Nice/Romantic Gesture OR Trying Too Hard

Options

Replies

• KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I think this thread is proof for the single men that if a woman is annoyed that you brought her flowers and ditches you because of it, she was going to be a self-absorbed pain in the *kitten* anyway.

Giving a woman flowers on the second date doesn't mean "I'm in love with you, and I want you to marry me and have my children." It means, simply, "I like you, and I wasn't raised in a brothel." As a woman, your response should be a gracious smile and "Thank you. They're beautiful." If you don't like getting flowers and that's not what you "want out of a relationship," tell him that later when you'are actually IN a relationship with him.

I really feel like apologizing on behalf of my entire sex after some of the threads I've seen on here lately.

I disagree. Giving a woman a dozen red roses on a second date means "I want to sleep with you and I'm too lazy to check/stupid to know that this is an inappropriate gift at this point". I'd show him the door, too, because I don't like a man with zero common sense.

See - everyone is different. There is no manual or script that will work with every woman, or man. So where exactly was he supposed to "check"?????? There is no online dating manual, no book, script, instructions. Maybe his friends told him to do it. Who knows? He wasn't right or wrong, and neither is she. They just obviously weren't right for each other. End of story.
  • PantalaNagaPampa
    PantalaNagaPampa Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Now ok maybe a dozen was too much, but give the guy some credit. I have NEVER had a man buy me flowers!! I would be honored that he even thought of that. I would take the flowers over say a 12 pack and a box of condoms, especially on a second date. He was being sweet and thoughtful, shouldnt be deducted points for that!
    Whoa.. do you know how much a good 12 pack and a box of condoms cost?

J/K :happy:
  • krist3ng
    krist3ng Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I don't feel sorry for men and don't buy into "women are so difficult" mindset of much of this thread. Both my boyfriend and I liked each other; made it known we liked each other; and didn't play any stupid games or expect each other to read minds as a form of communication. It works for us. I suspect it would work for a lot of people if they just grew up and showed respect to their partner.

THIS!!
  • FORKDOWN
    FORKDOWN Posts: 1,754
    Options
    I think this thread is proof for the single men that if a woman is annoyed that you brought her flowers and ditches you because of it, she was going to be a self-absorbed pain in the *kitten* anyway.

Giving a woman flowers on the second date doesn't mean "I'm in love with you, and I want you to marry me and have my children." It means, simply, "I like you, and I wasn't raised in a brothel." As a woman, your response should be a gracious smile and "Thank you. They're beautiful." If you don't like getting flowers and that's not what you "want out of a relationship," tell him that later when you'are actually IN a relationship with him.

I really feel like apologizing on behalf of my entire sex after some of the threads I've seen on here lately.

I disagree. Giving a woman a dozen red roses on a second date means "I want to sleep with you and I'm too lazy to check/stupid to know that this is an inappropriate gift at this point". I'd show him the door, too, because I don't like a man with zero common sense.

I've got news for you, the fact he asked her on a date in the first place probably meant he wanted to sleep with her, the flowers were secondary. Just being honest here. If you are single and a man asks you out on a date, it is becasue he is attracted to you, wther physically or mentally, and he has already thought about sex with you before the appetizer got to the table. Call me a pig or whatever, I am just being truthful. We all want to be loved and to love someone, sex is a part of that. Now with all that being said, flowers or no flowers, most men can't win for losing when it comes to dating. Most of the time we don't know what women want, because most of the time, women don't know what they want.

And let the rants begin..

Anotherwords, he gave her roses for her tulips.
    :bigsmile:
  • PantalaNagaPampa
    Options

I've got news for you, the fact he asked her on a date in the first place probably meant he wanted to sleep with her, the flowers were secondary. Just being honest here. If you are single and a man asks you out on a date, it is becasue he is attracted to you, wther physically or mentally, and he has already thought about sex with you before the appetizer got to the table. Call me a pig or whatever, I am just being truthful. We all want to be loved and to love someone, sex is a part of that. Now with all that being said, flowers or no flowers, most men can't win for losing when it comes to dating. Most of the time we don't know what women want, because most of the time, women don't know what they want.

And let the rants begin..

No, I agree with you actually, a man wants to sleep with a woman right off if he's doing anything remotely resembling conversation, let alone a date. The flowers are just to push the point even further.
    Thanks for the back up.. i figured I would be blasted by all the women on this one...
  • krist3ng
    krist3ng Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    So where exactly was he supposed to "check"?????? There is no online dating manual, no book, script, instructions.

http://www.online-dating-manual.com/

^^ it's a real web site I think
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Now ok maybe a dozen was too much, but give the guy some credit. I have NEVER had a man buy me flowers!! I would be honored that he even thought of that. I would take the flowers over say a 12 pack and a box of condoms, especially on a second date. He was being sweet and thoughtful, shouldnt be deducted points for that!
    Whoa.. do you know how much a good 12 pack and a box of condoms cost?

J/K :happy:

LMAO - that is for a whole different conversation
  • kRpRpLgRl
    kRpRpLgRl Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Funny, I remember every show growing up basically taught you to be romantic, that women loved receving flowers ,especially for no reason! Even candy!...and now you see charm bracelets are coming back around. Your girl wearing your class ring with a boatload of string wrapped around it so it would fit them. They were proud to wear it, they bragged about it to their girlfriends, or so we thought they did anyway. You held hands on your way to class, got the door for them wether it was a building door or car door. You let them sit down first and got their chair for them. You would sit and talk for hours at night, not text, talk! The tv shows back then made you believe in true love and romance...you would make a compilation of love songs for them as a gift, let them have one of your shirts that had your cologne on it because they said they would wear it or sleep with it at night.
    Romance....goes back to being the nice guy and never getting the girl you wanted...you just wanted her to like you, you wanted her heart to melt when you gave her something hoping she understood the sentiment behind it...show her appreciation for being with you, always labeled as cheesy, but in your heart you thought you were sweeping her off her feet....just being a hopeless romantic....
    Now these things like that are frowned upon.Your scrutinized for your efforts...instead of the sentiment behind it getting the attention it should deserve. Its sad really....just my opinion...

I totally agree. I remember all of those things and they were sweet. Thanks for the reminders!
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I love flowers, a man couldnt give me enough of them, although I prefer yellow roses myself. Never the less at least he made a romantic gesture and sometimes it really is the thought that counts and he was obviously thinking about her.
  • sylvuz323
    sylvuz323 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Chivalry is all but dead because women have kicked it in the balls, stabbed it in the heart, and left it bleeding on the sidewalk.
    I will drink to that!!

It's sad to admit but yes some women have kicked it in the balls, but usually with reason.

I had an experience where a guy I had met (on a Sunday) sent me a dozen red roses to my job the very next day. The day after that, I received another flower arrangement "get well" because I had surgery. We saw each other the end of the week Saturday, I'm not sure what happened but by the end of Saturday night he was obviously angry with you, I never knew what I did to him. We talked later that night and he called me a "cold hearted *****", at which point I ended the conversation and said well if you feel that way then we have nothing further to say to one another. The following morning I had yet another arrangement of flowers, "I'm sorry"

Now I don't automatically assume that the next guy to bring me flowers has issues, but it is situations like these that make us ladies a bit skeptical.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I don't think it was the roses. I think she just wasn't feeling any sparks or chemistry or whatever you want to call it and just wasn't into him. I think when we don't like someone we feel we need a reason so we make it up. It comes out as - that gift was over the top, he was too nice, too clingy, trying too hard...the list goes on and on. If she were into him and feeling that chemistry, she would be telling you how perfect he was and that the roses were the most romantic thing ever.

Either that, or he was ugly.
  • _JamieB_
    _JamieB_ Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    He brought her flowers....the nerve of some men...
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    I feel really sorry for men. Without a copy of the script in advance, they will inevitably do something wrong.

Agreed. That was a super sweet gesture. :(
  • tinksmommy2006
    Options
    I feel really sorry for men. Without a copy of the script in advance, they will inevitably do something wrong.

Totally agree! We are way to judgmental as a society on what is right and wrong and on what number of dates we do what ...and so on. My husband when I first met him used to buy me flowers,... on the FIRST date! and they where also ...RED ROSES! lol really whats the big deal?? they guy was trying to impress her...guys used to do things like this back in the "old days" on the first date and they would do it every single date there after. It's called courting. And I find it refreshing:) I mean if it was the flowers that had her thinking he was just trying to hard why not just say something like Hey I really appreciate the gesture but I would rather us get to know each other more before we start spending money on each other. I like you and I am more excited about that:) I mean really at least he had enough money to buy them...so that means he had a job...lol

ps I dont mean any of this to sound rude in anyway but please anyone who is getting upset over flowers if the person is otherwise someone your willing to go out with again...maybe look at yourself and see why you REALLY want to push others away....the flowers probably have very little to really do with it. :flowerforyou:
  • stcar
    stcar Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I would need to know more aboot your friend before I can criticize her on the horrible act she made. But I will say that this is why women are treated the way they are these days. I always hear the phrase there aren't any good men out there, but you walk all over them. You shoot them down and break them apart inside. They have no reason to live. This is why there aren't any good men.

I get really sick of hearing women complain about "no good men" then they go after the jerks who treat them like crap and complain about that like it's the guy's fault they get away with acting like a turdmonkey. Sheesh. You guys do not have it easy these days.
    I don't think women look for men who treat them like crap, I think they look for men who are confident and have that "something about them" and know what women want. sweet, but not too sweet. The problem is, that these men know how to make a woman feel good....which translates into they can get a lot of women, they know it and they do just that.

Confidence does not equal arrogance. I like a confident man too, but not one who is going to disrespect me and treat me like garbage. A lot of women do put up with men who cheat, lie, steal, mooch, and do all sorts of other things to them and then go around complaining about it. I hear it all the time from my girlfriends and it's irritating. You get what you put up with in this world.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but my husband makes me feel amazing. He's smart, sexy, confident, and all man. He could get a lot of other women if he wanted, but he also honors our marriage vows, works hard to do things for me, accepts the things I do for him, and is just flatout awesome. There are great guys out there who fit the bill. Just gotta find them. Like my girlfriends, I wasted far too much time on losers and put up with it because I didn't think I could do better.

Yes, you are lucky! I don't put up with anything like that either, which is why I'm single a lot of the time. They're either TOO bend over and take it from me or a total *kitten*. This is why I am usually single lol
  • blueandigo
    Options
    I would need to know more aboot your friend before I can criticize her on the horrible act she made. But I will say that this is why women are treated the way they are these days. I always hear the phrase there aren't any good men out there, but you walk all over them. You shoot them down and break them apart inside. They have no reason to live. This is why there aren't any good men.
    LOL
    this sounds like criticism without knowledge to me!
    This is coming from a man that was cheated on by his ex-fiance who was treated like crap until I came along. Let's just say, I was shot down and broken apart inside. I am slowly but surely moving on : v ).
  • PantalaNagaPampa
    Options
    Chivalry is all but dead because women have kicked it in the balls, stabbed it in the heart, and left it bleeding on the sidewalk.
    I will drink to that!!

It's sad to admit but yes some women have kicked it in the balls, but usually with reason.
    Foreplay?
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    My friend went on a date with a guy, all went well and he called to take her out for a second date. He showed up at her house to pick her up and had a dozen red roses for her. She called to tell me that she went on the second date, then told him no more. She felt he was trying too hard, it was too much too soon. In my opinion, they are just flowers. It was a nice gesture, but maybe a bunch of daisies or single rose or two wouldn't have been read into they way she did. Thoughts??? Dating is hard enough as it is and I really feel for the guys out there. Women can be difficult! :flowerforyou:

A dozen red roses is totally inappropriate for a second date.
  • sylvuz323
    sylvuz323 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I will drink to that!!

Foreplay?
    [/quote

Ha, that too.
  • PantalaNagaPampa
    Options
    I will drink to that!!

Foreplay?
    [/quote

Ha, that too.

YES!!! My kind of woman!!