The no "BS" exercise instruction thread!

Options
1161718192022»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    As of late, I've been really emphasizing rear delt work for EVERY client just based on how bad many people's postures are today. And that's directly linked to weak rear delts, traps, rhomboids, etc.
    My favorite to instruct is the rope facepull with palms up and arms at 90 degree angle at the end of the movement. Try it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Single arm cable crossover for chest work. Saves your shoulders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_oHWuQhyMY

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    For those who have a hard time hitting the inner chest, here's an option I do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRiiuK_B8Lo

We have soft box jump boxes that I use under the bar instead of a bench since it fits better.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,638 Member
    Options
    Never saw this thread before. Realized from the very first post how old it was, but still found myself having to bite my lip to keep from responding to some of the posts, lol.

Here's a question for you consistent with this thread, having to do with DB shoulder overhead presses. Specifically, the weight I use is heavy enough that I'm having trouble getting the DB into position in the first place. Once I have the DB above my head I'm able to complete all reps just fine, but lifting the DB from the floor to overhead is the problem. Besides asking somebody else to assist, any suggestions how to do it by myself?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Never saw this thread before. Realized from the very first post how old it was, but still found myself having to bite my lip to keep from responding to some of the posts, lol.

Here's a question for you consistent with this thread, having to do with DB shoulder overhead presses. Specifically, the weight I use is heavy enough that I'm having trouble getting the DB into position in the first place. Once I have the DB above my head I'm able to complete all reps just fine, but lifting the DB from the floor to overhead is the problem. Besides asking somebody else to assist, any suggestions how to do it by myself?
    Not really. I do the standard kick up from the knees and as soon as I get them to shoulder level, I press up right away as to not wasted too much energy. If doing heavy dumbbell shoulder presses are what you want to stick with, then might invest into some dumbbell hooks that can be attached to a Smith Machine to start off at the extended position.
    I don't heavy dumbbell press anymore and if I do heavy shoulder presses, I usually just go to the Smith machine and put a vertical bench underneath it.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,638 Member
    Options
    Hmm, Smith machine. I've been doing heavy DB presses because I have limited flexibility in my shoulder joints, which means any BB presses I do tend to result in me arching my back excessively, a recipe for injury. But the Smith machine would eliminate that stabilizing requirement, which may help keep a more erect posture. Sounds worth a try...