The no "BS" exercise instruction thread!

Options

Replies

• luvmybaby333
    Options
    Saving to read later. :-D
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,416 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff, I have 2 questions for you. I have a strength routine I got from a trainer I go to periodically. It's a good total body workout with compound moves and I feel it big time. One of the moves is a split squat with shoulder pressess. These squats really, really work my quads to the point when I go to spin class afterwards, I whimper when I go into a standing anything and they are sore for the next couple of days. I usually do this routine on Friday's so it doesn't mess with my golf game (a girl needs her priorities!). When I got to the gym today (Monday) my quads were still pretty sore. Question1 is should I have let my legs recover a little more and avoided doing any lower body (but for spin) or go ahead and do total body again? Question 2 is what do you suggest I do when I can do 15 reps with good form for a couple sets at my current weight but the next weight up (going from 15-20 or 20-25) is too much? Up my reps? 5 lb. increments are too much for me when I'm talking about shoulder moves or bicep work.
  • AbiNichole
    AbiNichole Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Note on the kettlebell swing- if the weight is flipping up (meaning the bottom of the kettlebell is showing when you hit the peak of your thrust) then it's too light for you. Make sure you're using something heavy enough that it's a challenge :-)

Thanks for starting the tread @ninerbuff -- will you please explain the proper form for the rowing machine. What muscles are you working on that machine? Biceps, glutes, quads, and core?

Thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • lindsayletcher
    lindsayletcher Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have only question, what the huck are "batwings?"
  • alexbelly
    alexbelly Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I like this site: http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/list/index/selected/a

It helps find the names of exercises and shows clips and pictures of how to do them
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff, I have 2 questions for you. I have a strength routine I got from a trainer I go to periodically. It's a good total body workout with compound moves and I feel it big time. One of the moves is a split squat with shoulder pressess. These squats really, really work my quads to the point when I go to spin class afterwards, I whimper when I go into a standing anything and they are sore for the next couple of days. I usually do this routine on Friday's so it doesn't mess with my golf game (a girl needs her priorities!). When I got to the gym today (Monday) my quads were still pretty sore. Question1 is should I have let my legs recover a little more and avoided doing any lower body (but for spin) or go ahead and do total body again? Question 2 is what do you suggest I do when I can do 15 reps with good form for a couple sets at my current weight but the next weight up (going from 15-20 or 20-25) is too much? Up my reps? 5 lb. increments are too much for me when I'm talking about shoulder moves or bicep work.
    Soreness is an indication of muscle breakdown. If soreness continues for more than 5 days, chances are that they got overtrained.
    If you reach reps with good form, then up the weight and do as many as you can till you reach desired rep range again.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Note on the kettlebell swing- if the weight is flipping up (meaning the bottom of the kettlebell is showing when you hit the peak of your thrust) then it's too light for you. Make sure you're using something heavy enough that it's a challenge :-)

Thanks for starting the tread @ninerbuff -- will you please explain the proper form for the rowing machine. What muscles are you working on that machine? Biceps, glutes, quads, and core?

Thanks! :flowerforyou:
    Should be back, rear delts, core and some leg work.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I have only question, what the huck are "batwings?"
    The flab that hangs from the back of your arms.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I like this site: http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/list/index/selected/a

It helps find the names of exercises and shows clips and pictures of how to do them
    Great site. I'm on there too, but not as much.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,416 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • melrose09
    Options
    INVERTED PULLUPS-If your having a hard time just doing regular pullups, you can still get stronger and better by doing inverted ones on a Smith Machine.

SETUP - Secure a pull-up bar or the bar of a Smith machine at shoulder height. - Hold the bar with an overhand grip, hands slightly wider than shoulders. - Walk feet forward and under bar until body is at an incline and you're balanced on heels, feet together, bending knees if necessary. ACTION - Keeping wrists straight, straighten arms and hang in plank position, your body forming a straight line from shoulders to heels, hips lifted, abs in and buttocks and legs tight. - Maintaining the plank, draw shoulder blades down and together; then bend elbows out to sides and pull up to bar, so bar is over breastbone at top of movement. - Slowly lower while staying in plank, keeping abs drawn in. Complete reps. .

Have fun!!

Sounds fun! I think I might try to modify this tomorrow and hold myself completely upside down. Will work some awesome muscles (some different ones than what you are talking about here) and help me work on my upside down endurance (this is what I call the ability to be upside down for a long time without seeing spots or getting tunnel vision, a must for acro!) Thanks for the inspiration!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    FROG SQUATS- I do this with female clients who want to "enhance" the booty more. Simple exercise and easy on the knees (unless you're already suffering from current knee pain).

Place your feet just a bit further apart than shoulder width;
    Align your feet to point slightly outward (this will also be the position of the knees, since they will align with the feet);
    Simply go down into a squat position as if you are sitting in a chair;
    Your forearms should be resting on your quads and your weight should be through your heels (feet flat on the floor);
    Place your hands in a "praying position" and lift your hips up, then lower them back to your start position;
    Keep your head straight as if it is in a vice or contraption (looking straight ahead as you perform the movement).
    This is NOT a speed movement so go slow.

Here's a video link to see it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd-TnHQ062Y&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PLF829065A1D65CB18
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    thanks...always look forward to your exercise posts
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Going to give the frog squats a try. Thank you for the video link. Really helps to see the form and how to do that properly.
  • 57rainbows
    57rainbows Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I didn't know if it was possible to search a specific thread, so I apologize if this has been asked and you're tired of answering.

I have a lot of trouble with pushups! I do them from my knees. I have this idea in my head that my arms should go past a 90 degree angle, or I'm not going down far enough. But to do that, basically I have to let my whole body rest on the ground, and that doesn't seem right either (and isn't near as hard, which means not as good)! I don't know if my problem even makes sense or if you could help out. Are my hands in the wrong place, should I stick my hips up higher so I don't touch the ground, is that just the nature of knee pushups, what advice can you give me? Thank you!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I didn't know if it was possible to search a specific thread, so I apologize if this has been asked and you're tired of answering.

I have a lot of trouble with pushups! I do them from my knees. I have this idea in my head that my arms should go past a 90 degree angle, or I'm not going down far enough. But to do that, basically I have to let my whole body rest on the ground, and that doesn't seem right either (and isn't near as hard, which means not as good)! I don't know if my problem even makes sense or if you could help out. Are my hands in the wrong place, should I stick my hips up higher so I don't touch the ground, is that just the nature of knee pushups, what advice can you give me? Thank you!
    Bring your hands closer to your body and more chest level than shoulder level. That should help. If you still can't do it like that, then try them on a supported area like a desk and build up from there.
  • gvswaim
    Options
    bump
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    bump
  • cunnine
    Options
    That nailed it for me. Thanks for the suggestion.
    And great thread lot of good info.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    JUMP PULLUPS I've been having my TKO (kickboxing) classes do these (we have a TRX S frame in our PT studio) along with their kickboxing and they feel it's great add on to strength training.

Stand underneath a pullup bar or station. Jump up grabbing the bar and in a continuous motion do a pull up with a close to medium grip. Let go and do it again. Try to keep your head back and pull with your back and not your arms. I have my class do as many as they can for one minute.
    If you can't do a full pull up, you just pull up as far as you can go. As you get better you'll be able to go higher and higher.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition