Pregnancy 2011 - March

Options

Replies

• ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    Rachel - Congratulations on your girl!

Brittony and Dragonfly – I love the new pics

Heather – good luck at your appointment today, I’ll be thinking of you.

I let my stupid neighbor get me so upset last night. She’s one of the few people outside of family that knows I’m pregnant. I was telling her that my morning sickness was pretty bad for a few weeks but the past couple days have been good, so I’m hoping that I’m over the worst of it. She tells that she read in a book (she’s never been pregnant) that if morning sickness stops suddenly before the first trimester is over that means the baby stopped growing. Are you kidding me?????? What would possess someone to say that to a pregnant woman? Especially since I’m already worried about my baby being ok. I cried for over an hour until my husband was finally able to clam me down. I’m still upset, but I’ll feel a lot better after my ultrasound tomorrow morning.

HOw stupid, I had mine tell me about a friend who had a still born at 39 weeks. Why do people tell pregnant women that kind of crap. I wouldn't talk to her anymore about it and stop her in her tracks when she brings it up.
  • ckmama
    Options

This is exactly what is going on with my co-workers wife. She is pregnant with her first and is due March 4th. Yesterday in the office they mentioned that she is in the hospital and they started pitocin (sp?). I asked if her water broke, or if she was having contractions cause I was confused as to why they were inducing her already. I guess she went to the hospital because she was having mild pains and felt funny, but was only dilated to 3 when she got there.

So she has been in the bed for the last 24 hours, they broke her water this morning and started another round of pitocin, and now she is dilated to 4.

What the hell? I am still perplexed as to why they even kept her... :huh: I have a feeling they are gonna get tired of things going so slowly (because she's not really ready....) and they are gonna send her for an unnecessary C-section.

The above scenario is the EXACT opposite of what I want to go through.

Yes this is the cascade of interventions. The hospital often now "keeps" women, even if they are not in active labor. It used to be, when I was expecting my first few, they did not admit women until clear, active labor and dilated to 4. If contraxs are not strong at 4 they would send you walking. Now procedure is often bed, EFM, pit and/or breaking waters. I read about it all the time and the typical scenario on ICAN, International Cesarean Awareness Network and moms saddened, angry about an unnecessary c/s.

Even the baby shows on TV show these types of interventions on women that could have waited longer. I didn't go into labor like most women, but annabelle is right, wait as long as you can tolerate it and is safe.
  • ckmama
    Options
    wow I posted like a gazillion times.

I can't sleep, I have heartburn for some reason, and the 4 little toes on my right foot are numb from swelling.

Let the lashing begin...sodium intake for the past 3 days

Sunday 3000 mg
    Monday 4000 mg
    Today 5500 mg

My husband asked if I was trying to compete with myself:laugh: Ok not a laughing matter. Tomorrow I"m aiming fro around 1500-2000 mg and nothing more to see if it helps.:huh:

Sounds like something my husband would say. I bet my sodium is way up there too. Lately I have been sabatoging myself with pop and all kinds of sweet things. It is nuts and out of control. It is weird, ever since I cannot exercise I am eating much worse. I told myself I wouldn't drink a pop today but I think I am going to go grab a Sprite.

Completely agree with you on the education bit. You make a very good point. I am glad to have my college education (and the experience) in my back pocket.

That's funny since I can't exercise I've been eating more. I think the production of hormones in the brain from exercise helps me keep my eating under control.

I did some mall walking with my grandmother this morning, only 1.5 miles, had 2 potty breaks though:laugh:

The weather is beautiful here, warm and springy, I would love to walk the 4 mile lake but for some reason they haven't put toilets except on 1 side of the lake. So you have to pee before you leave and hold it till you get back around...I don't think I'd make it:laugh: :laugh: I've frozen my gym membership till the end of may to give myself time to recoup after surgery and I haven't been able to go much in February so I figured I wouldn't go in March either.

Maybe today will be a better food day for us both.
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options

The weather is beautiful here, warm and springy, I would love to walk the 4 mile lake but for some reason they haven't put toilets except on 1 side of the lake. So you have to pee before you leave and hold it till you get back around...I don't think I'd make it:laugh: :laugh: I've frozen my gym membership till the end of may to give myself time to recoup after surgery and I haven't been able to go much in February so I figured I wouldn't go in March either.

It has been lovely here too. I walk about two miles. I am starting to worry about not being able to make it through w/o a potty break. I can pee in the woods, but not easy in pants. I cannot wait until it is warm enough for dresses and skirts. I have 17 dresses to wear, LOL. Then I can bring a cup and pee in it in the woods, LOL.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options

It has been lovely here too. I walk about two miles. I am starting to worry about not being able to make it through w/o a potty break. I can pee in the woods, but not easy in pants. I cannot wait until it is warm enough for dresses and skirts. I have 17 dresses to wear, LOL. Then I can bring a cup and pee in it in the woods, LOL.

