Pregnancy 2011 - March

Options

Replies

• brittonymiller
    brittonymiller Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    I put up a new pic of my belly. I feel like I'm taking pics all the time now because I am between the "you don't look pregnant" and "you look like a whale" phases. I call this the birthday belly pic. (My face is getting puffy!!)
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    Wow! So many posts today! I am going to have to read them carefully later today!

SO. I am starting to stress about daycare. Anyone else doing daycare? I know that a lot of you are SAHM's. I choose my career to be a teacher to be able to work but also have extra time home with the LO. I asked around at work for day care centers and almost everyone who uses daycare uses the same place! and they LOVE it. I just called. WITH THE TEACHER DISCOUNT... 170 per week. uhg. I called another... 194. The good thing is the one the teachers use doesn't charge you during teacher vacations.

What do you guys think about day cares vs nannys? I am leaning towards day care so the child is with more than one person plus they get to play with other kids... I have a fear that a nanny with treat the child poorly and I wouldn't know. Is that crazy?

My husband is a real estate agent and he works so much on weekends he is thinking about taking a day or two off during the week (until 3 pm when I get home). That might help with some money.

stressful!

I have my daughter in daycare & I will do the same for this baby. I don't think your fear of nannys is crazy since I have the same fear of nannies/babysitters. I still have not left my daughter alone with anyone except grandma, I guess paranoia is common :)

If your children are in daycare you are leaving them alone with someone you really don't know. My first didn't go to daycare until he was 3. It was one of the biggest emotional things for us. We should have stayed with the first day care we felt really good about but it was at a hospital set up for docs and nurses, so you can imagine how much it was. We should have stayed there, but opted for something less expensive. I've walked up on 2 day care workers and 2 different daycares screaming at kids and squeezing their faces to get them to listen.

In 1 case there was only 1 teacher in the room and in the other case there was a helper in the room who didn't say a thing about how aggressive the teacher was getting. They don't want to lose their jobs or cause problems with the person they have to work with.

I am hoping I won't ever have to put the baby in daycare if possible.

Most parents don't have a choice on daycare or not, just go with your gut. And just because other parents say the place is great doesn't mean it will meet your standards. Go with your gut on childcare not with the price. I know it is easier said than done, but this is your child and the old saying goes you get what you pay for.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I can't believe we're 100 posts and 5 pages in on March 1!
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    My oldest is Matthew David ...

That's my husband's name. Our first is a David Scott. David after my hubby's dad, his best friend, and his middle name. Scott is also his grandpa's middle name and we went with that, honestly, because we couldn't think of anything and liked that combo - so his name is exactly the same as his grandpa.
  • dragonfly74
    dragonfly74 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    Dragonfly - I love your new pic, you are one fit momma!

Oh thank you so much! What a nice compliment.
  • heathercrist1
    heathercrist1 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    AnneElise I sure hope so! My insurance will pay for an early u/s if the doc deems it necessary. And then I will get one for "growth and development" of course around 18wks and find out the sex.

Brittony I think you are cute and your face doesn't look puffy to me!

Do you ladies think that having two middle names is too much? My DH thinks so. I'd love to name my girl Charlotte Haven-Kendall (and call her Charlee of course) and a boy name him Jack Allen-Kendall. DH thinks that 2 middle names is overkill. What do you think?

Btw I couldn't help it...I bought a digital test cause I just wanted to see the words "PREGNANT". I'm definitely a peeonastick-aholic! lol!
  • brittonymiller
    brittonymiller Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options

Btw I couldn't help it...I bought a digital test cause I just wanted to see the words "PREGNANT". I'm definitely a peeonastick-aholic! lol!

Haha! I had to buy myself a digital test too. The second line on my first test was way too faint for me to feel confident that it wasn't a false positive (because we all know those are soooo common).
  • joonzgurl
    joonzgurl Posts: 1,617
    Options

You have BH w/ every pregnancy, early on, but you only start to notice them usually in subsequent pregnancies. Yes they can get very strong at the end. They accomplish a goal of toning your uterus and are good, but whew they can get intense.

i wonder if what I have been feeling is that. I feel a little bit of "pressure" down there, but it's never intense or last long. I thought it was probably just from the changes that are happening (labia, etc enlarging, increased blood flow).
  • joonzgurl
    Options
    On the subject of daycare, would any of you mama's consider staying home and bringing in a few kids for extra money? Here is Alberta they are called Dayhomes. They are regulated by the provincial government, and there are limits as to how many children under certain ages you can take on. Also there are standards regarding your home and yard (ie must be fenced, must be a play area for the children). I assume they would have similar things in other states and provinces?

That is what I am hoping to do. Bring in 2 (maybe 3) kids when my maternity leave runs out (which won't be until baby is 12 months old) to help financially. I have a really long commute to work, so the cost of gas, plus childcare, just does not make it worth it for us.

