Anyone else starting C25K Monday, 8/15?

Options

Replies

• tkopps
    tkopps Posts: 341
    Options
    Congrats!!!! I am very impressed. I will have that experience next week and will be sure to share with you and everyone here! I just finished an hour run/walk *combo W4 plus W3. I am working on my stamina. I will move on to W5 on Sunday. I fully agree with you. This program really helps you get into running. I am enjoying it - I can't believe that I just wrote that! I also enjoy sharing the experience with all of you. I like to see that we are all making progress.

Have some good runs and a great weekend.

I have deserved a nice dinner with my husband!:happy:
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Back on track. Finished W4d2 today. It was hard but I made it. Feeling nervous about W5 but am encouraged by ooooooGravy. This program and Topic are really helping encourage me to keep going. Have a great Labour Day everyone!
  • littlehokie
    Options
    did w5d1 today and the 5 min intervals were pretty easy. Day 2 and 3 scare me a little bit, day 3 more so than day 2. I can do it though (I think) but it might not be pretty. ;-)
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Started week 3 tonight and did better than I thought. For whatever reason, I found this day easier than previous weeks. I was annoyed with my C25K app though. The GPS part was really messed up tonight. I find on cloudy nights it goes wonkers which I guess makes sense. It said I ran 6 min. miles (I barely do 14 min/mi) and ran a total of 6.2 miles (in 40 minutes, LOL). So, even though I felt full of energy during the jog, I have no idea how fast I was or how far I went.
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Finished W4D3 today and felt good. I even did an extra 3min set at the end. Feeling anxious about W5 and what I know is coming on w5d3 - the 20min interval!
  • Halothane
    Halothane Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Started W5D1 today. I was a bit worried about it as I felt W4 was awful. W5D1 went fantastic though. All three of the runs were easy and were actually enjoyable. Looking forward to the rest of the program!
  • asm0118
    asm0118 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I am starting W4 either today or tomorrow! I actually started the program on 8/18, but did not join MFP until just last week and just found this thread last night. I've never been a runner, and I'm loving this program =) My husband has done several 5Ks and a 5mile race. He is training for a 1/2 Marathon on Oct.16th. I'm nowhere near that, but I'd like to do my first 5K on Oct.22nd, along with a friend who will be running her first one.

I have a question for you guys: What distance are/were you covering during W3? I guess I figured as the run times were increasing, distance would be also. But my best distance was 2.46 miles on W1D2, D3, and W2D1. Since then, I've been getting between 2.12 and 2.38 miles. My latest walk pace was 12:51 and run was 10:03. Is this average?

Thanks for any insight! Happy running =)

Amanda
  • tkopps
    Options
    I hope that everyone is keeping us up-to-date with their progress on C25K. I just finished W5D1 today and it went better than expected. I managed all three of the 5 minute runs and was able to push myself to go a little faster for the last minute of the third one!!!! I could only walk afterwards while with W4 I could add a session of W3. Still moving along. I am little scared of D3 of W5 - 20 minutes straight. Could use some examples like ooooooGravy. Who else has done W5D3? What was your experience?

I will keep you posted. Have some good runs!
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    W6D2 done! 2 10 minute runs today! because it was alot less than W5D3 i decided to pick up the pace alittle. i averaged, about 12.2 minute miles on W5D3, and today i kind of turned it into speed training and was running at about 10 to 11 minute miles, for 2 10 minute stints.

cant believe im thinking of speed training??? 5 weeks ago all i thought about was a lung transplant lol.

anyway, i felt like i could have gone on when the time finished, but i decided to save myself, as i have a 15 mile bike ride tomorrow lol

happy running peoples :)
  • sarahsmall
    sarahsmall Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I just did wk3 d1. I have terrible lung capacity and the 3 mins were difficult, but I did it!! Hopefully d2 goes better!!!
  • KrisPage
    KrisPage Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    So I did complete W3 on Friday morning then headed out of town for our hoilday weekend. And was only on long enough to post food each day. So good work everyone here comes week 4 and 5 min run good luck!!
  • pokyfamily
    Options
    I'd love to start, but don't want to spend money on it. Can you tell me where to find information for free, or apps for free?
  • mrsmccullen07
    Options
    I am a month behind but I started C25K last Friday (September 2nd) and then I did the second day on Sunday (Sept.4) and am going to do day 3 tomorrow :) its great to watch your progress
  • littlehokie
    Options
    W6D2 done! 2 10 minute runs today! because it was alot less than W5D3 i decided to pick up the pace alittle. i averaged, about 12.2 minute miles on W5D3, and today i kind of turned it into speed training and was running at about 10 to 11 minute miles, for 2 10 minute stints.

