New Rules of Lifting for Women group?

Options

Replies

• oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    My daily calorie goal is 1330. I didn't increase my daily goal like the book said. I want to continue losing weight and I feel with this program, I will lose fat and not muscle. I have lost 5 lbs since starting NRLW. And I can see the difference in my body. I absolutely love it. I have a spreadsheet as well. But i would love to see your format, it sounds a lot better than mine. :-)

Hmm.. I will change mine back down to 1480 and see how it goes there for a few weeks. If I feel tired or bogged down, I'll increase it. :) Do you net at 1330?

Also, I sent you a friend request!
  • mocha76
    mocha76 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    My daily calorie goal is 1330. I didn't increase my daily goal like the book said. I want to continue losing weight and I feel with this program, I will lose fat and not muscle. I have lost 5 lbs since starting NRLW. And I can see the difference in my body. I absolutely love it. I have a spreadsheet as well. But i would love to see your format, it sounds a lot better than mine. :-)

Hmm.. I will change mine back down to 1480 and see how it goes there for a few weeks. If I feel tired or bogged down, I'll increase it. :) Do you net at 1330?

Also, I sent you a friend request!

Yes, I net 1330 on days that I do not workout. It goes up on the days that I workout. And I almost always eat back all of my exercise calories.
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    To answer your pushup question, I think it's laid out for someone who has to start out doing pushups on a bench or on their knees. He assumes you'll do 15 pushups off the wall, then 12 pushups off a bench, 10 pushups on your knees, and 8 proper form pushups. I can already do 15 regular pushups, so I'll probably increase it each time, or maybe put some weight on my back. You could try that?

As for the barbell hurting your shoulders, they make attachments that mold to your shoulders and improve comfort. I'm not sure where you can get one. Maybe try Academy or a similar store? That's the only solution I have! :)

OOHHHHHHHH - that makes sense!! Maybe I'll change it to go the other way then. For the barbell, a guy I work with suggested wrapping a towel around it - so I'm going to try that first. I'll feel a little silly if I carry some thing in for it, but will do it if I have to. It really hurts!! Thanks!!!
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I made myself a spreadsheet too (in Word) - but I'd LOVE to see both of yours too!!! I'll send you mine too if you want to see it. I'll message both of you with my email address since I don't think we can do attachments here. I'm happy with mine, but maybe I'll see something else I want to add to mine!! Mine is for all of Stage 1 - I haven't gone further than that yet.

I thought phase 1 looked pretty easy too and was worried about the six weeks too. But I can feel it!! During my workouts, it doesn't seem that bad, but later in the day and the next day I'm feeling it. Some things are harder than others because they are things I didn't do before at all (deadlifts, seated rows, lat pull-downs, pushups), but the other things weren't so new - so I just added lots of weight and increased the hight of the step. And I do intervals afterward which probably helps maybe too. So I'm planning for the whole six weeks too cuz I'm afraid to mess with the system LOL!!

For the calorie goal - I took what he suggested and subtracted about 300 from it (and rounded it). I think I remember him saying that was okay to do if you were trying to lose fat. So - I'm doing 1500 on non-lifting days and 1800 on lifting days (since he said to eat 300 extra those days). I'm only a week and a half into it, so I don't know how well it will work yet - but I was eating 1500 before, so the only thing that changed was adding the 300 calories on the days I lift (didn't eat any excercise calories before). I'm a little nervous about eating the extra 300, but I'm trusting the book! Of course, the last couple days, I went over cuz I was bad, but aside from that.... Oh and I set my goals for 40-30-30 and try to hit or exceed the protein every day.
  • oddyogi
    Options
    Awesome.. I'm making custom workout logs for each stage as well, since the one available for print on thenewrulesoflifting.com doesn't fit all of the exercises in later stages. Let me know if you're interested in any of those as well!

Does anyone have any ideas for an alternative for the lat pulldown? That's the ONE thing my gym at work is missing--besides a swiss ball, but I can bring mine from home--and I know it's featured prominently throughout the program. I was thinking maybe just negative pull-ups, but I'm not sure. I know I won't be able to last long.
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Question about dead lifts. I started doing them again a few weeks ago. I didn't start with very much weight because it has been a long long time since I've done them. What's a good weight/rep goal for these? Those of you doing dead lifts... how much weight and how many reps???

Also... I have a very strong upper body and very weak legs. I am limited to how much I can lift due to the fact that my bladder is basically falling out at this point. I need a bladder lift and my OBGYN has told me NOT to squat really heavy weight or do exercises that require a lot of bearing down. I have awful stress incontinence too. I still do squats, lunges, and presses and such (mostly because I'm hard headed) but I have been doing lighter weights and less reps. I wish I could lift heavier but I just can't at this point :(
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    As far as goals, Stephanie, I'd just do what you could do and I started not being able to deadlift the oly bar so 30 at the beginning of stage 1. I'm now in the middle of stage 2 and competently (I almost typed easily) dl'ing the bar so...45 lbs. I follow the reps the book gives (10).

