Quitting Smoking and Dieting Support

Options

Replies

• craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    ha ha, Carl LOL

does anyone have dreams about smoking? i don't think i've had any before, even when i WAS smoking. but this past week, i've had TWO dreams about it. they were both about me smoking. it freaks me out cuz in the dreams i was enjoying it. at first it was like, "just one", then "just one pack", then "just this week", and so on. i don't WANT to smoke, but i'm worried about the future. like in 10 years when i get too comfortable and relaxed with this whole "quit" thing, that i might think i can handle just having one.

i dunno. stupid dreams!! they make me thing about weird things LOL
  • Lttlbird
    Lttlbird Posts: 51
    Options
    I've had many smokers tell me they had dreams about themselves smoking. My husband smoked many years ago and when I quit, he told me he had a lot of them! So far, I've only had one. I remember feeling soooo guilty in it too!

I hope Carl is still gone, k8es! :)
  • mcdebbie
    mcdebbie Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Bye bye Carl. I can't believe how bad Carl smelled, guess I did not notice since I was so used to him. Now I can smell him yards away!

Only thing I miss about Carl is the reved up metabolism, I have been unable to lose any weight since Carl has been gone. :huh:
  • krb731
    krb731 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    k8es, Carl is an *kitten* and I'm glad you're getting rid of him.

craft, I haven't had a smoke dream in a long time, but I have noticed an increase in wanting a cigarette. The thought just pops up that I could really use one. It usually occurs after a big meal, a few drinks or an uncomfortable situation. Once I go through my list of reasons why I don't need to smoke I feel a slight emptiness. It's the emptiness that has me worried. I know how I can justify the heck out of things and I don't want to do that with this.

Anyway, keep up the work everyone!
  • gavini
    gavini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    does anyone have dreams about smoking?

i have dreamed about smoking a couple times recently, one of the times it played a role in me breaking down and smoking that morning. i shouldnt have let it happen but at least it didnt derail me overall.

i knew that if i went back to my routines that day then it would be like nothing had changed so i think it was important that i found something to do that took me through the 945 to 1030a window which usually the first time i would have a smoke after having 3 or 4 before getting to work. i have been pleasantly surprised that i dont think about getting up for a 10am break anymore at all. for as long as i have had this job - 8 years - i would always smoke around 10 (and about once an hour after that) and would usually see the same people outside from other companies whose addictions needed the same frequency of nicotine replenishment as mine and can remember a couple times that i was in the middle of something or on the phone and started to feel antsy and losing my focus without knowing why until i would look a the clock and realize it was after 10am and Carl was getting impatient.
  • mcdebbie
    Options
    I don't miss Carl so much at work, it seems like I am focusing better and instead of going outside and walking at 10:30 and 11:30 it is only 11:30 now. Afternoons @ 3 are rough, it is usually raining at that time so no walk which leads to chips and a coke. GRRR! Somehow an apple just doesn't cut it. And oddly enough, the stress free weekends are worse, especially after a big lunch out. I wonder if we will ever have the "smoking" genie out of our thoughts/dreams/minds?

Krb, you're over 6 months, right? Why do you think the increased desire?
  • krb731
    krb731 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Krb, you're over 6 months, right? Why do you think the increased desire?
    [/quote]

Well, due to my current job demands I have not been able to workout and eat like I had been for the past few months. I think that's the main problem. 12 hour days, junk food, smoking and stress is what caused me to feel so bad I had to go to the doctor in the first place. Currently, I'm pretty much back to doing everything except smoking. But on the bright side, I'm still not smoking lol.
  • craft338
    Options
    Yesterday was 120 days of not smoking, but Sept. 3rd is the 4 month anniversary, so I'll just celebrate twice :)

I had another smoking dream last night, and was so happy when I woke up and realized I didn't actually smoke. These dreams are getting annoying!

I think my sister is starting to smoke. AND it's the same kind I used to smoke! I saw them in her bathroom and in her car. It wasn't tempting or anything, but she was one of the people who always wanted me to quit, and she saw how hard quitting was, so why would she start smoking now? Why would she leave them around for me to see?

Plus, the guy that I'm seeing is starting to smoke socially, and we all know where that leads! He was the one who got the the e-cig!

I just wish there were no such thing as cigarettes anymore so I wouldn't have to ever see them again!
  • mcdebbie
    Options
    Currently, I'm pretty much back to doing everything except smoking. But on the bright side, I'm still not smoking lol.
    Good for you, hope you can stick with it!
  • mcdebbie
    Options
    I think my sister is starting to smoke. AND it's the same kind I used to smoke! I saw them in her bathroom and in her car. It wasn't tempting or anything, but she was one of the people who always wanted me to quit, and she saw how hard quitting was, so why would she start smoking now? Why would she leave them around for me to see?

Plus, the guy that I'm seeing is starting to smoke socially, and we all know where that leads! He was the one who got the the e-cig!

I just wish there were no such thing as cigarettes anymore so I wouldn't have to ever see them again!

wow, did you say anything to your sister? Maybe you should remind her how hard it was to quit. And the guy you are seeing, does he know what you've gone through? That would be so hard I think. Hope it all works out.

I had the worst craving today (one month) that I have had since quitting. I really had the $$ out at Wal-greens until I saw they were $7.50 a pack!!! WTH? That's more than I pay for lunch! I'm just glad I don't live in N Carolina or someplace where they are cheap. (well, used to be, wonder if they still are cheaper in the tobacco states? )
  • craft338
    Options
    $7.50?? they're over $10 where i live!!

i'm so happy i quit! according to quitnet.com i saved over $400 in 4 months :bigsmile:
  • k8es
    k8es Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Greetings quitters! I'm on my 11th day which means I made it through "hell week".

Carl figured out that he had to move out, so now he just comes to visit too often. Hopefully the jerk will get the idea that he's no longer welcome at all ... but small steps. Sometimes I miss him but there have been many times when I was grateful to not have him around (i.e. not having to stock up for Carl during hurricane preparation!).

I must admit that the rest of my health journey kind of came to a halt to focus on carl but like krb said, at least I'm not smoking. I hope to refocus on my food and workouts next week.

craft338 that's tough to see your sister go through the same thing with smoking that you did. As for the guy, that may be even tougher. My boyfriend quit before we started dating and then started again after being around me. I ALWAYS felt guilty about that. The guy might not mind smoking around you and you may even provide the motivation he needs to quit (look what you did for all of us strangers!)
  • craft338
    Options
    I'm on my 11th day which means I made it through "hell week".

good job on getting through hell week!! :drinker: now, it gets easier every day! after about a month, you'll go half the day and be like "wow, i totally didn't even THINK about cigarettes today!!" and it's gonna feel awesome!

great job so far, and good luck on the rest of your journey!
  • lakersfan4life
    lakersfan4life Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    nobody likes a quitter!

i kid, i kid.

smoked for 17 years or so. was smoking over a pack a day. i quit back in October so almost 1 year!!!!!

believe me, for those of you quitting, it gets better. and its so worth it!

i even made it through an entire weekend in Vegas last month and didnt smoke!!!
  • mcdebbie
    Options
    k8es, congrats on getting to day 11!

Most annoying thing for me was the halt in my weight loss, I am just now seeing some movement after a month. Not that it made me want to start smoking again but it was annoying to do all the things I had been doing and not seeing the scale move. At least I didn't gain.

Lakersfan, congrats on 11 months!
  • craft338
    Options
    i saw my cousin yesterday for the first time in a long time. after dinner, he casually gave me the hand signal from across the room to meet him outside for a smoke. this is what we always used to do, because our parents and grandparents still don't know we smoke (or smokED, in my case) even though we're 26 and 27 years old LOL

anyway, i mouthed, "I QUIT!", and he just stared at my for a few seconds looking confused, as if saying, "who ARE you?"

this is the same cousin, who yelled "HOLY SH**, WHAT THE F*** HAPPENED TO YOU?!?" when i walked into the room an hour earlier LOL

i took it as a compliment :bigsmile:

ps - day 125 for me :drinker:
  • gavini
    Options
    thats great, sounds like a great day all around craft338, sounds like you werent tempted at all to join your smoking pal after dinner, thats really cool. i havent given in but i have been really wanting a smoke at least once every day the last week or so.

44 out of 47 and 14 days in a row smoke free for me and i have lost 8 lbs in that stretch

btw, you look great in your before and after pics! must be exciting for you to be able to see the difference and the proof of the work you have put in.
  • laurad1406
    Options
    i saw my cousin yesterday for the first time in a long time. after dinner, he casually gave me the hand signal from across the room to meet him outside for a smoke. this is what we always used to do, because our parents and grandparents still don't know we smoke (or smokED, in my case) even though we're 26 and 27 years old LOL

anyway, i mouthed, "I QUIT!", and he just stared at my for a few seconds looking confused, as if saying, "who ARE you?"

Haha I quit on Dec 31st, and I have one friend who EVERY time she sees me (which granted is only once every couple months) will nod her head to try to pull me away from the crowd to go smoke...and every time I have to tell her "remember? I quit"...and EVERY time I hear "oh *kitten*, that's right! DA**IT, who is gonna smoke with me now!?"
  • gavini
    Options

I have one friend who EVERY time she sees me (which granted is only once every couple months) will nod her head to try to pull me away from the crowd to go smoke...and every time I have to tell her "remember? I quit"...and EVERY time I hear "oh *kitten*, that's right! DA**IT, who is gonna smoke with me now!?"

not proud of it but i have been that guy before, the bad influence asking a former smoking buddy to join me when i forgot (purposely or not) that they quit
  • charm_quark
    charm_quark Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Good luck everyone...
    On Sunday, it's my 6month quitting smoking day!!! And this is the report for today....

You have quit smoking for:
    25 weeks, 5 days, 10 hours and 48 mins.

You have saved:
    774.13 Euros by NOT smoking 3,970 cigarettes!