Pregnancy 2011 - March

Options

Replies

• LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Yay for your anatomy scan! I loved ours! I have her profile pic on my desktop background and catch myself staring at it all the time. She's just so perfect!! You have done really well with weight gain! I hate getting weighed at the doctor's office too. I don't think I've ever actually taken note of what they measure me as. I've gone back and forth between wearing shoes, wearing sweaters and coats, having a full bladder. I only consider my personal Monday weigh-ins, first thing in the morning after having peed and gotten naked.

It seems that way but it wouldn't if you knew how much I gained BEFORE my first appointment. :laugh: It's not good. I'm just hoping and doing everything I can to keep the gain at 35lbs or lessat this point. I've already gained more than I wanted to throughout my ENTIRE pregnancy. :embarassed: Being pregnant during Thanksgiving and Christmas wasn't pretty in terms of my weight gain. :laugh:
  • dragonfly74
    dragonfly74 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    He actually gives you a "red circle" around your weight if he thinks you have gained too much.

Wah, that's a little uncalled for :huh:

Isn't that crazy? I have never heard of another doctor focusing as much as he does on weight. At my last appointment I told him how much I had been exercising and he said "well, if you burn off 500 calories and sit down to a big bowl of spaghetti you are defeating the purpose. Do as I say, not as I do." He has told me over and over to stay away from the carbs because of all the red circles I have gotten lately. I think this week he will have to give me a double red circle :blushing:
  • dragonfly74
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I actually was pretty sure I was having a girl from the very beginning. But it's nice to have the reassurance. Now I can finally start buying cute girl stuff. I ordered my bedding last night. It is super cute.

Have fun buying all the girl things. Congratulations!
  • LittleSpy
    Options
    My doctor will not be happy with me this Friday. He actually gives you a "red circle" around your weight if he thinks you have gained too much.

That is absolutely appalling.

Isn't that nuts?! When I went to him with my first I was always getting a red ink circle around my weight and I would come home and cry. Now that it is my fourth with him I let it roll off my back. My last appointment he mentioned how I got another red circle and they failed to give me one the appointment prior as well. Sorry to tell him, this Friday I can assure him I will be getting another.

I think he handles this area of pregnancy very poorly.

That is totally crazy. Especially because so many people have no idea how to deal with weight issues in a healthy way. I think someone gaining 70 pounds during pregnancy is still probably healthier than someone starving themselves so they don't get a red circle at their next appointment because they don't know how to stall weight gain in a healthier way. Yeesh.

I actually feel like my OB has been too lenient about my weight gain. They wouldn't have said anything to me if I hadn't brought it up myself at my last appointment. Maybe it's because all the OBs I see in the practice are all women with children (there are 4 of them I see through my pregnancy so there's a really great chance a doc I know will be present at the delivery)?
  • LynnW52
    LynnW52 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    You will know when it is time to go to the hospital. With my first I woke up at 3am and went out to the couch and by 4am I knew I needed to get to the hospital. To me the hospital was a comforting place to be. I am happy I got there when I did because I went quite fast. The nurses even had to keep me from pushing until the doctor arrived. The nurses waited too long to call the doctor and get him to the hospital because even they didn't think a first time mom normally goes as quickly as I did. At one point I heard the one nurse say to the other "we might be delivering a baby here." My first was a wonderful smooth exerience. Each of my labors has gotten shorter but more intense. With this one I will be sure to get there ASAP because I want to make it to the hospital.

I don't believe you are being naive at all. Each time to me is a new and different experience. Just use your intuition :smile:

I'm planning on staying at home for as long as possible, where I can be up walking around and more comfortable, but I also wonder if I'll panic and run to the hospital at the first sign of contractions. Since this is my first pregnancy, I don't know what to expect, so I can plan all I want, but I don't know how I'll feel and what I'll do when it really comes down to it.

The hospital we are delivering at is only 3 miles away, so that makes me a little more confident that if I stay at home and things progress really quickly, we can be at the hospital in 5 minutes.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Jamie: BH sound crazy. My friend from back home has started to get them too. I just hope that if I get them I'm not like my other friend who wasted a lot of money going to the emergency room for two separate false alarms. My husband and I are attempting to formulate a plan for when I think contractions have started. We're thinking we should take a nice relaxing walk and get the dog some exercise. Then I should come home and shower. I mean that all depends on how fast it goes. I'm not going to be stupid and try to take a walk while contracting every two minutes. I just don't want to rush to the hospital and feel tied to a bed for 20 hrs. This is all coming from a naive first-time mom. though. We could freak out and rush to the hospital anyway. hehe.

With my first I had contractions every 5 minutes for about 10 hours (I noticed them at the barn in the morning before work, but of course, decided to still go into work for the day, and back to the barn on the way home - what's wrong with me!? :laugh:) but they didn't hurt until later that evening. They were actually every 3 minutes for about 5 hours before I went into the hospital, and I still had a few hours to go after that. They only really hurt for the last 5 or 7 hours (like food poisoning basically) and only in a "can't walk talk or breathe" bad for the last 3 or so. I have a high pain tolerance though, and the dr said wait until you can't talk or breathe then come in, so I waited.

We'll see how long I wait with this one - between 2nd labors typically being shorter, and an hour plus drive to the hospital! Yikes!:noway:
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options

Isn't that nuts?! When I went to him with my first I was always getting a red ink circle around my weight and I would come home and cry. Now that it is my fourth with him I let it roll off my back. My last appointment he mentioned how I got another red circle and they failed to give me one the appointment prior as well. Sorry to tell him, this Friday I can assure him I will be getting another.

I am such a b**** in some areas if I experienced this I would tell him to never, ever put red on my chart around my weight. Having not seen an OB for 17 years I am still shocked at these kinds of things. What are we in 3rd grade? I never grade my own kids work in red. Anyway, I find it great you can let it roll off your back. I am not good at that.

I love your hair BTW. Mine was long, but I had it cut so it is now a few inches below my shoulders. W/ several of mine it has been to my waist.
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options
    You will know when it is time to go to the hospital. With my first I woke up at 3am and went out to the couch and by 4am I knew I needed to get to the hospital. To me the hospital was a comforting place to be. I am happy I got there when I did because I went quite fast. The nurses even had to keep me from pushing until the doctor arrived. The nurses waited too long to call the doctor and get him to the hospital because even they didn't think a first time mom normally goes as quickly as I did. At one point I heard the one nurse say to the other "we might be delivering a baby here." My first was a wonderful smooth exerience. Each of my labors has gotten shorter but more intense. With this one I will be sure to get there ASAP because I want to make it to the hospital.

I don't believe you are being naive at all. Each time to me is a new and different experience. Just use your intuition :smile:

I'm planning on staying at home for as long as possible, where I can be up walking around and more comfortable, but I also wonder if I'll panic and run to the hospital at the first sign of contractions. Since this is my first pregnancy, I don't know what to expect, so I can plan all I want, but I don't know how I'll feel and what I'll do when it really comes down to it.

The hospital we are delivering at is only 3 miles away, so that makes me a little more confident that if I stay at home and things progress really quickly, we can be at the hospital in 5 minutes.

Going to the hospital too early is one of the biggest mistakes, IMO, especially for first time moms. My advice is always to wait until you can no longer talk through them, you need all your focus to get through them. Going early often, these days, starts a big cascade of interventions, something you do not need.
  • Soon2Bfitmamaof3
    Soon2Bfitmamaof3 Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Jamie: BH sound crazy. My friend from back home has started to get them too. I just hope that if I get them I'm not like my other friend who wasted a lot of money going to the emergency room for two separate false alarms. My husband and I are attempting to formulate a plan for when I think contractions have started. We're thinking we should take a nice relaxing walk and get the dog some exercise. Then I should come home and shower. I mean that all depends on how fast it goes. I'm not going to be stupid and try to take a walk while contracting every two minutes. I just don't want to rush to the hospital and feel tied to a bed for 20 hrs. This is all coming from a naive first-time mom. though. We could freak out and rush to the hospital anyway. hehe.

