The no "BS" exercise instruction thread!

Options

Replies

• cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,416 Member
    Options
    I've got a question for you. I've been doing my spinning (and one dance class a week) and some running intervals for my cardio and doing some lifting but my inner thighs are growing! Not what I am going for! Is it from the spinning? I could feel that part of my leg burning during this mornings ride. (Yes, I've been awful with my eating and that is my focus for this month-stop nagging!) I actually cut back on the lifting because my butt was getting too big and my shoulders were bursting out of my shirts. Again, not the look I'm going for! So I'm trying to figure out what to do (other than eat less). Should I cut back on the spinning? Or is there an exercise I could add in to get my legs leaner vs bulkier? I like my jeans and want my legs to fit in them.
    Since you've been doing this awhile now, the effect of glycogen and water storage for increase "size" can't really be used for justification. If you're getting bigger, it's because of your calorie intake. "Leaning down" is always more about diet than exercise.

Well, I guess the good news is I don't have to cut back on spinning! Thanks.
  • Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I missed this the first time around so I'm glad you resurrected it :smile:

My question is on plank variations - is it better to do them on your forearms or on your hands (similar to pushup position)?
    Depends on what you may also be trying to achieve. Planks on hands affect the tricep and shoulders more. Planks on elbows reduces this, but because of being more horizontal to the ground, the core is affected a bit more.
    Some people have wrist issues, so elbows on the floor would reduce this for them. Pick either one or alternate them if you like. They both target core.

Thanks for the repsonse - I'm not sure what I'm trying to acheive :laugh: When I was doing the 30DS, Jillian does them on her hands. I'm currently doing the NROL4W and they show the forearms. I'm just a bit confused on which is better. Alternating sounds like a reasonable idea!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Okay just to clarify, this thread is to offer information and instruction on how to do an exercise correctly and what muscle area it targets.

I'll bite. Been doing some pullups on the awning for my basement door, it's dusty, but has a nice solidly build frame of 4x4s, which is good to have at my weight. Now, I can do one, almost two ,adn I'm working on getting more. However some questions:

1. Can poor form cause pain issues in the ulnar collateral ligament region?
    2. Are there specific benefits or different muscle targeting to doing pullups palm facing, palm out, or mixed grip with the body rotated and bringing the "bar" to the shoulder?
    3. Is there a proper/improper position for the legs? I've noticed that when I'm doing a pull up, I bring my legs up which will activate my abs more, but I would wonder if it's inefficient for energy needs.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Okay just to clarify, this thread is to offer information and instruction on how to do an exercise correctly and what muscle area it targets.

I'll bite. Been doing some pullups on the awning for my basement door, it's dusty, but has a nice solidly build frame of 4x4s, which is good to have at my weight. Now, I can do one, almost two ,adn I'm working on getting more. However some questions:

1. Can poor form cause pain issues in the ulnar collateral ligament region?
    Possibly. Injury to this area is usually due to sports like tennis and baseball though.
    2. Are there specific benefits or different muscle targeting to doing pullups palm facing, palm out, or mixed grip with the body rotated and bringing the "bar" to the shoulder?
    Different grips will usually affect the elbow flexors differently.
    3. Is there a proper/improper position for the legs? I've noticed that when I'm doing a pull up, I bring my legs up which will activate my abs more, but I would wonder if it's inefficient for energy needs.
    Unconsciously lots of people bring their legs up while doing a pull up. As long as you're not using them for momentum to complete the pull up. Can you be using more energy doing it that way? Probably. There's an extra movement which requires energy to perform it. Personally, I cross my feet and do a dead hang so I can just focus on the the pullup itself.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • TpocketT60
    TpocketT60 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this has been asked, did not read the whole thread.

