whats the craziest request a customer has given you?

Options

Replies

• vladikavkaz
    vladikavkaz Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I used to work in a pub, and someone once sent back a BLT sandwich because it had tomatoes in it.
  • boopiejones
    Options
    cheeseburger with no cheese - there really is such a thing at mcdonalds. if you want a double hamburger, the only way to order it is by asking for a double cheeseburger, hold the cheese. if you ask for a double hamburger, they give you a blank stare.
  • boopiejones
    Options
    When I was a bartender, I once had someone order a "'57 T-Bird with Honolulu License Plates."

I had to break out the "Bartending for Dummies" book someone stashed behind the bar.

I hate when people order dumb complicated drinks like that!! Stick to the normal beer, easy mixed drinks, etc. Although I did just look up that drink and it does sound good.

I think some dbags just order stuff to see if you can make it!
    Such nerve to expect you to know your job!

one of our local bars can't make ANYTHING unless the name is self explanatory. jack & coke, gin & tonic, etc.
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    i work at a train station so get stupid requests all the time. but the best one had to be "can i have a ticket to Scotland?" and they truely didn't understand that there was more than one place in Scotland.

i also get "can i have cheap to to [insert place]?" and when asked what day they would like to go they have no idea
  • anastasiawildflower
    Options
    At Starbucks a lady came in and ordered a Venti (large) 25pump iced vanilla latte. If you do the math, that is about 12.5 ounces of straight syrup which brings this drink way about the 500 calorie make. Better off buying a bottle of syrup and sticking the straw right in it.
  • u2fergus
    u2fergus Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I used to work at the bookstore on Mackinac Island, and people (who were not even customers, because they didn't BUY anything) were always complaining because we didn't have a bathroom in the store. This one lady came up and demanded that I show her where our bathroom is. I told her that we didn't have one in the store and she called me a liar, got right up in my face, and literally yelled that she was not going to leave until I let her use our bathroom. I told her she could pee on the floor or else she could walk down the street to the chamber of commerce and use the bathroom there like all the rest of us had to do. Her poor kids looked absolutely mortified... customers who are on vacation are the worst of the worst of the worst, in my experience.
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    As a kid in high school I worked at McD's to earn extra money. I would laugh every time someone would order a double quarter pounder with cheese, supersized and then request a diet coke. I guess the diet coke made them feel a little better about eating a days worth of calories in one meal??

I was a bartender in college and I had a regular customer that would want a jack and coke with three ice cubes and two napkins every time. Can't complain because he would tip me $5 every order (could easily make $50 bucks off him alone in a night!).

Maybe that person was diabetic...No sugar=diet soda

except the amount of sugar and carbs in a double quarter pounder with cheese is horrendous!

These stories are hilarious! I'm glad I don't work in customer service anymore but if I think about it I know I could come up with some crazy stories!
  • vettle
    Options
    I work in a bakery in a grocery store, and it was this last Thanksgiving. This lady came up to us in the bakery with a cart load of stuff for her Thanksgiving meal. She asks, " Do I just leave this with you guys to make? When will it be ready?" We all looked at her like are you kidding me? I said, "umm, no, we don't make the meals for people here, but you can purchase already made meals from the deli", she says, "but I want homemade!", I had to walk away......

yes. this is the best one yet!
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I work for a small, independent coffee shop and nothing comes to mind as far as "crazy" requests, but there are a few things that just drive me up the wall, such as ordering a 20oz cappuccino and complaining that there's too much foam! I get that not everyone can be a coffee expert, but if you're not sure what the drink is, please ask! Or when someone orders a drink off the Starbucks menu. It's kind of like walking into a burger joint and ordering a Big Mac, not to mention that many of their drinks are inaccurately named. Like a Caramel Macchiato is nowhere near what a real, true macchiato is. I hate having to clarify with a customer every time a macchiato is ordered that they want the Starbucks drink and not a REAL macchiato. Ugh. And the other day I had someone order a "blended mocha latte frappuccino." That's like three different drinks in one request.

Sorry, I don't mean to sound like a coffee snob, I've just been working there for like four years and I have a lot of work peeves. And I can't tell THEM.

Are you kidding me? That gargantuan mound of foam is the best part! Smear it on your mouth and voila, instant rabies :D

This made me laugh out loud, great stuff.

After that happened a time or two with the capp, I started double checking that they knew what they were ordering if they ordered more than 12oz, because seriously, who wants that much foam? I like to check with "do you like your cappuccino wet or dry?" and wait to see if they get a puzzled look on their face.
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I work for a small, independent coffee shop and nothing comes to mind as far as "crazy" requests, but there are a few things that just drive me up the wall, such as ordering a 20oz cappuccino and complaining that there's too much foam! I get that not everyone can be a coffee expert, but if you're not sure what the drink is, please ask! Or when someone orders a drink off the Starbucks menu. It's kind of like walking into a burger joint and ordering a Big Mac, not to mention that many of their drinks are inaccurately named. Like a Caramel Macchiato is nowhere near what a real, true macchiato is. I hate having to clarify with a customer every time a macchiato is ordered that they want the Starbucks drink and not a REAL macchiato. Ugh. And the other day I had someone order a "blended mocha latte frappuccino." That's like three different drinks in one request.

Sorry, I don't mean to sound like a coffee snob, I've just been working there for like four years and I have a lot of work peeves. And I can't tell THEM.

I was a barista for about 6 years at 2 different shops and these kinds of requests drove me crazy! Or you give them their macchiato or cappuccino and it's "too strong" haha... if you want gas station coffee, go to a gas station.

My point exactly. I had one person give me this for an excuse "Well, I'm used to how Mcdonalds does it."
  • vettle
    Options
    Just thinking about this though, I must raise some eyebrows and cause some chatter behind the scenes since I have so many allergies. When I order a salad I have to ask what vegtables are in it because a lot of them I can't eat - and then when I get the salad it always has something I'm allergic to it and then I have to send it back. But this isn't my fault!
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    I had a customer demand a 2 way repeated measures ANOVA. When I ask what distribution to apply for the test of unequal variances, she was dumbstruck. If you know nothing about statistics, how do you know that you need them? Seriously now...

Ooh. Long time since I've seen the old ANOVA. Good stuff.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I worked in an outdoor store in the clothing department and it was not uncommon for customers to place orders over the phone and ship the items to a remote part of Alaska. A particular woman called and over the course of an hour we picked her out a jacket, ran her credit card, and packaged it up… then brought it out to her in the parking lot!
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    When I worked at Victoria's Secret, I had a stripper come in 10 minutes before closing, asking me to help her find the perfect outfit for a runway show she was doing. So for the next HOUR (yes, the manager had us keep the store open JUST FOR HER), she requests that I stand outside and give her my opinion of everything she tried on. After she tried on 20+ outfit combinations, she asked me which one I liked best. It was during the holidays, I had been there all day, so I just said "I don't know...the green one?" she said "Green won't work! One of the other girls is wearing green!" then left all pissed off. Didn't buy ANYTHING, and then myself and another person had to stay behind to clean up the mess she left in the dressing room, some of which she ripped the tags off of.

When I worked at Chick-Fil-A, I had a guy and his wife order a super huge order...then he said "oh yeah, make that one I mentioned extra crispy." I asked him which specific meal, and he instantly went into a huge raging fit and said "ALL OF IT! I SAID MAKE IT ALL EXTRA CRISPY!" his wife then said "No, don't make mine extra crispy" I asked her which one hers is, and the husband got all mad asking "How can you be THAT stupid? How can you not remember what she ordered?" SHE didn't order anything--he ordered everything. I finally got the order taken care of to his liking, and I told him his order. He handed me the cash, and I took it, put it in the register, and then handed him his change. He then SCREAMED at the top of his lungs "THIEF! THIEF! THIS GIRL'S A THIEF! SHE STOLE MY MONEY!" I said "NO I DIDN'T! You handed me cash to pay for your order,I gave you a receipt and change!" He leans over the counter, points his finger maybe an inch from my face, and says "You better smile when you give me my money" followed by some insults, so I called my manager to come take care of the situation, and the raging guy goes "My fight ain't with a manager! it's with YOU, girl!" Yeah...okay. At that point, I looked to BOTH of my manager for help. One manager put his hands in the air and backed away, and the other kept yelling at me, asking what I did to make the guy mad. Wouldn't even let me explain anything, but insisted that he was going to count the drawer to make sure I didn't steal any money. SERIOUSLY?! I had enough at that point, and had already put in my 2 weeks notice and was working another job, so I went to the office, grabbed my purse and jacket, and left. Never worked another shift there again.

When I worked at Starbucks, I had a pregnant lady come in and order iced coffee. I asked if she'd like any creamer or flavors or anything added. She said "no." So I gave her what she asked for, just regular iced coffee. She slammed it on the counter, spilled it everywhere, and said "This isn't sweet! Make it sweeter!" So I added some sweetener and a little cream. She did the same thing, insisting it isn't sweet enough, and "I'm pregnant! Can't you see that?!" Yes, I can see that at you're pregnant. I cannot see how that has anything to do with your order, though, you moron.

