Time to Tackle P90X - and You Can, Too..! Starting Monday 3/

Options

Replies

• aprilvet
    aprilvet Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Tony. I'll compare it nutritionally to what I use right now. To be honest, its 220 cals is a lot for me to expend post workuot at this point- at least until I add back enough cardio.:huh:
  • trenauldo
    trenauldo Posts: 235
    Options
    P90X DAY SIX - Kenpo X

Well, being a martial artist, I've been looking forward to this workout all week. Tony had a touch of kicks and punching in Power90, but he's called this workout specifically "Kenpo X", so of course, I was interested to look at the techniques through my Ryukyu Kempo-colored lenses. At the end of the day, this felt to me like an extended version of the Power90 punch/kick sections with some additional techniques added in, though that is not to say the workout was a breeze - not by a longshot.

To a person who isn't a martial artist or who doesn't have a background in say dance or gymnastics (for balance and bodily awareness), I would imagine this was quite challenging. For me, the techniques were not terribly difficult to master, so I could really focus on leaving as much of me on the mat as possible in that hour. I must have been doing just that because every time I checked my heart rate monitor, I was up over 160 bpm, well into my 80%+ range of my max heart rate, and that tells me I was pushing good and hard - "Keeping it in the zone," as Tony Horton would say.

So, all told, this was a good, thorough sweat machine, which means I'll be eagerly back for more come next week. Tomorrow is a well-deserved rest; WEEK ONE of P90X is in the record books, and I'm ready for Monday.
  • trenauldo
    Options
    Thanks, Tony. I'll compare it nutritionally to what I use right now. To be honest, its 220 cals is a lot for me to expend post workuot at this point- at least until I add back enough cardio.:huh:
    April... I believe the nutrient mix is intended for specific bodily needs in the 1-hour window following intense workout sessions (which is all P90X is, no doubt). On the macronutrient level, it seems to be doing two things: replacing muscle glycogen with the 36g of sugars, and providing muscle repair and growth material with the 10g protein.

I hear you on the caloric value. For me, I'm going strictly by the P90X nutrition plan (I do Level III), so the drink's calories are already factored into my daily intake. Don't forget, if you work this program good and hard like it's designed for, you'll be burning a ton of calories (I torched 700 tonite doing Kenpo X), and keeping calories too low in this kind of program can be detrimental - just a thought.

Keep at it girl... You're doing great!
  • nbyrd
    nbyrd Posts: 9
    Options
    I'm definitly sticking with it... thanks for the reassurance Tony.

Kenpo X was far and away the most fun so far, that didn't feel like a workout compared to the rest of the week. P90X really is put together well, keeps you coming back for more.

Nutrition talk... I'm using Whey after work outs with the maintenance level of creatine mixed into some skim milk... hoping that will be as good as the recovery drink. I do however use those Advant Edge low carb drinks every day at 10am and 3pm as my snack replacement, and love them.
  • aprilvet
    Options
    Thanks for the info and support, Tony and nbyrd! Today I did StretchX. I really needed it! I tend to feel my workouts 1-2 days later, and boy, was I sore this morning!

Tony, I know most people really burn the cals with these workouts, but in week 1 I didn't get those huge calorie burns. I also did not do any added cardio. Now that I know what to expect, I'll add in some light running early and push harder in the workouts!:smile: Start week 2 tomorrow- chest and back, here we come!!!:bigsmile:
  • eriny
    eriny Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    hello and goodmorning 100 situps , 100 pushups , 20 hanging knee (high as the bar ) lifts , 20 leglifts with 10 lbs ball , 20 floor knee lifts with 10lb ball :glasses:
  • eriny
    Options
    thanks to all here that helped with question but i think i am going against it . i went on u tube p90x results nothing like tv info they are good some results 90% finished no better then where im at now (result wise) plus most are young 16-25 looks like . though here i learn how to eat so dont need that part . so thank you again i will still post on p90x links so together lets kick some *kitten* :mad:
  • aprilvet
    Options
    Erin, your results speak for themselves!!! Keep it up!

Finished day 8- chest and back, plus ARX!!! I definately pushed myself more, and burned more calories!!!!:bigsmile: I also ran 2 miles this am to boost my cals.:drinker:

Bought new shoes for plyo with added padding!:laugh:

Tony, how's it going?
  • tracy24
    tracy24 Posts: 188
    Options
    hey everyone hows it going? week 4 day 2 done!! also ran mile and half at lunch break today!! :happy:
  • jeena
    jeena Posts: 29
    Options
    Hey fellow p90xers!! I have missed you guys! I was doing well and then family emergencies just wrecked my first week. :frown: Just when I had the mind, body and food set. The best part though I did not give in to the tasty, delicious looking treats that were parading in front of me. The more I looked at them the more nauseous I got.
    I am back and just going to repeat my first week.:drinker:
  • trenauldo
    Options
    P90X DAY EIGHT - Chest & Back, ARX

I've toughed out the first week, and I'm still alive, so it appears this won't quite be the death of me. Now that I've got a feel for what to expect the rest of this month, I decided to push a bit harder today than last Monday, and I have been paying for it most of the day.