cant believe im thinking of speed training??? 5 weeks ago all i thought about was a lung transplant lol.

anyway, i felt like i could have gone on when the time finished, but i decided to save myself, as i have a 15 mile bike ride tomorrow lol

Great job! I have the big 20 minute run tomorrow. I did the 8 minute runs yesterday easily so I'm hoping I can swing the 20 minute run. I did the 8 minutes in a 10 mile pace but I don't think I can do that for the 20 minute one.

We will see, I'm praying the rain holds out b/c I definitely don't want to do it on the treadmill. We've had rain all day here off and on, just hoping for a break tomorrow some time!

Oh and I ordered a garmin watch so I can track my pace, distance and time once the c25k is over. I'm finding the app is super inaccurate as far as distance and pace (the gps add on).
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Options

Great job! I have the big 20 minute run tomorrow. I did the 8 minute runs yesterday easily so I'm hoping I can swing the 20 minute run. I did the 8 minutes in a 10 mile pace but I don't think I can do that for the 20 minute one.

We will see, I'm praying the rain holds out b/c I definitely don't want to do it on the treadmill. We've had rain all day here off and on, just hoping for a break tomorrow some time!

Oh and I ordered a garmin watch so I can track my pace, distance and time once the c25k is over. I'm finding the app is super inaccurate as far as distance and pace (the gps add on).

Great work! Let me know how you get on? Just remember if you start at a pace you can't sustain, just slow it down. Remember its about distance not speed:) if you can continue at 10 m/miles that fantastic, I can't yet though not a chance lol

Pokyfamily, if you got a smart phone there are lots of apps that are free for tracking your running, I use Endomondo, hope that helps :)

Hi sarahsmall, for some reason I found W3 a real jump compared to W2 and struggled, almost died at the end lol keep at it you will improve I promise :)
  • tkopps
    Options
    I'd love to start, but don't want to spend money on it. Can you tell me where to find information for free, or apps for free?

Hi Pokyfamily,

Please check out coolrunning.com and it gives the basic information about how to do teh C25K. There are also free apps and podcasts to support you. I am using Cubby Jones´ podcast. She has dance music and tells you when to walk and run with some encouragement! Please be careful about the shoes in order to give you the necessary support and prevent injury.

Good luck and hope to see your results from W1D1!
  • littlehokie
    Options
    Another great free running app is runkeeper. It tracks your speed, distance, etc. You can program in walk breaks too going from the C25K program that you can find also free online.

I highly recommend the c25k app though, it's $4 but well worth it.
  • tigeratty
    tigeratty Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Tomorrow will be week 6 workout 2 for me.

I was apprehensive about the 20 min run at the end of week 5 but it went very smoothly.

I finally ran outside for week 6 workout 1 and it was glorious. We have a great gravel trail that was an old railroad, so it's flat and goes on for miles. These bones only run on concrete on race day. It's definitely harder outside than the treadmill (I knew this). However, I am more sore today than I would have expected.

My race is 9/17 so it's crunch time. I've given myself permission to run as long as I can and walk the rest.

Carry on!

Shari
  • KrisPage
    KrisPage Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    W4D1 wow that was aweful but I made it with out stopping for a breather so D2 should be better right?
  • MamaBear05
    MamaBear05 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I completed W5D2 today. I am very apprehensive about moving on to the 20 minute run. I completed W5D1 with no problems, but today was more difficult. I think it may have been because I ran shortly after getting up this morning and did not eat anything prior to running. About 4 minutes into my second run I felt like I hit a wall. I still completed the run but it was a struggle. I don't know if I should do D2 one more time before moving on or just go for it. I just don't want to move on to the 20 minutes and not be able to complete it.