Pregnancy 2011 - March

Options

Replies

• ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    What is everyone's take on the recall of drop down side cribs? I am looking on sites like craigslist and kijiji for a decently priced, second hand crib that is of high quality. The problem is that almost all of them are drop down sides. I feel totally awful that I am even considering it... but when its a beautiful solid wood crib for $150 it's hard to resist (especially since we went browsing to stores this weekend and the cribs we liked ranged from $500-$1000).

You can get a brand new crib not on recall for 50 bucks more. I wouldn't buy a recalled crib. If you had one, I wouldn't use it.
  • ckmama
    Options
    It's a girl!

Congratulations How exciting.
  • ckmama
    Options
    I know you ladies said this cramping thing is normal...but it is really making me nervous! I'm just going to trust that it is completely normal and this baby isn't going anywhere. It is just that after 7 years of trying...and 2 miscarriages in the past 4 months...I'm a little nervous. :(

I had cramping in weeks 4, 5, and the beginning of 6. It was more of a pinching than a cramping I guess. No blod or anything, well I did have light brown spotting during week 4/5 which is during implantation I think.
  • ckmama
    Options
    Dragonfly - I love your new pic, you are one fit momma!

Oh thank you so much! What a nice compliment.

You are I'm jealous of your fitness and your pretty hair. You do look great though.
  • ckmama
    Options
    On the subject of daycare, would any of you mama's consider staying home and bringing in a few kids for extra money? Here is Alberta they are called Dayhomes. They are regulated by the provincial government, and there are limits as to how many children under certain ages you can take on. Also there are standards regarding your home and yard (ie must be fenced, must be a play area for the children). I assume they would have similar things in other states and provinces?

That is what I am hoping to do. Bring in 2 (maybe 3) kids when my maternity leave runs out (which won't be until baby is 12 months old) to help financially. I have a really long commute to work, so the cost of gas, plus childcare, just does not make it worth it for us.

Plus, I belong in the 50's and never wanted anything more than to get married, have babies and stay at home baking cookies. Why did I go to university again?? lol.

I have a degree and wish I could return it if they would erase my student loan debt, but other than that I am glad to have an edcuation. I was the first on both my mothers and father side of the family to ever graduate from college. I am proud to tell my son that education is important.

Now, my sister and BIL, neither have a degree, they make money coming out the wazoo, way more than my husband and I ever had and we both have college educations. But they have worked very hard, were never given hand ups or hand outs.
    My sister is now finding it hard to explain to my very gifted nephew why it is important to do well in school and to go to college. He sees what they have done without it, but like she says, she has hit the ceiling, because now jobs at her level require master's degrees.
  • ckmama
    Options
    wow I posted like a gazillion times.

I can't sleep, I have heartburn for some reason, and the 4 little toes on my right foot are numb from swelling.

Let the lashing begin...sodium intake for the past 3 days

Sunday 3000 mg
    Monday 4000 mg
    Today 5500 mg

My husband asked if I was trying to compete with myself:laugh: Ok not a laughing matter. Tomorrow I"m aiming fro around 1500-2000 mg and nothing more to see if it helps.:huh:
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    I know you ladies said this cramping thing is normal...but it is really making me nervous! I'm just going to trust that it is completely normal and this baby isn't going anywhere. It is just that after 7 years of trying...and 2 miscarriages in the past 4 months...I'm a little nervous. :(

I had a lot of cramping until like week 9. Its hard because it is normal but also can be a sign of a miscarriage. HOW TRICKY! I worried the whole time and always checked to make sure I wasn't bleeding. It will help if you get an early US to feel at least a bit more at ease. I still worry when I have strang pains and I am at almost 18 weeks.
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    It's a girl!

YEA! fun fun! I was waiting to hear. Thats exciting. I am getting more excited with each day that it is a girl.
  • jamielangner
    Options

I know it's hard but I think the best thing you can do for the baby is try to stay as calm as possible & don't stress.
  • jamielangner
    Options
    What is everyone's take on the recall of drop down side cribs? I am looking on sites like craigslist and kijiji for a decently priced, second hand crib that is of high quality. The problem is that almost all of them are drop down sides. I feel totally awful that I am even considering it... but when its a beautiful solid wood crib for $150 it's hard to resist (especially since we went browsing to stores this weekend and the cribs we liked ranged from $500-$1000).