Starbucks again--customer orders a peppermint mocha frappuccino for her daughter, who is my age (mid-20's)...so it's not like the woman can't speak up and say "No mom, that's not what I want"...she said "yeah that's fine mom, that's what I want." So I make her a peppermint mocha frappuccino. When I hand it to her, she looks at me like I'm an idiot and goes "I ALWAYS order a caramel frappuccino, why would you make this?" I said "Because your mom ordered it, and you agreed that's what you wanted." "Well I don't want it! Make a caramel one!" So I did. Then she had the nerve to complain to my coworkers, in front of my face, that she loooooves everyone that works there, except for me, because I'm rude and can't do my job.

Had another lady ask me if I could pour her a shot of espresso into this tiny little plastic sample cup she'd gotten from the deli next door. I told her no, I can't, because quite frankly, that cup is too small to even hold that, it's a safety issue, etc. She called me a ***** and said "You know nothing about coffee!" and then told my manager that I made her cry.

I could go on for days about the stupid customer requests. :laugh:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    When I was a bartender, I once had someone order a "'57 T-Bird with Honolulu License Plates."

I had to break out the "Bartending for Dummies" book someone stashed behind the bar.

I hate when people order dumb complicated drinks like that!! Stick to the normal beer, easy mixed drinks, etc. Although I did just look up that drink and it does sound good.

I was a bartender and I never minded that. Most people who ordered odd drinks knew what was in them, so I'd just ask and they'd tell me. And if not, there was always a book to consult.
  • Cysso
    Cysso Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I used to work at a Best Buy and we had someone come in and try and return an empty camera box (one of the big nice ones Nikon d5000 I think). She said that she bought the camera but when she got home the box was empty. The employee asked to see her receipt and it was from about 2.5 weeks earlier. The employee was trying to tell her that she would have to speak to the manager because she wasn't qualified to do a return like that. (she was a new-ish hire). The manager was called and actually replaced the camera with a new one. The kicker? Those cameras are all kept behind the cashier counters in locked cages. So we weren't sure how the "theif" got behind the cash registers, opened a locked cage (which only managers have keys to), took out the camera, put the box back, and walked away without anyone noticing... We think she got a free camera out of the deal
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options

I was a bartender and I never minded that. Most people who ordered odd drinks knew what was in them, so I'd just ask and they'd tell me. And if not, there was always a book to consult.

When people order from me and i have no idea what it is, i usually get a confused look on my face and then the person will say, "oh it's just ____ and ________." one time when i did that, this guy came behind the bar and made his own drink! too funny.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options

When people order from me and i have no idea what it is, i usually get a confused look on my face and then the person will say, "oh it's just ____ and ________." one time when i did that, this guy came behind the bar and made his own drink! too funny.

I've had that happen before too. The guy said, "So you tip me, right?" :laugh:
  • dragonbait0126
    dragonbait0126 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I work for a bank and started in the call center for credit card fraud. I had one guy call to verify an airline purchase on his account. He told me he was going to Puerto Rico for Thanksgiving. He then said he would buy me a ticket too so that I could come with him and we could give true meaning to the word Thanksgiving. Some job, another guy asked me where I was located and when I told him Tempe, AZ ( a suburb of Phoenix) he wanted the exact address so he could send me flowers and then we could meet when he was in Phoenix the following month because he liked the sound of my voice.

The best was the customer who had added his wife on to his account as an authorized user so she had a card on the account with her name on it. He then got mad because his wife used the card without his permission and we didn't call him before she used it to ask if it was okay. Umm, 1) you gave her a card and made her an authorized user which means she can use it any time she wants to and 2) Please tell me exactly how I'm supposed to know your wife is about to use the card BEFORE she actually uses it?
  • MelissaE27
    MelissaE27 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I worked at Medco as a customer service rep... people would call in about their insurance coverage (mainly as to why it wasnt covered) they didnt understand the policy they signed up for.. Well I had a man call me about his viagara.. he said he needed a refill sooner and the pharmacy said no.. he was allotted 30 pills in a month... I said sir your insurance only covers 30.. so you need to talk to your doctor to see if he can change your prescription dosage... that I cant approve giving him more pills.. He said How can you dictate how many times a month I want to make love to my wife???? Well how the hell can I answer that one?? lol he loved his wife/..:)
    I call BS. What's the street value on them little blue devils? No way that turkey's doing 30 V's a month. Who's he dating, the Laker Girls?

I Know right???? lol