The no "BS" exercise instruction thread!

Options

Replies

• sandimack
    sandimack Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • salzej01
    salzej01 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • hatravers
    hatravers Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    Very informative post I am bumping to finish reading later and reference back. Thanks for all the info and tips!!!
  • 1RareJewel
    1RareJewel Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Bumping for reference! Thanks for all the HELPFUL information!:smile:
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Guess no one cares about exercise instruction................so be it.
    most are good just to show up3 times a week - anything - any movement will result in a positive change.

But if a person wants more, either learn from a pro or self educate.
    The gym is no place for OJT...:smokin:
  • npryor100
    npryor100 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BUMP =D

This is great! Thank you for all the advice and I can't wait to read all the posts.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Bump. Great thread!
  • TrophyWifeSass
    TrophyWifeSass Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Bump and Thanks
  • kyodi
    kyodi Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Lot of great advice here. Bumping so someone else can benefit as well :-)
  • iamvillanueva
    Options
    I almost always work out in group classes. Something new to my area are pre-choreographed classes for stregth training. Currently I take a class called Body Pump from the Les Mills training system. I've also taken Group Power by BTS. Both classes use barbells and plates. My question is regarding the dead lifts. In these classes, the instructors always stress that you should only descend as far as your knees. Whenever I take a strength training class that is solely put together by the instructor, they always say to go down as far as your flexibility allows, even down to your ankles. Which is correct? Is there an advantage/disadvantage to either way? I am loading my bar the same in both classes and the tempo and reps are similar.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    You mentioned cable rows...I do a seated cable row and just use the standard short straight bar. Is there any benefit to using the other types of bars or ropes? I think there's like five or six different options at my gym.
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    bump for later
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    I almost always work out in group classes. Something new to my area are pre-choreographed classes for stregth training. Currently I take a class called Body Pump from the Les Mills training system. I've also taken Group Power by BTS. Both classes use barbells and plates. My question is regarding the dead lifts. In these classes, the instructors always stress that you should only descend as far as your knees. Whenever I take a strength training class that is solely put together by the instructor, they always say to go down as far as your flexibility allows, even down to your ankles. Which is correct? Is there an advantage/disadvantage to either way? I am loading my bar the same in both classes and the tempo and reps are similar.
    I'm assuming you're speaking of stiff legged deadlifts. As long as your low back is FLAT, you go down as far as comfortable. Some go to their ankles but don't keep their low back flat so this can cause low back issues later.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    bump
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Kettlebell Swing: No it's not a dance, but one of the most effect lower body and core exercises that also gets your heart rate up.
    To begin the movement of the kettlebell, you should squat down (pushing your hips back) until the kettlebell is well clear of your groin,and flick the kettlebell back between your legs,this is the only time you use your arms to push the weight across,to begin the momentum,the arms should not move the weight during the swing.
    At this point in the swing, you should have your forearms push up against your groin and the kettlebell extending out behind you. After the kettlebell reaches it’s peak decline, you will simultaneously squat up and thrust your pelvis forward which will cause your back to righten vertically which causes the kettlebell to propel forward. You should aim reach chest height. On the right, this is the optimal height you want the kettlebell to be in for the Russian kettlebell swing, for beginners this is the preferred height
    For repetitions you simply let the kettlebell fall back into it’s arc, while you hold the bell with your extended arms at all times, as the kettlebell lowers, you squat down slightly with your hips back and repeat from the start.
    The target repetition for this exercise is 20, but when you first begin aim for 30 repetitions with a light weight in order to learn the technique.
    Here's video on the visual instruction:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0jalJ-3e7U
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    INVERTED PULLUPS-If your having a hard time just doing regular pullups, you can still get stronger and better by doing inverted ones on a Smith Machine.

SETUP - Secure a pull-up bar or the bar of a Smith machine at shoulder height. - Hold the bar with an overhand grip, hands slightly wider than shoulders. - Walk feet forward and under bar until body is at an incline and you're balanced on heels, feet together, bending knees if necessary. ACTION - Keeping wrists straight, straighten arms and hang in plank position, your body forming a straight line from shoulders to heels, hips lifted, abs in and buttocks and legs tight. - Maintaining the plank, draw shoulder blades down and together; then bend elbows out to sides and pull up to bar, so bar is over breastbone at top of movement. - Slowly lower while staying in plank, keeping abs drawn in. Complete reps. .

Have fun!!