With my first I had contractions every 5 minutes for about 10 hours (I noticed them at the barn in the morning before work, but of course, decided to still go into work for the day, and back to the barn on the way home - what's wrong with me!? :laugh:) but they didn't hurt until later that evening. They were actually every 3 minutes for about 5 hours before I went into the hospital, and I still had a few hours to go after that. They only really hurt for the last 5 or 7 hours (like food poisoning basically) and only in a "can't walk talk or breathe" bad for the last 3 or so. I have a high pain tolerance though, and the dr said wait until you can't talk or breathe then come in, so I waited.

We'll see how long I wait with this one - between 2nd labors typically being shorter, and an hour plus drive to the hospital! Yikes!:noway:

My first labor was 18 hours and my second was 8.... I have no idea what to expect this time. I am convinced that my first took longer because we hurried to the hospital and I was tied down to a bed, with my second I waited a few hours until my contractions were 5 mins apart went in got checked and told them that I wanted to walk around and not be stuck in a bed. I am thinking that since we live 7 mins from the hospital this time I will wait until I feel like I NEED my epidural. I am hoping for a 3-4 hour labor but you never know.

About weight gain.... I have gained double what I wanted to gain but oh well! My doctor says not to worry because it is not extreme, I will probably end up gaining about 35lbs in the end which is the best pregnancy gain for me ever. I have always done so well loosing weight after having a baby so I am not worried at all. I am looking to loose 115 lbs after the arrival of this little one which will put me in the middle of a healthy weight for my height and where I was in high school.It will also be about 20 lbs less than my hubby has ever seen me so he thinks I am nuts because I was actually really thin and fit when we met.
  • MisdemeanorM
    Options
    I've never heard that either and I agree, it's certainly not accurate. Brittony is right, this is just the tip of the iceberg of unwanted "advice" and information that people will give you.

My father in law told me that there is some sort of chemical inbalance that occurs only when you are having a boy - and if your Dr. doesn't put you on meds in your third trimester - you will become bipolar and schizophrenic after you have the baby.

Hm..... :laugh:

No... that's what happens to moms when their boys are 1 and 2 :laugh: :laugh:
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options
    My first labor was 24 hours, the next was 3 hours and 45 minutes. The rest except one were under 4 hours. All born at home.

I have now gained about 23 pounds.
  • MisdemeanorM
    Options
    My doctor will not be happy with me this Friday. He actually gives you a "red circle" around your weight if he thinks you have gained too much.

That is absolutely appalling.

Mine hasn't mentioned my weight at all yet. Gain or lack of or being spot on - and I have had each.
  • LittleSpy
    Options
    Going to the hospital too early is one of the biggest mistakes, IMO, especially for first time moms. My advice is always to wait until you can no longer talk through them, you need all your focus to get through them. Going early often, these days, starts a big cascade of interventions, something you do not need.

I'm all set to sit here at work through contractions for the first few hours. :laugh: I don't think I'll even tell hubby when they start because I have a sneaking suspician he's going to be a little freaked about me not wanting to go to the hospital right away. It's going to be interesting because he's usually so calm under stressful "emergency" type situations and I'm a total wreck. But I've noticed we've switched roles about this pregnancy for the most part (except for the 1 instance of spotting that really freaked me out). Just yesterday he refused to let me grab a grocery bag out of my car because he didn't want me "bending over the tailgate & hurting the baby." :laugh: I really hope we can both remain calm. I'm so high strung. :indifferent:
  • dragonfly74
    Options

I am such a b**** in some areas if I experienced this I would tell him to never, ever put red on my chart around my weight. Having not seen an OB for 17 years I am still shocked at these kinds of things. What are we in 3rd grade? I never grade my own kids work in red. Anyway, I find it great you can let it roll off your back. I am not good at that.

I love your hair BTW. Mine was long, but I had it cut so it is now a few inches below my shoulders. W/ several of mine it has been to my waist.

Thank you! I grow it out and then donate to Locks of Love. Once I get the nerve to do it again it will be my fourth time. They require a 10" minimum and I could do it now but not sure I am quite ready to go short again.
  • MisdemeanorM
    Options
    He actually gives you a "red circle" around your weight if he thinks you have gained too much.

