The no "BS" exercise instruction thread!

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Are band assisted chin ups a good way to progress to unassisted chin ups?
    Maybe. Maybe not. If you're able to do more chins progressively every other workout or so, then keep doing it. Personally, I think doing an inverted pull up on a bar (like on a Smith machine) about waist high is better.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I have a question about the gluts. I am curious is there a way to target and grow the upper part of the muscle. I want to creat roundness from the lower back down instead of the slope I currently have. I don't know if I'm being clear.:/
    Unfortunately that sounds more like a shape issue you have with your genetics. Weighted hip thrusts work the glutes, but usually the whole glute responds and not just a portion of it (unlike training the arm which is separated into tricep/biceps/forearm).
  • FindingMyPerfection
    FindingMyPerfection Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I have a question about the gluts. I am curious is there a way to target and grow the upper part of the muscle. I want to creat roundness from the lower back down instead of the slope I currently have. I don't know if I'm being clear.:/
    Unfortunately that sounds more like a shape issue you have with your genetics. Weighted hip thrusts work the glutes, but usually the whole glute responds and not just a portion of it (unlike training the arm which is separated into tricep/biceps/forearm).
    I was afraid of tha when I looked at the way the muscle was just one piece. Thanks guess it's time to make friends with the shape.
  • Runner5AbelTownship
    Runner5AbelTownship Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    If you were a long distance runner and had to choose ONE deadlift type to do, which would it be?
    Stiff legged.

Thanks!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I was afraid of tha when I looked at the way the muscle was just one piece. Thanks guess it's time to make friends with the shape.
    You can enhance the shape with the exercise I mentioned above though. Lots of times to "enhance" a look, you try to create visuals. So a smaller waist with a bigger booty can make it look like you have more "roundness" there.
  • livelifelift
    livelifelift Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Bump to follow
  • FixIngMe14
    Options
    Bump!!!
  • FindingMyPerfection
    FindingMyPerfection Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    You can enhance the shape with the exercise I mentioned above though. Lots of times to "enhance" a look, you try to create visuals. So a smaller waist with a bigger booty can make it look like you have more "roundness" there.
    Ooh I plan to enhance the shape :) I just have to be realistic and accept that it will not be the shape I originally thought I wanted.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Ooh I plan to enhance the shape :) I just have to be realistic and accept that it will not be the shape I originally thought I wanted.
    Good luck!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    bump
  • carol5047
    carol5047 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Homemaker57
    Homemaker57 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I read every post up to page ten but don't have time to finish the rest right now. So sorry if you've already answered my questions earlier!

Crunches: I don't like these because it makes my neck hurt. Even when I do it like you said, keeping my chin off my chest and not pulling on my neck. The only way I can keep my neck from straining is if I put my hands behind my head and actively support it. I think the weight of my giant brain (haha) is too much for my neck to comfortably support through the movement. What would you suggest for me?

Running: I am doing the C25K and am in week four. My calves hurt more than anything else from runs. Does that indicate an improper running form, or is that normal and okay?

• Homemaker57
    Homemaker57 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Oh, one more!

Shoulders: I have clunky shoulders. Sometimes when I rotate them around they make some clunking noises, or the range of motion isn't as smooth as it seems like it should be. I'm only 25 and they've been like this forever as far as I know. When I do lateral side raises sometimes I'll get a sharp twinge near the top of the movement. I want well developed muscular shoulders but I don't want to injure myself. When an exercise program calls for a movement that sometimes hurts (it's not always every rep, sometime's it's intermittent) should I limit the range of motion so it's comfortable or substitute for an entirely different movement? Do you have any other suggestions for me?

In case it matters, I have no history of doing sports or any other strenuous physical activity, and although I don't mind lifting heavy weights I don't like going by myself if my husband is at work so most days I do something like the 30 Day Shred.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I read every post up to page ten but don't have time to finish the rest right now. So sorry if you've already answered my questions earlier!

Crunches: I don't like these because it makes my neck hurt. Even when I do it like you said, keeping my chin off my chest and not pulling on my neck. The only way I can keep my neck from straining is if I put my hands behind my head and actively support it. I think the weight of my giant brain (haha) is too much for my neck to comfortably support through the movement. What would you suggest for me?

Running: I am doing the C25K and am in week four. My calves hurt more than anything else from runs. Does that indicate an improper running form, or is that normal and okay?

Then different forms of planks would be your next option.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Oh, one more!

Shoulders: I have clunky shoulders. Sometimes when I rotate them around they make some clunking noises, or the range of motion isn't as smooth as it seems like it should be. I'm only 25 and they've been like this forever as far as I know. When I do lateral side raises sometimes I'll get a sharp twinge near the top of the movement. I want well developed muscular shoulders but I don't want to injure myself. When an exercise program calls for a movement that sometimes hurts (it's not always every rep, sometime's it's intermittent) should I limit the range of motion so it's comfortable or substitute for an entirely different movement? Do you have any other suggestions for me?

In case it matters, I have no history of doing sports or any other strenuous physical activity, and although I don't mind lifting heavy weights I don't like going by myself if my husband is at work so most days I do something like the 30 Day Shred.
    Keep on working on the flexibility of the shoulder and yes reduce the range of motion so it's not uncomfortable.
  • sixtyinchesoffury
    sixtyinchesoffury Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    bump....racking my brain for questions! must get through first cup of coffee:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Been awhile, bump
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I've added weighted hip extensions to my lifting routine and I've seen the exercise performed a couple of ways. The first is with the feet flat on the floor and the other has the lifter moving to the balls of the feet at the top of the lift. Is one method superior to the other? I've noticed that I feel my hamstrings engage far more in the toe raised one. Does that mean I'm putting less emphasis on my glutes, the muscle I'm more interested in working?

Thanks.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    I was going to ask about the stapedius muscle, but I think if I just try harder it will take of itself. And, great thread in all seriousness.