40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• JustFindingMe
    JustFindingMe Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Esmom - I meant to mention that I am struggling to make the scale move as well. I have added 200 cals a day to see if there is any difference. I was given the suggestion to raise to maintenance for one week then drop to the level im at right now to break the pause.

Does this seem like something you might want to try? If so, maybe we can do it together and it wont be so difficult :smile:
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Good morning cool kids.

Emmalu---You are such a ray of sunshine, and I have walked in your shoes. Everytime I felt like I was doing all this for nothing, a milestone or NSV would occur and it was just the dose of medicine that I needed to push forward. YOU are so worth it and YOU can do it. I promise it does get easier. I had to tinker around with so many things and I am still tinkering to this day. Be consistent, pat yourself on the back for every change you make. I never thought in a million years I could go without eating vegan chocolate cookie dough and now I can walk right past it and do not long for it every single day.

JFM---Nice about the winning of some $. I hope you treat yourself to something nice.

Beeps-enjoy your family as there is nothing like family time. Kick butt at the gym.

I do not typically work out on Tuesdays' since I get hammered on Monday's, yet I find I want to do something besides walking. There is a barre class on Tuesday's that I think I will do every other Tuesday. I took it twice and my thighs cried for mercy, but I am a sucker for pain (smile).

Have a great day everyone.
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon Cool Kids! Another all morning meeting. Blah! But a nice day, so far, to be out of the office. The agency I work for provides services in two counties and so I had to go the other county this morning for my meeting- about a 30 minute drive with no traffic, so it was nice to be out.

I ran this morning. It was a good run overall. I am not fast, as I have said before, but I do enjoy just being able to get out there and run since I could not run this time last year.

Caramel- you are very kind. I have to admit that sometimes it is all I can do to drag myself out of bed in the morning to workout, but I do it because I have come to far to stop now!! Hope you find something you can do on Tuesdays that doesn't overwork you! Don't injure yourself just to get in an extra workout. We do need to rest our bodies as well.

Emmalu- I hope things I looking up for you. Stay strong and be patient. It's not a sprint, it's a marathon!

Beeps- enjoy your quiet time. It's one thing I feel that I never get enough of!!

To All~ Have a good day and work hard!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,997 Member
    Options
    caramel, you must mean "enjoy your NO family time"....lol....cause my family is leaving me, TODAY. (I have to stay and work.)

KellySue - I am always impressed that you get your workouts in during the morning....I seem completely unable to do that. I get up, visit with kidlets, grab coffee and go to work.

JustFindingMe - I have heard that a maintenance-week is a really solid idea to breaking a plateau. I feel like I've been eating "at maintenance" for the last 8 weeks, but the scale says I have obviously been eating BEYOND maintenance, because it just keeps going UP.

Emmalusmom - I do get my work-outs in at lunch....that's when I have to squish them in. (Well, 3 extended lunch breaks....and then the other 2 days I take NO lunch and I never take any morning or afternoon breaks, either.)

I am soooooooooooooooooooo bored, it isn't even funny! I think THAT itself is contributing to my general lethargy. I need an (internet) hobby.
  • mrbyte
    mrbyte Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Thanks KellySue - I have been wondering the same thing. Maybe I should try a few more calories a day and see how it goes. I just start feeling guilty when it starts going over the limit the MFP has set for me. But it never asked how much I consumed before either. I apperciate the words of encourgement. This is so very important to me.

Just remember that those are estimates. Not exact. I have been going over my limits by 300 to 700 calories daily and I'm still fighting to stay where I am. I'd say it's the average of where you are holding on the scale and then adjust to go up and down! You'll find the magic combo and get it done.
  • Curiousgeorgianna
    Curiousgeorgianna Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Good mornng Cool Kids!
    My apologies for going AWOL.
    Remember that part about the dangers of standing on a motorcycle? ...
    My BF dropped his bike on his leg Friday, and it's broken in several places. Even worse, he did this a few hours out a bad dirt road where there's no cell service. It was 8 hours before all was said and done and we got him to the hospital. He's ok. In reasonable spirits, and scheduled for surgery tomorrow to get a plate and some screws added to his anatomy.
    The good news is that I had to do a lot of lifting! LIft heavy motorcycle. Lift heavy motorcycle hauler. Lift not so heavy BF.
    All of this has added an additional 2 lb. loss over last week.
    I've only had the chance to glance briefly through the thread, and hope to have a more thorough read this eve after I run about doing some pre-op chores and find some medical equipment so the poor man can have a shower!
    Keep up the good work everyone!
  • GeekMeister
    GeekMeister Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Curious, sorry to hear about your BF. Hope he recovers quickly.
  • Emmalusmom
    Emmalusmom Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    JFM - I would love to try the additional calories with you. To be honest I really don't know what I am doing. I just know that I am sick and tired of being fat and unhealthy, but most of all not living up to my potential.