Wah, that's a little uncalled for :huh:

Isn't that crazy? I have never heard of another doctor focusing as much as he does on weight. At my last appointment I told him how much I had been exercising and he said "well, if you burn off 500 calories and sit down to a big bowl of spaghetti you are defeating the purpose. Do as I say, not as I do." He has told me over and over to stay away from the carbs because of all the red circles I have gotten lately. I think this week he will have to give me a double red circle :blushing:

That's crazy - because looking at your photo you are not anywhere near overweight for a pregnant lady!!!!
  • LynnW52
    LynnW52 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options

This is exactly what is going on with my co-workers wife. She is pregnant with her first and is due March 4th. Yesterday in the office they mentioned that she is in the hospital and they started pitocin (sp?). I asked if her water broke, or if she was having contractions cause I was confused as to why they were inducing her already. I guess she went to the hospital because she was having mild pains and felt funny, but was only dilated to 3 when she got there.

So she has been in the bed for the last 24 hours, they broke her water this morning and started another round of pitocin, and now she is dilated to 4.

What the hell? I am still perplexed as to why they even kept her... :huh: I have a feeling they are gonna get tired of things going so slowly (because she's not really ready....) and they are gonna send her for an unnecessary C-section.

The above scenario is the EXACT opposite of what I want to go through.
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options

Thank you! I grow it out and then donate to Locks of Love. Once I get the nerve to do it again it will be my fourth time. They require a 10" minimum and I could do it now but not sure I am quite ready to go short again.

I have done it twice myself. My girls have done it many times as well. Both of my twins got their hair cut last week and one cut hers very short, donated it.
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options

I'm pretty sure I would cry if my doctor did that. I think you look amazing!
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options

This is exactly what is going on with my co-workers wife. She is pregnant with her first and is due March 4th. Yesterday in the office they mentioned that she is in the hospital and they started pitocin (sp?). I asked if her water broke, or if she was having contractions cause I was confused as to why they were inducing her already. I guess she went to the hospital because she was having mild pains and felt funny, but was only dilated to 3 when she got there.

So she has been in the bed for the last 24 hours, they broke her water this morning and started another round of pitocin, and now she is dilated to 4.

What the hell? I am still perplexed as to why they even kept her... :huh: I have a feeling they are gonna get tired of things going so slowly (because she's not really ready....) and they are gonna send her for an unnecessary C-section.

The above scenario is the EXACT opposite of what I want to go through.

Yes this is the cascade of interventions. The hospital often now "keeps" women, even if they are not in active labor. It used to be, when I was expecting my first few, they did not admit women until clear, active labor and dilated to 4. If contraxs are not strong at 4 they would send you walking. Now procedure is often bed, EFM, pit and/or breaking waters. I read about it all the time and the typical scenario on ICAN, International Cesarean Awareness Network and moms saddened, angry about an unnecessary c/s.
  • MisdemeanorM
    Options

I'm all set to sit here at work through contractions for the first few hours. :laugh: I don't think I'll even tell hubby when they start because I have a sneaking suspician he's going to be a little freaked about me not wanting to go to the hospital right away. It's going to be interesting because he's usually so calm under stressful "emergency" type situations and I'm a total wreck. But I've noticed we've switched roles about this pregnancy for the most part (except for the 1 instance of spotting that really freaked me out). Just yesterday he refused to let me grab a grocery bag out of my car because he didn't want me "bending over the tailgate & hurting the baby." :laugh: I really hope we can both remain calm. I'm so high strung. :indifferent:

When I was in mild labor last time, I got home from work and told him I'd been having contractions all day and was pretty sure that we'd be going into the hospital in the next 6-12 hours. About 20 minutes later he mentioned that he was thinking of going out to play pool with a buddy that night (they went/go out until 2 or 3 when they do). I gave him probably the nastiest look ever and asked something along the line of - what the hell are you thinking? He was all like - what? And I said - did you not hear the part about I'M IN LABOR?!! I think it sort of clicked with him then. We watched movies all night (I tried to sleep, yeah right - in 2 minute bursts) but of course staying awake just made him tired and he fell asleep the minute they checked me into the hospital for monitoring around 6a. :grumble: :grumble:

I agree about not heading into the hospital prematurely. They stuck me in a gown and into a bed and said they'd be back in an hour or so "to verify I was in labor" :explode:. Then they totally disappeared. No one checked in or said anything like - if you'd like to walk around or take a shower, etc to help the contractions feel free.... etc. They just left.