Loserville Challenge 3 (CLOSED GROUP)

Options

Replies

• chiliflea
    chiliflea Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    No problem Jenni - will do the reminder tomorrow....

E for Exercise...

Well I guess I've been keepin on with the kettlehell and boxercise... You all know I love the boxercise... I strongly advise everyone to find a local class and give it a go... It's so much fun and you get to hit things! Bonus! The hour passes so quickly....

Kettlehell is a different "kettle" of fish (sorry!)... I think I do enjoy it when I'm there and I can now do most of the exercises with my own 4.5kg weight! When I started I could just about manage 2kg! Now I alternate between my 4.5kg and a 3kg (and sometimes just use my bottle of water if I get too tired!!) but I NEVER get a 2kg anymore... And there and thin people there who use a 2kg and complain it's too heavy!

30 day shred is the thorn in my side at the moment! So far I've managed it every day this week... My body is aching but I'm determined to at least do it for the full week before I take a rest... I'll have to take a rest from Sunday as I'm going to visit my aunt in Kent so won't be able to shred (would be tricky trying to shred in a hotel room with 2 kids and OH watching!) but I'll get back to it on the wednesday I get home as there's no classes next week because the instructor is away on holiday...

Anyhoo - don't know if this is what was meant by Exercise but there we go!

Happy Thursday peeps! OH is off to play golf with my dad :yawn: so I will be having a nice day at home with my baby girl Fearan... Might walk her down to playgroup this afternoon - will see what time she decides to nap!
  • FizzingWhizbee
    FizzingWhizbee Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Damn I missed yesterday!!! Okay a health tip for yesterday... Let's go for the one we all know we should be doing. Water, water and more water. :)

...And for today, E for Exercise!

I'm doing a combination of:

Zumba Wii - I love this. It makes me ache like hell the next day, but I do have a lot of fun doing it. For anyone who is or wants to do this, please don't do what I did. I made the mistake of doing one session without trainers on. No ankle support and a lot of pain the next day.

30 Day Shred - Okay, I do believe that Jillian Michaels in on some kind of mission to actually kill me. I shout at her most days when doing this. I feel like I want to die after doing this, but I keep going back so it must be working.

Wii Fit - I use this mostly for the step, the boxing, the hula hoop and the balance. It's truly helped my balance a lot. I have a bad back and I tend to put my weight through one leg more than the other. The Wii Fit has made me aware of it and now I can actually feel myself trying to correct it when I'm out and about.

Walking - I'm trying to do as much walking as I can. Even if I'm walking slowly, I'd rather be doing that than getting on a bus.

I'd really like to get back into swimming. It's something I love but haven't quite got the the stage yet where I feel comfortable enough in my costume to go to a public pool. I know I'll get there eventually, so when I do, I'll be able to have completed another goal. :)

Also wanted to say a belated Happy Birthday to Rach. Sorry I wasn't really about yesterday and missed it. Hope you had a fantastic day hun. :)
  • chiliflea
    Options
    I should get back into wii zumba - I bought it and think I've used it once?! Same with my wii sports active 2.... Did one full challenge and then haven't done it since - should really get on it again....
  • rachypompa
    rachypompa Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    E for exercise

I love exercise now! I love how it makes me feel ...

My top tips would be running related, as I never thought I'd be able to run like I can now! My running has improved so much by improving the strength in my legs by doing squats and lunges, another thing that has really helped me is interval training, sprinting a lampost then jogging a lampost ... and then the killer, hill sprints. I honestly think sprinting up hills has been the single thing that has had the most impact on improving my running pace!

Wooohooo! Tomorrow is my last day of working fulltime, school holidays for 2 weeks, then back to part time. I totally feel like I've got my Mojo back, and I think it's knowing that that is over!!

xx
  • chiliflea
    Options

Wooohooo! Tomorrow is my last day of working fulltime, school holidays for 2 weeks, then back to part time. I totally feel like I've got my Mojo back, and I think it's knowing that that is over!!

xx

We have school holidays for 6 weeks now... Should be able to fit gym and classes in around my son being home but it's going to be tricky! By the end of the 6 weeks I may be in the corner chewing my own toenails....
  • poorcopies
    poorcopies Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    E is for Exercise

Well, my big love is swimming! I swim a fair bit and I also do standard cardio in the gym. When I get back, I am going to do the 30 Day Shred with my boyfriend (he said he'd do it as well, bonus!) and I want to get a Wii fit. I also walk everywhere because I don't drive! When on holiday I am going to try and counter act all the delicious junk food and booze by swimming everyday!
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    E for Ecercise...truth is I haven't been gettign enough. i know that is why my weight has not really moved. I depend on those exercise cals. I miss all teh classes at the gym that are now inconvenent since I moved 30 min away from the gym. But i have come up with new class options nad times.

right now my main exercise is walking and softball. My favorite exercise is yoga and treadmill incline intervals. that treadmill reall works my butt. I plan to add in more swimming and a 6am sculpt class before work.

Jenni good for you working out last night like that. i don't think it is too late. you may flucuate but I think you counteracted the cals.

Claire - I assume boxercise is similar to kickboxing. I think i will try it in the near future. I alway wait until after TOM to add somthign new incase I get lucky and get pregnant.

Nikki - if you love swimming i think you shoudl go. I bet you look better than you think and anyone that gives you a bad look should just get your pity b/c they are obviously petty and sad.

becci _ i hope your vacation plan works swimming is such good exercie :)

Rach - i am so not a runner but I love your tips. i might just have to throw a few sprint into my work outs.
  • chiliflea
    Options
    Courtney - when you say treadmill incline intervals what do you mean? Do you just increase the incline every minute or so or how does it work? Sounds like something I'd like to try x

I went over cals tonight.... It was my son's last day at school before the holidays so my dad treated us to a mcdonalds and I had a big mac meal.... with mcflurry.... naughty naughty.... I've exercised some of them back and ended up 130 over which wasn't TOO bad but still - WAY over on sodium....

I ended up doing 30ds level 1 and half of level 2 to burn 312 cals (HRM).... man was it tough!!
  • idahogirl71
    idahogirl71 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    Only have a sec to check in --- working right now and not supposed to be on the computer so have to be quick.....anyway

This week's NSV -- actually happened yesterday after my fishing trip. My grandmother, though she tries to encourage me on this journey, is also my biggest weakness and downfall. When I am with her we always go out to eat and she knows I LOVE fast food. Normally I will eat fries because those are my absolute favorite food. We went to Wendy's yesterday and though she sat and ate fries and a milk shake (also my fave combo....love to dip the fries in the shake), I had a side salad with low-fat dressing and a diet coke. My entire "snack" was 40 calories. she kept offering me fries, but I remained strong and resisted. I am very proud of that accomplishment even though later in the day I ate two cookies. I know the cookies were way fewer in calories than any of my fave foods at Wendy's would have been.

Be back later to post my E for Exercise -- love to all
  • chiliflea
    Options
    It's Friday so it can only be R - Recipes/Food ideas!

I made some lovely cupcakey things for a friend's party a few weeks ago just using a cake mix and a can of pepsi max.... They were a bit sticky but tasted great! The topping was delish too - extra light soft cheese (philadelphia) with chocolate melted into it... Could have just eaten that by itself to be honest!!

Today I'm cross.... I've put on... AGAIN! 2lbs! HOW??!! I'm really starting to wonder if it's worth it! ok I know I had a maccie d last night but it's not every bloody day! I just want to get under that 260 but it's like it's never going to happen! Every time I get anywhere near it I put on again! I totally feel like I'm fighting a losing battle and I feel like I just want to SCREAM!

What can I do to kick start things again?!
  • rachypompa
    rachypompa Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Recipes ... hmmm ... hard to choose one ...

Quinoa salad ... Cook up some quinoa, mix in chopped feta/ goats cheese, cherry toms halved, almonds toasted, capsicum chopped (nice roasted if you can be bothered!), other veges are nice too mushrooms, courgette (roasted) ... then stir through one of those low cal vinaigrette things ... honey and mustard or whatever takes your fancy ... and voila!

Roasted mediterranean veges - a couple of aubergines (eggplants) and a few courgettes both cut into sixths lengthways, red onions and red capsicums in sixths, mushrooms whole, toss in a baking tray of 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar, add a bit of salt and pepper then roast on quite high (220 deg C) for about 20 mins, tossing every 5 mins

Easy roasted tofu ... line baking tray with foil to save on washing up! Firm tofu cubed mixed with BBQ sauce, bake at about 220 deg c for 25-30 mins, stirring every 10 mins. Can add onions, mushrooms peppers to this too ...

A couple of my fav summer salads ... beetroot and walnut ... tin of beetroot drained, 1/4 cup walnuts toasted and chopped, bag of green salad, olive oil and lemon juice dressing ... yummy! and orange and almond ... a couple of small oranges in segments, 1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds, bag of green salad and low cal honey and mustard dressing ...

Hmmm ... It seems most of the things I like are out of season ... I need to work on some winter recipes!

Well, I'm expecting another gain this week, what with my birthday and all ... I've eaten a lot of yummy food, but no worries. Finishing work has given me my mojo back, I know I can do this now. It's a shame that my goal weight date will be later than I had envisaged, but at least it's still there!

Tami - well done with your NSV, it's the hardest thing of all sometimes to resist temptation! Well done you x

Claire - Clean eating is the solution, limit your sugar intake, maximise your protein intake, drink lots of water. Lets see if we can both have a full week of good quality healthy eating!
  • jellyfishjen
    jellyfishjen Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone back after my overnight stay in the city. Went in with the best intentions but they dont seem to last long I really have to get this under control. Tami you did so well resisting the fast food, I want to do what you did. I will try and log what I ate today. But it is bad and shameful. to counter act it I would probably have to pedal till dawn. :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

Ok I'm not giving a recipe. But one of my favourite quick meal is a packet of Aldi's frozen oriental stir fry vegies. It says serves 4 but i eat the lot and its around 100 calories. I add generally 2 vegie sausages to it for protein. So i think the whole meal is just under 300 calories and very filling because I eat all the vegie. Depends on which sausages I use for calorie count. The quorn brand are much lower then our sanitarium brand.

So for a quick healthy low cal meal, grab a packet of stir fry vegie add a serve of protein and a splash of soy sauce. Quick and easy.

Claire, hang in there the scale will move in the right direction in time. its not fair how one bad meal can really affect our outcome. Can take a week to lose 300gms but can put 700gms on overnight. But you have come along way and disregarding the number on the scale. Just think of one thing you can do now that you couldn't 12 months ago. I can do up my own shoelaces with ease. So its worth it.

Exercise is such an important part of our well being. Its great that we have all found some that we like. I really like zumba and I'm starting to look forward to doing my C25K on the treadmill. I miss aquaerobics, just cant seem to find the time to get there, and I really miss ballet. Must try harder to do the ones I really love.
  • jellyfishjen
    Options
    Wow thanks Rachel, great recipes. Question with that Quinoa stuff? I have finally found it in the supermarket and I bought the flakes which cooked up a bit like mashed potato. But I notice there is also some that looks like 100 and 1000s. tiny little dots. which should I use?

Great advice for Claire and I agree. Clean eating. After todays slip up, I am definetly going clean. Must make this journey count.
  • chiliflea
    Options
    The quinoa I've used is a grain a bit like cous cous? So yes the 100s and 1000s one is probably the right one to use for salads... I have a great chicken quinoa curry recipe actually.... I think I posted it in a thread sometime ago... I've just dug it out so...

1 tbsp oil or 10 sprays fry light
    2 chicken breasts, cubed
    1 medium onion, chopped
    5 cloves garlic, crushed
    1tsp curry powder (I used medium)
    1tsp garam masala
    1tsp ground cumin
    1 cup uncooked quinoa, well rinsed
    1 cup stock (I used chicken stock)
    1 cup reduced fat coconut milk
    1 cup brocolli

Brown the chicken in the pan with the oil.
    Add the onion and garlic and fry until soft but not brown
    Stir in the spices
    Add the quinoa and the liquids and bring to the boil
    Add in the brocolli, cover and cook for about 15 minutes or until most of the liquid has been absorbed.

(This last bit was trial and error with me... I kept tasting it and stopped cooking when I thought the quinoa was done... Even had to add a bit more liquid as I felt it wasn't cooked enough!!)

I've worked out the calorie content by putting it all into the recipe thing on here and the calorie content for the whole dish is 1320kcal (I think it serves 2 , possibly 3 but you can decide for yourselves and divide accordingly).

It's very filling.... obviously you can adjust the spices to taste...

I'm proud of my calorie burn today... 821... AND I've done 5 days of 30ds consecutively! Will do it tomorrow and then will have to take probably 3 or 4 days off until I get back from my road trip to kent...

Me and my mum are going to try and be really good while we're away.... Fingers crossed!

Right. I stink.. I'm off for a shower!
  • jellyfishjen
    Options
    Great burn Claire. Buying quinoa next shop. :) Great job with the Jillian.
  • fuhrmeister
    Options
    Claire - I walk on the readmill for 30 min. I start at in incline of 0 and increase every 2 min until I reach 14 and then begin to come back down. When I started i walked at a 2.2 mph speed. Before I took a gym break I was up to 2.8 mph. The trainer a tteh gym who suggested this said the incline is better than more speed b/c it's really working the muscle sin the legs and butt and therefore building more muscle which helps burn fat.