Plus, I belong in the 50's and never wanted anything more than to get married, have babies and stay at home baking cookies. Why did I go to university again?? lol.
  • heathercrist1
    heathercrist1 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I know you ladies said this cramping thing is normal...but it is really making me nervous! I'm just going to trust that it is completely normal and this baby isn't going anywhere. It is just that after 7 years of trying...and 2 miscarriages in the past 4 months...I'm a little nervous. :(
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options

i wonder if what I have been feeling is that. I feel a little bit of "pressure" down there, but it's never intense or last long. I thought it was probably just from the changes that are happening (labia, etc enlarging, increased blood flow).

Pressure is normal, but BH are tightening in your tummy muscles, usually only felt in front, especially at the top. Your uterus will feel harder.
  • joonzgurl
    Options
    What is everyone's take on the recall of drop down side cribs? I am looking on sites like craigslist and kijiji for a decently priced, second hand crib that is of high quality. The problem is that almost all of them are drop down sides. I feel totally awful that I am even considering it... but when its a beautiful solid wood crib for $150 it's hard to resist (especially since we went browsing to stores this weekend and the cribs we liked ranged from $500-$1000).
  • joonzgurl
    Options
    I know you ladies said this cramping thing is normal...but it is really making me nervous! I'm just going to trust that it is completely normal and this baby isn't going anywhere. It is just that after 7 years of trying...and 2 miscarriages in the past 4 months...I'm a little nervous. :(

I can only imagine how scary it must be for you, after stuggling for so long. Cramping is definately normal- I cramped from week 4-8 or 9 probably. That is actually one of the reasons I knew I was pregnant because normally my cramps happened a little bit past mid month for me, and it was strange I was having cramps so close to my period being due.
  • Rachickidee
    Rachickidee Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    It's a girl!
  • Soon2Bfitmamaof3
    Soon2Bfitmamaof3 Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Katrina – I am so with you, I have only gotten comfortable with my boys having overnight visits with my aunt and cousin this past year. Funny thing is my aunt practically raised me so I should never worry, I know she can handle it… I am just a paranoid freak about my kids. My MIL watched my kids 1 time and I kept having hubby call, we have never hired an actual sitter so not sure how that is, nor have we done the day care thing. My oldest did do the whole school thing for Pre K and such and so will the other 2. I think it is important for them to learn how to socialize with others before they head to regular school and besides it is only like 2-3 hours a day.

Mel – Love the name, it is a good strong name! Lol

Dragonfly- you look amazing! I bet you go right back to your prepreg weight and body right after delivery.

Rachel- You went to university because your little ones will not be little forever. A degree is never a waste, it will always be there for you when you are ready to return to the workforce. I had a drop down crib with my boys and it ended up being recalled, neither of them got hurt but I personally would not take any chances with my baby. Brooklynn has a crib that does not drop down.

Rachael- congrats on the girl, I think we are now starting to outnumber the boys... for a long time there were only 2 of us having girls and now most are.

Busy day ladies, I cant believe we had so many posts today. We had 3 parts last month and at this rate we will have this one locked in a few days. We may hit a new record.
  • dmdaigle17
    dmdaigle17 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    AnneElise I sure hope so! My insurance will pay for an early u/s if the doc deems it necessary. And then I will get one for "growth and development" of course around 18wks and find out the sex.

Brittony I think you are cute and your face doesn't look puffy to me!

Do you ladies think that having two middle names is too much? My DH thinks so. I'd love to name my girl Charlotte Haven-Kendall (and call her Charlee of course) and a boy name him Jack Allen-Kendall. DH thinks that 2 middle names is overkill. What do you think?

My husband has 2 and more often than not it causes a bit of confusion. Often when I do things for him I find myself saying, "He has 2 which one would you prefer?!" Just as a joke but, we typically just give the first initial if they can only take one. I would think if you had it written just as that Charlotte Haven-Kendall that they would consider her middle name one due to the - in between both names.

I peed on a stick for the first couple weeks each and everytime before we told someone new that I was pregnant :blushing:
  • dmdaigle17
    Options
    It's a girl!

Awwww, congrats :flowerforyou:
  • dmdaigle17
    Options

I had really bad cramping early on and it turned out to be gas/bloating. But, they were INTENSE so you immediately worry. I still get them from time to time but not as bad as I did like right at 4 weeks.
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options
    What is everyone's take on the recall of drop down side cribs? I am looking on sites like craigslist and kijiji for a decently priced, second hand crib that is of high quality. The problem is that almost all of them are drop down sides. I feel totally awful that I am even considering it... but when its a beautiful solid wood crib for $150 it's hard to resist (especially since we went browsing to stores this weekend and the cribs we liked ranged from $500-$1000).

I have had drop down sides cribs since my twins were born 17 years ago. We no longer have one as of this past month. Over time the screws on the side holding the bars would come loose and would have to be retightened. This lies the problem, potentially missing loose screws on the side causing and even greater gap. Also, I have found the new crib I have the mattress fits tighter against the side than my older drop down side cribs.
  • hoop77
    hoop77 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    heathercrist
    My first 2 kids only have one middle name but my youngest, at the moment, is 2 and has Marshall James for his middle names. James Marshall was my grandpas first and middle name so I just reversed them.