most insensitive gift ever...

Options

Replies

• That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    I had been with my bf for three years and he kept saying he got me this diamond pendant that I had been dreaming about that year! During Christmas time, when we'd be at the mall, he'd say, "Oooh there's your pendant!" when we'd pass jewelry stores.

Christmas came....and.....he gave me his gift!

I freakin VACUUM!

Wtf.

I pouted and he said, "Oh, probably should have really bought the pendant, huh?" Uh.....WTF?!?!

I wouldn't have minded the vacuum (as I loooove new house stuff) if he hadn't built up the pendant for months.

We ended our relationship a couple months later (not because of this but other issues) and the vacuum broke 4 months later. LOL.

The next Christmas, my GRAMMA bought me the pendant :love: Which makes it very special to me now.
  • That_Girl
    Options
    My MIL gave me a toothbrush for christmas three years in a row.

HAHAHAHAHA What?!?! That is most bizarre.

My ex-MIL gave me some ugly earrings once for Christmas. She said, "I never liked this and I want you to have them."

HAHAH What??! I never understood that....but it's not my problem now! WHEW! My husband has no mother. Awesome.
  • That_Girl
    Options
    I have one more...from when I was a child. This has scarred me for life :laugh:

I was 8. My cousins were 6 and 7. We were at my grandparents' for Christmas Eve and could open our gift from them. YAYYY!!!

SO EXCITED!

My cousin opened a new basketball. OMG He was SOOO excited. :love:

My other cousin opened a My Little Pony with a play castle thing. WOOT! MY TURN NOW!!!

I got the box, and ripped it open...hmm...A toaster? No, Gramma says, that's just the box. WHEW!

SO I RIP into the box and pull out a big package of.....UNDERWEAR.

:noway: :sad:

I stood up and threw the package on the floor and said, THIS IS NOT A GIFT! THIS IS STUPID!

:laugh:

This mortified my mother who always taught me to be grateful so I was sent to my Gramma's guestbedroom for the rest of the night.

I never wore that underwear. I also have NEVER bought clothes for my children's gifts. Well, I do now for my 12 year old, but now it's a cool thing to get clothes for gifts...but NEVER underwear. Omg.
  • Lettey
    Lettey Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    For our wedding we had a certain family member beg for an invitation. This family member came with a guest and gave us a set (6) of wine glasses from the dollar store. Worse part was 2 or 3 of them had lip/lipstick prints on them...so they were used!
  • xdannigirl
    xdannigirl Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    All of these presents are from my father. My parents seperated when I was 9 months old and he moved to the USA (I live in Canada).

Haha I was 2 years old...my sister (about 11) got a portable CD player from my father. I got overalls. Even at 2 years old I understood that clothes were no fun!

5 years old...sister got a tv, i got a Flick doll (as in A Bug's Life).

9 years old...my mom told him to get us both N64 games. She got Quake 1 and 2 (a first person shooter game) and I got Tigger's Honey Hunt. I don't know what's worse...the fact that he thought that at 9 years old I wanted a Winnie the Pooh game or the fact that I couldn't even beat it.

13 years old. My mom gave me a brand new film camera for my birthday (he watched me open it). Two weeks later, he came into town with his old digital camera. They didn't even sell memory cards for it anymore and it was missing a bunch of accessories (ie. USB cord).

15 years old. HIS OLD LAPTOP. That was broken. He told me when he gave it to me that the speakers were a bit staticky and the power cord was messed up, but he didn't have time to fix either problem. The thing broke within 3 weeks.

This one is from my first boyfriend (about 15 years old):

He liked puzzles and video games. I like video games too, but not excessively. The weeks coming up to Christmas he kept telling me how much I was going to love my present, and I told him the same. I got him a pyramid puzzle that when put together, you could figure out what the heiroglyphics meant. He LOVED it. What did I get? A PS2 memory card so that I didn't have to start over everytime I wanted to play Guitar Hero. Hello, it's called UNLOCKING CHEATS.
  • crazymama2two
    crazymama2two Posts: 867
    Options

Ok, BEST gift I ever gave was for Christmas, 1990. I had been searching for it for six months, and finally found it in the trash of a flea market...and had to beg the proprietor to take 5 cents for it.

I sent it to my sister in an envelope, unwrapped, with no note. It arrived broken. When she got it, she called me up, and we've been best friends every since. We hadn't spoken for 10 years.

What was the gift?!

Well, there's a long story that goes with it..Here's a picture of one very much like it. (Too bad eBay wasn't around then...it wouldn't have taken me 6 months to find one!)

http://www.artfire.com/modules.php?name=Shop&op=listing&product_id=2784105

As to why it was the BEST gift ever, my sister and I grew up on the site of a Cheyenne village. We were always finding arrowheads and other artifacts.

We found a little doll, about an inch tall, made out of a solid, non-glossy white hard stuff. We fought over it. And we lost it. Weeks or months later, we would find it again, in a completely different part of the farm. We would fight over it, and eventually lose it again. This happened many times as we were growing up. Eventually, it was lost, and I forgot about it.

For me, it was just a kinda neat little thing that I didn't want my sister to think SHE owned, just 'cause she was the biggest! But I found out after that Christmas that she thought it was carved out of bone, and because it kept turning up in different places, she thought it was magic.

We had a falling out in our early twenties, and didn't speak for 10 years or more. But one year, someone dear to me gave me a little porcelain figure that reminded me of that doll, and I got it in my head that I wanted to find one, and that I wanted to give it to my sister.

I guess, to me, that symbolized giving up all the jealousy I had felt to her, letting her be who she was, and letting me be who I am. Who knows what it meant to her!