I've read some conflicting things about SLDLs. Should the bar be further off the body than in a RDL/DL or should you keep contact with your legs? Slight bend in the knees rather than perfectly stiff? I use it as an assistance exercise to target my hamstrings and lower back further to help my regular DL, doing high reps and relatively low weight on it, but I'm thinking of creeping my weight up a bit as I'm no longer getting the hamstring soreness I was previously feeling. What do you think is a reasonable but safe % of 1RM (of DLs) to do for high rep SLDLs (really don't want to injure a hamstring)?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Sorry if this has been asked, did not read the whole thread.

I've read some conflicting things about SLDLs. Should the bar be further off the body than in a RDL/DL or should you keep contact with your legs? Slight bend in the knees rather than perfectly stiff? I use it as an assistance exercise to target my hamstrings and lower back further to help my regular DL, doing high reps and relatively low weight on it, but I'm thinking of creeping my weight up a bit as I'm no longer getting the hamstring soreness I was previously feeling. What do you think is a reasonable but safe % of 1RM (of DLs) to do for high rep SLDLs (really don't want to injure a hamstring)?
    Keep the bar close to the legs. The key on SLDL's is making sure you push your hips back and if the bar drifts forward (unless you're really really strong) it's not likely going to happen. I instruct it with a slight knee bend to keep the stress of the joint and also have clients use a very moderate weight when doing them. So about 65% of 1RM.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sydneybeachgirl
    Options
    how do I a decent hip stretch?
  • rachael1805
    rachael1805 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I have a general question about resistance training: Is it ineffective to use the pin loaded weight machines as opposed to free weights? I've only really started, but I use the leg press, chest press, row and overhead shoulder press as my main weight exercises- should I move to free weights or is this still productive- I want to get STRONG!

Also, I know I'm bordering on close to requesting an exercise program (I'm really not doing that, promise!) but what sort of reps and sets do you think is the best for someone who is eating at a defecit and trying to lose body fat?
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Bump to put in my topics
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Try this: stand in front of a railing for balance. Step on leg behind the other(let's just say the right leg) and keeping it straight slowly slide it to the left while bending your left knee (again this is with the right leg behind the left) till you can't go any further. Hold and repeat.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Hi there,

I have a general question about resistance training: Is it ineffective to use the pin loaded weight machines as opposed to free weights? I've only really started, but I use the leg press, chest press, row and overhead shoulder press as my main weight exercises- should I move to free weights or is this still productive- I want to get STRONG!

Also, I know I'm bordering on close to requesting an exercise program (I'm really not doing that, promise!) but what sort of reps and sets do you think is the best for someone who is eating at a defecit and trying to lose body fat?
    If you're new to lifting, then machines are fine to start so you can acclimate the body to the stresses and also to give you confidence. Later you can learn how to use free weights (say after about a month). Standard for my new clients, I have them do 2-3 sets for 10-12 reps per exercise.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sydneybeachgirl
    Options
    Try this: stand in front of a railing for balance. Step on leg behind the other(let's just say the right leg) and keeping it straight slowly slide it to the left while bending your left knee (again this is with the right leg behind the left) till you can't go any further. Hold and repeat.

thanks - will try :)
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info!
  • Runner5AbelTownship
    Runner5AbelTownship Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    If you were a long distance runner and had to choose ONE deadlift type to do, which would it be?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Are band assisted chin ups a good way to progress to unassisted chin ups?
  • FindingMyPerfection
    FindingMyPerfection Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I have a question about the gluts. I am curious is there a way to target and grow the upper part of the muscle. I want to creat roundness from the lower back down instead of the slope I currently have. I don't know if I'm being clear.:/
  • rachael1805
    rachael1805 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

If you're new to lifting, then machines are fine to start so you can acclimate the body to the stresses and also to give you confidence. Later you can learn how to use free weights (say after about a month). Standard for my new clients, I have them do 2-3 sets for 10-12 reps per exercise.

Thank you so much for your swift response :)
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    If you were a long distance runner and had to choose ONE deadlift type to do, which would it be?
    Stiff legged.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    OP .. one of the best threads I have seen here at MFP. Thanks. Too bad for that troll being an *******. Some people.