Mrbyte - Thanks for the reality check. LOL! I guess that I was taking it way to literal. I must remind myself that I have to find what works for me and my body.

I am open to any suggestion that you all may have. Like I said I am just out here winging it to see what works.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Ouch, curious!! Yep....this is why all we ever tell our kids is "motorcycles are dangerous", lol. (My husband had 3 life-threatening motorcycle accidents before we got married. When we got married, the bike had to go!)

also, please remember, ladies, dudes can eat WAY more calories - and get away with it! Even when they are losing bodyfat....that d*mn testosterone provides them with "benefits" that chicks don't get. Plus, normally men are TALLER, so them eating MORE, might have NOTHING to do with what a short woman can eat.

I am married to a 6'3" guy....even though I am a tall woman (5'9"), I cannot even come CLOSE to chowing down the food he eats. He doesn't gain. H*ll, i do. forget it.

Sucks. But true.

Got my weight-lifting in-and-done and my glutes are nicely sore. I'll take it!
  • KellySue67
    Options
    Curious- that stinks about your BF. Hope his surgery goes well and that he recovers quickly!!
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon cool kids. I've been over at Mamma's house mopping, doing dishes, cleaning the yard and hoeing melons and cantaloupe. I lucked out as there was a Gregg Allman tribute on AXS{?}TV, one of the few music channels she has. Lots of my favorite blues men on there. That made the time go by a little easier.

Curious, sorry about the wreck. Hope he comes through the surgery alright.

I'm going to go canoeing again tomorrow. This time I have arranged for my sister to drop me off at Peacock Bridge up in Jackson County on her way to work. So no having to paddle upstream. I will go down to 10 Mile Creek, where I put in last week. It will be a full day on the water, but after my knee problem last time, I will take the time to get out and stretch my legs every couple of hours. Last night was the first time my knee didn't hurt when I was walking. I have a camo cushion for the tree stand that I will have to look up. The higher my butt is, the less strain the bar will put on my knees. Or so I hope.

Last week's trip was spur of the moment, and I didn't have a very well stocked tackle box. So I've been out in the shed digging through old tackle boxes, some of which belonged to my ex-husband in law. Me and Margie have been married 23 years, so that tells you how long these boxes have sat unused. I never had the pleasure of meeting the man, but he was organized. There is no mistaking his tackle boxes from mine:blushing:

Margie is working late today. She has poll worker's training again. This is for the folks who missed all the other classes, so there shouldn't be that many people. I have a pot of peas simmering on the stove, but haven't decided what else I'm going to cook. I guess I should decide pretty soon.

I hope everyone is having a good day.

Larro
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Just a quick hello!!!!!! We've been having so much fun in the sun!!!! We spent some time at the beach this morning. It was great!!! Last night after dinner we went to a family entertainment area and rode the Go Karts. She's having a blast! We might do the pirate cruise tonight. Btw she is 6. Some of you might remember when she was born, yes, time flies!!!!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    6!?!?!? Holy moly! I remember go-kart days with my kids....now we are nearing learner-s-permit age....

larro - yes, STRETCH those legs! You have a solid plan....now it is all in the execution!

Off to the hair salon....and then a LARGE HOME with PURE SILENCE in it. Eery?? Nope. Welcoming. Quiet. No food allowed, but a good book works!
  • kjgarcia
    kjgarcia Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Good Morning everyone :)

JustFindingMe....Way to go on your $450, that's awesome! Hopefully you find a new social circle soon, that has to be a big adjustment!

Curious....Sorry to hear about your BF, that's scary!

Alf...enjoy the beach. We live in/near such beautiful mountains, but I do miss the ocean. I love the feel of it, the smell of it, the sound of it...everything!