She was right, after all--in the end, it did turn out to be magic.

ajwwwwwwwwwww.....
  • crazymama2two
    crazymama2two Posts: 867
    Options
    One Valentines day, my boyfriend ( now EX husband ) set me up a plate of food for Valentines dinner. As I sat down to eat with him, I realized his mom made it. ( we were living with her at the time ) so while we are eating the Valentines dinner his mom made... he pulls out a ring.. while still sitting across the table from me, and asks me to marry him... doesn't even get up out of his chair. Then I find out weeks later that his mom bought my ring! When we got married years later, she didn't even come to our wedding. Nice.

WTF??!!! thank god they are able to be exes :)
  • victoriashea
    victoriashea Posts: 112
    Options
    One of my good friends has a birthday that lands two days before mine. We have a mutual friend who (apparently) loves baking because she shows up at every get together with cupcakes and/or cookies. At his party there was a lovely spread of baked goods. At my party there was the SAME lovely spread of baked goods... except stale. And half eaten.
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    this is a great thread!

The worst I ever got was from a boyfriend on my birthday. I was sort of expecting jewelry. He got me a wooden spoon at Walmart. "because you like to make soup" he said. So, I refrained from commenting and continued opening more presents.

A slotted spoon. .. A big soup ladel...A smaller ladel... I don't remember the rest. Like 6 spoons.

Another one was my MIL the second christmas I spent at her house. She gave me a present that I HAD GIVEN HER THE PREVIOUS YEAR!
  • mightymom2
    mightymom2 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Me = borderline diabetic...so I stay away from sweets as much as possible

day = Valentine's day :heart:

gift = a lovely box of sugar laden chocolate :noway:
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    This is my mom's gift that only SEEMED horrible, from my dad, on Valentine's day, many years ago.

Now, mind, this is a man who buys her yellow roses every year for V-day (because her favorite color is yellow) and sneaks the card into her car before she leaves for work. Then they go out to dinner, etc.

One year he left her a card, and a new key-fob with remote start that he'd had installed. My mother HATED it and sulked and groused about it for days. She figured that HE'D wanted remote start and hadn't wanted to think about what she'd wanted that year. My poor father was so perplexed.

And then we had a big snow storm... and what do you know she now says it was one of the best Valentine's day gifts ever. :laugh: :laugh:
  • dendra7
    dendra7 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    My hubby is fickle and didn't want something new or for me to spend a bunch of cash on Christmas a couple years ago - noble but a pain. So, I found his cherished box of GI Joe figures from his childhood .I spent a lot of time and energy taking my husband's childhood GI Joe figures and placing them in a shadow box ( 40 of the things were all hand sewn into a fabric piece with fishing line by hand). It was cheap, not new and close to his heart.

And what did he get me that year? 3 lottery tickets (dollar tickets mind you)

And they were all losers.:huh:
  • KPstartingover
    KPstartingover Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I have laughed so hard at this thread :laugh:

Here's one: For our wedding gift 18 years ago, my MIL spent a great deal of time cross-stitching a wall hanging (and I know it took a long time because I cross-stitch). Would have been a lovely gift except SHE SPELLED MY NAME WRONG!!!!!!! Seriously, could she not have looked on the invitation???
  • supershiny
    supershiny Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    These are so hilarious! I had to add my own:

My grandmother is notorious for her second-hand, inappropriate gifts. She always "tries things out" to see what they are like before she sends it your way. Some gems have been: a $20 gift certificate with $15.03 on it, a bottle of lotion that was partially empty, a flier from her church (so I could learn about the "real" faith and not subsume to "popery"), and, the most insensitive of all, a microdermabrasion kit. "So I could fix myself up and get a boyfriend." :P

Another great one was my first boyfriend; he went to Ireland and made a big deal about the present he was going to bring me. When he came home, I was really excited to see him and to get my prezzie because I thought it was going to be a pendant necklace he had mentioned. I opened the box he gave me (which was oddly large for a necklace) and pulled out... a calendar. For that year. It was October.
  • That_Girl
    Options
    One Valentines day, my boyfriend ( now EX husband ) set me up a plate of food for Valentines dinner. As I sat down to eat with him, I realized his mom made it. ( we were living with her at the time ) so while we are eating the Valentines dinner his mom made... he pulls out a ring.. while still sitting across the table from me, and asks me to marry him... doesn't even get up out of his chair. Then I find out weeks later that his mom bought my ring! When we got married years later, she didn't even come to our wedding. Nice.

WTF??!!! thank god they are able to be exes :)

LOL I would have said a big NO to that guy. :laugh: Hindsight, no?
  • FK1983
    FK1983 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    My ex gave me his old play station 2 for my 21st birthday so he could have room to get the newer one at the time. I don't even play video games.
    Sorry but that made me laugh! :laugh:
  • wheatley1212
    Options
    My aunt-in-law, basically my mother-in-law (she raised my husband) gave me paper towels, dish soap, toilet paper, soap, laundry detergent, towels, dryer sheets, etc. My husband says that aunt Eddie gives that to everyone who joins the family, as a christmas gift for the first two years. I knew what I was getting for the next christmas.
  • SammyPacks
    SammyPacks Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    One of my ex's mom gave me lingerie for xmas... awkward

LOOOL!!! OMG AWKWARD!!!
  • heather0416
    heather0416 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Forgot to add.. my ex-husband that proposed to me with the ring his mom paid for... also gave my mom a vibrator for Christmas the first year we were together... common sense... he has none!
  • heather0416
    heather0416 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    For our wedding we had a certain family member beg for an invitation. This family member came with a guest and gave us a set (6) of wine glasses from the dollar store. Worse part was 2 or 3 of them had lip/lipstick prints on them...so they were used!

LOL! How tacky!