:laugh: I sometimes walk 2 miles on my lunch break at work and the last time I did, I nearly had to stop & find somewhere to pee in the woods where people couldn't see me from the parking lot since I was about 1/4 of a mile from the nearest bathroom. :laugh:
  • dragonfly74
    dragonfly74 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    He actually gives you a "red circle" around your weight if he thinks you have gained too much.

I'm pretty sure I would cry if my doctor did that. I think you look amazing!

Thank you very much!
  • dragonfly74
    dragonfly74 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    He actually gives you a "red circle" around your weight if he thinks you have gained too much.

Wah, that's a little uncalled for :huh:

Isn't that crazy? I have never heard of another doctor focusing as much as he does on weight. At my last appointment I told him how much I had been exercising and he said "well, if you burn off 500 calories and sit down to a big bowl of spaghetti you are defeating the purpose. Do as I say, not as I do." He has told me over and over to stay away from the carbs because of all the red circles I have gotten lately. I think this week he will have to give me a double red circle :blushing:

That's crazy - because looking at your photo you are not anywhere near overweight for a pregnant lady!!!!

Thank you. For a long time I was naive and thought a lot of doctors were strict with weight gain. Over the years I have found that mine is just way over the top.
  • _mglo_
    _mglo_ Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    ooh I want to join.. I just had a son 4.5 months ago, and gained waaay too much weight with him and DH and I are ttc again
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    This may be weird sounding but as a first time Mom I enjoy hearing your labor and delivery stories. I was with my sister her whole labor and delivery and she stayed home as long as possible. When she went in she was dilated 7 cm. We played cards and walked around for 3 more hours. She was 8 cm when they broke her water. It was at that point she started to be in so much paing (4 more hours). She did not use medication. I am going to try to resist having my water broken by the hospital. Thank you for sharing your stories, it really helps me to think about what I should do.

Ron- Stupid lady. Ignore that.

Heather- I hope your dr. apt. went well!

mglo- Welcome

My dr. has only mentioned anything about weight last time because I was still loosing. I KNOW I will be up in a week and a half when I go though. I have been eating so much. She said that she would except a big gain this month so not to worry too much. I would be upset if they mentioned it too much (like a red circle) but I do want them to pay attention to it.

I wish I could donate to locks of love but my hair doesn't grow nicely when it gets too long.

So the last two days my very sensitive high schoolers have told me many times that I am getting bigger and look pregnant now... ha some say it just like that... others say it nice (aww you have a baby bump now its so cute)... either way, I think I am starting to show.
  • jalyner
    jalyner Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I let my stupid neighbor get me so upset last night. She’s one of the few people outside of family that knows I’m pregnant. I was telling her that my morning sickness was pretty bad for a few weeks but the past couple days have been good, so I’m hoping that I’m over the worst of it. She tells that she read in a book (she’s never been pregnant) that if morning sickness stops suddenly before the first trimester is over that means the baby stopped growing. Are you kidding me?????? What would possess someone to say that to a pregnant woman? Especially since I’m already worried about my baby being ok. I cried for over an hour until my husband was finally able to clam me down. I’m still upset, but I’ll feel a lot better after my ultrasound tomorrow morning.

Seriously?! Diarrhea of the mouth a bit! I'm so sorry you had to endure a conversation like that. I hope you know everyone's different and the fact that this woman has NEVER been pregnant, she should really keep her mouth SHUT :angry:

I agree 100%. I'd cry too. That's BEYOND rude.
  • LittleSpy
    Options
    Booo, I just had lunch & now baby's going bonkers. I would swear she's doing somersaults. She's totally going to wear herself out & be snoozing (and boring) during our ultrasound today. Bad baby! :tongue:
  • ckmama
    Options
    :laugh:

That is funny. I'm all neighborhood here, so unless someone wouldn' t mind me peeing on their tree, I just circle the block. I figure I can make it back before I wet my pants.
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options
    This may be weird sounding but as a first time Mom I enjoy hearing your labor and delivery stories. I was with my sister her whole labor and delivery and she stayed home as long as possible. When she went in she was dilated 7 cm. We played cards and walked around for 3 more hours. She was 8 cm when they broke her water. It was at that point she started to be in so much paing (4 more hours). She did not use medication. I am going to try to resist having my water broken by the hospital. Thank you for sharing your stories, it really helps me to think about what I should do.

