Anyone else starting C25K Monday, 8/15?

Options
Just wanted to see if anyone else was planning to start the C25K program tomorrow, or this week? I am NO runner, but am interested in challenging myself to try something new. I have a lot of weight to lose, and I might look like an idiot, but I want to give it a shot anyway :)

Who's with me?? It's not required that you also look like an idiot while running, just to be clear ;)

Replies

• Malonsky
    Malonsky Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey Leona,
    Just wanted to congratulate you on starting C25K. I started it last year because, like you, I was NO runner, but wanted to run a 5K that my church was sponsoring. It is a fantastic training plan! I'm afriad i will not be doing it this year, but I wish you the best of luck. Keep us updated on how you do!
    Craig
  • jody0912
    jody0912 Posts: 33
    Options
    I'm in. I've heard of c25k so many times and your suggestion is the perfect motivation. feel free to add me as a friend or pm me :)
  • Harleydiva68
    Harleydiva68 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    What is it and how do I get the information on it?
  • thurberj
    thurberj Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I sort of started on Friday...I know, a weird day to start but I had the time to go to the gym and get on the treadmill so I did. Which version are you doing? There are several it seems. I'm doing the one that alternates between 60 seconds run and 90 seconds walk for a total of 30 minutes with a 5 minute warm up and 5 minute cool down. Does anyone have opinions about which version is best? Never was a runner, but my daughter is and she took me for REAL running shoes at the REAL running store the other day....should be interesting! When the weather cools down, I'll run outside....has to be hot in Cary :-) PM or friend me if you like.
  • LylaFaii
    LylaFaii Posts: 52
    Options
    This will be the third time I have tried to do C25K :( it's not easy with a three year old in a heavy push chair.
  • Charlie175
    Charlie175 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I've tried it inside on the treadmill, but thinking about trying a 5K in october, so I want to try it again outdoors . .I'm with you! Gotta get myself brave enough to sign up for it though . .
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I will be starting week 3 of the C25k. I use the treadmill version right now because it is too hot outside to run.
  • KMSForLife
    KMSForLife Posts: 605
    Options
    I am also starting W3 on Monday. I have found it difficult on the first and second day of each week. By day 3, I'm doing all right. Week 3 looks like a killer (3 solid minutes of running). I wish you much success!
  • kiwilan
    kiwilan Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I am re-starting this tomorrow too. I went away for a few days and lost interest but I'm rubbish at running so it will be good!
  • ursy87
    ursy87 Posts: 287
    Options
    Just downloaded the app this vening, so hopefully be starting tomorrow :)

I used to run a few years ago, but got injured and I just forgot about it. Now feel I can start up again - hopefully :D
  • Rosy67
    Rosy67 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I've just done Week 1, day 2 today. I did day 1 on Thursday and was planning to do Day 2 yesterday, but just to warn you it was only today that my legs stopped feeling like jelly and day 2 felt possible. Day 3 planned for Tuesday.

I used to run, but got plantar fasciitis. I'm toying with the idea of doing each week twice, just to give my foot ligaments and tendons a chance to acclimatise...especially as I'm over 200 lbs now, and I was only 160 when I got injured, and weight is a risk factor for PF :(

All the best, but be careful. If you do too much too soon, it takes a lot of rest to overcome an injury. I learnt the hard way. I'm thinking tortoise not hare for me this time!

Ros x
  • LeonaWFU98
    LeonaWFU98 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Glad there are some others out there that want to start tomorrow and/or are early on in the process :) Look for some friend requests! :)

Good luck to everyone!!
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I just started! I have never been a runner, so even having the ambition is a huge accomplishment for me!

I did W1D1 Saturday evening. I had planned on doing W1D2 today, but my legs were just too sore. My biggest advice to everyone is to S-T-R-E-T-C-H!!! When you think you have stretched enough, stretch again! I am doing a Zumba class tomorrow, so I think I am going to reschedule W1D2 for Tuesday.

I am hoping some days I will be able to get up early and get out before work; however, it is likely that it will be later in the evenings. I downloaded two podcasts this afternoon (one for week 1 and one for week 2) which will give me cues on when to switch to the next phase (walking or running). I think that will help me be focused more on my form and the music and less on how much time before I can move to the walking interval.

I am going to send a friend request those who have already posted. Anyone posting after me, feel free to add me!
  • KrisPage
    KrisPage Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I will start it again have been off my exercise routine it has been so hot. But now I have plateau and stopped loosing. Have to get back at this!! THANKS FOR THE THREAD!!
  • rae_mayer
    rae_mayer Posts: 226
    Options
    I'm no runner either and I tried it out last week to see if I could even do it. I'd love to start this week with you guys and be serious about it. I may not be running fast, but at least I'll be running! ;)
  • mom2nate08
    mom2nate08 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Count me in! I was running quite a bit up unil early May. I even finished a half marathon (walking most of it), but I haven't been running at all since then. I am ready to start over and get back into it. I work all day and then I have class on Monday nights so I will be starting on Tuesday.

Thanks for starting the thread and I look forward to running with you all!
  • dewpetals
    dewpetals Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Been toying with the idea of a 5K most of the year. When I found out about our local Pink Pumpkin Patch Run to be exact. Haven't really done much about it except try to eat better and start exercising more. I think I'm ready now. Gonna get to it after I drop my Kindergartner off at school tomorrow *sniff.

So anyway, count me in!
  • threefour
    Options
    I've been meaning to try this!

I'm not very fit, this sounds like just the thing.

Have downloaded the ap for it.
  • mom2nate08
    mom2nate08 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Good Morning everyone! I hope that all of you that start C25K today are successful. It will be soo awesome to be able to run a 5K in 9 weeks.

As a previous runner, just a few thoughts...

1. Don't worry about speed. Speed is something that we can work on after we build endurance. The general rule is that whatever your pace is, you should still be able to carry on a conversation. (I have yet to master this one!) So keep in mind, even if you are only running at 4-5 miles per hour, you are still running!

2. Sign up for a 5K now. We will all be completing the program towards the middle or end of October, so look for 5K's around that time. It will keep you motivated and add a piece to your goal. Plus most 5K's provide t-shirts to registrants, so you will have a reminder of the hard work you put in. :wink:

3. Don't be afraid to repeat days or weeks if you need to. If you are really struggling with a particular week, do it a second time. If you struggle in that week, you will probaly struggle in the next. You are only doing this for yourself - go at YOUR pace. If it gets too hard and stays too hard, you are more likely to give up.

4. If you have a smart phone that you will be running with, download a C25K app. Some of them let you add your own music and there are vocal prompts whenit is time to switch from walking to running - this has helped me a ton in the past.

5. HAVE FUN! You are on your way to becomming a runner!

Sorry this was so long, I'm just excited for us all to start running, either for the first time or 50th time. As you can tell, I have done this before. I just hope to stick with it this time! Having a support group will help me out a lot.

Good luck with day 1!
  • jude666
    jude666 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Am hoping to start this... along with re-starting 30DS. Am planning on taking my dog along for motivation - he's my pacemaker!! :happy:

I do not go to a gym though, so will be trying it outside. A little unsure as to how I am going to count the minutes down though as i don't have a distance tracker or timer watch... i only have a HRM and this doesn't do timer.

HOWEVER have just read someone else's post and I am going to look for the C25K app !! coolio!!