The no "BS" exercise instruction thread!

Options

Replies

• ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    How do you compare box squats with more traditional low bar back squats?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    There are certain variables that make a difference like width of stance, but box squats will include more hamstring involvement compared to back squats. The biggest issue I see with box squats it that many people do them wrong and this may be part of the reason why some deem them more injury inducing than back squats.
    If you know how to do a box squat correctly, it's a good exercise to change up from back squats every now and then. Both are great exercises.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    There are certain variables that make a difference like width of stance, but box squats will include more hamstring involvement compared to back squats. The biggest issue I see with box squats it that many people do them wrong and this may be part of the reason why some deem them more injury inducing than back squats.
    If you know how to do a box squat correctly, it's a good exercise to change up from back squats every now and then. Both are great exercises.

IDEA Fitness member

I tore my left oblique (just a minor tear, but rested for 3 weeks to be safe) and am just starting up lifting again. I'm favoring that side a bit mostly because I'm worried about it, not because there's any pain, and I feel like box squats put less strain on my obliques. I'm not sure though it might just be a mental thing. I'm fairly confident in my form for both, though I'm sure it could always be improved somehow.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I tore my left oblique (just a minor tear, but rested for 3 weeks to be safe) and am just starting up lifting again. I'm favoring that side a bit mostly because I'm worried about it, not because there's any pain, and I feel like box squats put less strain on my obliques. I'm not sure though it might just be a mental thing. I'm fairly confident in my form for both, though I'm sure it could always be improved somehow.
    Whatever works if form is good and execution is correct.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    The one thing I usually notice (with the exception of the butt) is that many people don't pay enough attention to their "rears". Rear delts, hamstrings, calves and middle back usually get neglected because people don't actually "see" them as they do the rest of their body. So here's a couple of exercises you should at least do to hit them.

Rear delts- bent over laterals: you can do them standing or sitting but this is just the opposite of a flye. You pull you up and out with your rear delts to hit them.

Hamstrings- lying hamstring curls: you need a lying hamstring curl machine to perform them. Keep you hips glued to the bench and try not to raise them when you curl.

Calves- standing calf raises: whether you do them one or both at the same time, make sure to get full ROM by stretching down at the lowest point and get up to the highest on your toes.

Middle back- bent over barbell row: upper body about 40 degree angle or less and do rows with elbows in and pulling the bar to your torso

Hope these help. Don't neglect a body part just because you don't see it.
  • Amber86queenbee
    Options
    Awesome thread. Thanks Ninerbuff
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Medicine Ball Pushups

Regular pushups too easy now? Then try Medicine ball push ups! Start in push up position with standard medicine ball under one hand and the other on the floor. Do a push up and then "roll" the ball to the other hand and do another push up. Continue for 10-12 total reps.
    If you're not strong enough yet to do them on your toes, then try doing them on your knees first and work yourself up to doing them on your toes.

Have fun!!

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Will you make an exercise plan for me? :tongue:
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Will you make an exercise plan for me? :tongue:
    Unfortunately that's the first statement I made at the beginning of the thread. The object of the thread was to give ideas and guidance on exercise and not to create programs or I might be here all day.
    If you have a specific question, then PM me and I'll do my best to answer it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    been awhile
  • Jaymefirst
    Jaymefirst Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Great info here! Thanks for posting!!
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    At my old gym, the trainer gave me an exercise plan that included shoulder presses. I'm starting that plan again, but my home gym (Weider 8630) doesn't have a shoulder press station. It does have a center pulley above the leg extension seat. I've been trying to recreate the shoulder press using that pulley and a lat bar. Do you think I should continue doing that or should I just suck it up and buy some dumbbells and do the presses with free weights?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    At my old gym, the trainer gave me an exercise plan that included shoulder presses. I'm starting that plan again, but my home gym (Weider 8630) doesn't have a shoulder press station. It does have a center pulley above the leg extension seat. I've been trying to recreate the shoulder press using that pulley and a lat bar. Do you think I should continue doing that or should I just suck it up and buy some dumbbells and do the presses with free weights?
    Sorry so late on this. Suck it up and use dumbells for the shoulder press.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    bump
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    bump zombie thread
  • Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I missed this the first time around so I'm glad you resurrected it :smile:

My question is on plank variations - is it better to do them on your forearms or on your hands (similar to pushup position)?
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,416 Member
    Options
    Yay glad it's back!
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,416 Member
    Options
    I've got a question for you. I've been doing my spinning (and one dance class a week) and some running intervals for my cardio and doing some lifting but my inner thighs are growing! Not what I am going for! Is it from the spinning? I could feel that part of my leg burning during this mornings ride. (Yes, I've been awful with my eating and that is my focus for this month-stop nagging!) I actually cut back on the lifting because my butt was getting too big and my shoulders were bursting out of my shirts. Again, not the look I'm going for! So I'm trying to figure out what to do (other than eat less). Should I cut back on the spinning? Or is there an exercise I could add in to get my legs leaner vs bulkier? I like my jeans and want my legs to fit in them.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I missed this the first time around so I'm glad you resurrected it :smile:

My question is on plank variations - is it better to do them on your forearms or on your hands (similar to pushup position)?
    Depends on what you may also be trying to achieve. Planks on hands affect the tricep and shoulders more. Planks on elbows reduces this, but because of being more horizontal to the ground, the core is affected a bit more.
    Some people have wrist issues, so elbows on the floor would reduce this for them. Pick either one or alternate them if you like. They both target core.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I've got a question for you. I've been doing my spinning (and one dance class a week) and some running intervals for my cardio and doing some lifting but my inner thighs are growing! Not what I am going for! Is it from the spinning? I could feel that part of my leg burning during this mornings ride. (Yes, I've been awful with my eating and that is my focus for this month-stop nagging!) I actually cut back on the lifting because my butt was getting too big and my shoulders were bursting out of my shirts. Again, not the look I'm going for! So I'm trying to figure out what to do (other than eat less). Should I cut back on the spinning? Or is there an exercise I could add in to get my legs leaner vs bulkier? I like my jeans and want my legs to fit in them.
    Since you've been doing this awhile now, the effect of glycogen and water storage for increase "size" can't really be used for justification. If you're getting bigger, it's because of your calorie intake. "Leaning down" is always more about diet than exercise.