However, I do feel like I accomplished a fair bit today. Never having done pull-up work in a serious way before, I was able to pump out at least five pull-ups in every set throughout the whole workout with just a light touch of chair assistance; for me, this felt like a major accomplishment. As sore as I was after the workout, I am definitely ready for more. My upper body and arms had a good, pumped burn in them all day, and I felt good and tight. Made this one of the most pleasant Mondays I can remember.

So, WEEK TWO is under way, and tomorrow is the MUTHA! Goodness, it'll be fun to see if I can keep up in Plyo any better than last Tuesday... but I am ready to go!!!
  • trenauldo
    Options
    Eriny... You are an animal brother, so don't you go anywhere..! You are always welcome here my friend. Just reading about what you're doing every day gets me pumped and motivated.

April... I am hanging in there sister... lol. I hear you about the shoes. I don't think my Nikes I have are gonna cut it in Plyo for the long haul. I had the same problem in Power90 that I would start aching through the arch of my feet (mostly my right) as I got toward the end of the high-impact section of the Sweat workouts. I think some new shoes are in order.

Jeena... First, I do hope things are ok with your family. Scary times like that can sure take a toll on your workouts. I've got two elderly grandparents in the hospital as of today. One has an aneurism and a mass on her ovary, and the other will need gallstone surgery at the least. Not fun. :frown:

Secondly, WAY TO GO for picking the workout back up and getting re-focused! Glad to see you're back; the more the merrier. Doesn't matter in the least that you're starting back at Square One... We'll be here for a good three months if not longer, so you're right at home. :smile: I have every intention of doing either another round of the "X" after this one's done or trying a round of P90X+. Tony Horton also has those "One on One" series of workouts, so that's another one I'm considering. I'm just lovin' this stuff... Hurts like heck some days, but it's wonderful!!!

Tracy... Hey there, doing just fine, thanks. I put a post about each and every workout here, so it's easy to tell how I'm doing... lol. Ran a mile and a half at lunch, eh? Looks like we have yet ANOTHER workout animal here... WOO HOO!
  • tracy24
    Options
    good morning p90xers! woke up this morning with so much energy! zoom zoom! may take lunch early so i can go run! hey Tony thanks for the motivation and support! Have a great day!:smile:
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    P90X DAY EIGHT - Chest & Back, ARX

I've toughed out the first week, and I'm still alive, so it appears this won't quite be the death of me. Now that I've got a feel for what to expect the rest of this month, I decided to push a bit harder today than last Monday, and I have been paying for it most of the day.

However, I do feel like I accomplished a fair bit today. Never having done pull-up work in a serious way before, I was able to pump out at least five pull-ups in every set throughout the whole workout with just a light touch of chair assistance; for me, this felt like a major accomplishment. As sore as I was after the workout, I am definitely ready for more. My upper body and arms had a good, pumped burn in them all day, and I felt good and tight. Made this one of the most pleasant Mondays I can remember.

So, WEEK TWO is under way, and tomorrow is the MUTHA! Goodness, it'll be fun to see if I can keep up in Plyo any better than last Tuesday... but I am ready to go!!!

Wait until you get to weeks 9,10, 11, etc. You'll freak when you see how many more pushups/pullups you can do versus when you started. I've doubled my pushups.
  • trenauldo
    Options
    Tracy... No problem, you wokrout animal! Keep coming back... Motivation and accontability are what we're all about on this thread...

Oh... and I just burnt up 993 calories with Plyo X... WOO HOO!!!!!

Off to the office... Will post later... Have a great morning my peeps... :bigsmile:
  • eriny
    Options
    goodmorning :flowerforyou: 100 situps ,100 (25 incline)(25 wide)(25 waist)(25 normal)pushups ,40 floor leglifts w 10lb ball ,5 Dragon Flags ,20 kneelifts , 10 hanging knee lifts to hanging bar :glasses:
  • aprilvet
    Options
    Survived day 9- plyo!! New shoes made it a little better, but my feet still hurt after the circle runs.:grumble: It felt great today- I was able to push harder and burn more calories!! WooHoo!!!:drinker:
  • tracy24
    Options
    hey tony hope you had a great day! week 4 day 3 done! Also ran mile and half at lunch! going to tkd now go go go!
  • MissResa
    MissResa Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I restarted my P90X with Chest and Back... Also played 2 hours of volleyball. Altogether I burned a total of 1,589 calories!!! I need it, though, because with all the chaos at our house and not working out for 6 days, I GAINED 2 pounds!!!:noway: An active volcano we have here in Alaska also erupted on Monday... Wanna guess who lives nearby? This last week has definitely been a real kicker for our family, but I am officially back on track and have Plyo to enjoy tonight... Hope everyone has a great day!!!
  • jeena
    jeena Posts: 29
    Options
    Hey gang. Thanks for being on this p90xer journey. I did KenpoX just to get the last bit of frustration out that was nagging me. Boy did it feel great. I am glad to see the success and the pain that we all are having. Spinning and StretchX tomorrow:happy: