Senior Golden Sneakers -April 2011

Options

Replies

• Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,114 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday!! :bigsmile: Bingo night but not sure I will be going with my husband's foot being injured. :noway: The sun is shining the temp is supposed to get to middle 60's, so life is good. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Maddie, glad you are feeling better and are back with your great graphics. :bigsmile: Let us know what the doctor says and if indeed you go to see your mom today. Those grandchildren will make you all better with one of their big (((((hugs))))).:love::love:

Kathy, glad to hear from you. Don't worry about posting to each of us individually, that is not required to be our friend. :noway: Just pop in and let us know how you are doing and if you need to talk. Some of us (like me) are just gabby people. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh

Marie, good morning. We go to the doctor today to discuss when Babe will have surgery which I hope is ASAP since I have plans made for the beginning of May to go to each of my granddaughter's college graduations. One in Washington DC the other in Minnesota. I know that sounds selfish but I have the airline tickets booked and a hotel in DC. They said a 4 to 6 week recovery so if he has it done like yesterday, he should be fine by then. :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: Daisy is missing his morning walks with her but I have taken over the walks after dinner. Healthy for me, but makes me more lazy with my other exercise.
    I am glad Jerry is handling his radiation treatments well and he gets a clear bill of health when he his done. :flowerforyou:

Shirley, sorry you are not feeling well and glad you can just rest today. :flowerforyou: BTW, we have no age requirement here, we love all people no matter what their age. :laugh: :laugh:

Pink, you must have the same Internet friends that I do, since we get the same jokes. :laugh: :laugh: Keep them coming though, they make us all laugh whether we heard them or not. :tongue:

Phoebe, I was exhausted last night, all I did was drive all day. Do you have any idea how tiring that can be? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Donna, hope you got some sleep. :yawn: :yawn:

Judy, every time I see your profile picture it just stands out, you look so pretty in that blue dress. :blushing: :blushing:

Natalie, hope all is well with you today,just try to stay under calories, exercise and drink lots of water. Let us know what happens by next week, I think you will be surprised. :bigsmile:

Barbie and Jake are probably still sleeping exhausted from spending time with three grandchildren under the age of 5. :laugh: :laugh: Hurry back we miss you. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Connie, on a personal note, don't worry about your relatives posting on my wall on face book. Face book is tricky for some people including me at times. :laugh: :laugh:

Jeri, hope all is going good for you in Canada. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Gigi, we will be anxious to know about your Italy trip. :love:

Elli, you must be working so hard, you probably need a break. You are missed here but I am happy that you at least are on the home page. For those who don't want to post everyday, give us permission to make you our friend and we can see your progress on the home page. Sometimes that is easier for some.:happy:

I think I got everyone or at least those who have posted in the last couple of days. :drinker:

Have a great day and keep coming back!!!!!
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful recipe site. Makes me want to get on WW. Phoebe you will love this site. The biscute looks devine Thanks
    weagles for sharing. She has some great recipes.

Tip of the day.............................from me.
    For those that are watching your sodium intake. Fruits hardly have any sodium. even the canned ones. So enjoy. i do.Besides they are good for you.and the calories are not bad either. I think that is what i will do today make a big bowl of fruit salad and enjoy them. I wish cottage cheese was not so high in sodium. I think i remember some one say they have lower sidum cottage cheese but I don' recalled ever seeing any but will look today to see if I can find some. Greek yogurt don't have many tho.

Anymore good tips. Ladies............. for us that are waching our sodium.

See you guys later
    Marie:heart:
  • elli
    elli Posts: 593
    Options
    thanks for understanding Sandy - I really don't like not having time to reply to everyone - i love you guys - but honestly, i just don't have the time right now. the homepage works really well for just checking in.

I'm fixing dinner for my Ks tonight - then tomorrow i HOPE to take the day off and go down to Colo Spgs for a visit with Leena. I haven't seen her in a month and she now has 2 teeth! they change so quickly! I'm blessed to get to see Kodi 2 or 3 times a week.

MADDIE - i hope you're feeling better and your Mom is doing all right.

hope everyone else is good - Jerry's radiation is going well, and Babe gets surgery quick. SANDY - you are NOT selfish! what a gift to the granddaughters for you to be there at their graduations!

l, e
  • gigi46
    gigi46 Posts: 196
    Options
    Hello everyone'

Today was a sad day at the gym:angry::angry: :angry: they replaced all the trendclimer machines with elliptical machine, they already had them but these are a little more fancy:grumble: :grumble: :grumble: well I need to redo my whole routine:noway: :noway:

Jeri - Twins that is so awesome, I have three grandchildren one girl and two boys, so great:love::love: :love:

Phoebe - I'll be looking for John Grisham Book, thanks for the tip:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Jackie - I needed that joke was hilarious:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Shirley - so go to see you back-WELCOME:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Maddie - So glad you're feeling better and having plans for the weekend with the grandkids, so happy about your Mom coming home soon:love::love: :love:

Sandy - Hope everything goes well at the Dr's and your husband is able to have his surgery before your travel plans, sounds so wonderful to be able to share those special time with your family:heart::heart: :heart:

Elli - I know you're so busy with work and family, we miss you:cry::cry: :cry:

Have a wonderful day, our day is full of sunshine and feels great, life is good.

