The no "BS" exercise instruction thread!

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    I've added weighted hip extensions to my lifting routine and I've seen the exercise performed a couple of ways. The first is with the feet flat on the floor and the other has the lifter moving to the balls of the feet at the top of the lift. Is one method superior to the other? I've noticed that I feel my hamstrings engage far more in the toe raised one. Does that mean I'm putting less emphasis on my glutes, the muscle I'm more interested in working?

Thanks.
    No reason to lift heel off the floor to perform these. Rising on the ball off the foot engages the calf and may alter your form which causes you to bend your knee more which activates the hamstrings more.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I was going to ask about the stapedius muscle, but I think if I just try harder it will take of itself. And, great thread in all seriousness.
    I made a thread about how hearing loss is going to increase in the future because of personal listening devices volumes being so loud. That means that the stapedius muscle seems to be getting a lot of extra work now than ever before. May not be a good thing though.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I've added weighted hip extensions to my lifting routine and I've seen the exercise performed a couple of ways. The first is with the feet flat on the floor and the other has the lifter moving to the balls of the feet at the top of the lift. Is one method superior to the other? I've noticed that I feel my hamstrings engage far more in the toe raised one. Does that mean I'm putting less emphasis on my glutes, the muscle I'm more interested in working?

Thanks.
    No reason to lift heel off the floor to perform these. Rising on the ball off the foot engages the calf and may alter your form which causes you to bend your knee more which activates the hamstrings more.

IDEA Fitness member

Excellent, thank you.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this! I've been targeting my bat wings but will add this exercise to my routine.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Thank you for this! I've been targeting my bat wings but will add this exercise to my routine.
    Just remember that exercise will help "harden" the muscle, but doesn't reduce the bat wings.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    bump
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions on a progression to get the shin more closer to vertical during a high bar back squat?

I can pm a video if you want to know what I mean. I'm thinking my knees are tracking too far forward, not like a sissy squat, but far enough forward where when I hit the deepest depth I can, I'm not sure I'm hitting what would be considered PL competition depth. Considering doing a PL comp or two this year, so it's a concern.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I've never noticed this thread before :open_mouth:

Can you recommend good exercises to target obliques? Getting irritated with the ribs poking through while there's still plenty padding at the front.

Oh, and I do wendlers so a good night to add them on - I'm thinking upper, so bench or OHP night?

Thanks.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Any suggestions on a progression to get the shin more closer to vertical during a high bar back squat?

I can pm a video if you want to know what I mean. I'm thinking my knees are tracking too far forward, not like a sissy squat, but far enough forward where when I hit the deepest depth I can, I'm not sure I'm hitting what would be considered PL competition depth. Considering doing a PL comp or two this year, so it's a concern.
    Sometimes box squats will help. Since you have to sit back a bit to hit low, your knees don't track as far forward. But a more vertical shin is due to resistance more on the hips and low back and hamstrings, so you may need to increase strength in them to improve.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »
    I've never noticed this thread before :open_mouth:

Can you recommend good exercises to target obliques? Getting irritated with the ribs poking through while there's still plenty padding at the front.

Oh, and I do wendlers so a good night to add them on - I'm thinking upper, so bench or OHP night?

Thanks.
    Low cable woodchops
    Incline Russian twists with resistance (usually a plate or weighted ball)
    Hanging side twists

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Cheers. Googling now :)
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Ball planks will rollout:

Tired of just holding planks for seconds on in? Try these.

With your forearms and elbows on a stability ball, hold a plank position. Now while holding the position, slightly roll the ball forward (while keeping the forearms on the ball) as far as you can hold position, then roll back to starting position. That's one rep. Continue to do with as many reps a you desire. Much more challenging than just holding plank position.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • jjsilcox96
    jjsilcox96 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Is a smith machine good for bench pressing by yourself
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    jjsilcox96 wrote: »

use the power cage and set the safety rails at the right height.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    jjsilcox96 wrote: »
    Depends. Some machines rails only go up and down and others are slightly tilted at an angle.
    The issue still lies with balance though. One could still push up harder with one arm than the other and the bar would still rise up.
    I would still encourage barbell or dumbell pressing. At least with dumbells, if you have to dump them, it's just letting go down by your sides.
    As JoRocka mentioned, a power rack/cage using the safety rails is another option.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• jjsilcox96
    jjsilcox96 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thanks alot ill start doing it with cage

• ninerbuff
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Tired of planks? Try this for a challenging core exercise.

Take a body bar (great to use because it has padding on the bar). Prop it between corner or where the floor and wall meet. Try this first on your knees. Now while keeping your back straight and your arms semi bent, hold onto the bar then while keeping your back and core tight, walk your hands down the bar towards the floor. Don't go too low because you might lose your balance and topple the bar over. As you get better, you can transition from your knees to your toes.

It's similar to this video, but with the bar propped up against the corner for stability. As you get better, try the harder version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOTz79KlpYY

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    bump been awhile
  • rez2012
    rez2012 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Personally I think it's dangerous trying to explain a movement without some sort of visual demonstration. Guarenteed someone read this and is still doing them wrong. Everything is a lot easier said than done.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    rez2012 wrote: »
    Personally I think it's dangerous trying to explain a movement without some sort of visual demonstration. Guarenteed someone read this and is still doing them wrong. Everything is a lot easier said than done.
    One could thoroughly dissect a youtube video of a squat, deadlift, etc. frame by frame and still execute it wrong. Of course having a trained professional guiding someone through a movement would be the best scenario, but if someone doesn't have access to that, each exercise mentioned with it's standardized name for it can be accessed by videos on bodybuilding.com and other video sources on exercise execution.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png