Breaking your water is unnecessary. It usually intensifies the contraxs for you *and* for your baby. It sometimes speeds up labor by a bit, but the trade off sucks. It can also lock a baby into a less desirable position.
  • pmaria10
    pmaria10 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Wow! So much to catch up on!!
    I can't remember who posted about the neighbor
    but that's just completely dumb esp since she hasn't
    been PG herself. Some ppl just say the dumbest things
    I had a co-worker who had been out for quite awhile and
    he doesn't know i'm PG but all he said to me was wow you're
    gaining weight!! I'm sorry but you just don't say that to a woman
    period. I gave him a glare and ignored him. I wish i could say
    that it didn't upset me but it did esp cause it was the day after
    my appt and i learned that i had gained 6lbs in a month :( and
    the stretch marks def had me feeling down. I still get a little
    sad about it but i'm trying my best to eat better and exercise more.
  • jalyner
    Options

I agree! Thank you for the stories. I want this to be as positive an experience as possible, and you ladies are giving some great advice. When delivery gets closer, I'll have to re-read these things to reassure myself. Thanks!
  • jalyner
    Options
    Today is my first-ever OB appointment. Well, it started out as a yearly exam that I'd set up months ago, but since then, Tah-Dah..baby on the way.
    I've read that it's routine to have a pap when you're first pregnant, but is there really anything else they'll do today since I"m only 6 weeks along? What can I expect?
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options
    Yesterday I went to the feed store w/ dh. The wife of the owner, who does not know me, asked when I was due. I replied June, she said, "You are huge. Maybe it is twins." I said, no feels like one, I already have twins. She the asked what baby is this, I said 11. That shut her up, LOL. I am used to it now, but still surprises me when people comment. Ummm, don't you think I already know that. I live in my body
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    Today is my first-ever OB appointment. Well, it started out as a yearly exam that I'd set up months ago, but since then, Tah-Dah..baby on the way.
    I've read that it's routine to have a pap when you're first pregnant, but is there really anything else they'll do today since I"m only 6 weeks along? What can I expect?

At my 6 week apt they didn't do a pap or physical exam because I had just had one 2 months earlier. They talked about things I should/should not do and I asked some questions. They took my blood to run some tests and I had an US.
  • cuppycake22
    cuppycake22 Posts: 224
    Options
    We are lucking out in our situation...My BF's parents live 9 houses down from us and his mom doesn't work so after my year of Matt leave is up she will be taking care of our boy for FREE! BUT I have suggest to the man that we put him in a daycare for possibly 2 days out of the week so that he is around other kids and not getting to attached to the grandma/babysitter idea...I want our Grandma's to be Grandma's to him and not babysitters! What I would really want is to be a stay at home mom but doesn' t look like that will happen when we have baby
    Wow! So many posts today! I am going to have to read them carefully later today!

SO. I am starting to stress about daycare. Anyone else doing daycare? I know that a lot of you are SAHM's. I choose my career to be a teacher to be able to work but also have extra time home with the LO. I asked around at work for day care centers and almost everyone who uses daycare uses the same place! and they LOVE it. I just called. WITH THE TEACHER DISCOUNT... 170 per week. uhg. I called another... 194. The good thing is the one the teachers use doesn't charge you during teacher vacations.

What do you guys think about day cares vs nannys? I am leaning towards day care so the child is with more than one person plus they get to play with other kids... I have a fear that a nanny with treat the child poorly and I wouldn't know. Is that crazy?

My husband is a real estate agent and he works so much on weekends he is thinking about taking a day or two off during the week (until 3 pm when I get home). That might help with some money.

stressful!

I’ll be doing daycare, we have no choice. My husband and I bring home the same amount to the penny each paycheck, so we can’t survive without my income. I’m going to use the same daycare that my cousins’ kids go to. (Everyone in my family has used this daycare) It’s an at home daycare right down the street from my office and l like that my baby will be with family all day. Plus she hasn’t changed her prices since she opened and I can’t beat $60 a week!
  • LittleSpy
    Options
    For anyone who likes a deal, Walmart.com has Dr. Seuss books for 40+% off with free shipping to home. This makes some of them $3.00! I just ordered 6 books & paid $20.33 with tax. I only got the ones that were in stock for $3.00 because I know I didn't have any of them when I was a kid (my mom saved everything down to my freaking baby booties so hopefully she saved some kiddie books while she was at it) & I got one that was $4.00 to be read "in utero." :laugh: I know I can find most of the rest of them used for less than they cost on sale (most of the rest of them are $5.00 on sale).

I'm sure it's a little premature for me to be looking for books but reading was such a huge important part of my childhood I want my kid exposed to books immediately.