Gigi
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    SANDY. Sorry to hear about your husband.  Hope that works out well for you. My dh had to have neck surgery a couple of years ago. Then he wasn't allowed to drive for about 2 months. I was ready to kill him after awhile, he turned into a terrible back seat driver. LOL. 

And as for the the twins, they are lots of fun with different personalities completely. Peter takes after his Mom and John Paul, his Dad. 

Of course you have to go to the graduations!!!!

JACKIE, loved the joke. 

Oh MADDIE, I am so glad you and your Mom are feeling better. And yes, the grands are so much fun. 

It is nice and sunny here today but they are forecasting snow for tonight.  Rats, rats. I much enjoy walking out side. The treadmill is okay, but my enjoyment is my walk outside. 

And for those I didn't comment on, have a wonderful day. 
  • grabbit97
    grabbit97 Posts: 445
    Options
    Tip of the day.............................from me.
    For those that are watching your sodium intake. Fruits hardly have any sodium. even the canned ones. So enjoy. i do.Besides they are good for you.and the calories are not bad either. I think that is what i will do today make a big bowl of fruit salad and enjoy them. I wish cottage cheese was not so high in sodium. I think i remember some one say they have lower sidum cottage cheese but I don' recalled ever seeing any but will look today to see if I can find some. Greek yogurt don't have many tho.

Good advise, thank you....
    Does anyone eat popcorn, the low fat microwave? I dona't think it has that much sodium in it... for the alloted 5 cups in the mini bag of orville smartpop?
    What other snacks do you eat? Especially at night, around 8 PM after dinner?
    Suggestions??
    Natalie
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    LYN54
    what happened? We are worried about you. When we come to care for someone, it is cruelty itself to leave without a word.
    these are the kindest, most caring people ive ever known, never a 'ulterior' motive among them. That includes you, Lynn.
    So I am baffled by your action. Please help me to understand.
    we love you
  • Sandydur
    Options
    [/quote]

Does anyone eat popcorn, the low fat microwave? I dona't think it has that much sodium in it... for the alloted 5 cups in the mini bag of orville smartpop?
    What other snacks do you eat? Especially at night, around 8 PM after dinner?
    Suggestions??
    Natalie
    [/quote]

Natalie, I gave up junk food for lent along with sweets except for my jello cup and 2 tsps whipped cream which is my snack at night time. When I can go back to new snacks I do eat pop secret 100 calories pop corn, in the individual bags. One bad has 110 calories, no sugar and 300 mg salt. It fills me up and satisfies my junk food craving. Hope that helps.

Sandy
    Options
    Well, last night we had a headlight out. Dh always has spares, but they didnt work. To make a long story shorter, we are in a shop in AZ to repair the wiring which is broken. We have been here for hours, and just now got inside the shop. I slept, ;-) , of course! Lol
    ive read the posts to keep up. Natalie, yes ive eaten smart pop mini bags, I burn one, eat onelol those mnin bags cook fast!
    Jeri, your family sounds like a very happy and loving one, glad your grandchildren have you as their inspiration.
    marie, bananas taste wonderful to me. They are all I want! Well, fruit wise that is!

Maddie is mending, and posting great pics. Be safe today at the doctor.
    gigi, my gym has one recumbent bike, hope it is still there when I get back!
  • grabbit97
    grabbit97 Posts: 445
    Options
    Natalie, I gave up junk food for lent along with sweets except for my jello cup and 2 tsps whipped cream which is my snack at night time. When I can go back to new snacks I do eat pop secret 100 calories pop corn, in the individual bags. One bad has 110 calories, no sugar and 300 mg salt. It fills me up and satisfies my junk food craving. Hope that helps.

