:
  • mandijo
    mandijo Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I guess I should mention too that I don't talk about trying to lose weight. Part of that is because I have a huge fear of failure. If I fail at this, no one knew I was doing it in the first place. Big problem, I know. But they can see that I'm doing things- taking zumba classes, going to the gym, but I've never told anyone why I'm doing this. I think I'd have some support if I did. :)
  • TaraMaria
    Options
    I guess I should mention too that I don't talk about trying to lose weight. Part of that is because I have a huge fear of failure. If I fail at this, no one knew I was doing it in the first place. Big problem, I know. But they can see that I'm doing things- taking zumba classes, going to the gym, but I've never told anyone why I'm doing this. I think I'd have some support if I did. :)

Ya know...during the first 6 months, I didn't talk about it much at all. My husband knew, my mom knew. I didn't broadcast it either. I completely understand where you are coming from. I'm the type of person where I used to never make goals because I didn't want to be disappointed if I didn't make them. I finally realized that my fear of failure was keeping me from enjoying success! If I don't meet a goal because of being sick or something else, big deal! I tried! I will try again! I will keep going!

Personally, its your journey. Share with who you want to share with. I shared with my husband and my mom because they were close family. It was almost more fun to not tell people what I was doing and then kind of just show up thinner and thinner! :o) If they asked I said I was just getting healthy! :o)
  • Ding724
    Ding724 Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I met one of my January goals today...

I BUSTED INTO THE 160s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...Just barely, coming in at 169.8, but I am SO happy because now I am officially at a healthy weight with a BMI of 24.9:happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: HAVE A MARVELOUS DAY YOU RANDOM PEOPLE!!!!!!!!1
  • TaraMaria
    Options
    I met one of my January goals today...

I BUSTED INTO THE 160s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...Just barely, coming in at 169.8, but I am SO happy because now I am officially at a healthy weight with a BMI of 24.9:happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: HAVE A MARVELOUS DAY YOU RANDOM PEOPLE!!!!!!!!1

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
    I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!! WOOT!!!! GO MANDIE!!!!!
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • maeadair
    maeadair Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    DING... That is AWESOME, congrats!:happy:
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I also met my January goal today! Under 150 for a fabulous weight of 149.8 lbs! Yay for the Randoms!!!! My next January goal is going to be to hit a weight loss of one lb per week for the rest of the month. That will get me to around 147 by the end of the month. I'd love to see 145 by Valentine's Day, but I don't want to push things since I just got the scale moving again!
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I think I am going to set a new January goal to get below 160 and stay there. I am currently at 162 but I am heading on vacation on sunday to sunday so I might get to 160 by sunday but go back up while on vacation. I hope I don't since I know I am going to be with someone that is very mindful of what they eat since they have already lost over 150lbs. There won't be peer presure to eat bad but I do not limit myself as much as she does also but I will try to be a happy medium between her and the other girl.
  • mandijo
    Options
    Mandie- I'M DOING THE HAPPY DANCE FOR YOU!!!! WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOO! I knew you could do it :)

Ruth- At least you are going with someone who is mindful! It will probably help you be accountable!!!
  • mandijo
    Options
    It's so QUIET in here today!!!!
  • SarcasticManiac
    Options
    It's so QUIET in here today!!!!

*crickets chirping*
  • SarcasticManiac
    Options
    QOTD: If you could pick ONE (1) food that you could eat to your heart's content without gaining any calories from whatsoever, what would it be and why?

For me, I'm a sucker for German chocolate cake. So delicious. If that were 0 calories? PARADISE