Senior Golden Sneakers -April 2011

Options
1192021222325»

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,975 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: we are on our way home :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Jake drove about 550 miles today to get us close to Olympia where we have a meeting with some people at 9:00 tomorrow morning.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Here is the story titled "The Laugh is on us":laugh:
    we chose this motel because of the fitness center, wifi, refrigerator,and microwave.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: we checked in, got settled, and went to the fitness center where at the exact moment Jake started the treadmill, the power went out in the fitness room:laugh: when we went toward the front desk we found the power was out in the hall and lobby so we asked if we had done something wrong starting the treadmill:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: instead it turned out that the power was out not only in our hotel but the one next door so there was no power for the treadmill, wifi, refrigerator, microwave, TV, etc,:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: it was still daylight so we walked around the parking lot that went around both hotels until we both got to our 10,000 steps at which time, the power came back on so we could come to our room, make a shake for dinner, watch TV and go back to the fitness center :laugh:

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: I am so eager to get back to my real life of simple fresh food and no restaurants and dogs and cats in the bed:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: this trip couldn't have been any better but I like my real life.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Sandy, congratulations on reaching your goal:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: you have found the way to get there and still have a few treats and travel and have dinner with people who don't eat healthy:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: I know you'll continue with your good habits as you head toward the next goal :bigsmile: I'm happy to hear that there will be a solution to Babe and Daisy needed care while you go off on your graduation trips:bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: natalie, I know people who have had success with the 17 day diet:bigsmile: :bigsmile: eating fresh whole food is a good basis for health, energy, and weight loss.:bigsmile:

:drinker: about sodium, the best thing to do is eat real, whole food and stay away from anything in a box, pouch, jar, can, or package.:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:drinker: maddie, I hope you are feeling as good as the dancer you posted

:bigsmile: Marie, I like the idea of having a dance before going to bed but we're on the second floor in this hotel so I'd better be light on my feet :laugh:
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Oh, dear,here it is 12:55 AM...can't seem to find time to read and post lately. I think I can't do those long inclusive posts any more, so thank you Sandy or Barbie for freeing me to try to be brief! It became too intimidating:ohwell: ...
    Super Sandy for reaching goal:flowerforyou:
    Shirley and Maddie, in Tai CHi, an exercise for bronchial, asthma, emphasema, etc seems so simple, and perhaps it works: Bring arms to the front about waist level, fingers spread, wrists loose, palms facing down. Now gently push arms to the back, and return to front. The push is ONLY to the back. Repeat about 10 times in the begininng. I found the movement for constipation effective almost immediately! (Gently move left arm in a circle starting at left upper abdomen, and circling to the right, down, and lower abs toward the left and keep repeating. ) For diarrhea, Do the same exercise in reverse, using right arm toward the left side , palm open, in a sweeping circle down and back over lower abs. The hand should just barely graze the area, as it should not rub, but simply create "energy" between abs and hand. After a few practices, I could feel a tingle between my finger tips and the abdomen! AND DON'T MIX UP THE TWO!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Reporting here that since I cut sodium almost in half, my Blood Pressure reading today was 119/69, and pulse 65. Not bad for someone who's hit 210/110! And today was after my circuit class! I have been pretty steady at 140/80 for some time, so today felt truly worth all the planning. Tonight I goofed with Chinese food, but I always get it with no sodium except they can't help it in the soup. We always bring home 1/2 of every order, so portions are not high.

The 17 Day Diet says it includes 4 cycles.
    Accelerate:...dramatically reduce carbs to promote fat burning, cleansing and rapid weight loss
    Activate: .......17 day phase involves carb cycling, to reset metabolism, stimulate fat burning, and prevent plateaus
    Achieve........reintroduce previously restricted foods and learn to develop healthy eating habits
    Arrive..........final phase allows you to maintain goal weight by eating healthy diet during week and indulging favorites on
    weekends.

Emphasis is on clean eating and avoidance of sugar and ALL processed foods.

Recommended foods:...Eggs, turkey breast, chicken breast, seafood, yogurt, grapefruit, berries, lettuce, broccoli, Brussel Sprouts, tomato, cucumber, asparagus, green tea.
    SAMPLE MEAL PLAN:
    Breakfast
    scrambled eggs
    grapefruit
    1 cup green tea
    Lunch
    2 boiled eggs
    large salad, lettuce, carrots, broccoli, onion, tomato
    Snack
    yogurt with fresh berries
    Dinner
    Turkey breast
    Steamed carrots and asparagus

Frankly, I don't know about all those eggs for cholesterol conscious persons, and I wonder if I could stand the boredom! But I've thought about asking my nutritionist about the 17 day diet, or even seeing if I could find a used copy at Amazon. I don't feel the urgency now that I'm back in my jeans! :bigsmile: ...:yawn: (hope I make it to the bed!)

Buzz
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Lol@ Barbie and Jake! Road Warriors! And you have the stories to prove it. Lol, be safe on your homeward drive.
    Marie, thank you for the dance, its raining so hard here in GA, we decided to go to bed until the morning, when we hope to go home. The rain is supposed to let up tomorrow morning. So, I will dance when I get home, ok?
    Buzz, you lost me a few swings back, but I am a slow learner anyway. I didnt know tai chi could aid in so many ways. Ive heard of opening the diaphram, you press hard on your knees with both hands while sitting.
    gnight all,
  • grabbit97
    grabbit97 Posts: 445
    Options
    Emphasis is on clean eating and avoidance of sugar and ALL processed foods.

Recommended foods:...Eggs, turkey breast, chicken breast, seafood, yogurt, grapefruit, berries, lettuce, broccoli, Brussel Sprouts, tomato, cucumber, asparagus, green tea.
    SAMPLE MEAL PLAN:
    Breakfast
    scrambled eggs
    grapefruit
    1 cup green tea
    Lunch
    2 boiled eggs
    large salad, lettuce, carrots, broccoli, onion, tomato
    Snack
    yogurt with fresh berries
    Dinner
    Turkey breast
    Steamed carrots and asparagus

Frankly, I don't know about all those eggs for cholesterol conscious persons, and I wonder if I could stand the boredom! But I've thought about asking my nutritionist about the 17 day diet, or even seeing if I could find a used copy at Amazon. I don't feel the urgency now that I'm back in my jeans! bigsmile ...yawn (hope I make it to the bed!)

Buzz

You are rigfht Buzz, that is correct above for the most part,
    I made it thru Day 1, and it was not to bad....
    I will keep posting on my progress....
    I had to do something, to jump start my metabolism..
    Natalie
  • debzwill
    debzwill Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Hello Sneaker Ladies,

Marie: I was in bed when you posted your dance, but will definately be dancing tonight, as I have a wedding reception to go to. I loved yor dancing fish:bigsmile:

The weather is glorious today, so I am hoping it will carry over to tomorrow for my bluebell walk.

Sandy: So pleased that your stepson is going to help you out, so that you can go to the graduations.:bigsmile:

Natalie: Good luck with the new diet, hope it works well for you:flowerforyou:

Barbie: Your story made me laugh out loud:laugh: :laugh: At least you got it back in the end! Have a safe journey home:flowerforyou:

Phoebe: Is that all hot yoga is? I thought it was something wild:laugh: You too have a safe journey home:flowerforyou:

Buzz: Thanks for the Tai Chi moves. If I can get my head around them, I will be doing them as I suffer from the first complaint, if you know what I mean:wink:

To those who are still not feelig well, I wish you all better very very soon.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

To all you lovely ladies, HAPPY WEEKEND:heart:
  • LUV2CRUZ
    LUV2CRUZ Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Good ugly, windy, rainy, cold Saturday morning!!!

Mom and I are both breathing a little better today. I am on a higher dose of steroids, she is coming down on hers. Hopefully, she will be able to come home on Monday. My hands are shaking, that's one of the side effects but I'll take it. They are also supposed to increase your appetite but that didn't happen yet. I think that the antibiotics are killing the appetite and they are balancing each other out..Woo Hoo.

Sandy, I'm glad all went well for you, everyone is alive and that is a success. When I was working and the boss did those evaluations, she would always ask how you thought you did that year and I always said that "since I didn't kill anyone and no one killed me, I think the year was a good one"! :wink:

If you are having respiratory problems right now, please take it easy, don't push it. Take my advice on this one!!! I am going to try Buzz's suggestion for Tai Chi.......:bigsmile:

And, wow! So many diet choices. Just be careful, the site is called "My Fitness Pal"...emphasis on fitness. Be safe.

Maddie
  • marlouise
    marlouise Posts: 286
    Options
    Goodmorning ladies,

Dark day here, tomorrow will be too so the weather station says. Winter is not giving up, or is it an early fall? Everyone is catching colds, I am surrounded by them. This morning I sneezed three times and my head just filled up. Not much I can do until it breaks. I have dayquill and nightquill handy.

Diet is still strong, my sister just got tired of cold salads last night and cooked up a hot meal. Back to the salads today though. Weigh in this Sunday I'm crossing my fingers another drop in the scale numbers.

Hope all is well here, I will get caught up sometime, my work schedules are mixed up so I am not getting too much time in between the two jobs.

Take care all, and remember to be true to yourself.

Marilyn
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    first of all ,

Barbie glad to see such a long post from you.
    You always give us some wonderful tips and always answer our questions.
    And I have one. now. I love Salads but with creamy dressing and so high in sodium.
    WhAt do you used? I know you used to used the spy bottles , but they did not hit spot for me.

Do any one have a suggesting for me.?

Deb i do hope you do get to go And see the fields of Flowers
    Barbie was ttelling us about some in A festiveAble she went to last year.
    I did not get to go and see our fields of Bluebonnets this year But will post a picture of them
    I did see a few down by Walmart but All of that land is really deveoping And will soon be gone used to be so pretty.

Good luck Natalie on the 17 day diet Will be watching for you updates.

Phoebe wise decision to bunk down with the storms. Be safe

Great for you Buzz getting back in you jeans. I think that is wonderful.

gayla Thanks for the ride down the lake Sounds like so much fun. What is the nameof the lake? I know i have ask before but I have forgotten.

Sandy , How is Babe this morning? Hopefully he is not in any pa

Good morning Judy Good Sunday morning to you

To all the rest have a great day
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,096 Member
    Options
    Happy cloudy, rainy Saturday!! :grumble: :grumble: Could be lot worse according to some weather reports. :tongue:

Day 2 of my hubby's six week recovery with no pressure on his foot. :noway: He is doing okay except for some pain, if the meds don't help more today I will call the doctor and get stronger. He really can't do anything for himself right now so my "nursing" skills are being called upon. I know I must be getting extra exercise this way but I plan on at least riding the bike today and if possible I would like a shred day. A day without exercise really feels horrible to me, I have so much more energy when I exercise. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: That is the good thing with MFP it becomes a way of life and when you don't follow a program, you feel bad, or at least I do. :ohwell:

:flowerforyou: Marilyn, hope you don't catch that cold, start the dayquil early to nip in the bud.

:flowerforyou: : Maddie, our weather is like your weather. Glad that you and grandma are having better days, continued prayers for a rapid recovery.

:flowerforyou: Deb, have fun at the wedding tonight, think of Marie and Maddie's graphics while you are dancing.

:flowerforyou: Natalie, guess the 17 day diet wouldn't work for me since I don't like eggs. Congratulations on day one, 16 to go.

:flowerforyou: Phoebe, rainy nights are the best sleeping nights, hope you got some needed rest.

:flowerforyou: Buzz, thanks for the Tai Chi instructions but like Phoebe I am a slow learner and will have to read them a few times to understand. Great on the lower blood pressure, you are doing everything right.

:flowerforyou: Barbie and Jake, your intent was good but the romantic gods wanted you to have darkness to spend time with each other (if you know what I mean).

:flowerforyou: Marie, I beat you, where are you? Love your fish dancer!! Hope you and Jerry are well.

Hope everyone else is well and for those I don't catch on here I answer on my home page. Have a great day everyone!!
  • Sandydur
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Marie you did beat me :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Yes Sandy I got up early this morning
    Jerry and I are fine

FISHKI134.gif

Thanks Judy for sending me the movie on your garden on facebook.. Your flowers ae so beautiful.
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Yes Sandy I got up early this morning
    Jerry and I are fine

FISHKI134.gif

You and Jerry..the love fish. :heart:
  • Caharleygirl
    Caharleygirl Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone...just a quick to note to say hi...I read everyone's posts but just have so crazy busy this week that I haven't responded. Weather here is So Cal is gorgeous today...upper 70's and sunny. Sorry for everyone in crazy storm weather...hope you are all safe!!!

Sandy...congrats on reaching your goal!!!!!!!! hope hubby is doing good...surgery is always hard.

Natalie...good luck on the 17 day diet sounds more doable than the HCG one...I know I still need to get you some recipes, I will try to do that this evening.

Shirley...hope you are continuing to get better each day.

Marie...wish I had a porch with a view...that's one of the bad things about living in the city...all I see is smog, electricity poles, and lots of houses. Maybe I will talk hubby into going on a harley ride down to see if the poppies are in bloom yet or maybe down to the beach this weekend??? idk the kids were supposed to come over for bbq so don't know if there will be time or not.

Elli...hot yoga sounds really healthy and good for you but I don't think I could do it...if I get too hot, I'm likely to pass out...lol

Buzz...tai chi also sounds really healthy and good for you. I've thought about looking into it several times but never followed through. I would think it would be good for circulation??? so it might be for me???

Everyone else...I'm sorry but this brain can only hold so much new info at one time...lol...I hope you all are having a happy and healthy weekend!!!
  • grabbit97
    Options
    Happy cloudy, rainy Saturday!! :grumble: :grumble: Could be lot worse according to some weather reports. :tongue:

Day 2 of my hubby's six week recovery with no pressure on his foot. :noway: He is doing okay except for some pain, if the meds don't help more today I will call the doctor and get stronger. He really can't do anything for himself right now so my "nursing" skills are being called upon. I know I must be getting extra exercise this way but I plan on at least riding the bike today and if possible I would like a shred day. A day without exercise really feels horrible to me, I have so much more energy when I exercise. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: That is the good thing with MFP it becomes a way of life and when you don't follow a program, you feel bad, or at least I do. :ohwell:

:flowerforyou: Marilyn, hope you don't catch that cold, start the dayquil early to nip in the bud.

:flowerforyou: : Maddie, our weather is like your weather. Glad that you and grandma are having better days, continued prayers for a rapid recovery.

:flowerforyou: Deb, have fun at the wedding tonight, think of Marie and Maddie's graphics while you are dancing.

:flowerforyou: Natalie, guess the 17 day diet wouldn't work for me since I don't like eggs. Congratulations on day one, 16 to go.

:flowerforyou: Phoebe, rainy nights are the best sleeping nights, hope you got some needed rest.

:flowerforyou: Buzz, thanks for the Tai Chi instructions but like Phoebe I am a slow learner and will have to read them a few times to understand. Great on the lower blood pressure, you are doing everything right.

:flowerforyou: Barbie and Jake, your intent was good but the romantic gods wanted you to have darkness to spend time with each other (if you know what I mean).

:flowerforyou: Marie, I beat you, where are you? Love your fish dancer!! Hope you and Jerry are well.

Hope everyone else is well and for those I don't catch on here I answer on my home page. Have a great day everyone!!

Glad to hear that hubby is doing well, not easy after having the procedure that he had, keep him busy MIND wise, does he like to read?

YES, day 2 of the 17 day diet, will embark on the food choices for the day, breakfast was 2 scrambled eggs, some grapes and a tomato, green tea (of course)...

All of you that are in a rainy area, after the rain comes sun, just remember to look to the future.... it was raining in Chicago, where we go back to in a week, 50's, here in Az, it's 97 today, I will adjust, at least I was not there during the winter.

Natalie
  • weagle8183
    weagle8183 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Natalie- I have a friend that did the 17 day diet and still follows the "rules" now with some cheats. She had really good results and loved the food. I know the book has some recipes and if you google "17 day diet" there are other recipes out on the internet.

I made the Oatmeal Chocolate Chip cookies from the skinnytaste.com website yesterday. They are really pretty good. I was trying to find something to do besides eat....baking instead of eating...isn't that sort of like an oxymoron....now I have these low fat cookies staring me in the face and I could eat the whole plate!

Ahhh Temptation ....get thee behind me!!! (or you'll be on my behind)

It is a cold, windy day here in East Tennessee... DH is working today so I think I'll go to my craft room and scrapbook this afternoon.

Have a wonderful day ladies!

Kathy
  • grabbit97
    Options
    Natalie- I have a friend that did the 17 day diet and still follows the "rules" now with some cheats. She had really good results and loved the food. I know the book has some recipes and if you google "17 day diet" there are other recipes out on the internet.

Kathy, yes I have googled 17 day diet, and found some interesting things on it...
    I am waiting for the book to come from Amazon, should be here beginning of next week.
    I sure hope to lose at least 6 pounds or more to get my metabolism jump started....
    I think it does work, and in the 2nd 17 days, you add back carbs, in moderation.

Natalie
  • gigi46
    gigi46 Posts: 196
    Options
    Hello everyone,

Another dark and rainy day in Central Illinois, the wind keep coming from every direction, is cold and ugly.:sad: :sad: :sad:

Maddie - So happy you and your grandma are doing better, sorry about the weather:grumble: :grumble: :grumble: just wanted to tell you that you made a great point "this site is called My Fitness Pal emphasis on fitness.:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:that dancing girl is so precious, keep them coming.

Sandy - So glad to hear Babe is doing well and little pain, good job on your exercises today:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Marie - Loved the fish dancing, so cute.:heart::heart: :heart:

Elli - Hope your weather changed and you were able to walk the dogs:happy: :happy: :happy:

Buzz - You are doing so Fantastic keeping track of your food:heart::heart: :heart:

Phoebe - Keep away from all those people with colds take your Vitamin C and make sure you rest, hope the weather is better:love::love: :love:

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Gigi
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    You've probably heard this one, but I thought it was cute:

Little Johnny is always being teased by the other neighborhood boys for being stupid. Their favorite joke is to offer Johnny his choice between a nickel and a dime -- Little Johnny always takes the nickel.

One day, after Johnny takes the nickel, a neighbor man takes him aside and says, "Johnny, those boys are making fun of you. Don't you know that a dime is worth more than a nickel, even though the nickel's bigger?"

Johnny grins and says, "Well, if I took the dime, they'd stop doing it, and so far I've made $20!"

:laugh: :laugh:
  • LUV2CRUZ
    LUV2CRUZ Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    That joke is funny and a good life lesson!!

Maddie :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: