Slow cooker recipes with low calories

Options
Hey please tell me you fav slower cooker recipes.

Replies

• aprillawson
    Options
    Applesauce Chicken

--4 frozen chicken breast halves or thighs (I used 2 of each)
    --1 1/2 cups of applesauce
    --1 T dried onion flakes, or 1 yellow onion, chopped finely
    --1 T apple cider vinegar
    --1/4 tsp cinnamon
    --1/2 tsp black pepper
    --1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional, I used them, and added more to the adult servings)

The Directions.

A 3 or 4 quart crockpot is the best size for this, but I did use a 6 quart. If your pot cooks faster on the lower end of cooking time.

Put the frozen chicken pieces into your crockpot. Add the onion (if you are using the dried onion, wait and add it to the applesauce). In a bowl, mix the applesauce, vinegar, and spices together. Pour on top of the chicken.

Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours, or on high for 3-4.

~Pineapple Chicken~

--enough chicken for 4
    --20 oz can of pineapple chunks
    --1/4 cup soy sauce (Tamari wheat free or La Choy are gluten free)
    --1 t red pepper flakes

The Directions.

put the chicken into the crockpot. I used frozen breast tenders. Drain the pineapple, and add the chunks with the soy sauce and the red pepper flakes.

cook on low for 4-6 hours, or on high for 3-4.

The cooking time will depend on how thick your pieces of chicken are, and if they are frozen or not.
  • sandmart2009
    sandmart2009 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    This sounds good!
  • ColemanM
    Options
    I have a great 24 page pamphlet of great recipes and tips when it comes to using your slow cooker that I received from my nutritionist a year or so ago. What is really nice about it, is she has included the nutrition facts for the recipes so you know how many servings there are and the contents of each serving!

If you would like me to send it to you, just give me an email address and I would gladly forward it.

Here is my latest favorite crockpot dessert:

Apple Sauce

Core peell ( I suppose you don't have to if you don't mind the peel) and slice a variety of apples (you can use whatever kinds you like I personally use about 5 different types in mine) - enough apples to fill the crockpot that you are using

Throw in some lemon juice and cinnamon/all spice/apple pie seasoning/nutmeg whatever you prefer

Turn that bad boy on and let her go on high for a few hours or low for a few more until the apples are as soft as you prefer them to be, I let mine go til they are mush, but some others I know prefer a more chunky apple sauce so they don't let it go as long.

If you don't want to add lemon juice a little bit of water can be added if you like instead

I use some sweet and some sour apples and I find that this combo requires NO added sugar and is plenty sweet (more golden delicious apples yum) :)

ENJOY
  • Katybun3
    Katybun3 Posts: 172
    Options
    This sounds yummy. Thanks for sharing :0)
  • Dhargis
    Options
    Marquita/ Lemon Chicken

I put boneless skinless chicken into my crock pot with about 1/4 Cup regular margarita mix, sprinkle it with lemon pepper seasoning to taste, let it cook till done. Good way to use up leftover mix, but you can use lemon juice if you want for a different flavor. To do this on the bar-b-que I add about 2 Tablespoons of well shaken Italian dressing, put all the ingredients into a ziplock baggie to marinate for at least 1 hour, then grill....one of my family favorites when served with spinach salad.
  • KitKatHartigan
    Options
    I'm trying the pineapple chicken recipe from above tonight for dinner. I was totally in the mood to order Chinese...then I found that recipe, so I'm making some jasmine rice and steamed broccoli....not exactly the same, but WAY less calories!

I'll let you know what I think of it after I eat it later :-) Thanks for posting the recipes!!!!

*kat*
  • momma_nany
    Options
    I would love to have those receipts so please send me them also. to momma_nany@yahoo.com Thank you
  • maryupton
    Options
    Hi
    I would really like to have a copy of your recipes. Could you please send them to john.upton@xtra.co.nz. Many thanks :happy:
  • Chele615
    Chele615 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    That pineapple chicken recipe sounds wicked good!!! I will definitely have to try it out :)
  • jimcla56
    jimcla56 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i would like a copy. jamesbennett75@yahoo.com
    thanks
  • MOOOSEEE3
    MOOOSEEE3 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I would like a copy too - da_decarli@myfairpoint.net
  • anikkim0915
    anikkim0915 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Please send it my way:) anikkim0915@gmail.com
  • clohessy
    clohessy Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I would love a copy. Thanks so much for sharing. email ranger005@hotmail.com
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I would like a copy of your slow cooker pamphlet please. kbanzhaf@nebnet.net

Also, my favorite crockpot recipe is Chicken Enchiladas. It is as follows:

Crockpot Chicken Enchildas

4-6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
    8 oz cream cheese
    2 cans enchilda sauce, red or green
    tortilla shells
    shredded cheddar cheese

Place chicken breasts in crockpot, and smother with one can of enchilda sauce and the cream cheese (I just leave it in a block and dump the enchilda sauce on top). Cook on low all day. When ready to prepare meal, stir the chicken well....it will just fall into pieces, and the cheese and enchilda sauce get mixed together. It kind of looks disgusting, but I promise it tastes good.

Spread chicken mixture down the center of softshell tortillas, and roll up. Place seam side down in a 9 x 13 inch casserole pan. You can fit six enchildas in the pan. Pour second can of enchilda sauce on top and cover with shredded cheddar cheese. Bake at 325-350° until heated through, approximately 30 minutes. If you make these ahead of time, you will need to bake longer.

Serve with lettuce, more shredded cheese, sour cream, black olives, etc. to your taste.

The leftover chicken mixture makes great chicken tacos, and this recipe freezes well. You can use low-fat or non-fat cream cheese and whole grain tortillas to make it healthier.
  • jmconway83
    Options
    I would also love to have that recipe book for the slow cooker. rougherlady83@hotmail.com Thank you in advance
  • aunienue
    aunienue Posts: 416
    Options
    yum
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options

Put the frozen chicken pieces into your crockpot.

The cooking time will depend on how thick your pieces of chicken are, and if they are frozen or not.

I thought you weren't supposed to put frozen meat into a crock pot? I believe I read that both on MFP and on my Crock Pot instructions. I receive the largest ss Crock Pot brand one for Christmas and I defrosted 2 breasts in advance and cooked on low for 8.5 hours so then frozen would be like 15+ hours would it not?
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    If you would like me to send it to you, just give me an email address and I would gladly forward it.

Thank you for sharing. I can be reached at heathersmilez@hotmail.com
  • kdavis4434
    kdavis4434 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try this one. Mexican Chicken

Put four chicken breast in the crock pot
    Add a jar of Salsa (choose your favorite heat level) I like mild
    Cook for several hours until the chicken falls apart
    Scoop out one serving and mix in 1 Teaspoon of light sour cream - it makes a kind of creamy sauce
    poor over 1 cup of brown rice

Yummy, quick and and fills my mexican food urge!
    Kathy
  • angarnold
    Options
    i WOULD LOVE TO HAVE A COPY OF YOUR RECIPES, PLEASE SEND TO ANGARNOLD@LIVE.COM

THANK YOU!
    ANGIE