I am looking further in the book to the other routines and it seems like it gets sooo complicated with the alternating sets and lowered/higher reps for certain sets/lifts. I know it will be fine after the dreaded first set of a new level but I really need to map out my training journal meticulously before I get to 5, 6 and 7! (I have a while.)
  • Kimbie500
    Kimbie500 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Hi Kimbie!! The prone jackknife's will get easier as you go. I actually enjoy doing them now!! I feel like a bad@$$!!

Thanks, Mocha!! The sets tonight were a little better form-wise but still super hard. We'll see how sore my abs are tomorrow...
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    NRoLfW victory! 2 victories actually! I did 2 sets of 10 "boy-style" push-ups for the first time starting the program (or ummm ever!) I also have fairly quickly improved my plank time to the 60 second mark! Not too bad for the second plank workout of the level! Planks were so sneaky. I thought at first "This is way too easy for me" and then once I was just past that 20 second mark I was shaking and muttering. I still shook and muttered this past round but I stayed plank-like for the whole minute! Whoo whoo!
  • Kimbie500
    Kimbie500 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    NRoLfW victory! 2 victories actually! I did 2 sets of 10 "boy-style" push-ups for the first time starting the program (or ummm ever!) I also have fairly quickly improved my plank time to the 60 second mark! Not too bad for the second plank workout of the level! Planks were so sneaky. I thought at first "This is way too easy for me" and then once I was just past that 20 second mark I was shaking and muttering. I still shook and muttered this past round but I stayed plank-like for the whole minute! Whoo whoo!

Way to go!!!
  • mocha76
    Options

Congrats on the victories!!! I can not wait to be able to do real push ups!!!
  • oddyogi
    Options
    Awesome on all the progress, guys!

I start today. I can't wait! I have to go home on lunch and get my swiss ball to bring to the gym. I'm still not sure what to do instead of lat pulldowns. Anyone have any suggestions? I was just going to make my husband help me do negative pullups..
  • mocha76
    Options
    Awesome on all the progress, guys!

I start today. I can't wait! I have to go home on lunch and get my swiss ball to bring to the gym. I'm still not sure what to do instead of lat pulldowns. Anyone have any suggestions? I was just going to make my husband help me do negative pullups..

The workout plan is layed out in the back of the book. Start with Stage 1. Enjoy!!
  • oddyogi
    Options
    I did my first workout yesterday.. it went extremely well except for I forgot to do the alternating sets in an alternating pattern, haha. Oh well, I'll remember tomorrow. The prone jackknife is a lot harder than I expected! I liked it, though. :) After the workout I had to get about 20 minutes in on the elliptical--I didn't make a very good choice at lunch yesterday. We were pretty much forced to eat lunch at Chili's and I let the idea of honey chipotle chicken crispers take over my willpower. D:

Oh well.. today is a new day! I will make good choices the rest of this week to make up for it. :)
  • mocha76
    Options
    I'm glad you had a good workout yesterday!!! I am up to 12 prone jackknifes now. After I get off of the ball, I feel like I have just accomplished something really big. I never thought in a million years that I would be strong enough to do something like that. About the Chili's, I totally understand. But like you said, it is a new day!! Move forward!

I am on the 3 sets of 10 in Stage 1. And I did the first workout on Saturday and let me tell you.......it was a challenging workout. I was sweating like I had just taken Zumba. And then like a crazy woman, I went to Zumba right afterwards. Then went back to Zumba on Sunday. My body is definitely feeling it. I took a rest day yesterday and back to weights today. Whoo Hoo!!! Let's get it done ladies!!

Have a great day everyone!!!
  • seventysix06
    seventysix06 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Just did the first workout of phase 2...i'm scared of the B workout though! Someone mentioned logs--i found these great ones that a girl put online. I think you'll find it if you google new rules of lifting for women logs--she requires some passwords that are words off the actual book itself. It's not on the forum, it's something else. Highly recommend them--they're amazing.
  • Brandie6004
    Brandie6004 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    bumpin for laters...
  • FitJ1210
    FitJ1210 Posts: 754
    Options
    Bump..My copy is on its way :smile:
  • dailyorange
    dailyorange Posts: 128
    Options
    Hey gals!

seventysix06 - I just started workout 1 of Phase 2 also! I did it on Sunday and boy was I sore yesterday! I'm slightly intimidated by today's workout too, but we can do it! Do have a a link to the log website? I'm interested in checking it out =)
  • oddyogi
    Options
    Hey gals!

seventysix06 - I just started workout 1 of Phase 2 also! I did it on Sunday and boy was I sore yesterday! I'm slightly intimidated by today's workout too, but we can do it! Do have a a link to the log website? I'm interested in checking it out =)

I made custom workout logs if you're interested. :) Just message me and I can email them to you! Also open to anyone else who's interested! (I had a very empty day at work last week when I made them :glasses: )