Don't get discouraged. I am having trouble jumpstartign my weightloss as well. I think one that that helps me is all the water i drink to flush my sodium. I also think trying new exercises helps "confuse" your body and you burn more cals. Good luck.

Everyone's recipies loog yummy.

Rach and Clare thanks for the quinoa recipies I'v ebeen wantign to try it.

Jenni - I am so with you on the aldi stir fry. it's my go to espically on none work out days. I add shrimp for protein

I personally love Rachael Ray. Not all her meals are healthy but some are and some of them you can make healthy swaps to make them better. I love her Salsa Stoup she serves it with quesodillas but the soup alone is 144cal for 1/6 of the recipie I have coppied the calorie info from my mfp recipies below. Swap veggie stock to make vegetarian. Swap in homemade stock for less sodium. I top with light sour cream or plain greek yogurt. I hope you enjoy. for cooking instructions look at foodnetwork.com

A - Fats - Oil Olive Evoo 1 Tbsp, 2 tbsp 240
    Peppers - Jalapeno, raw, 2 pepper 8
    Peppers, Green, Bell Fresh - Peppers, Green, Bell, 1 Cup 30
    Generic - Yellow Onion, 1 cup 64
    Celery - Raw, 3 stalk, medium (7-1/2" - 8" long) 17
    Garlic - Raw, 3 cloves 13
    Tomatoes - Red, ripe, cooked, stewed, 3.5 cup 279
    Happy Harvest - Aldi - Crushed Tomatoes, 2 cup 200
    Aa L-Fresh - Cilantro, 0.15 cup 1
    Aldi Fit & Active - Chicken Broth, 2 cup 10

Happy friday ladies. have a great weekend.
  • jellyfishjen
    Options
    Great idea on the treadmill, Courtney. I'm going to give it a go. Thanks for asking the question Claire. Haven't used my incline button yet.
  • chiliflea
    Options
    I like incline walking and it would seem I have done some incline interval inadvertently! Will be trying out your method next time I'm in the gym for a cardio session though Courtney.... Oh and I'll DEFINITELY be trying that salsa stoup! Sounds delicious! Going to pass the recipe on to my veggie friend too!
  • fuhrmeister
    Options
    Came back to copy a print recipies.

BTW i losr 0.2lbs this week. Techinally more sicne I had to lose vacation weight but I am at 213.6. Hoping to hit onedelad by my cruise.

Jenni and Clair I hope the treadmill intervals work for you. I really feel like they helped me a lot and I hope to get back to them soon. Don't feel bad if you have to hold on at the top inclines I do too :)

Still trying to ge tthe computer to work properly may have to take it back to teh geek squad. So if I'm not around this weekend I promise to be back Monday.

So for Swap saturday I recomend greek yogurt for regular yogurt it has more protein adn will keep you full longer. i love it for breakfest. You can also use plain grrek yogurt for sour cream.

Have agreat weekend.
  • FizzingWhizbee
    FizzingWhizbee Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Hey all

Here's my recipe for the day. I found it a while ago online somewhere and it's a nice dinner option.

Serves 4 - Calories per person 330 - Fat 6.8g

Ingredients:
    2 skinless chicken breast halves, diced into 1 inch cubes
    cooking spray
    1/2 tsp each of dried oregano and dries basil
    salt and fresh pepper
    8 oz spaghetti (whole grain if poss)
    2 cups cherry tomatoes or similar, halved
    6 (or less, depending on your garlic likes or dislikes) cloves garlic, smashed and coarsely chopped
    4 tsp extra virgin olive oil
    4 tbsp chopped fresh basil

Directions:

Bring a large pot of slightly salted water to boil.

Season chicken with salt, pepper, oregano and basil. Heat a large skillet on high heat. When hot, spray with oil and add chicken. Cook about 3-4 minutes, until no longer pink. Remove chicken and set aside.

Add pasta and cook according to package directions. Reserve about 1/2 cup pasta water before draining.

While pasta cooks, add olive oil to skillet on high heat. Add garlic and sauté until golden brown. Add tomatoes and reduce heat to medium-low. Sauté about 4-5 minutes. When pasta is drained, add pasta to tomatoes and toss well. If pasta seems too dry, add some of the reserved pasta water. Add fresh basil and chicken and toss well.

If you want to add a little cheese on the top, you can but that is not accounted for in the calories I've mentioned.

Hope you're having a great start to the weekend my fellow losers. Much love. xx