My daughter's crib does not have the drop down side & I'm going to be doing the same for this baby. Even before they were recalled I just felt like the drop down side was completely unnecessary and just a safety hazard so I try to steer away from stuff like that. I only paid like $150 for my crib shipped to the house for my daughter after using coupon codes. Babies R Us puts out crib coupons all the time so don't think that you can't get a non drop side in your price range. I haven't bought a crib for the new baby yet because they will be in a bassinet in my room for the first couple months.
  • jamielangner
    Options
    When I was pregnant with my daughter we found out the sex, but this time around we decided not to. I changed my mind (I know, so silly, I only have less than a month to go). This office doesn't write down the sex of the baby if you don't want to know so that they won't accidently tell you. So at my ultrasound yesterday I asked her to tell me the sex and now it's too late because the baby is all scrunched up! I guess it's just meant to be a surprise for this one :)

I've been having pretty strong BH all night. Since I was induced with my daughter, I'm scared that I won't know the difference between BH and real labor. With my first pregnancy I never felt my BH, and with induction, it's not at all normal. You go from nothing to OMGOMGOMG full labor in like 5 minutes, so I'm a little scared that I won't know when I actually go into labor because of all these BH I've been having lately...
  • heathercrist1
    heathercrist1 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Rachael congrats!

Thank you ladies so much for the reassurance! It is nice to know that what I'm feeling is in fact normal and I'm not the only one to freak out about it! I slept great last night with no more cramping so that's good. I'm anxious and excited about my doctors appt today. Looking forward to finding out what my progesterone and hcg levels are as well.

Hope you ladies have a wonderful day!
  • brittonymiller
    brittonymiller Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your girl Rachael!! That is so exciting!

So yesterday was my birthday and I ate like a pig! I don't care at all because it was amazing. My husband took me to this really yummy japanese restaurant/sushi bar and I got this amazing hibachi meal that came with ginger salad, hibachi chicken and vegetables, fried rice, pork wontons, and a sushi roll. I ordered a roll from the cooked sushi section called the bagel- salmon and cream cheese stuffed sushi that was deep fried. YUMMM! Best birthday dinner ever! Then to top it all off we came home and had cookie cake, but not just any cookie cake. This one was from Sam's Club and was actually and double decker cookie cake. Cookie, sugary icing layer, cookie, icing decorations. Most of the cookie cakes I've had in recent years from grocery stores are too greasy, but this one was great.

Enough about food :laugh:

heathercrist1 I'm glad you are feeling better. I had a bunch of cramping too in the beginning. I just kept telling myself my uterus was expanding. You have had a rough time, though, so I can understand the worry. I'm sending sticky baby thoughts your way. This little one better get comfy because he or she is in it for the long haul :wink:

Jamie: BH sound crazy. My friend from back home has started to get them too. I just hope that if I get them I'm not like my other friend who wasted a lot of money going to the emergency room for two separate false alarms. My husband and I are attempting to formulate a plan for when I think contractions have started. We're thinking we should take a nice relaxing walk and get the dog some exercise. Then I should come home and shower. I mean that all depends on how fast it goes. I'm not going to be stupid and try to take a walk while contracting every two minutes. I just don't want to rush to the hospital and feel tied to a bed for 20 hrs. This is all coming from a naive first-time mom. though. We could freak out and rush to the hospital anyway. hehe.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options

You have BH w/ every pregnancy, early on, but you only start to notice them usually in subsequent pregnancies. Yes they can get very strong at the end. They accomplish a goal of toning your uterus and are good, but whew they can get intense.

i wonder if what I have been feeling is that. I feel a little bit of "pressure" down there, but it's never intense or last long. I thought it was probably just from the changes that are happening (labia, etc enlarging, increased blood flow).

I had a lot of "pressure" and discomfort right around 16 weeks, too. I had a quick u/s at my appointment & the doc said the girly was in a position that would be really uncomfortable for me later on but that could possible be causing me some discomfort at the time, too. She also said it could be caused by the normal stretching of everything down there (uterus, ligaments, etc). I'm really not sure what it was, but I did notice I felt a lot better one day after I took a super brisk 45 minute walk. The feeling came back a few days later & went away again after I was active. Not sure, just thought it was funny you're mentioning it now and you are exactly where I was when I felt it.
  • LittleSpy
    Options

I got a brand new solid wood fixed sided crib for $139. You just have to look around. :wink:

I passed on the drop down side crib my mom was trying to push on me even though it had metal hardware & had never been recalled. I definitely wouldn't risk a newer drop down side crib with plastic hardware.
  • LittleSpy
    Options
    Rachael -- Congrats on the girl! Is it weird for me to be excited that all of us that have due dates close together are having girls? :happy:

Brittony -- I love the new belly picture! And I don't think your face looks puffy at all!

YAY, I have my 20 week appointment and my anatomy ultrasound at 3:30 today. I'm excited to see the little girl again. I'm not excited to step on the scale with all of my clothes & shoes on after having eaten breakfast, snack, and lunch. Not to mention I normally drink 2 liters of water while I'm at work. It's not fair that the first weight they have recorded for me was first thing in the morning & all I had eaten was half a banana. :tongue: According to my weight this morning, I've now gained 0.8 pounds in the last 3.5 weeks. Unfortunately, I gained about 4 pounds in the 1.5 weeks before that (:embarassed:) so I expect doc's scale to show close to a 5 pound gain overall with a 12 pound gain since my first appointment (eek). I do feel good about finally having the gain under control though.
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    Rachel - Congratulations on your girl!

Brittony and Dragonfly – I love the new pics

Heather – good luck at your appointment today, I’ll be thinking of you.

I let my stupid neighbor get me so upset last night. She’s one of the few people outside of family that knows I’m pregnant. I was telling her that my morning sickness was pretty bad for a few weeks but the past couple days have been good, so I’m hoping that I’m over the worst of it. She tells that she read in a book (she’s never been pregnant) that if morning sickness stops suddenly before the first trimester is over that means the baby stopped growing. Are you kidding me?????? What would possess someone to say that to a pregnant woman? Especially since I’m already worried about my baby being ok. I cried for over an hour until my husband was finally able to clam me down. I’m still upset, but I’ll feel a lot better after my ultrasound tomorrow morning.
  • LittleSpy
    Options
    Rachel - Congratulations on your girl!

Brittony and Dragonfly – I love the new pics

Heather – good luck at your appointment today, I’ll be thinking of you.

I let my stupid neighbor get me so upset last night. She’s one of the few people outside of family that knows I’m pregnant. I was telling her that my morning sickness was pretty bad for a few weeks but the past couple days have been good, so I’m hoping that I’m over the worst of it. She tells that she read in a book (she’s never been pregnant) that if morning sickness stops suddenly before the first trimester is over that means the baby stopped growing. Are you kidding me?????? What would possess someone to say that to a pregnant woman? Especially since I’m already worried about my baby being ok. I cried for over an hour until my husband was finally able to clam me down. I’m still upset, but I’ll feel a lot better after my ultrasound tomorrow morning.

What an idiot.
    If it makes you feel better, mine did stop around 8/9 weeks for about a week and then came back with a vengeance. But pregnancy symptoms are far from a one size fits all kind of deal. Some people never get m/s or even queasiness at all but still end up with a baby. :wink:
  • jalyner
    jalyner Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    It's a girl!

Congrats!
  • dragonfly74
    dragonfly74 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    Katrina – I am so with you, I have only gotten comfortable with my boys having overnight visits with my aunt and cousin this past year. Funny thing is my aunt practically raised me so I should never worry, I know she can handle it… I am just a paranoid freak about my kids. My MIL watched my kids 1 time and I kept having hubby call, we have never hired an actual sitter so not sure how that is, nor have we done the day care thing. My oldest did do the whole school thing for Pre K and such and so will the other 2. I think it is important for them to learn how to socialize with others before they head to regular school and besides it is only like 2-3 hours a day.

Mel – Love the name, it is a good strong name! Lol

Dragonfly- you look amazing! I bet you go right back to your prepreg weight and body right after delivery.

Rachel- You went to university because your little ones will not be little forever. A degree is never a waste, it will always be there for you when you are ready to return to the workforce. I had a drop down crib with my boys and it ended up being recalled, neither of them got hurt but I personally would not take any chances with my baby. Brooklynn has a crib that does not drop down.

Rachael- congrats on the girl, I think we are now starting to outnumber the boys... for a long time there were only 2 of us having girls and now most are.

Busy day ladies, I cant believe we had so many posts today. We had 3 parts last month and at this rate we will have this one locked in a few days. We may hit a new record.

Thank you Sheri! I have gained quite a bit in the past few weeks since I cannot exercise :( My doctor will not be happy with me this Friday. He actually gives you a "red circle" around your weight if he thinks you have gained too much.