Beeps...enjoy your quiet time. When I find myself home alone (not often!) I usually don't even turn on the tv, radio, or anything. Just relax :) I never used to be that way when I was younger. I would want something on just for noise...yeah, those days are long gone LOL
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    kjgarcia....last night was a slice of heaven catching up on trash tv, lol! I went to bed on time, slept like a baby, and then woke up to an EMPTY HOUSE, which I did NOT like....NOT ONE BIT!

I raced to get ready for work so I could get the HECK outta there and see some PEOPLE!

lol....my husband was up working while the kids still slept, so we BBM'd for awhile. Now I am good!

Rest day - no work-out. Will keep calories tight. 2 more days in FIGHT phase and then I should be SUGAR-CRAVING free and the road ahead will be that "yellow brick road". BOOM!
  • KellySue67
    Options
    Good morning cool kids! These all morning meetings have got to stop!! I had another one today that was only supposed to last an hour and ended up lasting two. UGH! The good thing is that I didn't get out until just about 11:00 and I am leaving at 12:00 for the day to go hang out with my grandson!! I did not work out this am, but will be doing a lot of walking this afternoon. We are taking Jake to Farm Days so he can see all of the tractors and big equipment that he loves.

Have a good day all!
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Good morning cool kids.....Hope all of you are well.

Beeps...I thought you would enjoy your quiet, but since that is not the case, I hope your family returns to you soon so you can have some normalcy.

Alf--enjoy your time away. You are creating such beautiful memories.

KJ..Hope you are well

Curious..Sorry to hear about your BF. I am sure you will make sure he gets the best care possible.

KellySue, take me with you, I want to see the tractors too (lol)

I feel myself in a slight rut and I am not real motivated about boxing today. I will do something different today, just not sure what just yet.
  • JustFindingMe
    JustFindingMe Posts: 390 Member
    Options

I feel myself in a slight rut and I am not real motivated about boxing today. I will do something different today, just not sure what just yet.

Caramel - You box ? That's awesome! Ive always been interested ! How long? Have you seen an increase in muscle?

JFM
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Hello cool kids!
    Wow, lots of action these past few days! I did read through the posts quickly.
    Welcome to the new comers!! The group certainly is growing in size, which is awesome!

CG - YIKES! Sorry to hear about our BF, but glad to hear all is going to be ok!
    JFM - Congrats on the cash win!!! :drinker:
    larro - good to hear your mamma is doing better. That is always a concern when a parent is aging and "things" start to happen.
    carmel - you in a rut? You are just a going concern, always doing something amazing! Am sure today will be no different.
    Beeps - enjoy the time on your own, it will end soon enough. Yes, a quiet house in the morning is not pleasant. My husband worked out of town for 5 years and it was always so hard once he left. There was always an adjustment period, when he left and again when he came home. He is home FT now and it's wonderful! :heart:
    Kelly - enjoy your afternoon with Jake. It does sound like a fun afternoon.

Had a super fun weekend! Was busy, busy, busy - had lots of family visiting. Hosted a family dinner one night and many were asking for my "healthy" recipes.
    Lots of visiting, lots of laughs. Really worked on watching my eating as I didn't get the workouts in. I did get a great hike in on Monday though. :happy:
    Did the walk / run thing with my gf yesterday that is learning to run. I was feeling pretty crappy, so doing a nice slow walk / run was perfect!
    Am expecting company this afternoon, but am not sure what is going on - if they are planning to stay with me or not. If not, I am heading out for a hike! Made a plan to hike all the trails in the park by the fall. There are a lot of them, some are close and doable after work, others are farther away and longer, so need a weekend to get those done.

Had some fabulous news on the weekend. I am going to be a grandmother again!!!!!!!!:bigsmile: Our youngest son and his wife (the ones that got married last September) are expecting a baby in February! So excited!

The B&B continues to be very busy, which is all good. The extra $$ is nice as we did a fair amount of maintenance work on the house. Luckily, had no bookings or calls on the weekend when all the family was visiting, so we were free to just relax and ENJOY! :happy:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Congrats on the "new baby" news, sdereski....that sounds wonderful!

I went and had a quick 20-minute visit with my oldest son on his lunch "hour"....I haven't had any ALONE time with him in 100 years and it felt super-nice to spend even a little time with him. He is going to be off on band-tour (Europe this time!) come the fall.....