Sandy

Sandy, I like to eat them they give me something to munch on, and the sodium is not that bad...
    I know it counts towards carbs, which I am trying to keep under control.
    today for lunch i am having some tuna salad, on a wheat thin bagel (natures own), some sliced celery, and bringing some fruit for our card game to much on later as a snack... good idea???
    Natalie
  • debzwill
    debzwill Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies,

I feel very tired tonight. It's been a long day. Busy at work, then lots of traffic on the way home and to top it all off, the dustcart crashed into our garage and has ripped the guttering off and part of the roof! This is the 3rd time in 3 years. Each time they deny it, even though Dave has caught them once before and then again today. They say because there have been no witnesses we cannot prove it! Dave got his name and work no, and when he rang the council to report it ,they said the employee had not done so, so they have no record. They said they will speak to him::grumble: Our insurance co paid for it the first time, we did the 2nd time but I am really hoping that somehow we can get the council to pay up. I think I am going to get a cctv camera now.:angry:

Well, now i have that off my chest :laugh:

Maddie: It's good to hear that you and your mum are feeling better. Enjoy spending time with your grandkids. They are such are a great tonic. Love your dancing lady:bigsmile: Good luck at the doctors and enjoy your visit with grandma.

Sandy: I hope the op goes well for Babe and I agree with Jeri, you must go to graduations. The grandkids will be disappointed as well as you, if you don't . bigsmile:

Kathy: So glad you posted. Thanks for the recipe site, I will be checking it out later:drinker:

Donna: Hope you had a good night last night, and that you are feeling much better today:flowerforyou:

Jeri: Twins, how lovely. What is it about our grandkids that bring so much joy to us? How many do you have now?:smile:

Phoebe: I love bananas tooand I always have one before Zumba, cos it gives me a energy boost:smile:

Judy: lol:laugh:

Gosh I am droning on and on :yawn:
  • debzwill
    debzwill Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    BTW I like Sandys idea about the profile page. Feel free to friend me :bigsmile:
    Options
    Deb thats a good idea about the cctv thing. A friend had her tires slashed in her driveway. The neighbors a block away had some problems with vandals as well, they said they put in cameras and it stopped it. My friend installed some too and no more problems. It if frustrating when someone lies to your face about it. Surely yours is not the only one they have damaged. Ck your neighborhood for other people in the same boat.

Natalie, your tuna sounds delish. I am craving it, but mostly I want it homemade, my own recipe, you know?
    We tried a place that we hadnt been to before for dinner yesterday. I had a salmon wrap. It had grilled salmon, black beans, lettuce, corn, and pico de gallo. Delicious and not loaded with fat. I only ate half of the wrap, ate the rest open faced.
    6 hours later, we are moving again, my turn to drive.
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Natalie, the fruit sounds perfect for a snack at your card game, good choice!! :drinker:

I am depressed because my husband's surgery is scheduled for Friday which is fine, but the recovery is six weeks on crutches. How can I go to my two granddaughter's graduations with him on crutches and with Daisy? I asked him to have his daughter come in from California to take care of him but since her husband lost his job, he doesn't like that idea, besides I think she makes him stressed. Some how I have to work this out, my granddaughters will be so disappointed if I don't come and I will be so sad.:sad:
    I am on a pity pot so just bear with me, things have a way of working out, I just have to trust in God. :bigsmile:
  • judz46
    judz46 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Sandy - you need to go to the graduation...that only happens once...Your husband will have time to get used to the crutches so just cook some extra meals and put in the freezer for him..get a neighbor to check on him and away you go...all sorted.
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Help someone Leigh..... jstalittlecrzy has just bump the febuary thread She needs a link to this one. I have tried but I am just running around in circle. Just had a low blood sugar and hAve not came out of it entirely yet. It leaves me cofused.Could someone send her a Pm and send her the correct link. I will be allright soon. I did not get all of my lunch for we were in a hurry to get to the beauty shop Before sshe got off work. I did have my 12 oz of vegies but did not take time to get my fruit.
    Thanks Marie
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Yes Sandy, He has a son close bye too. you wouldn't be gone that long. I remember what you went thru with the arm bit. You were right by his side The whole time. This is a once in a life time. May have to board Daisy out somewhere. I think everything will work out. Take care. Get him and daisy settle down and go play bingo.tonight.Love Marie
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Sandy ~ Judy is soooo right ~ GO to the graduation, it's a once in a lifetime. A freezer full of food will keep your hubby from starving.

Deb ~ Your family photos are delightful. How proud you must feel. As for the dustcart, you will struggle to get the council to accept liability even if the driver does admit it. A few years ago my aunt was staying with me and had parked her car at the bottom of our track and a dustcart reversed into it. The driver came to find us to admit he had caused the damage but she still had a terrible time getting the council to pay for it. You know what they're like at the best of times!!:grumble: Good luck with it and just give them a hard time for the hell of it, I would.

Natalie ~ Do you kind if I ask why you feel you need to snack in the evening? Are you feeling hungry or is it more of a habit or what we call comfort eating? We all know that feeling and I think you are doing exactly the right thing by getting some fruit and salad bites. I keep bowls of grapes, apricots and other fruit dotted around the house to pick at if I'm tempted. I admit it doesn't always work but certainly more often than not keeps me on the straight and narrow.

Jeri ~ I empathise with you what with the weather being so miserable and you not being able to get out and walk. My weather turned ovenight from warm and sunny to cold, wet and generally awful today so there was no way I felt inclined to go for a walk. Even my aerobics walker seemed too much effort but I've had a severe talk to myself and will do better tomorrow. Spring isn't far off for you now is it, so hang in there!!

Marie ~ Isn't it exciting when fruit bushes start to produce. The birds in my garden eat more than I ever harvest. One year I had two bushes laden with gooseberries and checked in the evening to see if they were ripe and decided I would pick them the following morning. By 9 am every single gooseberry had disappeared!!! It was either the blackbirds or magpies, probably both, but I imagine they would have had the runs for a few days afterwards, serve them right!!!:laugh: Here's a photo I took last year of a blackbird on my lawn that I thought was the culprit stealing my blueberries but it turned out she was eating berries off my Mahonia bush so I didn't mind her hanging around!!

P1000270.jpg

Off to my bed:flowerforyou:

Jackie
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Ooops! Photo too big. Have tried to edit size in photobucket

P1000270.jpg

Jackie

No, give up!!!!
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    A few pages back in this thread there was some discussion of the HCG Diet. I posted some information and overall was quite negative in my comments. In the interest of fairness, I contacted Leigh, who has posted in our thread as "jstalikttlecryz". She is from Northern Wisconsin so we connected. She has been on the HCG diet and I asked her about it. She responded to me and I asked her permission to post what she said here. Again, i am posting this out of fairness. We should always have both sides of the story.

"Yes, I am using HCG. I am a retired nurse and I spent about 3 weeks researching it and talking to different people on other forums about their experiences. And no, it's not that scary. There are many doctors in the country that prescribe it for weight loss
    (my daughter's friend looked into it in Milwaukee, but could not afford what the physcian wanted - $800/mo)

Other I talked to have spent up to $2000 for a 30 day program. I started it February 28 - 2 days of "loading" then started the 500 cal diet on March 2. (I cheated at times during the month just to see what would happen) From March 2 @ 191 lbs to Feb 1st @ 172 lbs...... I was hungry at meal times but easily satisfied with my low calorie meals and sometimes "forgot" to eat till about 7:00-7:30 at night - then thought "I have got to eat my protein and vegtables" No cravings and the simple choices of food made it really easy for me.

Besides getting healthy and losing weight myself I wanted to try it for my daughters sake too. She has had problems with weight since the birth of her kids and tried many diets that just didn't work for her, always putting back more weight than she had lost and becoming completely discouraged with even trying.. .......and then talking about gastric bypass surgery!

Before I left for Ohio I called her and told her what I had been doing and the results I had. I sent her information on the diet and the severe restrictions and gave her some online threads to look at. I stayed with her for 3 days before leaving for Ohio and we talked about it and I made sure she was ready to commit to 30 days of dieting (and her husband too - much need for support)
    and brought along all the supplies she would need for the 30 days. She started April 2 &3 (2 loading days) and the low calorie
    diet on April 4. And she stuck to it! cheating only once when they were out at her cousins and although she avoided the pizza they were serving she did "cheat" with a scoop of ice cream. She lost over 10 lbs in that first week! I told her not to continue to expect that kind of result cause our bodies need to adjust and there will be stalls and maybe even some days with a small gain but just to hang in there for the 30 days........she is gonna do it! I'm so happy for her.

I get the HCG through a Canadian Pharmacy......it's so cheap! less than $20 for about a month supply. You need to purchase other stuff but the cost in small conpaired to what the docs charge.

I will continue with the "phases" on protocol until I reach my goal weight. (a woman I talk to did 3 phases (3- 30 day low calorie periods followed by 6 weeks of stabilaztion) starting last fall and just reached her goal - she lost 80 lbs, feels great and is now on her final phase 3 of the stabilazation part and keeping within 2 lbs of her goal weight) She never plans to "diet"

This is not a diet you stay on longer than 30 days at a time - It is not sustainable for longer than that.....and the stabilazation part is just as important as the diet itself (maybe even more) If you go back to the way you ate before (as with any diet) you will gain all the weight back. But if you follow the protocol and do what they tell you to, you can lose quickly, safely and with a mind set that you can remain at goal weight for the rest of you life. So many people (mostly those who have not tried it or did try it and "failed" due to not following the rules) are online saying it is not safe or too drastic or whatever. But there are also hundreds that say "it works" And I am one of them. "0
    I think Leigh will be dropping in on our thread in the next day or two so if anyone has any questions regarding the above, please direct them to her. And if you don't agree with what she is doing, I trust you will be open minded and fair.

Connie.